Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Prediction Time] How many EPs will TS4 have at the end of its life span?

12346...Next

Comments

• Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Like when someone targets a demographic, they target that demographic. Someone making a kids game doesnt listen to adults who happen to play it and make tweaks based on what they would enjoy. They keep it to what their target demographic would enjoy. And the makers of Grand Theft Auto arent tweaking it so that kids can enjoy it either. Its called a target demographic for a reason. This game has no target. It is quite clearly made so that anyone with the ability to operate a computer will find something to enjoy. From the architecture designer to the one who just wants a digital doll house.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Why is it so hard to believe they dont have a target demographic outside of anyone with the ability to point and click? They sure spend an awful lot of time pleasing adults for people gearing their stuff toward a particular market. If it were targeted toward them specifically it sounds to me like they wouldnt be constantly having problems with crossing ratings lines. We would probably still be seeing them reproducing by making out lmao
    Like what teen honestly get excited over laundry of all things? I remember being a teen and i was more about escapism not realism and so were most of my friends. Thats why games like Call of Duty (which DOES specifically target them) do so well.
    To a certain degree you are of course right because what I just wrote above ignored a huge number of details. But this was necessary in an attempt to extract the main reasons why people buy and play Sims games and why EA makes them as they are.

Anyway EA doesn't make games completely at random but to earn as much money as possible. This means that EA has to make games that attract as many gamers as possible and to stop making games that doesn't sell well enough to really make a profit at all.

I attempted to describe the main line Sims games which are PC games with a huge number of expansions. Those Sims games have been much more successful than EA's different attempts to make other types of Sims games and I believe that it mainly is because they have been able to attract so many young teens who play them for 2 to 3 years until they feel too old to just simulate romance in such a game. That a minority of adults play the games too because they mainly like to use the game to simulate things like raising a family or even infidelity and/or dreams about a life as homeless singles increases the sales numbers. But I still believe that it mainly have been the youngest teens two have made the sales numbers become so extremely high.

But then let us look at EA's many attempts to use the Sims concept to make sidegames and Sims games for other platforms too:

For kids EA attempted to make the MySims games. It was a decent attempt. But anyway: It wasn't successful enough for EA to continue this line.

Then there were the Sims games for consoles. Consoles have especially been popular among 16 to 24 yrs olds. So if if they were the target group then making mainly Sims games for consoles could seem as a good idea. But those games failed so much that EA now doesn't have a single Sims game for consoles. I believe that the failure was caused by 16 to 24 yrs olds being the hardest group to reach because they feel too old to play even the big Sims games on PC anymore and they usually prefer a more challenging life instead of raising families. Therefore Sims games just don't appeal much to 16 to 24 yrs olds.

EA has also made diffferent sidegames to the Sims series on PC. But the main idea seem to have been to just make smaller PC games for people who maybe thought that the mainline Sims games were too big and had too many expansions. Those sidegames have therefore never been nearly as popular as the mainline games.

But then there are the mobile versions of the Sims games. Earlier EA made them as smaller standalone offline games. But without much success. So just like the Sims games for consoles those games aren't made anymore. Instead EA now has the Sims Freeplay which has been so successful that EA now even attempts to make one more Sims game for mobile devices called the Sims Mobile. Why are those Sims games (especially the Sims Freeplay) so successful? We have to look more broadly if we want to understand it. But freemium games more and more dominate the market for mobile games and the Sims Freeplay has been downloaded more than 200 million times. The gamers playing such games play them everywhere. Even in busses, cars or trains because they always have their preferred mobile device with them. They play them many times a day - but mostly in short intervals. So they like the fact that the games are free and in real time. They can try as many free games as they want and only play the best of them. But for the Sims games I still believe that the new Sims Mobile will have a hard time to become nearly as popular as the Sims Freeplay though.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    1 EP = 2 GPs. Basically nothing has changed in this regard. The store became obsolete so we got SPs instead etc. . I am sorry @Erpe but I have no idea what you are talking about. I simply disagree with you that 1) (Young) Teens in General own the same amount of packs like YA+, 2) that EA focuses on (Young) Teens when Advertising their packs or bg (a YA+ Focus has also Teens in mind) and 3) the game is mainly played by (Young) Teens since I am almost 100% that the average simmer is at least 23~ years old.

2 GP's is not egal to 1 EP.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    The main ones I can think of are pets, seasons and uni.
    And which one would you prefer if EA maybe only make one (or two) of them because SPs sell better?
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    The main ones I can think of are pets, seasons and uni.
    And which one would you prefer if EA maybe only make one (or two) of them because SPs sell better?

All 3 I mean I like the SPs and the GPs but I also want the main EPs especially since I'm curious to see how they would affect the game for example Pets how would the pets act this time around will they also have emotions how will those emotions be will a happy dog be more friendly while an angry would just attack a Sim. Seasons will we have the regular seasons like we've been or actual weather reports like Storm watch a snowstorm is forming be advised, a blizzard is forming stay in doors and keep warm. Or a severe thunderstorm is approaching stay in doors and than blackouts. Uni. I hope it will be more of like Sims 3 where everyone can go not just YA also have a class online like an online college especially the programming skill.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I don't care as long I get: Seasons, Pets, Generations (or something else family-oriented), Island Paradise pack with mermaids, and some kind of pack with fairies.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)