Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims will be at EA play this June

Comments

• Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited February 2018
    Don't get why some people are in such a hurry to get sims 5.

I think it has to do with Sims 4 being the least popular title of the Sims franchise.

And "what would stop them" is that they didn't do that to Sims 2 or Sims 3. It isn't a habit, it'd be a first time thing that affected the least popular title in the history of the franchise. Quite honestly, I think it's already gonna be difficult for them to deliver those things, and more time won't neccesarily change that.

I honestly think that if Sims 4 ending is what you need as confirmation that you lose all trust in the team, then that indeed suggests you're not currently satisfied with the complete product. You make it sound like the promise/potential for more is what keeps you invested in Sims 4. As such, I think the only difference between yourself and those wishing for Sims 5 is that those wishing for Sims 5 have accepted they're probably not gonna be satisfied with Sims 4, whereas you on the other hand hold out hope it can still happen and want to see it happen while others are willing to cut losses and move on.

[Citation Needed] Please provide factual evidence that Sims 4 is the least popular, otherwise you're just projecting your own opinion. I can show you several that states the game is doing incredibly well, and I have shown you before.

Also:

I do enjoy the sims 4. I enjoyed sims 3, albeit my least favorite of the iterations. I enjoyed sims 2 as well. In all 3 of those games, I looked forward to expansion packs and wanted more. When sims 4 was announced I was mad that they weren't making any expansion packs for sims 3 anymore. You always want more, that is human nature.

I'm completely satisfied with sims 4, I wouldn't have purchased every single pack so far if I wasn't. There is always more to want, like seasons and supernatural. Expecting the major packs that we have had for EVERY single iteration doesn't suggest that I'm not "satisfied" with sims 4.

By the way, sims 5 would have the same developers as sims 4, don't know why anyone expects anything radically different.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    This makes me kinda worried tbh. Usually EA only talks about really big stuff on EA Play and The Sims team doesn't get invited to those events anymore so I really hope that it's not TS5...
    I mean The Sims 4 just started to get good. 2017 was a great year for the game(I red somewhere that the game gained a lot of new players actually) and the new packs were great. The console version just came out, toddlers etc. And the beginning of 2018 also seems promising for TS4..

Having really mixed feeling about this :smirk:
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

If they jumped ship on sims 4 before giving us the essentials like seasons, university, supernatural, etc, what would stop them from doing it for sims 5?

They would lose all my trust and I would be done with the sims series.

I'm not really, I just don't know what to think in them NOT taking The Sims into any of EA events and then suddenly announcing it. One would think that the announcement should be bigger than just an expansion. Maybe a spin off, maybe a new game. However if they suddenly decided to start announcing packs for The Sims publicly in EA events, I won't complain. Might mean better communication :)

I know you weren't Mirta :)

But there are some people that want sims 4 to just end and work on sims 5. I can understand being upset and not liking sims 4, but to abruptly end work on it and move on, how can we be sure sims 5 wouldn't be just as bad?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    How did it work the last time? When The Sims 4 was announced did they still release The Sims 3 content in the meantime before it was released or did everything shut down?
    They announced Sims 4 in May 2013; IP, Movie Stuff and ITF were released after that. And some major Store sets too.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member

I think it has to do with Sims 4 being the least popular title of the Sims franchise.

And "what would stop them" is that they didn't do that to Sims 2 or Sims 3. It isn't a habit, it'd be a first time thing that affected the least popular title in the history of the franchise. Quite honestly, I think it's already gonna be difficult for them to deliver those things, and more time won't neccesarily change that.

I honestly think that if Sims 4 ending is what you need as confirmation that you lose all trust in the team, then that indeed suggests you're not currently satisfied with the complete product. You make it sound like the promise/potential for more is what keeps you invested in Sims 4. As such, I think the only difference between yourself and those wishing for Sims 5 is that those wishing for Sims 5 have accepted they're probably not gonna be satisfied with Sims 4, whereas you on the other hand hold out hope it can still happen and want to see it happen while others are willing to cut losses and move on.

Some of us aren't comparing TS4 to other games in this series that we have thoroughly enjoyed. My enjoyment of TS4 doesn't take away from my enjoyment of all the other games in the series when I played them. For some of us, it is that we enjoy The Sims games relative to other gaming options out there. Some of us don't want to go play an MMO or blockbuster titles out there. Just because other people are playing a game or gaming style, it doesn't mean that I want to.

There are a few other games that I have similarly enjoyed and played sometimes for different reasons, but I like the creative outlet that this series (including TS4 now) offers me. I definitely think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I see the benefit of constructive criticism to improve the game but ultimately, various players want different things from the game and from their gaming experiences. I will say that I am sympathetic to people who want to tear down and edit more of the terrain and worlds, I'd honestly like the option for that too and I see their point.

Yes, I do look forward to interesting new content for the game as I have with every other version of this series. Yes, that is a style of gameplay that I tolerate from this legacy game because it does offer me a gaming style that I generally enjoy (an imaginative sandbox - yes, with some flaws but still enjoyable). Yes, of course, I'd like to see improvements but not everyone needs the same things from the game or values them in the same way. I play with a fast computer so I pay no attention to loading screens or an open world. I remember that TS3 open world breaking on the computer that I had at the time, so no, I don't think about having it back.

You can criticize players like me all you want because doing so ultimately does not matter. I've enjoyed some other games over the years, some of which aren't made anymore. I have other games that I've played a bit recently but I really like the style of imaginative play that I can have in The Sims series. That said, no, I'm not going to jump right away if at all for some new version of the game. I'm usually someone who shows up later in the development cycle or who has sometimes quit for various lengths of time. I could see myself quitting indefinitely especially if I'm not happy with how TS4 ends as a product.

In a way, The Sims games have always been both a journey and then a destination for a lot of players. Incidentally, I have no issue with Sims Mobile and I'm fine with them promoting it. I'm not interested in it at this stage if ever, but it's a really obvious area for them to expand in. I think at least one person I know is new to The Sims and is interested in the mobile version due to their lifestyle.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Hopefully they announce an EP. I don't want The Sims 5 yet, since a lot of things are still missing in The Sims 4 (seasons, tropical beach world, hotels, cars, university, celebrities, pool tables, bunk beds, urinals, robots, more supernaturals, etc) and we still only have 4 expansion packs, compared to 7 in TS1, 8 in TS2 and 11 in TS3. The Sims 4 should have at least 7 EPs in my opinion (Seasons, University, maybe Into the Future), if not more, considering there are also game packs unlike previous games.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Unless Seasons or whatever the next EP turns out to be is a real game changer I can't see them announcing it at EA Plays when they haven't done so with any EP in the past. Nor do I think they'd ever announce that it was ending in such a way. Sims Mobile is supposed to be dropping in March and has already been announced and I don't think that it coming to the Switch would be enough to warrant bringing it to EA Plays.

Two things spring to mind to be big enough to promote at such a major event. An (Optional/Add On Only) Online Version or some sort of (Optional/Add On Only) VR function for the game? Those are the two hot things in gaming right now so...yeah probably highly doubtful on both counts but...maybe?

If you'd asked me a month ago I would have said that Sims 5 was a long way off but lately I've been thinking more about how 2020 is the 2020th anniversary the more I think that it makes a lot of sense that if there is going to be a Sims 5 that would be a great place for it to premier and people have already begun to ask what they have planned for the big anniversary so... That still gives them two years to continue to add and expand on Sims 4 and yeah that might mean we won't get all of the content that the previous games had but then as someone else pointed out they never made any promises that it would have.

More likely they just want to bring along a more casual gamer friendly game and nothing new will be announced at all lol
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2018
    They're gonna reveal the next three expansions, like they did with TS3. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it. B)
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    How did it work the last time? When The Sims 4 was announced did they still release The Sims 3 content in the meantime before it was released or did everything shut down?

I think The Sims 4 was announced in 2013 and this was when the last EP Into The Future was released. Roaring Heights, the last store content, got released in December 2013.
    So The Sims 3 basically ended.

But maybe this time they announce The Sims 5 and have a transparent development process? Like saying 'Hey, this is how far we've developed the game, how can we make it better?'

Might just be wishful thinking and they "only" announce Seasons. (Which I'd be happy for) Or it's just nothing and people are overreacting
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited February 2018

By the way, sims 5 would have the same developers as sims 4, don't know why anyone expects anything radically different.
    Yes, but they would build it from the ground up to be an offline game. The Sims 4 has it's limitations because it was originally intended to be a multiplayer game (similar to Sims Mobile) under the development name "Sims Olympus".
    They could begin to develop powerful Color Wheel Tools and a more open world from the beginning and implement it into base game.

Also it would be probably build for 64 bit only. Just see how awesome Jungle Adventure and the pet customization in Cats & Dogs is. This awesomeness was only possible because they abandoned 32 bit!
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    Most likely an announcement of a new EP.

cancellation of the series and announced S5? what kind of devs will make an announcement like this at E3? Not unless they are suffering from a loss every year but are they? My logic is why even bother making S5 when they had failed to deliver more attractive games to us, hence utterly demolished the hopes of their loyal fans by ceasing production of S4 titles leaving fans with more hatred than ever, after all, who would still want to be that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 to support S5? That's don't makes any sense to me.

The Sims Game
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

There's really nothing to support this. The fact they want it go past the normal 4 year cycle suggests the opposite.

Remember, they cancelled various Sims 3 console releases due to a lack of demand (they cancelled the Pets release for Wii, cancelled the DLC for the The Sims 3 Pets before it was even released on PS3 and Xbox, despite having a DLC area. They also cancelled DLC for The Sims 3 console not long after launch). They also cancelled The Sims 3 for Wii U (that said, the Wii U was a messy console release).

Yet, the demand for The Sims 4 is so high, they're porting everything over. They also modeled The Sims Mobile after The Sims 4, which says to me the The Sims 4 brand is strong.

Just saying, there's nothing to say The Sims 4 is the least popular. Least popular would not have warranted such a confident roll out on console. They literally knew they were porting everything over before even testing the waters.

That's confidence on a huge scale. With The Sims 3, they literally cancelled DLC a few weeks after launch.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

I think The Sims 4 was announced in 2013 and this was when the last EP Into The Future was released. Roaring Heights, the last store content, got released in December 2013.
    So The Sims 3 basically ended.

But maybe this time they announce The Sims 5 and have a transparent development process? Like saying 'Hey, this is how far we've developed the game, how can we make it better?'

Might just be wishful thinking and they "only" announce Seasons. (Which I'd be happy for) Or it's just nothing and people are overreacting
    Sims 4 was announced May 2013, two EP’s came after that (IP and ITF; old school expansions with loads of gameplay), an SP (Movie Stuff; an old school SP with a lot of nonsense in it but still, an SP) and they released some big Store sets they’d announce with riddles, bells and whistles on Twitter till the very end of the game (deep in 2014).

Being transparent ended about right there, during that period. I’ll most certainly support your wish that will change when they’ll announce Sims 5.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »

There's really nothing to support this. The fact they want it go past the normal 4 year cycle suggests the opposite.

Remember, they cancelled various Sims 3 console releases due to a lack of demand (they cancelled the Pets release for Wii, cancelled the DLC for the The Sims 3 Pets before it was even released on PS3 and Xbox, despite having a DLC area. They also cancelled DLC for The Sims 3 console not long after launch). They also cancelled The Sims 3 for Wii U (that said, the Wii U was a messy console release).

Yet, the demand for The Sims 4 is so high, they're porting everything over. They also modeled The Sims Mobile after The Sims 4, which says to me the The Sims 4 brand is strong.

Just saying, there's nothing to say The Sims 4 is the least popular. Least popular would not have warranted such a confident roll out on console. They literally knew they were porting everything over before even testing the waters.

That's confidence on a huge scale. With The Sims 3, they literally cancelled DLC a few weeks after launch.
    Sims 3 console stuff can’t be compared to Sims 3 the PC game, don’t think you can mess those two things up in an attempt to make some vague point. Other than that I don’t think Sims 4 is the least popular. Some folks love it, some folks don’t. Same with Sims 3. Those two versions simply are the most controversial, don’t think anyone can deny that. Does it matter? No, not really.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »

Sims 3 console stuff can’t be compared to Sims 3 the PC game, don’t think you can mess those two things up in an attempt to make some vague point. Other than that I don’t think Sims 4 is the least popular. Some folks love it, some folks don’t. Same with Sims 3. Those two versions simply are the most controversial, don’t think anyone can deny that. Does it matter? No, not really.

Why can’t it be compared? Both The Sims 3 and The Sims 3 Pets were created for console with DLC in mind. Ambitions was literally scrapped for console and we got scraps of what they’d finished bundled with Pets, and they canceled the planned DLC that they announced before launch.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 both had harddrives, up to 500GB. There’s no reason why they couldn’t have put out the DLC.

It’s not a popularity contest, but EA green light every piece of DLC to Xbox and PS4 (which is super expensive to port from PC) indicates the game is extremely popular.
  • Options
    Saarah06Saarah06 Posts: 20 Member
    could be a switch announcement, an expansion pack announcement or a mobile game announcement
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited February 2018

Why can’t it be compared? Both The Sims 3 and The Sims 3 Pets were created for console with DLC in mind. Ambitions was literally scrapped for console and we got scraps of what they’d finished bundled with Pets, and they canceled the planned DLC that they announced before launch.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 both had harddrives, up to 500GB. There’s no reason why they couldn’t have put out the DLC.

It’s not a popularity contest, but EA green light every piece of DLC to Xbox and PS4 (which is super expensive to port from PC) indicates the game is extremely popular.

both xbox one and playstation 4 is essentially a PC. Porting is very very easy as long as your game is low spec enough for the consoles to handle it. Compared to Playstation 1 and 2 that had entirely their own hardware and Playstation 3 that was still a bit of a mix between adapted PC and custom made.

Their only obstacle had to be the controls and as those are already done with base game, DLC porting should be a given.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »

Because it tells us nothing about the popularity of the game in general, only if it’s popular for console. For all we know they are throwing themselves into console with Sims 4 because the PC version in fact is less popular than they were hoping. We know for fact it wasn’t in the beginning (according to Grant Rodiek). They didn’t exactly hold back where it came to adding DLC to TS3 for PC’s so they must have had confidence in that respect. The initial price of Sims 4’s basegame also suggests they were used to people buying regardless back then.

And no, it’s not a popularity contest. Like I said, I think we can conclude both 3 and 4 are controversial and part of that will come down to personal preference, but part of it is caused by plain flaws (looking at both games here). The only thing I’m interested in is that they take care of those flaws in ways that will satisfy all players.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Either the game is going to be launched in another platform or is getting an online function ( :( )
    I don't think that's the place for an EP and I don't think TS5 would be announced like that. I'm not even sure there would be a TS5 as we know it. The trend I see for the future of the game is all mobile focused and/or online so... :/ I hope I'm wrong.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    GiorgiGiorgi Posts: 44 Member
    Maybe they will release spin-off game like the sims medieval
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

Are we seriously all just gonna pretend Sims 4 doesn't poll terribly versus the other games? A thread I made is still active and shows how poorly the game is received on average. There have been a number of polls asking people to name their favorite or rate each game and Sims 4 consistently underperforms. Heck, the general atmosphere of these forums makes that obvious, since for example a rather active thread lately is "if you could change three things to improve Sims 4," people are constantly asking about Sims 5 and there's a great number of criticisms that arise with every pack. If you think this forum is the most negative, I'm gonna say you seriously lack perspective on the Sims community because whether you grab simscommunity, SimsVIP, the Sims subreddit, carl's sim guide or any other random Sims communities, you will very quickly see this forum is easymode in terms of how harsh the criticisms are. If you feel my thread is a terrible measurement of the game's rating, by all means please go to Metacritic, any games journalism website or any other review database and compare the Sims games to each other. I promise you it doesn't get better than what you see here. Quite the opposite.

Sales or cycle length =/= success. There are a great number of factors that can go into cycle length and plenty of great products sell poorly. Last we heard, this game was still behind all three of the other games in terms of total sales, so that's not even an argument for it. We also have zero confirmation the Sims 4 will last significantly longer. It's also interesting to note that if we tried to gauge quality by sales, Sims 1 is the best, Sims 3 is second, Sims 2 is third and this remains last. Sims 2 is often regarded as the best one while Sims 1 is admittedly dated and offers practically nothing over Sims 2, so clearly sales don't reflect quality.

It is perfectly fine if you love Sims 4. However, when we sit here in blatant denial of the facts surrounding how well rated this game is, then quite frankly it sends the impression we're too personally invested in this game. You can like the game, you also shouldn't feel shame in liking something that overall has mixed reception; like it because you like it. When we're blatantly denying facts and rewriting history though simply because the facts are uncomfortable to look at? Yeah, now it's time to take a step back and ask yourself why that truth of it's mixed reception seems so bothersome to you.

I think it's a mistake to deny such things and pretend like everything is fine. Doing exactly that is how you allow the quality of the game to drop, because it welcomes a culture where no one speaks out when features start disappearing.

"Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member

Are we seriously all just gonna pretend Sims 4 doesn't poll terribly versus the other games? A thread I made is still active and shows how poorly the game is received on average. There have been a number of polls asking people to name their favorite or rate each game and Sims 4 consistently underperforms. Heck, the general atmosphere of these forums makes that obvious, since for example a rather active thread lately is "if you could change three things to improve Sims 4," people are constantly asking about Sims 5 and there's a great number of criticisms that arise with every pack. If you think this forum is the most negative, I'm gonna say you seriously lack perspective on the Sims community because whether you grab simscommunity, SimsVIP, the Sims subreddit, carl's sim guide or any other random Sims communities, you will very quickly see this forum is easymode in terms of how harsh the criticisms are. If you feel my thread is a terrible measurement of the game's rating, by all means please go to Metacritic, any games journalism website or any other review database and compare the Sims games to each other. I promise you it doesn't get better than what you see here. Quite the opposite.

Sales or cycle length =/= success. There are a great number of factors that can go into cycle length and plenty of great products sell poorly. Last we heard, this game was still behind all three of the other games in terms of total sales, so that's not even an argument for it. We also have zero confirmation the Sims 4 will last significantly longer. It's also interesting to note that if we tried to gauge quality by sales, Sims 1 is the best, Sims 3 is second, Sims 2 is third and this remains last. Sims 2 is often regarded as the best one while Sims 1 is admittedly dated and offers practically nothing over Sims 2, so clearly sales don't reflect quality.

It is perfectly fine if you love Sims 4. However, when we sit here in blatant denial of the facts surrounding how well rated this game is, then quite frankly it sends the impression we're too personally invested in this game. You can like the game, you also shouldn't feel shame in liking something that overall has mixed reception; like it because you like it. When we're blatantly denying facts and rewriting history though simply because the facts are uncomfortable to look at? Yeah, now it's time to take a step back and ask yourself why that truth of it's mixed reception seems so bothersome to you.

I think it's a mistake to deny such things and pretend like everything is fine. Doing exactly that is how you allow the quality of the game to drop, because it welcomes a culture where no one speaks out when features start disappearing.

Actually, would have been more practical to create a poll on another site (that don't require an account to vote/fill it in) and share it with other sims fanbase sites. I'm not denying your claim, but just saying you wouldn't get much of a good valid end result from such a limited scope of space.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    If it's Sims Mobile I'm not going to be excited, If they put more online stuff on the Sims 4 I might not mind but I think people might dislike it.
  • Options

Make a poll on a Facebook Sims group that’s for all games and come back to me. I already know The Sims 4 wins by a landslide.
  • Options
    TimelordSnowyTimelordSnowy Posts: 41 Member

As I have learned from another game, the ones that have the most complaints/hate the game are the most vocal crowd but are often in the minority. The fact that there are probably a lot of people that don’t come to this forum(or even know it exists. I only learned recently and I’ve apparently had an account since 2012(which I do not remember making)) so there could be quite a lot of people that love this game more then those that don’t that aren’t responding to your poll simply because they don’t know this place exists.

I have nothing more to say on the matter considering I don’t know what EA play is and I barely know what E3 is but the fact that you assume forumns like this one shows the opinion of *all* sim players really made me upset. I didn’t even know several of those sites existed till you meantioned them(I figured there must be a Reddit but I don’t go on reddit ever) so I’m sure I’m not the only one. So yeah that’s all I wanted to say. Have a nice rest of the day.
    Please Ping if responding to something I say. I wont see otherwise thank you :)