Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Corrupt CC: Unable to find it

I've had this issue for a while, where if one of my sims takes a bath or bathes a baby or something this shows up.

1zp0j7c.jpg

I used Dashboard's Delphy to find my corrupted files. I only found one and so I deleted it from my game. This is still happening. There's either shoes or a shirt that's corrupt as adult shoes will appear on an infant sim and glitch out my game. I have downloaded sims from The Exchange... maybe that's why?

Though this proves to be rather entertaining... it's also very annoying. Suggestions on how to alleviate this would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    It’s scary! Like a horror movie...

My experience is that you not only have to delete the file, but also find it in the launcher and remove it there.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Delphy's Dashboard only checks .package based CC. Sims from the Exchange are .sims3pack based. You'd need CUSTARD to check .sims3pack files. Once you find .sims3packs with corrupt CC you'll either have to uninstall the CC from the Launcher if the CC shows up, or uninstall the whole sim.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I would highly suggest CUSTARD as @TreyNutz recommends and when you go to install your Sims3packs. Make sure that you have a folder in which you put copies of your Sims3packs so that you know exactly what went into your Mods folder. That way you won't have to search 150,000 pieces of Sims3packs to try and find your corrupt CC. As it is, you may have to pull out every Sims3pack and start over, checking each Sims3pack as you install them.

I don't know if CUSTARD can give false positives like Delphy's can.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Yes on Custard, but that won't do the job completely. First you have to identify the downloaded sim whose file contained the "bad CC" and get rid of them otherwise it will just keep coming back. Then Method by Mell to purge the unwanted item from where it would be hiding, installed in a dbc file in the DCCache folder even though you did not Launcher install the item yourself (on purpose).
    https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

Or the more extreme solution, pull out your entire TS3 user game folder and start over with the fresh one that will spawn it its place on the next launch. Then start putting your store and custom content back, hopefully without the offending item or the sim who was carrying it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Missa_SissaMissa_Sissa Posts: 328 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Yes on Custard, but that won't do the job completely. First you have to identify the downloaded sim whose file contained the "bad CC" and get rid of them otherwise it will just keep coming back. Then Method by Mell to purge the unwanted item from where it would be hiding, installed in a dbc file in the DCCache folder even though you did not Launcher install the item yourself (on purpose).
    https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

Or the more extreme solution, pull out your entire TS3 user game folder and start over with the fresh one that will spawn it its place on the next launch. Then start putting your store and custom content back, hopefully without the offending item or the sim who was carrying it.

Will deleting the corrupt sim delete the corrupt CC?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    igazor wrote: »

Will deleting the corrupt sim delete the corrupt CC?
    No, because it has left the sim and nestled itself in the catacombs of the launcher. But obviously you have to get rid of the corrupted sim and the bad CC file first (before following igazor’s advice).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I'll try Custard and see what that does first.
  • Options
    I found my corrupted cc (I think) just by looking at the launcher! I will use Custard for future reference. Thanks for your guys' help! :)
  • Options
    Nevermind... it's still there. My babies are still broken.

6rohl2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Did you try this suggestion yet?

If this also fails, you could uninstall the basegame and reinstall it (hope you’re not trying to avoid patch 1.69 because after reinstalling I suppose you’ll be on that patch).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    My babies are broken my toddlers are broken my game is broken and I am done. Goodbye for now, going on a long long hiatus. Because I have tried literally everything.
  • Options
    So you also tried what igazor suggested in his second paragraph or reinstalling the game?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I'm sorry that this is so frustrating for the OP. But the warnings about not to use downloaded sims (and lots) from the Exchange or other sources that do not screen their members' offerings without carefully inspecting them in Custard first are all over the place and have been widely discussed for years.

It sounds to me like the OP was hoping for a single step solution (get rid of/fix the sim OR get rid of the CC instance through the Launcher). Those won't work, the item(s) will just keep coming back. It could have been on multiple sims. Or represented in the DCCache dbc files multiple times or there could have been several bad CC items in play. These things can indeed be very cumbersome to get rid of, that I agree with, and reinstalling the game won't help either since the problem is in the TS3 user game folder in Documents, not in the Program Files. Carefully rebuilding the game folder without the suspect items and sims with the ultimate goal of moving ones saves into it (again without the installed sims in them) is the only way to go if the two steps of get rid of the sims and Method by Mell to purge the items through the Launcher are not effective or too difficult to use.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Hey @igazor this shows up in CAS when I click on it. Does any of that info help you identify it?

2i6nawx.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Missa_Sissa - That is identifying information for a CAS part yes, but I'm afraid that doesn't tell us all of the places where it is or could be hiding in your game folder. As mentioned, downloaded sims can be carrying it (even if they aren't wearing it) as revealed through Custard and it likely keeps ending up going from there to the dbc files in the DCCache folder. In addition, as another player mentioned, it could be copied into DCBackup if you don't routinely clear that out (except for the one required ccmerged.package file).

That info could be used to hide the item from CAS catalogs (that the player sees) or to do up an NRaas Dresser mod invalid parts blacklist, but these aren't what you want here as they don't really remove the item from the game folder.

If that is indeed the (or one) offending part, then I guess that would be the item code (the "instance number") to be looking for when examining downloaded sims in Custard so that might help identify it there.

Perhaps someone else here will know what else can be done with that information, but as far as I know there are no shortcuts to flushing these things out that haven't already been described.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,363 Member
    edited March 2018
    @Missa_Sissa

You are chasing the wind! You have some bad stuff in your game, more than just one thing. Just to elaborate on igazor's very good advice in simple terms:

1. Go to documents and pull your Electronic Arts folder out, drop it on your desktop.
    2. Open your game, which will create a new Electronic Arts folder.
    3. Open your old and your new Electronic Arts folder. Transfer from your old folder to your new folder these items - anything in ContentPatch folder, the ccmerged.package in your DCBackup folder, any files in the DCCache folder that end with .ebc (that is your store content). If you have any store lots installed you can transfer those from your library.
    4. Start your game. This will be a cc-free game save. If you're real attached to one of your saves add it to the saves folder and see if it works, and if the bad cc appears again, start this process all over again and don't add your save.

Don't delete the old folder until you know you have everything from it that you want. You can now add back your cc back a little at a time but check with custard or learn how to convert s3p's to package files so you can just take it out if it causes problems. I recommend not installing sims unless you learn to use custard because even if people say they are 'cc free', if they have bad cc in their game folder it could tag along.

ETA: Any saved sims or library files could be infected, so I wouldn't transfer those unless you're willing to start all over again. Also check screenshots for any pictures you want before deleting the old folder. Also transfer any store worlds from your 'InstalledWorlds' folder.
  • Options
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @Missa_Sissa

You are chasing the wind! You have some bad stuff in your game, more than just one thing. Just to elaborate on igazor's very good advice in simple terms:

1. Go to documents and pull your Electronic Arts folder out, drop it on your desktop.
    2. Open your game, which will create a new Electronic Arts folder.
    3. Open your old and your new Electronic Arts folder. Transfer from your old folder to your new folder these items - anything in ContentPatch folder, the ccmerged.package in your DCBackup folder, any files in the DCCache folder that end with .ebc (that is your store content). If you have any store lots installed you can transfer those from your library.
    4. Start your game. This will be a cc-free game save. If you're real attached to one of your saves add it to the saves folder and see if it works, and if the bad cc appears again, start this process all over again and don't add your save.

Don't delete the old folder until you know you have everything from it that you want. You can now add back your cc back a little at a time but check with custard or learn how to convert s3p's to package files so you can just take it out if it causes problems. I recommend not installing sims unless you learn to use custard because even if people say they are 'cc free', if they have bad cc in their game folder it could tag along.

ETA: Any saved sims or library files could be infected, so I wouldn't transfer those unless you're willing to start all over again. Also check screenshots for any pictures you want before deleting the old folder. Also transfer any store worlds from your 'InstalledWorlds' folder.

I've literally done all of that. It doesn't seem to be glitching too bad, though it's annoying how Custard and Delphy's Dashboard aren't showing any corrupted packages. I guess I'll play as is for now.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,363 Member
    You've done all that and still have the corrupt CC? Then you're putting something back into that folder that has the corrupt CC attached.

Custard and Dashboard are very useful but they are old tools that have not been updated and will not recognize everything that is corrupt.
  • Options
    budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    Hey @igazor this shows up in CAS when I click on it. Does any of that info help you identify it?

2i6nawx.jpg

Instance numbers can only help locate cc if they are in .package form. For .package form cc use this tutorial to locate cc by instance numbers:
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Finding+CC+In+The+Packages+Folder+Using+Instance+Numbers
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    This is why I don't download Sims from the exchange because you never know what you are downloading!
    4Wv5dIG.jpg