Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ancestry DNA tests

BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
I think these are really interesting and I plan to discover my genetic ancestry as soon as I've saved up for it.
Has anyone done a test? did you discover anything interesting?
If you haven't done a test, would you want to or not?
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I have some friends on this forum who tried it. They're white Americans, and most of their ancestry is Western European (and no native American ancestry). I've thought of doing it too, but it tends to slip my mind. I already know I'm a quarter Chinese, but it would be interesting to know the blend of the remaining 75%. :D
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    I have a pretty extensive knowledge of my father side because my great father is interested in genealogy
    But I have almost no knowledge of my mother side
    And I'd like to know, even though this would probably be mostly Western European
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif

• Options
    ShadyboopShadyboop Posts: 6,751 Member
    I have a chance to have some european because colonaization...
    I prefer Shade than Shady
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited May 2018
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I have some friends on this forum who tried it. They're white Americans, and most of their ancestry is Western European (and no native American ancestry). I've thought of doing it too, but it tends to slip my mind. I already know I'm a quarter Chinese, but it would be interesting to know the blend of the remaining 75%. :D

I'm one of them! Bahahaha.

I did it and was happy that I did -- then I bought my parents tests and they did it.

I am very happy I did it, but we didn't have any surprises. I would recommend, but they have sales often -- so wait for one of those.

I did do Ancestry.Com's DNA test.

(I guess the biggest surprise was 10 percent Scandinavian for Dad. )
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Idontrcall wrote: »

I did it and was happy that I did -- then I bought my parents tests and they did it.

I am very happy I did it, but we didn't have any surprises. I would recommend, but they have sales often -- so wait for one of those.

A sale would be nice, because $99 is a bit steep for something that doesn't serve much of a practical purpose. :D
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Idontrcall wrote: »

I too have Scandi blood :) but I don't know how much. Only 1 relative's done the test, my Grandmother, who's 13% Scandinavian.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    It could be interesting to do. My mom is pretty into genealogy and my grandpa had done some extensive research on his/my dad's side. I'm more familiar with what my mom's found, someday maybe I'll get my hands on my grandpa's research and look more at that. But I have some idea of at least some of the nationalities I come from. It would be cool to see a more exact blend though and what might come up that nobody knows about.

My hesitation is really just the cost. I dunno it's worth that much to me at this time. It's a lot of money, a lot. And I get why it's so costly but for me, I'd rather put that money elsewhere. It's not even on my radar right now. Perhaps some day.
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I want to but I don't think i would find anything suprising. Probably mostly West African with some European mixed in.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    I would never use one of these services, because you're giving the company rights to use and store your DNA, and something about that just really freaks me out :joy: especially seeing as the most common service (23andMe) has very close ties to Google, who pretty much know everything about us already - now we're just giving them the rights to our actual DNA...