Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting a new desktop tower and have some questions?

AkiraAnubiseAkiraAnubise Posts: 240 Member
edited September 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
Well, my tower is starting to give out after 5 years, and am looking at new ones. Though I am not a tech genius and no nothing about computers I was wondering if anyone could help.

While looking I was wondering what the difference between 12GB and 16GB, and which one will play the sims 4 while storing my files, using it for browsing and my art program. Also is there a difference between quad-core and double intel core? Because one of the towers I am looking at is an

HP Pavilion 570-P017C Desktop
RAM: 16GB
Processor speed: 3.00 GHz
Hard Drive:1 TB
Processor type: Intel core i5-7400 (quad-Core)
Edit: AMD Radeon R7 450 Graphics

Edit: Also ment to add Sims 4 is the only PC game I play on it.

I was just seeing if it is good enough for everything I need and be able to play the Sims 4, before I spend nearly 500 dollars on it. Also is a lot of TB needed for the sims?
Post edited by AkiraAnubise on

Comments

• Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited September 2017
    Do not buy that, The graphics card is terrible and will run the game poorly.
    It's not a very good investment, That HP is going to be very hard to upgrade and it's limited space and lack of cooling would make it a terrible choice.
    You would be much better raising your budget and getting something better
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertronpc-palladium-desktop-intel-core-i5-7400-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-1tb-hdd-blue/5844300.p?skuId=5844300
    Honestly if your budget cannot reach that far then save, because buying something like that HP would be a bad move. Especially with the game getting more demanding.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    edited September 2017
    12GB or 16GB is just RAM, its not storage and its just how much memory is available to your computer during operation. I would say either will be fine for Sims and MOST games but to be safe get 16GB of RAM for nowadays. For quad core and dual core as its called, to survive in gaming today you NEED a quad core these days, even for Sims I wouldnt recommend a dual core.

1TB is fine for Sims and is a good amount of storage space for today, you could get away with 500GB if you only play or mostly play Sims but storage is cheap anyways and its easy enough to get 1TB or even 2TB but 1TB is fine for today.

This is the bad part of this build which is unfortunately going to be the stick in the mud for this PC, the GPU is bad and wont run this game well at all.
    I wouldn't get this PC and instead look for another desktop, its better to get a custom build PC rather than a brand like HP, Dell, ect. for desktops. The processor is fine.

Try looking for a desktop with at least an i5 processor or Ryzen 3 or AMD FX 8000 series. With RAM you can get by with 8GB but now its very quickly not becoming enough so I would highly recommend going with 12GB or 16GB. For storage 1TB is fine. For the Graphics card which is honestly the most important part here, Try finding a computer with an "Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti" or "AMD RX 460, 470" if you play demanding games other than the Sims maybe a GTX 1060, although thats getting a bit expensive.

And $500 won't be enough for this, if you are in the USA I would estimate you are looking around 700-800 dollars or so for a PC that will run this game smoothly and will at least be viable for other games

EDIT: Sorry I saw you put in the edit for the graphics card.
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Options
    AkiraAnubiseAkiraAnubise Posts: 240 Member
    edited September 2017
    cale2003 wrote: »
    12GB or 16GB is just RAM, its not storage and its just how much memory is available to your computer during operation. I would say either will be fine for Sims and MOST games but to be safe get 16GB of RAM for nowadays. For quad core and dual core as its called, to survive in gaming today you NEED a quad core these days, even for Sims I wouldnt recommend a dual core.

1TB is fine for Sims and is a good amount of storage space for today, you could get away with 500GB if you only play or mostly play Sims but storage is cheap anyways and its easy enough to get 1TB or even 2TB but 1TB is fine for today.

This is the bad part of this build which is unfortunately going to be the stick in the mud for this PC, the GPU is bad and wont run this game well at all.
    I wouldn't get this PC and instead look for another desktop, its better to get a custom build PC rather than a brand like HP, Dell, ect. for desktops. The processor is fine.

Try looking for a desktop with at least an i5 processor or Ryzen 3 or AMD FX 8000 series. With RAM you can get by with 8GB but now its very quickly not becoming enough so I would highly recommend going with 12GB or 16GB. For storage 1TB is fine. For the Graphics card which is honestly the most important part here, Try finding a computer with an "Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti" or "AMD RX 460, 470" if you play demanding games other than the Sims maybe a GTX 1060, although thats getting a bit expensive.

And $500 won't be enough for this, if you are in the USA I would estimate you are looking around 700-800 dollars or so for a PC that will run this game smoothly and will at least be viable for other games

EDIT: Sorry I saw you put in the edit for the graphics card.

Thanks that's all I need to know, as I am currently running the game on a Nivida GeForce. :) The Sims 4 is the only game I play for PC, as i am more of a PS4 person.

Do not buy that, The graphics card is terrible and will run the game poorly.
    It's not a very good investment, That HP is going to be very hard to upgrade and it's limited space and lack of cooling would make it a terrible choice.
    You would be much better raising your budget and getting something better
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertronpc-palladium-desktop-intel-core-i5-7400-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-1tb-hdd-blue/5844300.p?skuId=5844300
    Honestly if your budget cannot reach that far then save, because buying something like that HP would be a bad move. Especially with the game getting more demanding.

I'll look into, I'm willing to save for it. :)
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited September 2017
    Yep would be wise to save, Looking at minimum of $650 for something decent.
    When you have the money just let us know and we can help you find something or answer any questions you have :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    MsReid113MsReid113 Posts: 11 New Member
    Just purchased this desktop for playing Sims 2 and Sims 4. Will this do. I
    plan on using a few mods but a lot of cc.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-1400-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

Hard Drive Capacity1000 gigabytes
    Hard Drive Type SATA
    Operating System Windows 10
    Processor Speed (Base) 3.2 gigahertz
    Processor Model AMD Ryzen 5 1400 quad processor
    System Memory (RAM) 8 gigabytes
    GraphicsAMD Radeon RX 580 4gb dedicated memory

Cache Memory 8 megabytes
    Media Card Reader No
    System Memory RAM Expandable To64 gigabytes
    Type of Memory (RAM) DDR4 SDRAM
    Number Of Memory Slots4

Graphics Type Discrete
    Video Memory TypeDedicated
    Video Memory 4096 megabyte
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    MsReid113 wrote: »
    Just purchased this desktop for playing Sims 2 and Sims 4. Will this do. I
    plan on using a few mods but a lot of cc.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-1400-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

Hard Drive Capacity1000 gigabytes
    Hard Drive Type SATA
    Operating System Windows 10
    Processor Speed (Base) 3.2 gigahertz
    Processor Model AMD Ryzen 5 1400 quad processor
    System Memory (RAM) 8 gigabytes
    GraphicsAMD Radeon RX 580 4gb dedicated memory

Cache Memory 8 megabytes
    Media Card Reader No
    System Memory RAM Expandable To64 gigabytes
    Type of Memory (RAM) DDR4 SDRAM
    Number Of Memory Slots4

Graphics Type Discrete
    Video Memory TypeDedicated
    Video Memory 4096 megabyte

It meets recommended requirements to run the sims 4 and 2. Some people have had issues running the sims 2 on windows 10. You would have to check with the sims 2 section should you have issues running it