Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone lost hope for future eps?

WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
No matter how many times you try to twist it, you can't deny it...The Sims 4 expansion packs up until now have been very underwhelming. Yes they introduced something new each ep but The Sims 3 eps introduced at least 2x the amount. I really want the next one to meet standards but it will probably be more excuses. Each time I remember that they couldn't animate an elevator even though the asking price was $40, I cringe. :neutral:
Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
Post edited by Wulfsimmer on

Comments

• Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    no, i still have hope.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    no, i still have hope.

Good for you I guess :blush:

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    no, i still have hope.

ditto! in a decade, everyone will be gazing upon ts4 with wonder and awe and I shall be there to say "I implied this outcome would come into fruition," which is what matters the most.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    TiaDogTiaDog Posts: 79 Member
    Well look we have gotten since the last ep. Hopefully the next one is better then the ones we have had.
    Sims Games I like to play - Sims 2 / Sims Medieval / Sims 2 Pets ( Wii ) / MySims / MySims Kingdom ( Wii )
    i-like-to-be-alone-but-i-hate-being-lonely-quote-1.jpg
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    I've yet to be disappointed in any pack, even the bowling pack that I have never used the bowling aspect of it, I loved the furniture that came with it. I think the EPs have been good, I think Pets is coming this year and am hopeful for Seasons next year. The ONLY thing I wish was that we'd at least get 2 EPs a year instead of one.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    No matter how many times you try to twist it, you can't deny it...The Sims 4 expansion packs up until now have been very underwhelming.

Here's my opinion, twisted around to make it look like a universal fact. What a good point to start a discussion on.
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Nope, I am still sure that the last eps were only so disappointing because they worked on toddlers at the same time. I think pets will be a good ep.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Nah, I've allocate my hope towards Game Packs. The only Expansions I need are Seasons and Pets.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm fine with the current EPs -- they've added new features and abilities to my games that I've been able to use in a variety of situations. I'm expecting Pets (if that's this fall's pack) to be great, and if Seasons is now on the drawing board it will be great as well with more time for developing it. In the meantime, I enjoy encorporating all the content in my games -- whether it's EP, GP or SP.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    Lack of toddlers were my primary complaint with the game. Now that that's remedied, and because they did so well with toddlers, I have revived hope that content will improve.

That said, I'm disappointed with the amount of EPs. GPs and SPs are awesome and all, but they simply lack the meat of an EP. I'm personally becoming starved for space in a lot of my saves. I need a few more Windenburg sized neighborhoods, and I doubt that we will get a 'hood of that size outside of an EP. And if they stick to the pattern of 1 EP a year, were still going to be cramped on space by the end of TS4's run.

Of course, I'm also missing the content of EPs. The big gamechanging stuff like pets and seasons are still in limbo, and with extensive as that style content is, I really don't think they could be downgraded to GP status without the quality suffering.

Anyways, I still have hope. Toddlers renewed my faith by a lot, so I'm hopeful that the sims team is paying attention to us still and working on great things that we've been asking for.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I'm looking forward to the next EP and hoping for either seasons or pets.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    CrueltivityCrueltivity Posts: 161 Member
    If it doesn't have actual new gameplay they can keep it. EP's are turning to Super Stuff Packs by now. it's ridiculous
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Nothing will change until the masses stop gobbling up all the second-rate fare they keep serving us.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    the base game lacks, the basic tools lack, no new additional content can remedy that
    & the devs are busy to port this game successfully to any available device, that's their priority now not a fully fleshed out sims game :lol:

i just sit & watch where this franchise is heading nowadays, i don't have any expectations but i didn't have any with the previous game either with the exception that previous games exceeded in what was delivered while this game rather doesn't with few exceptions & that's why the word "underwhelming" surpassed the word "potential" meantime :tongue:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I don't know if I've really lost hope because I mean I had low expectations ever since the base game came out with no toddlers or pools. So I basically expect this game to disappoint me now. I like the GPs I've bought, but I'm still so bored with the game. It's been a very slow year. I hope once they bring out Seasons that I'll be able to get into it a bit more again. Til then I just kind of check in on the forums and see what's new.
  • Options
    LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    I'm losing hope, to be honest. I like the content we have so far, I don't think it's lacking much. But honestly, 1 ep/year? TS3 lasted 5 years, right? So we will end this with 5 EPs, half a dozen GPs and a bazzilion Stuff Packs, I don't see that as a win. I hope I'm wrong though.
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    With people asking for the same plum things I def. dont have hope.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    Deadlywoman1969Deadlywoman1969 Posts: 5 New Member
    Yeah for any of the good old ones.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Yes and no.

Yes I've lost hope because to me, it seems very much obvious that the Sims team is underfunded and undersupported. The EP rate is slower, patches and updates seem slow lately, the EP quality is lower (compare Ambitions to GTW, or compare Late Night to City Living or Get Together) and everything in general just seems slower and lower in quality. I fully expect Pets to bomb out, because we're already gonna be getting just Cats and Dogs. When we go back from Cats, Dogs and Horses to just Cats and Dogs, they NEED to make vast improvements to those two or people are gonna wonder why on earth they're expected to pay $40 for a new version of Pets with less content. I have no hope those improvements will actually happen and I fully expect disappointment again, so speaking personally I currently I have no plans to buy the EP.

As for the "No"...?

The one exception is that even with a lower budget, it's possible to circumvent that and find ways to add loads of content while not demanding much in ways of cost or funding. Vampires for example really only demanded their new powers UI be coded in, and then they just have to individually code all the effects of the powers. The animations were there, but only a couple and nothing TOO intense. Vampires also seemed content-heavy for once instead of content-lacking. Even from a perspective of CAS and Buy mode items, many people wanted to buy it because it offered plenty and in a unique style. I suspect this is because the powers system itself was very gameplay intensive but did NOT demand much time or effort to produce, so it left more time and funding to flesh out other things, such as CAS, Buy Mode and the mini-neighborhood we got.

Get Together is somewhat the same. It's system didn't really prove to have as much replay value as Vampires, in my experience, (Clubs feel better suited to help flesh out your town and add immersion, but they don't actually feel too gameplay intensive since your Sims are still doing the same old stuff) but the concept behind clubs is actually rather simple and easy to do, so I imagine they were able to make Clubs for us and likewise had plenty of time and funding left to make things such as Windenburg.

My point is that with some clever thought put into it, I think it's possible to salvage the EPs (and GPs) just by trying to think of gameplay concepts that are easy to produce and yet have significant gameplay returns for the player. I highly, highly support a Witch GP because the foundation they'd need is already there via Vampires, so hopefully they could produce another content-heavy GP for us regardless of budget. We saw that system worked for Vampires, and with a Witches GP it could work again, plus hopefully do more since half the work has already been done for them.

As for EPs though...?

The problem that EPs find themselves in is that EP development is soooooooooo slow that we have to "make cuts" just to get what we want. People seem to have long given up on the idea of getting a vacation EP or a celebrity/showtime EP, and instead Pets and Seasons have been named as the essentials. The issue with these is that there's not really any clever tricks they can introduce to circumvent a low budget. No, Pets are animation-intensive as well as coding intensive, so they're bound to blow much of their budget on just the basics and have nothing left over to really flesh them out with. Seasons likewise demands a new weather system and seasonal time system be introduced, and I imagine this too eats into their budget.

When we find ourselves in a situation where Sims 4 must produce content that Sims 2 and Sims 3 had, then yes, we WILL compare them and yes, we WILL notice if Sims 4 has a lower budget than the other two had. On these fronts, I only expect disappointment because Sims 4 has done nothing but disappoint thusfar. That's not a fault of the team, the implementation or anything like that. That's just the simple truth that if Sims 2 and Sims 3 were given $20,000 to buy a new car and Sims 4 got only $5,000, we're going to notice a dip in quality with what car Sims 4 comes back with, and there was basically nothing Sims 4 could do about it.

....Except of course to refuse to use that money to buy a car like Sims 2 and Sims 3 did and instead come back with something entirely different yet nonetheless of use and interest to us. In this scenario, I'd actively encourage Sims 4 to "jump the shark" a little bit and come up with some unique gameplay and EP ideas in order to distance itself from Sims 2 and Sims 3. Don't just copy-paste old concepts, think up exciting new ones where we can't compare Sims 2 and 3 to Sims 4 because the former games simply didn't have those concepts at all. If the budget of Sims 4 is smaller as I suspect, Sims 4 is never ever ever gonna be able to beat those two at their own game and people will continue to make comparisons highlighting this while stating their disappointment in Sims 4. What Sims 4 needs to do is dream up entirely new concepts that are different, but fun regardless. They once had a Superheroes EP idea for example that I suspect has been trashed by now; seems like they reworked the underlying gameplay concept to apply to Vampires. I was highly supportive of the concept of Superheros, because while it's definitely new and not too requested, it also has the potential to neccesitize Sims 4. If you one day desired to play a Sims game and play as a Superhero rather than a Vampire...? Well, the other titles don't really support such a concept, so obviously Sims 4 would be your go-to. Another concept they pitched was that they were going to do City Management, where basically the Mayor/President political job would've been fleshed out to allow you to highly customize a neighborhood and even create legal policies. Yes, they should've done that. This doesn't really exist in former Sims games, so once again it would allow them to distance Sims 4 from the others and say "sure Sims 2 and 3 were fantastic, but neither of them lets you play Mayor as extensively as Sims 4 does," and just like that you've given people motivation to load the game up.

Sadly, I do not expect any clever tricks from the EP team. The GP team seems eager to experiment and try to find clever ways to provide meaningful content, but the EP team....? It's more or less confirmed we get Pets this year, and next year is in all likelihood Seasons, and by this point we're actually questioning if Sims 4 is coming to an end soon. They're so focused on delivering popular old content that there simply isn't any breathing room to try and come up with new stuff.

"Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    edited August 2017
    Yup!

I'm pretty annoyed that modders have given so much more over the years than the actual sim team. >.< sure we get some really cool things, but WE'RE IN TS4 NOW!! and we still don't have weather in base game, and we're still stuck in the forever summer once again.. we still don't have babies that are something more than an object, we have gone from open worlds to closed worlds, cars to no cars.. basically every new cool thing they added they seem to take it away.

Open worlds were amazing, it was the new big thing, the promise of stepping into your world for the first time like you've never seen it. Now we're back to day 1. Still to this day there is so much basic stuff that should be in the game but isn't. They really need to hire the modders because they are doing a bloody good job, and if it wasn't for the modders I wouldn't be playing TS4 at all.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    Same here to me
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I don't have any hope. Until the Stuff Pack sells so well, I don't understand why EA would make a better content for TS4. I already sayed it, but you don't have understand? For EA The Sims is a joke.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    nope
    you guys are really into that doom and gloom stuff and I'm just over here like whatever B)

That comment was highly unneccessary

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top