Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Setting Up Tumblr for Sharing.

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited October 2017 in The Sims 2
For those of you on Tumblr or share your lots and Sims or even your own custom content, how does one go about all this? I use Winrar and should files be compressed with Winrar or can you simply bundled or is compression better?

Any steps would be helpful, thank you.

Also, how do you handle any custom content in your lots and on your Sims whose custom content creators have retired, and their links to their sites are no longer active. I'm sure someone should still give these people all the create but in the past we used to link to their sites but most those sites are gone now.

ETA: For picture sharing, I was burnt one time over on Photobucket many years ago, and refused for many years to ever share any pictures of anything anymore...once bitten, twice shy, lol. (I was hacked by an unknown person to my personal pictures having nothing to do with Sims...it happens) so how safe is other picture hosting sites, for not giving out your real name and personal pictures when someone looks at your pictures?
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited October 2017
    about dead sites
    there is a Graveyard site, they have files for download from defunct sites
    sims2graveyard.com
    i think as long a site is on the Graveyard site it's rather safe to put the CC into your DLs too
    if you find CC from sites not on the Graveyard site, then you could contact them, if they could host those files too
    but in general to offer CC from other creators is difficult & cumbersome

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    about dead sites
    there is a Graveyard site, they have files for download from defunct sites
    http://sims2graveyard.com/
    i think as long a site is on the Graveyard site it's rather safe to put the CC into your DLs too
    if you find CC from sites not on the Graveyard site, then you could contact them, if they could host those files too
    but in general to offer CC from other creators is difficult & cumbersome

Yes, I have that site bookmarked but I have noticed when you follow the links to some of those it links, it leads to other things having nothing to do with the site they linked and sometimes you can wind up with that popup swearing your pc is infected and you need to call them. (you never know which link site might go there). I've gotten it several times, you simply have to get out of, off the internet and restart pc when that happens because it won't let you close or stop your browser.

That's why I'm asking for more reliable ways to share or link back to dead sites.

ETA: Anything I would share on a Sim has a note they are free to share, post on your site, use in your stories or videos as long as you gave the creator credit. Yes, I believe in following their requests.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    unfortunately, there aren't more reliable ways

if you find a broken or infected link, contact them
    if you offer those DLs on your own it might get difficult with some creators

that's why i said that to offer CC from other creators is cumbersome, it was always that way & is still the same :smile:
    the safest way is to rely only on the game's official content or made by yourself

& btw, surf never without a good antivirus :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    unfortunately, there aren't more reliable ways

if you find a broken or infected link, contact them
    if you offer those DLs on your own it might get difficult with some creators

that's why i said that to offer CC from other creators is cumbersome, it was always that way & is still the same :smile:
    the safest way is to rely only on the game's official content or made by yourself

& btw, surf never without a good antivirus :wink:

What about stuff like Peggy hair? PeggySims passed away and no one has the market on her meshes. Would it be wrong to share those meshes? which some of my Sims might be wearing.

ETA: ( I plan on offering some of my own cc).
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    i think paysites are rather out of question
    at least i wouldn't do it
    their policy was always extremely strict
    just because a site is defunct ... somehow out of respect for the wishes, i wouldn't do it, it's sort of piracy still

• Options
    edited October 2017
    i think paysites are rather out of question
    at least i wouldn't do it
    their policy was always extremely strict

I think you are misunderstanding. 'Peggy' passed away, her site is a dead link that can infect your pc since it is not maintained, and is not even on the internet anymore. But plenty of us donated and or got her free sharewear hair, and as I said no one else took over her site and it has been gone for many years. MTS host many peggy hairstyles, too.

But none of this was my point, just wanted to know the ins and outs of tumblr and winrar (compressed or not compressed) and lots and links to cc included.
  • Options
    if it was a free shareware hair, that's ok
    if you find the hair on MTS or some other reliable source like TSR, that's ok too, cause those people asked & care
    but all hair you paid for, it's still not your property, you paid for your own private usage only
    i of course cannot hinder you to offer those files, i just tell you what i know from my experience as CC creator, user & DL provider
    it's at least about respect for the wishes of CC creators

• Options
    edited October 2017
    if it was a free shareware hair, that's ok
    if you find the hair on MTS or some other reliable source like TSR, that's ok too, cause those people asked & care
    but all hair you paid for, it's still not your property, you paid for your own private usage only
    i of course cannot hinder you to offer those files, i just tell you what i know from my experience as CC creator, user & DL provider
    it's at least about respect for the wishes of CC creators

Of course, but if it says free to post on your site, recolor, and share just give credit and never a paysite then it would be fine right?

ETA: Most the stuff I have or use says the above, and if it's in lots, it says I can post but never on the Exchange, which has been gone for ten years so of course no one can share to the exchange. But they do say post on your site just link back or give credit. ETA: The problem there is, there aren't any links to some of these people anymore.
  • Options
    if the TOS allows it, then it was always allowed
    you are oc unable to provide a link since the site is defunct but you can still give credit & the info that the site is long gone :smile:

• Options
    if the TOS allows it, then it was always allowed
    you are oc unable to provide a link since the site is defunct but you can still give credit & the info that the site is long gone :smile:

Thanks, I don't want to do anything wrong. But I love to build some very run down things and yes I know I might have to go through and exchange cc for Maxis stuff before uploading if they don't want it shared. I'm just not savvy on setting up a picture hoster and or tumblr or even MediaFire, lol, I don't want my personal info out there, since I had very bad experience in Photobucket many years ago.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    i use for pictures picload & tinypic atm
    but oc free sites to host pictures are unreliable
    files hosts are even worse, when i want to DL something i am running always into some with more ads than DLs
    then, as i still made CC & provided DLs i had it all on my own website, paid money myself to host files & pictures
    if you have some money, i would still recommend it probably, it's not that much to pay if your traffic is not very big

tumblr the last time as i used it was very unreliable even to upload a post with pictures, quite irksome,
    maybe it changed, it's been few years meantime

& if you use files by others which are free or from MTS, then i would still recommend it to post DLs there, on MTS
    you can always set up a tumblr site additionally & link to your DLs on MTS, several points of info about your files is always better
    you are easier to find that way

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Thank you. I have a long way to go before I will share my own cc, but I think I'm coming along at a faster pace than I thought I would. (Studying hard, lol). ETA: One reason I wanted to know about Tumblr is so I can move there, if it's friendly enough. :)
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I advise against tinypic. They recycle image url's.

As for dead site CC, I'd say as long as credit is given, it's fine to upload. Paysite or not. Especially if you're recoloring or retexturing a mesh. If they cared enough about their stuff to maintain a TOU even after they stopped creating for the game, the site should have remained up. And it's in honor of the memories of the ones who passed away to continue to share their stuff.
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=MTS:Sims_2_Create

There are all sorts of tutorials here for packaging lots, bodyshop items, and whole sims, including putting it into a .rar file or a .zip
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    Thanks @Scribal-Goddess, this will help, and thank you @Seera1021 for the encouragement. But what do you mean by tinypic recycles image urls? I don't understand.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Thanks @Scribal-Goddess, this will help, and thank you @Seera1021 for the encouragement. But what do you mean by tinypic recycles image urls? I don't understand.

After an extended period of time, they start reusing urls. So your image of your CC after so long will no longer be a picture of your CC, but could be anything. And I mean anything.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Seera1024 wrote: »

After an extended period of time, they start reusing urls. So your image of your CC after so long will no longer be a picture of your CC, but could be anything. And I mean anything.

Oh, wow, thank you for the information. That's horrible. Maybe that explains some (shouldn't be viewed by kids) pics show up when I search for custom content sometimes.
  • Options
    maybe this could help also
    discovered today a sims file sharing site

http://simfileshare.net/

• Options
    Thank you! I will check it out.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Thank you! I will check it out.
    If you choose to use simfileshare, PM me and I can give you an invite code.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/