Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You ever feel intimidated by all the endless CC?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    When I first discovered CC years ago, I too downloaded like crazy. But when you get use to it you'll start downloading things you need only. However, I do use bookmarks a lot for CC I want but know I don't need but may need later. And sometimes when I discover a new artist I like I may kind of go crazy with the downloading. lolol
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    jbarry3jbarry3 Posts: 16 Member
    If you don't mind me asking? What are some goods sites for CC, what are some of your favorite CC items? Any you recommend as must haves??
  • Options
    PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    I mainly play cc free as I’m really picky about the art style of the game. The Sims 4 has such a specific art style and a lot of the CC out there doesn’t match, or it matches just fine but some of the details are a bit jagged and rough around the edges, some of the official Sims objects (specifically hairstyles from around the beginning of the games release and early content) look a bit rough and out of place for the game, and I don’t tupically use them because of that reason.

Also I don’t wanna be bothered with constantly updating my CC folder as The Sims 4 gets updated quite frequently, don’t want to deal with the hassle of broken or out of date CC.

To be honest I’ll probably start getting CC for my Sims 3 game, that games art style is a lot more versatile for CC (I think it’s because it doesn’t really have one), also the game doesn’t get updated anymore so it’s a win win.

I agree about how some things can look jagged, both with CC and some of the original hairs too. Usually it annoys me in CAS but in game I don't notice too much if it's just smaller issues, bigger ones, I uninstall the CC. If you want CC that resembles more of the original game's style, have you tried looking up Maxis Match content? I only use that kind myself.

But man, I could tell you some stories about Sims 3 lol. I tried going back to it earlier this summer and I spent... A few months searching for CC, just because I couldn't really find any that I liked. In the end, I took it - and Sims 3 - back out of my computer, just because the styles from 4 were too different for me lol.
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I am cc free. But when I have shopped for cc in the past, it felt like a big hassle. To get what in the end amounted to nothing. So I am not using cc anymore.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited February 2018
    @PolluxSims you can get the Tray Importer HERE Basically how I use it is I go into CAS and create a household. Then I dress the Sims in that household in the CC I want to get rid of (making sure they have nothing that I don't want to get rid of on them) then save it to your library. Then I start up the Tray Importer find that household in the list and click on it then click on the CC link at the top and it will show a list of everything being worn by the sims in that house hold and give you a link to the folder that it's in on your computer to make it easy to delete it right away. I'm pretty organized so it's not strictly necessary to do this but it does make things a bit quicker since it takes your right to that items location. It's also really nice because it shows you what mesh you need so if you're missing a mesh you can try to track it down.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    3KNPen wrote: »
    @PolluxSims you can get the Tray Importer HERE Basically how I use it is I go into CAS and create a household. Then I dress the Sims in that household in the CC I want to get rid of (making sure they have nothing that I don't want to get rid of on them) then save it to your library. Then I start up the Tray Importer find that household in the list and click on it then click on the CC link at the top and it will show a list of everything being worn by the sims in that house hold and give you a link to the folder that it's in on your computer to make it easy to delete it right away. I'm pretty organized so it's not strictly necessary to do this but it does make things a bit quicker since it takes your right to that items location. It's also really nice because it shows you what mesh you need so if you're missing a mesh you can try to track it down.

That sounds awesome, thanks so much :D
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
  • Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    i don't use cc, i tried once in sims 3 and it messed my game up. there is cute stuff out there but i rather not mess my game up
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hmmm a lot of the responses have been about CC breaking games, despite my recent "OMG I have to have it!" download binge I haven't really use a lot of CC besides wedding rings...and a really nice set of undies lol...

So I haven't had any issues - BUT if ever I did have an issue, say I downloaded something that no longer works and the creator has left the building - would it be semi-easy to update it yourself?

Is it just a matter of "unpacking" it and loading/updating it in Sims studio?

• Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    As a general rule I haven't had any CC actually break the game in Sims 4 outside of major patches like the Lighting Patch that broke CC Lighting and the Cats & Dogs patch broke pretty much all CC Beds, counters and other surfaces that the animals can climb on. That's because the objects those items were based on had changes to how they were programmed. But as a general rule CC won't break the game even if it's old. Most CC is just window dressing it doesn't really do anything to fundamentally change the game itself.

Mods however are a different story they change how things work in the game itself so old/outdated ones can and will break the game if they're not kept up to date.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    For TS2 I have a ginormous folder chuck full of CC & Mods. I absolutely loved shopping for it, but I ended up spending all my time shopping rather than playing sometimes. o.O In TS4 I play completely free of CC & Mods. Not by choice, by necessity. My toaster of a laptop would probably blow up if I used any, so I don't even go looking for it. Way too tempting!

One day I'll get a new computer and probably go nuts shopping for stuff and I am dying to try this MC Command mod everyone raves about. For now I'm having a blast playing a completely vanilla game, so it's all good. :)
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    So I haven't really updated my Sims 4 CC folder (custom content) for some time, I have a nice little collection saved up and so it fairly easy to know what I have (since I didn't have a lot).

Recently (seeing as I solved my Sims 4 vs Sims 3 decision) I decided to update my "ring" collection - mostly for new wedding rings since I only have like 3 options.

So off I headed in search of shiny things...omg...seriously what a nightmare, first pops up all the pin-it links...which then show me all this OTHER CC I didn't know "I had to have" and each links leads to a website featuring more CC I MUST download...

Sitting here I'm like...do I really want to continue this search (as I got sidetracked lol) as I'm gonna waste so much time downloading CC I'll forget I even had (but suddenly want lol).

Oh then there is the CC you discover that you REALLY could have a use for - but its creator is no longer! Beginning a mad hunt for some long lost download link via google cache lol...

How about you, do you find yourself wasting precious hours downloading stuff you didn't even think you needed? Do you fear missing stuff if you don't stay on top of new CC releases? Does the endless supply of CC ever feel intimidating or overwhelming?

Or do you completely play CC free?

I have a TSR subscription so I regularly download goodies off that site, sometimes I tend to collect everything, other times I do searches for what I am looking for (I found file cabinets and a decorative computer printer there). I also enjoy CC from sites like Around the Sims 4, and Mod the Sims. (The latter two are free and do not use junk like ad.fly that could mess up my computer with viruses/malware and even force me to reinstall the operating system potentially. Ad.fly will NOT even let you go to the download link if you use an ad-blocker. "Just 5 seconds" is plenty of time for a computer to become infected. Sometimes I will get custom content off sites that link directly to Sims File Share or MediaFire without an ad.fly blockade. I do make a point of donating to sites that I get my content from who don't taint their content with badware links, since I understand domain name registration and bandwidth over a certain limit is not free to the site.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member

I'm currently in the process of trying to decide if I want to bother with CC or not. I like the game's art style how it is and I enjoy the challenge of being creative with what the game provides, however.. I get so tempted by maxis match hairstyles and clothes.
    Recently I went on a CC binge and have almost a gig of it in my game, but I'm considering taking it out and just leaving my mods. Because like the post is about, I really do feel overwhelmed by it all because I feel like I have to keep up with it and get the new stuff, although I'm not sure why I feel that way.
    I guess it's because I'm an all-or-nothing person so I'm like, must have all teh cc! Or I just get rid of all of it. I dunno man, because I'm not one of those people that enjoys shopping for it a whole lot, it just kind of bores me and the installing process is a bit of a hassle and requires a lot of repetitive clicking. Hmm... to CC or not CC? That is the question.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Only when an item is no longer working properly in my game and I have to sort through my folder to figure out which one it is. I’m often tempted to just delete the whole folder.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited February 2018
    I tend to go on a binge. Like I'm gonna play the game and I see something by chance on tumblr or else where 'Ooh, I should download that.' And then it starts a chain reaction when I see something else I gotta have. THREE HOURS LATER I still haven't played the game. RIP. I could spend most of the day downloading things and not playing the game to see said stuff. Haha, I'm lame.

Though, as a rule of thumb I only ever download stuff I know I'll use a lot in my game and on my sims.

I've only had a few CC that didn't work correctly and just removed it and all was gravy. Though when I am downloading a good couple of CC at a time I always shove it in a 'recent' download folder so if something is a miss it's way easier to find it. Different folders for different things. In my sims 2 and 3 days I did not organize for jack diddly and it was a nightmare.

Keeping your mod folder organized will save your life one day. :p
    5vJrxmT.png