Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotational Play

Comments

• Options
    PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I've never tried rotational play in the same save but I have multiple saves I play from. I just load whatever one I'm in the mood for.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited March 2018

I actually dont want more than one child . Dont see the point lol :) It also contributes to me being able to play a single family. Because the focus will always be only on the main sim or couple . I wont move any of my sims out into a different house, once they are there, they are there for life. And once the one child becomes adult, they are the head of the household <3 Keeps it SIMPLE @keekee53
  • Options
    I_Wanted_To_Be_EdgyI_Wanted_To_Be_Edgy Posts: 186 Member
    For my main sims who I write about I HAVE to play rotational as they're all in my edits and therefore I switch between at least 8+ families to see how their lives play out, it'd be weird if I wrote about them all but only focused on one household. Then the only other families I tend to play aside from them are sims 4 challenge families in new saves - and those I NEVER ever rotate on, it's one family and that's it. So for me, it just depends. I can see both sides. I do find rotational play a little exhausting though - I never feel like I give everyone enough attention since i DO have favorites.
    giphy.gif

I only played with you, string between a kitten's mitts.

Origin ID: Azaylia
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm a loud fan of rotational play now which is true. I wasn't always like that though. This is the first version where I play one save rotationally and I've really embraced it. I don't judge others for playing differently at all though and I think it is great that there are so many ways to do so.

I guess it's just a question of how you want to focus your attention. I guess I get motivated by drawing up storylines as I watch different characters interact with each other. The game becomes a plot-generating exercise for me or a lesson in observing interactions between different personalities. I'm often thinking, "Why is this character doing this? What is his/her motivation? How will the others react based upon what I know of them? What is realistic and what entertains me?" I do think a lot about character development and so I do concentrate on individual characters but I think of them in terms of how they fit into the little society that I've created.

That playstyle totally works for me and will keep me entertained whenever I want to play TS4. I end up getting excited by wondering where things are going. I experience a lot of different environments and scenarios. I find it interesting to push myself to connect with each of the households that I play. The style also keeps me from abandoning saves which is what I used to do frequently. I used to go onto the next save without going back but through the rotation, I do return to households as I watch how they change and how they influence my other households as well as the townies.

I'm glad that you have a playstyle that you enjoy. I've really enjoyed playing that way sometimes. I spent basically all of TS2 very absorbed with one main family. They didn't look like me or have much in common with me except that they were productive members of society who were interested in learning a lot. They were very aspirational sims who made a lot of money and moved into a massive custom-built mansion. I had a lot of fun with them though I remember it taking them a hilariously long time to walk around their mansion or to leave for work or school.

I agree with those who say that it is great that there are various directions that you can go in depending upon how you want to do so.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Yep ! We all have to find what works for us! Now all I need is at least one filler/background family , to put in another household that I dont play and just have them around as buddies for my sims <3

All my sims are a different ethnicity than what I am . Which I enjoy. Sims is my escape from this dull world w :)@ChampandGirlie <3
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    With mods like MC Command Center other families can progress without me having to actively play them or go into Manage Households to add toddlers/children. Sometimes I get some interesting situations, like when Gavin Richards was going around impregnating the whole save (had something like 13 kids with different women) but definitely keeps the ghouame interesting. I'll occasionally play rotationally but mostly I stick to one household.

The hardest part of playing rotationally is arriving at your new household at the right time; if you switch earlier in the day you end up with Sims that are missing work and school and have to do something about that.

My next save file is going to be different. I took one of my current saves and made a copy of it (it has an almost completed rocket ship at the Arts and Science Center) then I deleted every Sim (pre-made and game generated) and added in Sims that I had in my Library. Next step is to go to the Gallery and find some families, some just couples and others full families, and recreate some Sims I had in past saves (I had an alien family named the Travelers, for example) and put them in the game. Any game-generated Sim I'll keep if they're single to work NPC jobs like in restaurants or the food stalls, and keep them in the Not in World population. It won't be a strict rotation -- I'll just pick a family and play it for a session, then maybe move on to another family. We'll see how long it takes before I get bored with that plan.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I love rotational play. My longest save is ten different households, played rotationally and generationally. I kept track of all the households and sims in an online database so I can remember what each household is up to. However after playing that save for almost a year, I decided to try playing one family Legacy-style.

I've been having fun with that too, but my problem is I feel constrained playing in one house for so long. I think it's more the house than the family. So having the family move occasionally helps. Recently I've started playing the legacy "spares" as they move out a bit too, so now the legacy is drifting toward rotational play.
  • Options
    You know, even without Mcc families can progress. For example, if you go to manage world, click on a household and choose to edit them, you can add children and spouses in CAS. And other family ties. I enjoy doing that.

I dont need any more story progression outside of that :) Its a quick, simple, mod free way for me to keep the town populated @stilljustme2
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    You know, even without Mcc families can progress. For example, if you go to manage world, click on a household and choose to edit them, you can add children and spouses in CAS. And other family ties. I enjoy doing that.

I dont need any more story progression outside of that :) Its a quick, simple, mod free way for me to keep the town populated @stilljustme2

If you have a lot of families, that can take up an entire game session. I like the randomness of MCCC; since it only affects unplayed households, I can watch the fun without having to worry about one of my households I play being affected.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    I can't do it. I have goals in mind for the families I make and get attached to them and I don't want to leave them to develop on their own when I play another family. I'd rather just abandon a save temporarily or forever than lose sight or control of what's happening to my sims. I start new saves constantly.
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • Options
    I can't do it. I have goals in mind for the families I make and get attached to them and I don't want to leave them to develop on their own when I play another family. I'd rather just abandon a save temporarily or forever than lose sight or control of what's happening to my sims. I start new saves constantly.

I will probably have a new save , for every main family. With one in each. Seems like a good idea. And have maybe 2-3 <3@dopaminedroid
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited March 2018
    I have never enjoyed rotational play, and for me one of the biggest steps forward for The Sims series was the elimination of what I call 'dimensional time' that was in The Sims 2. For those who do not know, in that game any lot that was not currently being played, which was every lot that your sim(s) was not currently on, was frozen in time. That did some crazy things. For example, if your sim left at 6:55 pm to go to a night of partying, and he left the club at 7:55 am the next morning to return home it was 6:55 pm the previous evening on the home lot. You could then, if you so wanted, immediately return to the very club you left and live out your evening out all over again.

That craziness meant that in order to advance time in your neighborhood you had to play the other households. Otherwise they would remain in a sort of dimensional stasis until you did so. That got nuttier with Seasons added, as it would be Winter in the Jones household, but still the start of summer for their neighbors, the Smiths. The Sims 3 didn't do many things right in my eyes, but allowing time to flow freely on all lots was a good thing, and I was pleased to see its inclusion in The Sims 4.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    It doesn't come easy to me to play rotationally. This is the first sims game I've been able too do it in to some extent. I usually have one big idea per save and one main family per save. Anything else usually revolves around or supports that.
    The only exceptions I have that have continued to work on is my save where I put Sims 1-2 pre-made families. Although I don't play that regularly because I'm always coming up with ideas for new saves.. or going back to one of my others. So if I play the Newbie family for a few days. I might go play an alien abduction and world domination story in completely different save the next.. Then eventually go back to my Sims 1-2 save game and make/play another family. There doesn't seem to be any cohesion there yet in their world although I have plans to one day bring them all together in story lines they share but not sure when or if it really will happen. Either way I'm having fun with it now and that's what counts. I don't want to make this game drudgery.
    I also have some that I sort of consider rotational... but still really only focus on one main family as stated above. Like I have a Hannibal play through where I might make and create the other characters from the TV show. So I'll make Will Graham and put him in a replica house and play him for a day or three then, then go back and play Hannibal, then I'll make another family and set them up play them for a few sim days.. then go back and play Hannibal for longer. Usually I play the other characters to extend their interests in what I think they would be engaged in, and where they would live in a sim world though. I do have a lot of fun though setting them up so that I can go back to the main family. Through all this though if I feel like playing another save I just jump to it. It might be weeks or even months before I go back to that save.
    Maybe this is rotational play but I don't really know if it is... mostly because I do have to suddenly spit out another world or concept or plain old diversion, it's like I'm at my minds mercy there. Sometimes new content comes that revs up ideas and I just drop everything to play that out for a few days or weeks.
    I always love it though when I make a family that I know I'll revisit and replay. I don't really have any illusions that I'll ever make real generational play either. I just don't like to stick with the process of bringing up baby, especially again and again.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I'm a loud fan of rotational play now which is true. I wasn't always like that though. This is the first version where I play one save rotationally and I've really embraced it. I don't judge others for playing differently at all though and I think it is great that there are so many ways to do so.

I guess it's just a question of how you want to focus your attention. I guess I get motivated by drawing up storylines as I watch different characters interact with each other. The game becomes a plot-generating exercise for me or a lesson in observing interactions between different personalities. I'm often thinking, "Why is this character doing this? What is his/her motivation? How will the others react based upon what I know of them? What is realistic and what entertains me?" I do think a lot about character development and so I do concentrate on individual characters but I think of them in terms of how they fit into the little society that I've created.

That playstyle totally works for me and will keep me entertained whenever I want to play TS4. I end up getting excited by wondering where things are going. I experience a lot of different environments and scenarios. I find it interesting to push myself to connect with each of the households that I play. The style also keeps me from abandoning saves which is what I used to do frequently. I used to go onto the next save without going back but through the rotation, I do return to households as I watch how they change and how they influence my other households as well as the townies.

I'm glad that you have a playstyle that you enjoy. I've really enjoyed playing that way sometimes. I spent basically all of TS2 very absorbed with one main family. They didn't look like me or have much in common with me except that they were productive members of society who were interested in learning a lot. They were very aspirational sims who made a lot of money and moved into a massive custom-built mansion. I had a lot of fun with them though I remember it taking them a hilariously long time to walk around their mansion or to leave for work or school.

I agree with those who say that it is great that there are various directions that you can go in depending upon how you want to do so.

This.

I love exploring different stories, and vastly different life-styles and sims.

I'm still attached to all of them though. I play out their families, only I play out 20 families instead of just one.

Having to concentrate on just one family forever, strikes a fear deep in my heart. I like seeing how the different families end up clashing and crossing over in the end.

• Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I like to play rotational to certain degree, as long as there not too many households at once. I also usually play with one main household and create friends (and sometimes family members) afterwards, which I either move into a house or not, depending if I want to play them.

In an old save, I had maaany different households. I deleted that save because I wanted to start over, which however didn't last long, so I rebuilt this old save, aging townies up in cas to the ages they were in the old save, and it was then that I realized that I just had too many own households I all had plans for. For my new save, I'm going to reduce it to like 5 played households or something (only have 2 by now and a 3rd is planned).
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I'm not much of a rotational player either, OP. At least, I'm not until the family gets so large that it doesn't make sense to keep them all on the same lot.

I might have stopped using TS4 altogether if it weren't for the MC Command Center. The mod takes a little time to set up. However, once it's done, births, marriages, affairs, etc. all take care of themselves. I really disliked having to go around seeding babies into the neighborhood or marrying people off. I love having some type of story progression that takes care of that part so that I can concentrate on my main family.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    JurassicKingJurassicKing Posts: 63 Member
    I'm still relatively new to the franchise and still not entirely sure if I even enjoy playing it...how did you start out playing?
    maxresdefault.jpg

I have a son lightspeeeeeed!
  • Options

Years and years ago :) I was like...10 . Good luck <3@JurassicKing

Not every game is for every one. I dont enjoy most other games and this one might or might not be for you :)
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I used to play with one family only but switched to rotational play and have never looked back! I play a week with each household then move on.

It keeps things fresh as each of the premade households have something different to offer and I also network them with the clubs facility.
  • Options
    Cynna wrote: »
    I'm not much of a rotational player either, OP. At least, I'm not until the family gets so large that it doesn't make sense to keep them all on the same lot.

I might have stopped using TS4 altogether if it weren't for the MC Command Center. The mod takes a little time to set up. However, once it's done, births, marriages, affairs, etc. all take care of themselves. I really disliked having to go around seeding babies into the neighborhood or marrying people off. I love having some type of story progression that takes care of that part so that I can concentrate on my main family.

My families wont grow very large , Im not a large family player :) I get it though. I dont use Mcc because I can edit the families on my own and like it better that way, but I know its time consuming and not everyones choice. Whatever we do the end goal is fun ! @Cynna
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I'm the complete opposite funnily enough. I love rotational play as it makes me feel more invested in my world. The sims in the various households I play are each others coworkers, friends, enemies, friends of other sims enemies, are all part of their own clubs, careers, have their own activities, hobbies and skills that they each enjoy, they all have a history with one another in some way shape or form, and when I see these sims out in the world I know their story so I have good insight on how I can further pursue their story even when I'm not playing them. To all their own but I don't think I can play a single household for very long until introducing a new household.
  • Options
    monochromaticmonochromatic Posts: 25 Member
    I don't play rotationally much, because I can't really care about that many Sims enough that I want to play with them. :P I care about them as side characters, I suppose I would call them. But without my favorite Sims in the main 'cast', I get bored.

If I get bored with a save file, I'll start a new one, use the same main Sims, but change things up - appearances, traits, houses, stuff like that... And I think of a dynamic or story to base them off of. Like, is one of them some sort of dark lord? Kidnapper? Princess? Or are they just eccentric roommates? Lol. Almost like the Sims are actors that I place into different plays? xD
  • Options
    DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    I didn't like it, but then I started a save in an empty world - blank slate, and I started with my founder sim and married her off to a randomly generated one. They are currently raising their first toddler (with some drama thrown in). I kept Caleb Vatore around because I love him. So my sim, Genesis, married a randomly generated townie, but the baby is Caleb's. I plan on moving Genesis' children into other houses around the neighborhoods and playing through until I have worlds full of this one massive family. It's been holding my attention for now, but I definitely see how that sort of play isn't for everyone.
    Origin - DaemonPaws
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited March 2018
    I've been playing Sims from the beginning and have always played with one Sim/Family per save. I don't have anything against the rotational style of playing, I've just never tried it. It does sound very interesting though. Perhaps one day when I get a new decent computer I'll finally try it.

For now though, as always, I'm having fun playing one at a time. :)

Oh, wait, I just remembered, I have actually put another family in a save, but I haven't played them other than to move them into their new house. They were the helper couple and their daughter in Gen 1 of my Random Legacy. The rules said they had to go, but I couldn't bear just releasing them into the wilds of Townie land. I'd become very fond of those three and they were obviously very close to my Gen 1 founder and her daughter, Gen 2.

The girls were best friends by then, having grown to young adults together. But, I don't think that really counts as playing rotationally since I haven't played that save again, yet.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited March 2018
    Depends on how long my attention is kept for some of the families. Focus on one for awhile might have them focus on getting that job and trying to move to a better place like an actual home than apartment and balance their life with going out to see if they come across someone that could be a good match for them. Build up relationships be it friendly, mean, or romantic. Then I might pop over onto another family. Might do it in one session or my next just to change things up.
    5vJrxmT.png