Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How are you all so good at building/designing lots?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Raychel8Raychel8 Posts: 110 Member
    So many of you have been helpful and wow I'm glad to know I'm not alone
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited June 2017
    I am new to The Sims with TS4. I have playing just over two years. I have improved a lot. But there is always room to grow.

I noticed the other day that on the smaller lots I built humongous houses, using nearly all the space. It is simething I need to work on. Also, landscaping is an area I need to work on.

• Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I'm not that great at building either, especially when it comes to landscaping, but I always watch youtubers speed builds of different houses for inspiration and ideas that I could possibly use in my own builds.
  • Options
    ElainaElaina Posts: 80 Member
    @GARYZGAL, I will definitely check out your builds. I always like looking at everyone's hard work. :)
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited June 2017
    Just keep on practicing! I used to stink so badly at it.

For example, this was one of my first builds:
    Tj3zDVE.jpg
    What is this atrocity even?? :joy:

And then I started watching DutchSims4Master and learnt a lot of techniques and now my builds kinda look like this:
    UWb9bGJ.jpg

Looking at pics of real houses is a good way to start. I don't really use floor plans like some of you suggested (nothing wrong with that), but I just prefer looking at photos and then just improvise from there. :)
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

Tj3zDVE.jpg

And then I started watching DutchSims4Master and learnt a lot of techniques and now my builds kinda look like this:
    UWb9bGJ.jpg

Looking at pics of real houses is a good way to start. I don't really use floor plans like some of you suggested (nothing wrong with that), but I just prefer looking at photos and then just improvise from there. :)

I actually quite like the first one....all you needed was another level and some sort of roofing. I love the way you did the windows.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    Oh and yes, DutchSims4Master is AMAZING! I've learned A LOT from him!
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    GARYZGAL wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »

Tj3zDVE.jpg

UWb9bGJ.jpg

I actually quite like the first one....all you needed was another level and some sort of roofing. I love the way you did the windows.

Haha, thanks. Yeah. I totally forgot to add any flat roofing at the top but that just goes to show how inexperienced I was back then. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Elaina wrote: »
    @GARYZGAL, I will definitely check out your builds. I always like looking at everyone's hard work. :)

Oh I hope you do! And my name on the gallery is LizzyChicago...I knew I had that wrong before. Feel free to let me know what you think!
  • Options
    John4estJohn4est Posts: 202 Member
    I'm really good at interior design, exterior proves to be difficult!!!
    2qwq9ah.jpg
  • Options
    orangeplumboborangeplumbob Posts: 1,102 Member
    Personally, I look at actual floor plans. I search online for the style I want to build, and then I use my personal "key" on how big is a wall. Typically measurements I cut in half or so. 1 square = 2 feet, or 1 square = 1 meter (depending on the measurements given). Windows in floor plans are also a great way to measure. Does the window look 1, 2, or 3 tiles. Reference pictures help. Once you figure out your key, and roughly how big 1 square is, then you can either just start building, or do what I used to do when I was still learning... Grab a notebook (the one with squares) and draw out the outline - 1 square = 1 square in game. The beauty of having a notebook is keeping the floor plans saved for future builds or games. I have a huge notebook filled with floor plans now.

Roofing takes a lot of practice, and watching YouTube videos. Using different types of roofs and mix/match them can make some really cool and unique looks. Also using the GT dance floors are awesome to make cool sky lights on flat more modern roofs.

Another rule of thumb, if you don't want to do floor plans. I've come up with a size grid for bedrooms: 5x5 for master rooms (sometimes 6x6) and regular rooms 4x4. Sounds small, but if you're just starting out, it's a good way to keep from making huge empty spaces. My husband had that issue until I told him these sizes, and he's found it does help keep his builds smaller.

But most of all, have fun.

Also. learn some decorative trips too. Decor can make or break a build, I've discovered. Learn how to use move objects on and the one more slot trick with surfaces (I finally learned it with my vanilla save). Easier way is to download the OMSP mod.

Also, another way to practice and learn how to build and decorate houses, is look for empty shells on the gallery, and make them your own. I've done this for builds I didn't know exactly where or how to start, and made some awesome builds this way.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Not a home designer in real life. I'm actually a baker. My first homes were absolutely horrid to be honest. I just kept trying because it was so much fun and eventually, with some youtube tutorials from awesome builders like James@TheSimsSupply and Deligracy, looking at blueprints for real homes, and some of my own ideas my builds aren't perfect but they are way better than they were and actually look like homes now.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I'm probably not going to tell you anything that hasn't been mentioned before, but anyway.

It's all about practice - and experimenting.
    The build tools in TS4 have their own peculiarities, you'll have to learn how to deal with them and how to work around the limitations.

Doing challenges does help. And also asking others for advice on a specific build - there's a special thread for that, the WIP thread, where people post the builds they're working on and ask what they should do next or if they should choose option A or B, etc.

I do have a few building tutorials I wrote myself, you can find them here: https://mdianasanders.tumblr.com/tagged/buildingguide

To answer your question, I'm not sure if I'm an "amazing" builder, but I'm not bad at it. I'm not an architect or interior designer, I do draw and paint though. I did once, briefly, have a job that did involve measuring blueprints, so I know how to read those - and they never translate to Sims proportions, also something you have to learn to deal with if you use them ;)
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    orangeplumboborangeplumbob Posts: 1,102 Member
    @MDianaSanders I am in love with your tutorials. Just took a look through them, and wow. I really love the gardening post and the waterfalls. I'm not great when it comes to gardening, but it's what I am currently working on skill wise. So that post is going to be the most helpful for me in my future builds (along with my Vanilla save).
  • Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    edited June 2017
    My first 3 builds were ridiculous, but I managed to play them for the very long time. Then I discovered speed builds on youtube. Watched few videos and it gave me so many ideas. Since then I've build few successful lots. Some of them get little bit of attention on the gallery, some of them not. I build for my sims. Building is very time consuming, but when I get inspired nothing can stop me. I'm planning to start another build for my sims family, because I can't stand the layout of their current house ( from the gallery).