Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Packs- worth it?

They're 25% through Monday... is it worth it to get some of them? Which ones do you like best?

Also, what is the difference between a game pack and expansion pack?

Comments

• Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    One word: Absolutely!
    A lot of people, myself included think the GPs are much better put together than the EPs. My favourite is vampires, but I have a creative/artistic inclination towards vampires - you might not.

If you like family play parenthood is good, dine out and spa day are great if you like your sims to go out and about to different community lots and outdoor retreat makes for a nice holiday destination.

I would suggest reading articles about them on either sims wiki or Carl's sims 4 guides if you can't decide - a quick google search will take you to the relevant articles. :)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    For the price and what you get, they're worth it. In terms of what I used the most, Vampires is my favorite, but Outdoor Retreat was also very much worth it to me. I also got Spa Day, but I don't use it that much apart from having my Sim give one of his wives the occasional massage.

Game Packs are DLC content that offer content that, unlike Expansion Packs, focus on one theme alone. Vampires focused on Vampires. Parenthood focused on family gameplay. Outdoor Retreat focused on taking a vaction to the great outdoors and so on. Most agree, including myself, that there is more gameplay value in Game Packs rather than Expansion Packs.

Now don't get me wrong. Not every Expansion Pack is terrible. For example, I enjoy Get Together. But the Expansion Packs don't focus on one theme as well as the Game Packs do which tends to result in more content, but the majority of it isn't as fleshed out. We've yet to have an Expansion Pack that seemed to blow everybody's minds where as for Vampires, sure, the Sims has done Vampires before, but not like this. These Vampires are innovative and creative. No Expansion Pack has reached that height yet as far as I'm concerned.

Expansion Packs also cost the amount of two Game Packs. There's that to consider as well.
  • Options
    tac612tac612 Posts: 453 Member
    For the price and what you get, they're worth it. In terms of what I used the most, Vampires is my favorite, but Outdoor Retreat was also very much worth it to me. I also got Spa Day, but I don't use it that much apart from having my Sim give one of his wives the occasional massage.

Game Packs are DLC content that offer content that, unlike Expansion Packs, focus on one theme alone. Vampires focused on Vampires. Parenthood focused on family gameplay. Outdoor Retreat focused on taking a vaction to the great outdoors and so on. Most agree, including myself, that there is more gameplay value in Game Packs rather than Expansion Packs.

Now don't get me wrong. Not every Expansion Pack is terrible. For example, I enjoy Get Together. But the Expansion Packs don't focus on one theme as well as the Game Packs do which tends to result in more content, but the majority of it isn't as fleshed out. We've yet to have an Expansion Pack that seemed to blow everybody's minds where as for Vampires, sure, the Sims has done Vampires before, but not like this. These Vampires are innovative and creative. No Expansion Pack has reached that height yet as far as I'm concerned.

Expansion Packs also cost the amount of two Game Packs. There's that to consider as well.

Thanks!! Because of Black Friday sales, I was ablento grab some of the expansion packs for 60% off and a few Game Packs for 25% off
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    as others have said, the game packs overall pretty much blow any other pack type out of the water. again, because they can focus so heavily on their main focus. i enjoy all of them and even if i don't often use their main focus anymore (outdoor retreat), so many of their build mode and cas assets get used in nearly every lot and sim i make (or modify, in the case of townies)

while outdoor retreat is the least used, gameplay-wise, it's got some great items in it, and a huge assortment of new collectibles, if you're into those (i am, esp fish). the world is beautiful. i just wish you could visit it without having to go on vacations (or getting invited to a restaurant set in it if you have dine out)
    spa day is also a good one, if you can squeeze in the room for a spa lot. massages and the sauna can be fine, but i really, really enjoy the wellness skill with its yoga and meditation (and eventual teleporting). and the pack introduced aquariums and some really pretty fish perfect for sims to watch while they relax. virtually every household (and many public lots) i make has at least one aquarium.
    dine out is absolutely a game-changer for me. i don't even have played sims run most of the restaurants in my game and i try to keep the restaurants themed, which is quite easy to do with how packs manage to overlap in sims 4. i have a pan-asian restaurant that serves pretty much everything from city living, as well as stir fries and other things that sound like they belong (like the glazed bamboo and tiger shrimp dishes from dine out). an alien restaurant with all alien staff and decor that serves the 'weird' stuff like sixam pit beast, alien fruit tarts, cowplant essence pies, the drinks unlocked by astronauts and more. a restaurant in granite falls (outdoor retreat) serves all sorts of camping related and home-cooked foods with the staff dressed as lumberjacks. if you don't feel like designing restaurants yourself, there are amazing ones on the gallery (the pan-asian and granite falls ones were both from there. i just tweaked their menus a bit). and i have more restaurants, but this thread isn't 'gush about your restaurants!' so we'll move on.
    vampires, as others have said above, is beyond amazing, too. when they were able to focus so exclusively on the vampire state, it blew any previous attempt on the lifestate away. all the powers and weaknesses and just little details they've managed to put in (though i do get tired of that little 'rawr, rawr. RAWR!' thing they do entirely too frequently). there are currently some issues with vampires right now (and several threads about that) but i'm looking forward to getting back to my undead when those issues get sorted. as is, the decor and such is still top notch. had fun redecorating the goth house. though, unlike many simmers, i never turned them into vampires.
    and parenthood...some love it, some hate it. but it added a lot for children and teens. and a bit for toddlers (who really needed it, and their own stuff pack). with their mood swings and phases, the teens feel a lot more like teens. and the new responsibilities for them and children is nice, as long as you can keep them from trolling on the forums...
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    tac612 wrote: »
    They're 25% through Monday... is it worth it to get some of them? Which ones do you like best?

Also, what is the difference between a game pack and expansion pack?

Yes game packs are worth it. The only one I wouldn't reccomend is dine out.
    Because you can't work as a chef/host or server like you could in the past games and those horrible experimental foods :(

Game packs seem to vocus mainly on one things instead of focusing on many and of course is cheaper. For some anyway.

What theme you like depends.

Me. I like spa day and vampires.
    Because I like the themes the most.
    So what theme do you like out of the current packs. It should help you decide.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I like the Gamepacks better than the eps. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I like the Gamepacks better than the eps. LOL.

And I agree. They do a better job than the expansions apart from cats&dogs.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    phantom121294phantom121294 Posts: 151 Member
    I think out of all the content released after launch. I have three that stand out out as must haves for my enjoyment. Two of them are GP's. Last one is city living but we aren't talking about EP's here.

Vampires is a game changer. Its probably the best sims 4 release, even people who don't like vampires agree it was done right. The pack basically says "hey you like vampires, we made you vampires, their good, have fun." It was good and it was fun. I most likely won't go back to playing regular sims for the rest of sims 4 lifespan. The packs adds a surprising amount of depth to your sims that the base games and EP's can't really give you.

Dine out is the second. Most people think vampires and parenthood are the way to go. Personally I have always loved dine out, and now more than ever it seems (to me) less buggy than it has been previously. Customers still get up and move, and employees still have their off moments. But it runs fairly smooth. If you aren't interested in running a business the pack still has just venues you can visit to eat, and the new experimental foods which are amazing to look at. Very food focused pack but its definitely worth it for me (yes even after vampires).

If I had to make a third recommendation it would parenthood. Its definitely needed (or at least recommended) for family play. I can't really elaborate to much as i'm currently raising a toddler so I haven't made it all the way through. But more family content will always be welcome to most people.

Spa day and outdoor retreat are kinda....off. Yea they are alright in some regards. But I feel like they were made before the sims teams really realized what GP's could accomplish. Nice to have but not a must have for me.
    Specs: i9-9900k, SLI 2080ti MSI SeaHawk EK X, 32g 3000hz Corsair RAM, 2TB M.2 Samsung SSD, EVGA 1600W. Custom loop done by myself with dual 560mm radiators.
    JOVa2Sn.jpg