Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What size home do you prefer?

Comments

• Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Small
    small, the smaller the better for me. I like to see what essentials I can get into as small a space as possible. I don't use half or more of the stuff in buy mode. my sims live in a one bedroom, two or three once they have children. open floor kitchen dinning room. with a small section for a TV space. rarely do they have a living room. once I had the Tv above the kitchen counters. and they sat on bar stools to watch it. I love using the kitchen counters with bar stools. I build the house as small as possible, with garden space. but gym equipment ect they go out to use.
  • Options
    GlitterbuGlitterbu Posts: 58 Member
    Medium
    small, the smaller the better for me. I like to see what essentials I can get into as small a space as possible. I don't use half or more of the stuff in buy mode. my sims live in a one bedroom, two or three once they have children. open floor kitchen dinning room. with a small section for a TV space. rarely do they have a living room. once I had the Tv above the kitchen counters. and they sat on bar stools to watch it. I love using the kitchen counters with bar stools. I build the house as small as possible, with garden space. but gym equipment ect they go out to use.

Seems quite similar to what I do when I'm playing a household (which I rarely do) I like to have an open are with kitchen, dining room and an area for seats, and then a few bedrooms and a bathroom
    s7fTQtj.jpg
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2018
    Medium

That's a good point. Small houses would encourage greater use of community resources like gyms and art centers. I hardly use those lots now because it's easier to control everyone in the household when I keep them all on the home lot. Perhaps, if I make a single-Sim family, I'll give them a really tiny lot and let them go to community lots in order to fill other needs.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I don't have a preference as I play all sizes.
    Playing one size makes me appreciate the others and switching up makes for a nice change.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Small
    Hi! I voted small because I don't like the larger ones, I tend to lose my sims, lol. I do build a small house on a good sized lot just because my sims, most are anyways, gardeners and I keep getting the harvestables from MTS so I need a lot of space, not so much the house. Most of my houses are 2 bed 2 bath with den, laundry room with kitchen, dining and living rooms combined. If I need to expand I usually make basements as second floors still bounce and I really hate it when that happens. :s

Medium homes are okay, but most are above my sims' budgets. Most of my sims are comfortable but not rich by any means. If they don't have the money to move to a bigger house, they renovate. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Medium
    The range between 20 by 30 and 30 by 40 is my favorite. I run out of those most easily. I do use the other sizes for other things. I tend to turn really small empty lots into community lots like parks and little cafes. A few of my households do live in big mansions, but I'd say that the medium lots are my favorites.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    Large
    I usually prefer medium but chose large because my current family is on a 40x30 lot because I have a large garden, pool, and outdoor entertaining space. The actual house is probably closer to 30x20.
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    Because I play with all the premade families(and the ones from maxiscreator_01) on my favourite save, so I use small, medium and large lots.
    It's more about the family. Some families have HUGE egos so they need a huge lot :lol:
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Large
    I like big houses to house eight sims, though I'm currently playing as Johnny Zest and am seeing the benefits of a single sim.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Small
    I tend to have my Sims live in starter homes, then just upgrade the equipment and decorations over time, rather than expand the building. If I build on a larger lot, it's usually for a community venue.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    Medium
    Huge houses are a bit much for me. I like small houses too, but I think medium is my standard. The Goldilocks zone, if you will. :D
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • Options
    CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    Medium
    As a builder, I love all home sizes. I'm extremely picky with my main Legacy family though. The Matriarch started off in small cottage, then as time progressed we got a mansion. I've changed homes a few times now, trying to find the right vibe. Houses that are too big are a pain when you have Children. I'm trying to find inspiration for a Medium sized home, I can finally settle in. It's a pain in the plum constantly moving gardens, and Personal family photos on walls when you can't decide where to live.
    8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited February 2018
    Small
    I prefer small houses because I don't like wasted space. This is probably a holdover from Sims 2 where the amount of stuff you had in a building affected loading time. I still don't use a lot of deco or clutter items.

My Sims start out with very little money so all they can afford are small starter homes on 30x20 lots. The house grows as their financial situations improve. My largest house has two bedrooms and two bathrooms with enough yard space outside for a garden that has spliced plants and trees that have the ingredients needed for cooking, herbalism and scientist serums. There also has to be space for skilling objects like an easel, chess set or gaming mat depending on the Sim's aspiration, traits or career.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Medium
    I usually just put my sims in a starter home and expand it when they have kids. I don't like them too small though or there's no room for the kids later on.
    My current sim married Candy and moved in with her. Yuki moved out upon aging up, but had a separate house in the front yard. Yuki's old room was used as a nursery. When she moved out, I got rid of the add-on for some extra cash.
    I had Yuki move into the city with a roommate who I found to be the same age as her. I gutted the house (which was not tiny, but not a penthouse either) and rebuilt inside the shell. It fit 2 sims and their hobbies nicely, with the roommate's gym being on the balcony.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Medium
    I like medium houses, once my sim is established in life. Starting out, I like small homes. I rarely, if ever, play large homes. And I prefer functionality over style. I want things to have a purpose, not just "look" like it's an object.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Medium
    30x20 is big enough without being too large and causing mass lag in game.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited February 2018
    Medium
    40 x 30 is my bread-and-butter lot size, though the house itself fits on a 30 x 20 (that's actually how I build, start with a lot one size smaller and plop it down in the new lot) and the rest of the space is for gardens / landscaping.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    2tcn2tcn Posts: 58 Member
    Small
    I like to simulate the minimalist lifestyle by creating homes as tiny as possible while still maintaining efficiency. It's great fun but it sure does get tough with toddlers in the household!
  • Options
    SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    edited February 2018
    Medium
    I put medium, but I can do well with a small to medium house.

I like at least a 2 bedroom home, even as a starter, because the second bedroom comes in handy for rewards from work, putting collections, and other extra things, such as a place to stick more expensive objects as the sim gains wealth [if they stay single]. They can also be good for an office or things of that sort.
    I, like many others love ample space on the lot for gardening and entertaining if possible, but mostly a garden, I'm a garden fan.

and I said medium because I like things as much as a three bedroom as a family grows. I kinda can do a four bedroom but find that most the time I never finish decorating homes any that large or larger than that. I do like smaller 3 bedroom homes maybe with a garage built in or basement however, to again, slide rewards and bulky things of that sort at.

My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Small
    If I want more room for gardening, or just want to move to a different neighbourhood, I upload their house to the gallery, and download it on to the new lot. I get comfortable with their house. I like to expand only if I really need to, but still play on the first two smaller lots.
  • Options
    CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    Medium
    lilsimsie spent the time redoing the whole thing in sims 4. LOL she put what she thought was a lot of work into it, but by that time I had already taken EVERYTHING out of the different neighbourhoods and redone every house. I even put houses in Magnolia Promenade because it was so small and easy. I confess to downloading families from the gallery though because creating that many sims was just to daunting. I enjoyed it though and would gladly do it again if I came up with a better idea. Oh, my latest was the one solid colour challenge and I did not cheat like a certain simmer. It is by Golden Simmer and I did ALL the houses. What a hoot! SInce cats and dogs I have had to edit in a vet clinic but thats life in sims! What all this lead to was this, I love doing the med to small houses and then doing the outside. I don't always put in pools because like putting toddlers in high chairs they seem to always want to be in them!
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    Small
    I like the challenge of making everything fit. Plus, it’s way easier to keep track of all my Sims (also why I prefer to avoid multi story builds).
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Large
    A big lot makes for lots of building room and garden opportunities. On top of that I like to use every floor.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    GwaeriGwaeri Posts: 350 Member
    Medium
    I've always found myself gravitating towards 20x30 lots (or 30x30 in previous games), but that's because I decorate my houses very intensely to make them look and feel homey, so it's easier with a smaller lot. I used to just play one Sim so a larger house wasn't needed. 30x40 lots were also good, especially if I had gardening plans as I love plants!

In my current save, I'm on a larger lot (I think it is 30x40 but I can't quite remember off the top of my head) and the house itself started off very small but I'm gradually expanding it (with very strict rules; it's a storage container house so can only have new storage containers added that are 4x10).

I'd love to have the skill to build and properly furnish massive homes. I built one with the intention of it being for my legacy family but preferred the storage container idea.
  • Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Small
    I chose small. I use 1bed 1bath homes for single Sims and 2/3 bed 1or 2 bath homes for families.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow