Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I bought TS3 base game for PC today and..

I'm in love!
I have only played TS3 for PS3 & XBOX 360 before.
The thing that I've always loved most about TS3 is the story progression(TS3 on console had that too) and oh dog I've missed that(yes TS4 has that too with mods but it's not the same thing). I haven't been this excited in ages!

I'm probably gonna stick with just the base game for a few days and enjoy it but I have a guestion for people who know TS3 well:
What packs should I get first?
(Fyi I own all the packs for TS4)

Comments

• Options
    NabrilNabril Posts: 179 Member
    edited April 2018
    Ambitions, I think is a must. Careers and jobs that should have been in the base game. Late Night for Hot Tubs (every Sims 3 game needs hot tubs), and Master Suite (just for more essentials).

Those are on my "must have" list. Now for my likes

Pets if you're like me and must have animals, and Generations if you like fleshing out your childhood Sims.
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    I got a new computer so I decided to try a LEPacy kind of game. So I've got just the base game installed right now. But I can tell you I miss Generations the most. I was going to reinstall all of them in order but I think I might change my own rules and install that one next. Or maybe Ambitions, because I like the self-employed careers.

And actually I realized I just got to generation 6 of my current legacy game. So I'm currently installing the Master Suite SP right now.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Glad you are enjoying it!

There are so many good packs. I would suggest Generations, Seasons, Ambitions or Late night for starters.
  • Options
    imdragonitimdragonit Posts: 1,019 Member
    @ItsJanier depends on your play style but for me supernatural is a must have & world adventures gives you a ton of items as well as game play. Welcome to PC sims 3 :)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Uni is definitely my favorite pack, but when starting from Base Game only? I would suggest Ambitions and LateNite to start out with. Then maybe World Adventures for something different to try. All a matter of preference and the player's style of gameplay, though. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi :)

I would go in order... IF you want to own them all one day. That way you can go* through the growth of the game. -or Ambitions. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited April 2018
    ItsJanier wrote: »
    I'm in love!
    I have only played TS3 for PS3 & XBOX 360 before.
    The thing that I've always loved most about TS3 is the story progression(TS3 on console had that too) and oh dog I've missed that(yes TS4 has that too with mods but it's not the same thing). I haven't been this excited in ages!

I'm probably gonna stick with just the base game for a few days and enjoy it but I have a guestion for people who know TS3 well:
    What packs should I get first?
    (Fyi I own all the packs for TS4)

~really evil expression~

ALL OF THEM!! :D:mrgreen:

But seriously, welcome to TS3 PC. :D

I'd say depending on your game-style.

Get Seasons (you need weather in your game to give you the full experience)
    Get Generations (one of the fun things that you can have is the truly linear experience of a generational legacy).
    Get Late Night - (if you didn't get it with the base game - because it adds jacuzzis and other objects as well as a basic version of vampires with Bridgeport (a new world)

There are so many others, but it would be information overload to dump them all on you at once.

Just so you know, I'm one EP short of having the whole EP set. (Yeah...Showtime and I find out that even SHOWTIME adds something that I want: Golf. what fun).
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)

I would go in order... IF you want to own them all one day. That way you can go* through the growth of the game. -or Ambitions. :mrgreen:

What was said. :D

Screenshot-166.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2018
    Yay! The PC version rocks compared to console version in my opinion. We all have different play styles so I suggest taking a look at some game guides and reviews before purchasing packs. SimsVIP & Carls-Sims-3-Guide both have guides. SimsVIP is detailed w/ pictures but not all packs, Carls has all packs but not many pictures. Lazy Gamer is my favorite reviewer on YouTube and he's done the whole Sims 3 series. If I had to make a suggestion based on my own top pack favs and what I think is most useful starting out... Ambitions. You get self-employed careers and with mods, this can be expanded upon even further than what the pack adds. *Mods are installed differently than Sims 4. Keep that in mind if you plan to mod the game.

The Steam summer sale is coming up. The Sims 3 packs are very likely to go on sale again (75% off). The catch is you must purchase the base game for Steam regardless and then you can purchase packs but they should all be around $5 USD each. Then the purchased packs come with an Origin code and you register that to Origin or you can choose to play on Steam instead.
    KATENESS wrote: »
    I got a new computer so I decided to try a LEPacy kind of game. So I've got just the base game installed right now. But I can tell you I miss Generations the most. I was going to reinstall all of them in order but I think I might change my own rules and install that one next. Or maybe Ambitions, because I like the self-employed careers.

And actually I realized I just got to generation 6 of my current legacy game. So I'm currently installing the Master Suite SP right now.
    Happy for you. :) Did you end up getting your sisters computer? Having done 7 generations myself, you will probably prefer to do it in any order instead of release order. Then you're less likely to get bored.

Starting out in the LEPacy challenge, the only thing I missed (and still miss) is Seasons. I never realized how much weather adds to the game. So simple yet very noticeable when it's missing.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Which pack will be most rewarding largely depends on your style of play.

Single YA just starting out? Try University Life, for a big boost to career from a degree, plus a number of new venues.

Family style play? Generations adds a ton for kids and teens.

And so on.

Seasons and Pets are both very, very demanding on system resources. For me, it's one or the other. I don't care about weather (and in fact prefer for my Sims to be able to have comfortable outdoor access at all times) and Pets has better build/buy and CAS options for me.

Carl's site has a good overview of all the expansions, though, so you can pick what is most appealing to you.
  • Options
    lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    Well, it all depends on what you might feel you need the most based on you game style so...

For more of a realistic gameplay:
    Generations, University Life, Seasons, Pets, Ambitions

For the night/party life:
    Late Night, Showtime

For vacations and stuff:
    World Adventures, Island Paradise

For fantasy and sci/fi:
    Supernatural, Into the future

My personal favourites are:
    Supernatural and Ambitions with Generations on the side :wink:
    (I feel like I just did a pick at least one of the following kind of chart :lol: )

Keep in mind that all of the EP come with a supernatural being included.

If you are into family play Generations it's a must, although I don't think I would recommend it as the first EP, the one I would recommend it's Ambitions and simply go from there.

And I hope you enjoy your game :blush:
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I agree with Rflong7, if you plan to own everything one day go in order. I love that idea!

If not I think Ambitions and Late Night are great places to start, especially if you want to have more career/job oriented gameplay. Ambitions gives self employment and adds to jobs and Late Night not only gives a city but I find the celebrity system helps make careers like athletes, musicians, and writers feel more realistic as well. Late Night also adds the acting career. And if you're going with Late Night I think High-End Loft and Fast Lane complement it perfectly.

Seasons is also a good one. The worlds are beautiful but adding season makes them so much more enchanting. :love:

Really it depends on how you like to play. For me personally Pets and Seasons are must have EP's and Town Life, Outdoor Living, and Fast Lane are the SP's I use the most.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got all of them and play my game very heavily Modded as I found things broken.I got my game set up so I can play my entire towns and have no unwanted changes being made to inactive households without me making them happen.I do use story progression to manage inactives though my story progression is the NRaas Mod version to replace EA's bugfest version.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    Oh wow I didn't expect to get this many comments. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me and being so kind!

When I play Sims games I love creating drama and making interesting stories. The first thing that I thought when I opened TS3 was "Whose life am I gonna ruin first?".
    I feel like it's easier to create drama in TS3 than it is in TS4(In TS4 it seems like you can do anything and Sims just deal with it. But in TS4 it's a different thing.. I sent Simis on a date with Vita(their relationship bar was full), then I was playing with Bella for a while and moved the camera back to Simis who was fighting with Vita.. idk what went wrong with their date but that totally ruined my plan :lol: my master plan is that Simis will make Nancy, Vita & Anges pregnant)

I've been thinking of getting Generations and few stuff packs that has CAS items that I like first.
    Then University, Supernaturals & Ambitions for sure. But before I get any packs I'm gonna watch reviews just to make sure that I know what I'm getting into :smile:
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I've been thinking of getting Generations and few stuff packs that has CAS items that I like first.

I picked up the Expansion Bundle on sale on Origin for 50% off. It's World Adventures and Generations for the price of one EP. I bought it for Generations but ended up liking WA better. Origin sales of TS3 EPs are rare though, but it's something to keep in mind.

I second the Steam sale suggestion. You can get a lot of packs at $5 each that way. Half of the EPs and SPs I own come from Steam sales. I register the CD Keys on Origin and install through Origin.

My favorite EPs: Supernatural, ITF, UL, Ambitions.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Then University, Supernaturals & Ambitions for sure. But before I get any packs I'm gonna watch reviews just to make sure that I know what I'm getting into :smile:

All of those are EPs that I like. I usually hold off on recommending Supernatural, however, because while it is in fact my particular favorite, I know it is a bit niche interest. The town is lovely, though, and it has some nice Build/Buy and CAS selections. Ambitions has some of my favorite hairstyles in the game, as well.

Do check reviews! Carl's site says "Sims 4" in the name, these days, but all his Sims 3 content reviews and discussions are still there, and still valid. Good luck with your choices!

• Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    edited April 2018
    For Stuff Packs, "Master Suite" is the best. I also enjoyed a good part of the content on "Outdoor Living" and some in "Town Life", but if you can splurge a bit, go to the store. Most hairstyles on Stuff Packs are lame. On the store site, you can pick up the best ones.

For expansions, Ambitions is my ultimate "must-have".

It's nice to learn a bit of the mods around, specially the Nraas ones. They enhance the gameplay and help you keep the saves for longer.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I just got them all in order and couldn't consider playing without them all.

I've been doing videos over the past year or so and one of my video series, on YouTube is about World Adventures at the moment. Started out in Isla Paradiso but then they went adventuring and are going through all of the tombs in each world.

Whatever you end up doing it'll be fun.

Happy Simming
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    I can't choose for you because people has different tastes in matter of sp or ep as first my first one was generations.

I love the sims 3 base game really without any mods it's awesome.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I wanna say a BIG thank you for all of you. The tips and opinions that you guys have given to me have been huge help.

I watched all of LGR's pack reviews, CAS videos of the packs and trailers to see which ones I like most.
    I ended up getting "few" packs as a starter gift to myself :blush:
    I got: Generations, Fast Lane Stuff, Master Suite Stuff, University Life, 70's 80's 90's Stuff, Ambitions & Late Night EP.

I'm still on the edge if I should get Supernaturals or not. Witches, Werewolfs & Fairies seem so cool but idk about the Zombies.
    Post edited by ItsJanier on
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    You should have a lot of fun with your new expansions and stuff packs. :) Re. the zombies, if you don't want them, you can avoid them either by setting your lunar phase in options to an unchanging phase of your choice, as long as it's not full moon (this is what I do), or you can also mod them out (I'm not the one to tell you how, though).
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    suzses wrote: »
    You should have a lot of fun with your new expansions and stuff packs. :) Re. the zombies, if you don't want them, you can avoid them either by setting your lunar phase in options to an unchanging phase of your choice, as long as it's not full moon (this is what I do), or you can also mod them out (I'm not the one to tell you how, though).

I had no idea that you could change the lunar phase settings to avoid zombies. This changes everything! Thank you so much.
    I guess I'm just so used to TS4 where you can't really do things like that or change anything without mods.

This means that I'm gonna buy Supernatural soon too :lol: but first I'm gonna focus on the packs that I got today :smile:
    I wanna explore everything. I really feel like a kid in a toy shop.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    If I were you I'd just install one pack at a time.

I remember when Supernatural was going to be released and I heard about zombies. I was so upset I wasn't going to get the EP but there were some really good build items in it too. I got the pack and I've found out how much fun zombies can be. I use all the supernaturals as well. Lots of fun all round.
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    Wow! It sounds like you'll have your hands full with your new content for a while. I agree, it's best to go slow so you can enjoy things and not get overwhelmed. But you also need to check out The Store. The Multitab is a MUST HAVE. Seriously. https://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:50554&categoryId=13177&section=UpSell

@SimplyJen Yep, I did get my sister's computer, and they got me an external drive too. Honestly I'm still figuring it out. :D I might send some questions your way some day if that's ok. (that sort of rhymed!)
    giphy.gif

• Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    Yes! Store items are very helpful and fun to play with. Supernatural is an EP that I can say I use often, even when I'm not playing with different occults. The gem cutter. The elixirs. Definitely one of my favorites.
  • Options
    Karritz wrote: »
    If I were you I'd just install one pack at a time.

I remember when Supernatural was going to be released and I heard about zombies. I was so upset I wasn't going to get the EP but there were some really good build items in it too. I got the pack and I've found out how much fun zombies can be. I use all the supernaturals as well. Lots of fun all round.

I already installed all of the packs that I got. I did that to get new CAS and B&B options. After this I'm gonna take it very very slow. I'm not gonna try any of the new careers yet, go to University or go to Bridgeport.
    I'm gonna stay in Sunset Valley and make sure that Bella & Mortimer ends up together :smile:
    (I honestly can't wait it when Mortimer is old enough to drive. He will totally get one of those classic luxury cars)
    I don't wanna feel overwhelmed with everything new so taking it slow is the only way to go.

I'm mostly worried because of the zombie attacks. My irl friend told me that those happened all the time in her game when she played TS3. She also mentioned that every other Sim in her game ended up being a supernatural after she had played Supernatural for a while.
    But I'm in no rush of getting Supernatural right now so I still have time to decide if it's right for me or not.

KATENESS wrote: »
    Wow! It sounds like you'll have your hands full with your new content for a while. I agree, it's best to go slow so you can enjoy things and not get overwhelmed. But you also need to check out The Store. The Multitab is a MUST HAVE. Seriously. https://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:50554&categoryId=13177&section=UpSell

@SimplyJen Yep, I did get my sister's computer, and they got me an external drive too. Honestly I'm still figuring it out. :D I might send some questions your way some day if that's ok. (that sort of rhymed!)

I'm gonna have my hands full with these packs for months! I think that once I'm done playing with Bachelor family(future Goth family) I'll start a new save in Riverview and play with Don Lothario. He will explore the University Life and hopefully get his memory back.

I'm kinda new with the store thing but I'll totally check it out.

The Sims 3 side of this forum feels like a big family. Everyone is so kind and helpful here. It makes me happy :smile: