Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would YOU be able to?

Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
I had recently done a complete overhaul, new game folder and everything, of my Sims 2 UC, game.

Saving before hand of course, those mods and CC that I deemed "absolutely necessary" to have in my game. And, it occurred to me, as I scanned down the list of "must haves", that given the way I've modded the game up, I'm not entirely sure I'd "recognize" the game, if I were to play it totally "vanilla"! *LOL*

So yeah, it got me to wondering, would YOU be able to really "recognize" your game, if you were to play it completely without any mods and CC?

And for those of you who don't use any mods or CC as is, how DO you do it? *Chuckles again*

Comments

• Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    I have... rather a lot of CC.

My must-have mods are a relatively short list, though, because I tested them a long time ago to make sure they don't conflict. Most of them don't change the look of the game though, they're all either to prevent corruption or to fix different game nuisances, other than ACR and a few other things that let my sims be more autonomous.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    @Scribal_Goddess , where did you find ACR? And, what other kinds of mods that let your sims be more autonomous, do you have/where did you find them?
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I have a ton of CC and mods. To answer your question though ya I would still be able to recognize my game. A lot of mods I use is just things to prevent corruption, or to tailor the game more to the way I would like it, but are not necessities. I have played without them without issue. Most of my CC just makes things look better, but that does not change the functionality of the game and are not necessary, just nice to have. The rest of my CC are extra objects (mostly toddler stuff) or things that are recolors of things that were already in the game.
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    At this point in time, I do not think so. Ive been able to play ts3 and ts4 CC and Mod free, but I found out about the Exchange in 2005, so that will have been the last time I played a completely vanilla ts2. Sure several reinstalls and game breaks have happened since then but I always start downloading like LITERALLY right away so :p
  • Options
    @Scribal_Goddess , where did you find ACR? And, what other kinds of mods that let your sims be more autonomous, do you have/where did you find them?

ACR is at Simbology, here. It stands for autonomous casual romance, and it allows your sims to pick their own partners, have unplanned children, and various other related things. It takes some tweaking to get your settings the way you want them for each sim, but after that it runs on it's own.

I have a mod that makes sims call friends autonomously to talk to fill their social needs, though I forget what it's called right now (possibly autoyak?) a variety of fixes so that sims aren't constantly rolling the same few high probability wants (I got them in a mod set from MATY) and a literal pile of Cyjon mods that increase or decrease the chances of specific behaviors (like kicky bag, talking through a teddy bear, etc. being done autonomously. One of these hacks makes dormies and townies take better care of themselves, I believe that one is called self preservation. Most of them can be found on Symbology, just google Cyjon's hacks.)

Most of the "more autonomy" hacks turn out to be "prevent a single behavior from being the only one sims ever do when idle" and "have visiting sims actually take care of themselves for once."
  • Options
    @Scribal_Goddess , thank you very much! I've heard of autoyak before, and I also have some of the mods that fix high probability wants and idle behaviors and what not. I'll have to look for that "self preservation" one!

Definitely going to check into ACR now, thanks again. Sure sounds like it could make for interesting fun! ;)
  • Options
    @Scribal_Goddess , thank you very much! I've heard of autoyak before, and I also have some of the mods that fix high probability wants and idle behaviors and what not. I'll have to look for that "self preservation" one!

Definitely going to check into ACR now, thanks again. Sure sounds like it could make for interesting fun! ;)

Oh, it is. I set it to automatically choose whether sims were straight, gay, or bi, including townies, and I randomize jealousy and fidelity for each sim, so that some of them can be in open relationships if they chose. (In practice, this has always been romance and pleasure sims, but that could just be because they roll the wants.)

I've also got some advice here in case you want to have some sims who ACR doesn't effect - for example, ace sims, or sims who aren't supposed to be randomly 🐸🐸🐸🐸 called by the rest of the neighborhood. :)
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    No mods. Some CC, mostly ladies outfits, wall & floor patterns, various furniture items. Hard to get a medieval or Victorian look with just the Maxis stuff.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I sometimes play the game without any mods or cc when I feel like starting over. I did this a lot before we got TS2UC, but some of the mods I keep prevent things that I felt ruined the game.

Like when Apartment Life was installed it made owners of businesses have to greet the customer first. Instead of being able to walk over and start selling, you had to greet everybody and they interrupted your employees, too.

And everyone on any community lot was totally obsessed with 'greeting' every Sim on the lots. Your Sim couldn't even work behind the bar or sell coffee in a restaurant or club just to get some quick cash because every Sim that entered the lot had to greet your Sim and was interrupted over and over. My Sim was changing in and out of the outfit to work behind bar over and over..I was raising cane, lol, just to make $16.00.

I installed a mod to stop all that. They still greet on community lots but before AL your Sim never had to greet someone before they could speak to that Sim. So, I felt AL (precursor to TS3's greet first aggravation) had ruined TS2 in that way. When twenty Sims have to meet everyone and interrupt your Sim from whatever, it's a bad move in my opinion. I would not be able to play AL without that mod.

And I disliked the witches showing up on owned lots (it caused tremedous lag) and causing all sorts of vermin etc. anywhere is fine but not owned lots. They also added a feature that made you have to pay your owner...it was never in OFB...I hated that, too. It seems the later EPs really did things to change previous EPs and I have to keep mods to keep OFB exactly like it was when released.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I used to have a tooon but when I rebought the game, I didnt feel like "shopping" through a thousand sites to find cc again. So i just play it vanilla, but my sims4 game had a ton of cc and i dont even play it anymore ;;;
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    And everyone on any community lot was totally obsessed with 'greeting' every Sim on the lots. Your Sim couldn't even work behind the bar or sell coffee in a restaurant or club just to get some quick cash because every Sim that entered the lot had to greet your Sim and was interrupted over and over. My Sim was changing in and out of the outfit to work behind bar over and over..I was raising cane, lol, just to make $16.00.

I installed a mod to stop all that. They still greet on community lots but before AL your Sim never had to greet someone before they could speak to that Sim. So, I felt AL (precursor to TS3's greet first aggravation) had ruined TS2 in that way. When twenty Sims have to meet everyone and interrupt your Sim from whatever, it's a bad move in my opinion. I would not be able to play AL without that mod.

And I disliked the witches showing up on owned lots (it caused tremedous lag) and causing all sorts of vermin etc. anywhere is fine but not owned lots. They also added a feature that made you have to pay your owner...it was never in OFB...I hated that, too. It seems the later EPs really did things to change previous EPs and I have to keep mods to keep OFB exactly like it was when released.

Yeah, the greeting insanity is one of the things that I would have hoped to see patched if AL hadn't been the last expansion ever and something they pretty much gave up supporting right away. Thank goodness for modders... I use the Visitor Controller to ban the head witches (and grand vampires) from my owned and unowned community lots, since they're all lag machines, lol. (I just hide the Visitor Controller in the roofline, because even my camping lots have an outhouse to use.)