Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WHY ARE NONE OF MY BABIES BLUE?? (genetics)

SorokasteSorokaste Posts: 19 Member
edited April 2018 in The Sims 3 Bugs & Issues
So.

Anyone know how The Sims 3 genetics work? :|

I have this beautiful interacial couple of a tan woman and a blue man (with pointy ears). I told them they should have babies. The first baby was a tiny clone of the father. A blue boy (with pointy ears). I decided that I really, REALLY want them to have a girl too. Witht the same features.

Here's the problem.

I've been trying 15 times and I ONLY GET TAN BABIES!! :s At first, I saved right after the musicbox tune/tingling sound after they "successfully" tried for a baby. I've been reliving the next couple of days over and over again like a gosh darn horror movie. And none of the babies were blue. Two or three of them had pointy ears (like the father) but none of them had his skin or eye color. Only mom's.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong, or am I just suffering from an unhealthy amount of failure??
Is there a way to manipulate the genetics (I know eating water melons makes the baby a gir)? I read somewhere that the chances of the baby looking like the father is higher if you let the father initiate the "try for baby" prompt. Anyon know if this is even remotely true?
Post edited by Sorokaste on

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    Without a mod in play to shake things up a bit, by replaying the same household saved after the conception then the resulting baby (or babies if you do in-game things to foster twins or triplets) the game will keep using exactly the same genetic seed values. Replaying and getting identical or almost identical results each time would be totally expected. If your sims actually had 15 babies coming from 15 different conceptions in succession in an ongoing timeline, then this would still be possible but much less probable. Just as it's possible to toss a coin in the air and get "heads" 15 times in a row.

There is a mod, that would be NRaas MasterController, with a command that can help shift the genetic seed value around. MC could also be used to Play With Genetics on a baby (or any sim) who is already born, calling for genetic re-blends of the two parents until you find one that you like. NRaas StoryProgression has an Advanced Genetics feature that can arrange for yet more blending possibilities and some genetic inheritance from the grandparents, if they are in the same world whether living or dead. But even with SP and Advanced Genetics, re-playing the exact same saved conception repeatedly will still give you very similar results each time because the underlying seed value will not shift.

There really isn't any way to influence genetics other than gender without mods.

Yes on the fruits to influence gender, though. It's up to five apples for boys, up to five watermelons for girls, if you feed them both fruits they will cancel each other out, they must all be eaten during the first 2 trimesters (2 sim days on a standard length pregnancy) after which they will have no effect except for being a healthy snack for the pregnant sim. I've never heard of the gender of the sim initiating making a baby having any influence, sorry but that sounds like an urban legend of some kind.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    SorokasteSorokaste Posts: 19 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Without a mod in play to shake things up a bit, by replaying the same household saved after the conception then the resulting baby (or babies if you do in-game things to foster twins or triplets) will keep using exactly the same genetic seed values. Replaying and getting identical or almost identical results each time would be totally expected. If your sims actually had 15 babies coming from 15 different conceptions in succession in an ongoing timeline, then this would still be possible but much less probable. Just as it's possible to toss a coin in the air and get "heads" 15 times in a row.

There is a mod, that would be NRaas MasterController, with a command that can help shift the genetic seed value around. MC could also be used to Play With Genetics on a baby (or any sim) who is already born, calling for genetic re-blends of the two parents until you find one that you like. NRaas StoryProgression has an Advanced Genetics feature that can arrange for yet more blending possibilities and some genetic inheritance from the grandparents, if they are in the same world whether living or dead. But even with SP and Advanced Genetics, re-playing the exact same saved conception repeatedly will still give you very similar results each time because the underlying seed value will not shift.

There really isn't any way to influence genetics other than gender without mods.

Yes on the fruits to influence gender, though. It's up to five apples for boys, up to five watermelons for girls, if you feed them both fruits they will cancel each other out, they must all be eaten during the first 2 trimesters (2 sim days on a standard length pregnancy) after which they will have no effect except for being a healthy snack for the pregnant sim. I've never heard of the gender of the sim initiating making a baby having any influence, sorry but that sounds like an urban legend of some kind.

Thank you SO MUCH for your very elaborated answer. I feel much wiser now. :smiley:

I'm playing without mods right now (not sure if my computer could handle them, it barely wants to run the game as it is...) but I may try it if I grow too frustrated with the current strategy. Thanks again! :)
  • Options
    exyurockexyurock Posts: 25 Member
    MasterController is a MUST. For the lag that you mentioned, try Overwatch. Helped my poor computer a lot.