Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Player-assigned tasks need more weight than Sim assigned-tasks.

In Sims 1, Sims 2 and Sims 3 - without exception - the player-assigned tasks always have priority over Sim-assigned tasks, with very few and often sensible exceptions. (example, a sim can cancel your order to read a book if his bladder is critical and he wants to pee) If a sim desires to read the newspaper and I desire that they shower, my command always takes precedence over their autonomous desire. If they're in the process of reading the newspaper on their own accord and I command them to shower, they immediately cancel their wish to go shower. And if I assign them to watch TV and then they queue an action to play arcade games themselves, they will not go play arcade games until I cancel their TV action I assigned or something else causes them to cancel it (Fun maxes out, TV breaks, another motive gets critically low, etc)

This system is not a thing in Sims 4, or at the very least rather poorly done. Sims are constantly capable of cancelling player-assigned tasks to pursue their own, and sometimes player-assigned tasks do not cancel sim-assigned ones. The most common example I have lately is that if I assign a Sim to read a book and they sit at a sofa near a TV, they will queue up a wish to watch TV every ~30 minutes, and this wish can cancel the desire to read a book. This is idiotic, because if the book provides fun then there's no purpose to them switching, and if the book is for learning a skill, then obviously it's not nice when they decide to do something else entirely. Sims will even do this if their fun meter is full and there should be zero reason for them to desire to watch TV. The result is a rather aggrivating and infuriating session of gameplay where the player must needlessly micromanage and babysit their sim just to ensure they complete a very basic task, constantly clicking to cancel out their bombardment of nonstop wishes to watch TV. Certain objects or scenarios are more notorious for causing this problem than others, and famously we've had a revolving door effect where one patch sets one object's desirability too high (BETween TV, woodworking table), and then another patch simply moves the desirability onto another that causes the exact same problems.

Another common offender is basic social interactions. Sims in this game obsessively seek out social interactions, sometimes to the point they abandon their home and walk out on the street. This too is a problem because it may cancel your assigned tasks, OR the Sim may go socialize alongside your assigned task since the two can be done side-by-side. The problem is Sims socialize so obsessively that even if though it's done side-by-side, it's very likely the two Sims would re-queue up new social interactions so frequently that your assigned task takes hours to complete. If you seek to cancel such social interactions, then once again you must babysit your Sims and micromanage them.

This is possibly one of the most basic features of any Sims game, existing in every previous title and always an important feature to ensure the player is not frustrated with Sim AI ruining their orders. Yet for whatever reason, it does not exist in Sims 4. This is absolutely absurd, perplexing, and I cannot figure out why this isn't a thing after 2 and a half years. My best guess is this is a result of Sims 4 prioritizing showing off the new multitasking system over old basic systems. AI and weight of actions seriously needs to be tweaked. For those that would respond "just turn off autonomy," that's not exactly a fix. That's basically suggesting Sims 4 shouldn't have autonomy, which is just as absurd since once again autonomy has existed since Sims 1.

Wanted to bring this up because this is absolutely something I see people complain about in various different forms (such as the woodworking table, BeTween TV, I believe the City Living basketball goal was named as one, and a couple others), but I've not seen this issue called out for the general problem it is: our assigned tasks need to hold priority over the sim-assigned ones, or this issue will constantly re-emerge, just via different objects and methods.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?"

Comments

• Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited June 2017
    I think the "read" queue should be destroyed after I command to do something else afterwards, If the fun need isn't critical (red or yellow). Of course, unless their priotize-physical motives (which are hunger, bladder, shower and energy) are critical - reading a newspaper should cancel out automaticly regardless on how low and high the fun meter is.

Agree on the 2nd paragraph.

I agree. Sims shouldn't even anknowledge and be aware that there are sims out there outside while themselves are inside their house, unless the sim can see them through logical means (through a window, arch or straight through a no-wall-obscured area).

Turning off automy is a workaround, not a solution. The Problem still remains that sims don't know how to behave, and the "smarter sims" slogan is absolutely false due to the flaws address by OP.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    edited June 2017
    @DeservedCriticism there is nothing wrong with how the sims4 is i much prefer the way it is now than in the pass games and let me remind you that the sims4 is not poorly done it is very well done, you also need to realise no players plays the same all i see is great advantage on how the sims4 is made i do not order my sims around and when it comes to sim chosing what they do there is nothing wrong if the sim decide to do something the sim decide so if the sim decide to watch tv with out the player asking or to cook there is nothing wrong with the multi task system . You need to question yourself as to why you purchuse the sims4 then me when i purchuse the sims4 its because i like the fact that its diffrent than the pass version and i have played since sims1and if sims wents to sociolize while doing there task there is nothing wrong with this. If you did not like the sims4 from day 1 then you need to question yourself as to why you bough it in the first place no players plays the same. In my case i chose to play with aging fully off but thats my own choice, and when you played sims4 for a while or many hours the sims4 is actualy fun to play more fun than sims3 or sims2 since its diffrent. So i fully disagree with your post.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Yeah multitasking feels like a positive and a negative in this game.

I like the fact Sims can eat and drink at the same time but chasing Sims down the street to talk to them while they have their meal is a bit ridiculous. Who does that? The Sims constantly staring at artwork while they eat in turn making the eating process take long than necessary and I am not even going to get into the musical chairs around the table to converse.

On flip side regarding socializing, I am not sure if they changing the socializing while dining out or not but now the Sims are doing everything but socializing. Sims are getting up from the dine out table to order drinks, watch tv, playing on their phones, randomly singing(literally trying to avoid any Sims learning the singing skill), etc. My Sim couple was sitting and having a meal and I had to keep forcing them to talk or the phones and singing would start. I looked over and say a Sims family out for dinner and they were all playing with their phones instead of talking like they used to. It is a nightmare. I actually have my Sims do family dinner on Sundays. All of the extended family gets together and dine out to socialize to keep their relationships high because who wants to reintroduce family members to sims(another issue).

As for book reading, I have been running into the same issue. I was trying to get my Sims to read the vampire books and they kept putting it down to watch TV. I had to click on read the book and tell them to sit in a chair not near a television. I have so many no autonomy mods trying to control these sims and still having issues..lol

@DeservedCriticism Your feedback is valid and I have seen all these issues in game as I stated above. I have been learning to live with it sadly because I feel like multitasking is broken on many levels and it is at the core of the game so I am not sure what the devs can do about it.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @DeservedCriticism there is nothing wrong with how the sims4 is i much prefer the way it is now than in the pass games and let me remind you that the sims4 is not poorly done it is very well done, you also need to realise no players plays the same all i see is great advantage on how the sims4 is made i do not order my sims around and when it comes to sim chosing what they do there is nothing wrong if the sim decide to do something the sim decide so if the sim decide to watch tv with out the player asking or to cook there is nothing wrong with the multi task system .

there is something wrong with how the sims 4 is I don't much prefer the way it is now unlike in the pass games and let me remind you that the sims 4 is poorly done (is or isn't - *all of it is subjective opinion*), you also need to realise no players play the same all I see isn't an great advantage on how the sims4.....
    You need to question yourself as to why you purchuse the sims4 then me when i purchuse the sims4 its because i like the fact that its diffrent than the pass version and i have played since sims1and if sims wents to sociolize while doing there task there is nothing wrong with this. If you did not like the sims4 from day 1 then you need to question yourself as to why you bough it in the first place no players plays the same. In my case i chose to play with aging fully off but thats my own choice, and when you played sims4 for a while or many hours the sims4 is actualy fun to play more fun than sims3 or sims2 since its diffrent. So i fully disagree with your post.

And it would be fair for you question why you feel the need to be on low esteem from someone's critizing critism over one/few minor flawed aspects the person see in the game. Question yourself: why do you dismiss someone's complaint when you yourself enjoying the game and therefor purchased it for what you like about it. If you did not like this constructive feedback from a fan, than you need to question yourself why are you continue on reading this If the rant is rubbing on your skin?

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    @DeservedCriticism there is nothing wrong with how the sims4 is i much prefer the way it is now than in the pass games and let me remind you that the sims4 is not poorly done it is very well done, you also need to realise no players plays the same all i see is great advantage on how the sims4 is made i do not order my sims around and when it comes to sim chosing what they do there is nothing wrong if the sim decide to do something the sim decide so if the sim decide to watch tv with out the player asking or to cook there is nothing wrong with the multi task system .

there is something wrong with how the sims 4 is I don't much prefer the way it is now unlike in the pass games and let me remind you that the sims 4 is poorly done (is or isn't - *all of it is subjective opinion*), you also need to realise no players play the same all I see isn't an great advantage on how the sims4.....
    You need to question yourself as to why you purchuse the sims4 then me when i purchuse the sims4 its because i like the fact that its diffrent than the pass version and i have played since sims1and if sims wents to sociolize while doing there task there is nothing wrong with this. If you did not like the sims4 from day 1 then you need to question yourself as to why you bough it in the first place no players plays the same. In my case i chose to play with aging fully off but thats my own choice, and when you played sims4 for a while or many hours the sims4 is actualy fun to play more fun than sims3 or sims2 since its diffrent. So i fully disagree with your post.

And it would be fair for you question why you feel the need to be on low esteem from someone's critizing critism over one/few minor flawed aspects the person see in the game. Question yourself: why do you dismiss someone's complaint when you yourself enjoying the game and therefor purchased it for what you like about it. If you did not like this constructive feedback from a fan, than you need to question yourself why are you continue on reading this If the rant is rubbing on your skin?

for your info if someone only complaints about the gamer then maybe its time they retire from the sims game series and move on i prefer the sims4 the way it is now to each there taste and to me the sims4 is not poorly done to each there opinions then i am done so you can think what you and i will never agree with what is mention in this post because i do not have the same view on the game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited June 2017
    Ok so @DeservedCriticism we who like the game are suppose to agree with what you say about the game since you apparently don't like it. I get annoyed at your posts for one you have the notion that TS4 should be like TS3 and that is the appeal that its not. Two you keep saying all the packs are lackluster and I don't think they are and you are apparently expecting to much. The game has 3 teams SP teams like we had in TS3 EP teams like we had in TS3 but we have GP teams which we didn't have and maybe it replaces the store for all we know but so far every content in this game I have gotten and I have them all I have liked. I just want a full EP of places to vacation because Granite Falls right now is the only place they can vacation. The newest GP Parenthood added more then you think if you are a family player we have more discipline in the game then we had before. So as I end this I will say that in no way am I attacking you and you are free to post opinions and feedback but not everyone is going to blindly follow you and agree with you.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Ok so @DeservedCriticism we who like the game are suppose to agree with what you say about the game since you apparently don't like it. I get annoyed at your posts for one you have the notion that TS4 should be like TS3 and that is the appeal that its not. Two you keep saying all the packs are lackluster and I don't think they are and you are apparently expecting to much. The game has 3 teams SP teams like we had in TS3 EP teams like we had in TS3 but we have GP teams which we didn't have and maybe it replaces the store for all we know but so far every content in this game I have gotten and I have them all I have liked. I just want a full EP of places to vacation because Granite Falls right now is the only place they can vacation. The newest GP Parenthood added more then you think if you are a family player we have more discipline in the game then we had before. So as I end this I will say that in no way am I attacking you and you are free to post opinions and feedback but not everyone is going to blindly follow you and agree with you.

@pepperjax1230 Again, where the HECK is all of this coming from?

Why is it so hard to just focus on the named issue instead of getting outrageously personal and picking fights over all kinds of stuff?
    I was and I don't agree with you I stated my reason in my last response. I am not the bad person in this I get bashed for stating my opinions so what the heck. I think people should read what they respond first and don't bash me for something they said.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited June 2017
    maybe it's just me but my sims always cancel their autonomous actions when I ask them to do something?
    there are definitely some bits about the autonomy that I still don't like, though, but that isn't really one of them.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Why is it so hard to just focus on the named issue instead of getting outrageously personal and picking fights over all kinds of stuff?
    I was and I don't agree with you I stated my reason in my last response.

Is everyone on this forum under the impression that if you say "I was focusing on it" then that magically makes it true!? No you weren't!! It's absolutely CRAZY how many people on this forum just respond with "no ur wrong" when called out on something.

You were all over the place, lashed out at me personally and AT NO POINT did you ever even touch on the topic of this post! Just because you say "yes I did" doesn't make it true.
    I don't think player assigned tasks need work because I don't play like you. I let my sims do what they want I don't control what they do unless its a baby or a toddler then I will tell them to take care of those things. But I don't play the way you do so I don't agree. I wasn't lashing out but I get the same lash out comments from others because I base my responses on what they say in a comment not anything else.

maybe it's just me but my sims always cancel their autonomous actions when I ask them to do something?
    there are definitely some bits about the autonomy that I still don't like, though, but that isn't really one of them.
    Also that to they just cancel what I ask them to do so I just let them choose what they want to do themselves.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

Is everyone on this forum under the impression that if you say "I was focusing on it" then that magically makes it true!? No you weren't!! It's absolutely CRAZY how many people on this forum just respond with "no ur wrong" when called out on something.

You were all over the place, lashed out at me personally and AT NO POINT did you ever even touch on the topic of this post! Just because you say "yes I did" doesn't make it true.
    I don't think player assigned tasks need work because I don't play like you. I let my sims do what they want I don't control what they do unless its a baby or a toddler then I will tell them to take care of those things. But I don't play the way you do so I don't agree. I wasn't lashing out but I get the same lash out comments from others because I base my responses on what they say in a comment not anything else.

Again, just because you say something doesn't make it true.

People like yourself seriously need to calm down. As I've said before, it's painfully obvious certain users take any criticism of Sims 4 personally. I'm seeing the results of that a lot lately, because the result is that people come into my threads and get personal while not even discussing the topic. Super annoying, and I'm very very sick of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Again, just because you say something doesn't make it true.

People like yourself seriously need to calm down. As I've said before, it's painfully obvious certain users take any criticism of Sims 4 personally. I'm seeing the results of that a lot lately, because the result is that people come into my threads and get personal while not even discussing the topic. Super annoying, and I'm very very sick of it.
    @DeservedCriticism I was on topic if you didn't notice you are picking apart my comment to see what you want. Again I don't play like you so player assigned tasks don't need work I let my sims do what they want. I will underline my on topic response.

Also that to they just cancel what I ask them to do so I just let them choose what they want to do themselves.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I also wish what I wanted the sim to do would take priority over what the game wants. This canceling out of what I want the sim to do, or moving it later in the queue does happen to me often enough to be frustrating at times. It doesn't infuriate me however...

I do kind of like the delay the sims have in responding to requests I make though. I play on the slowest speed normally so that I can watch and enjoy the game and although it's probably not programmed in to make it that way.. for me at least it makes me feel like they are lingering or even thumbing their nose at me as the player. (I think I may have watched one too many artificial intelligence becoming sentient type of shows.)

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @DeservedCriticism I was on topic if you didn't notice you are picking apart my comment to see what you want. Again I don't play like you so player assigned tasks don't need work I let my sims do what they want. I will underline my on topic response.

Yeah NOW, in your newest post, after I told you twice that you were off topic. Yknow, after the TWO initial posts of yours that were entirely off-topic.

I am seriously going to develop a plumming brain tumor from all this kind of nonsense. ZERO admittance to your mistake, but by God you're quick to accuse "you are picking apart my comment to see what you want" when you finally post a small snippet on topic.

I may seriously be having a chat with the mod team soon. I don't know how on earth I'm supposed to have any discussion here when I have to deal with something like this in every thread I make.
  • Options

Yeah NOW, in your newest post, after I told you twice that you were off topic. Yknow, after the TWO initial posts of yours that were entirely off-topic.

I am seriously going to develop a plumming brain tumor from all this kind of nonsense. ZERO admittance to your mistake, but by God you're quick to accuse "you are picking apart my comment to see what you want" when you finally post a small snippet on topic.

I may seriously be having a chat with the mod team soon. I don't know how on earth I'm supposed to have any discussion here when I have to deal with something like this in every thread I make.
    I was on topic the first time I responded to I was talking about the game and what some perceive it as. So sorry if you thought it was off topic but we are allowed to express our opinions and my opinion was getting to the point in not such a outright way to say that the game doesn't need changed player assigned task or other ways.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @DeservedCriticism your intitle to your own opinions on the game but i will say this when you make such post do not think that everyplayers think like you i sure do not not every player will agree with you since no one plays the same say your sim bladder is in the red its normal that they went to use the bathroom before doing something else

• Options
    @DeservedCriticism your intitle to your own opinions on the game but i will say this when you make such post do not think that everyplayers think like you i sure do not not every player will agree with you since no one plays the same say your sim bladder is in the red its normal that they went to use the bathroom before doing something else

Disagreeing is fine. Derailing or attacking me is not.

Also, that's not what I said. I said past games had things like a bladder in the red as one of the few exceptions that could allow a sim to cancel your actions. THIS game lets all kinds of stuff cancel your actions, including very mundane wishes such as a desire to watch TV. A wish the Sims will repeatedly spam and re-queue no matter how often you cancel it.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    *deleted*
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017

for your info if someone only complaints about the gamer then maybe its time they retire from the sims game series and move on i prefer the sims4 the way it is now to each there taste and to me the sims4 is not poorly done to each there opinions then i am done so you can think what you and i will never agree with what is mention in this post because i do not have the same view on the game

Or not retire but provide a FEEDBACK to the developers or game compay. It may help out meet magority of players standards and remedies the biggest pet-peeve problems.

Like imagine for a second in his situation. Let's say there was a (HYPOTHETICAL) scenario where you couldn't disable aging. You didn't even knew about that BEFORE you purchase the game, because devs didn't told you about (which is what they always don't address regarding flawed/lacking/missing features). Wouldn't you want to request the feature, regardless how you put it: negatively or positively. And how would you feel If you people suggestion "you should question yourself why you purchase this game?" ? Would feel guilty from the passive-blame somebody dropped on you? Just try to put yourself in the OP's shoes instead of suggesting such redudant response like that. Disagreeing is one thing, but putting a prejudgemental blame is another.

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Also, that's not what I said. I said past games had things like a bladder in the red as one of the few exceptions that could allow a sim to cancel your actions. THIS game lets all kinds of stuff cancel your actions, including very mundane wishes such as a desire to watch TV. A wish the Sims will repeatedly spam and re-queue no matter how often you cancel it.
    Who cares if the sims don't do as you ask its a game rather then get mad because they don't just chill and let them do what they want to do. This is about players choice here and we really don't have to control every little thing they do.

Or not retire but provide a FEEDBACK to the developers or game compay. It may help out meet magority of players standards and remedies the biggest pet-peeve problems.

Like imagine for a second in his situation. Let's say there was a (HYPOTHETICAL) scenario where you couldn't disable aging. You didn't even knew about that BEFORE you purchase the game, because devs didn't told you about (which is what they always don't address regarding flawed/lacking/missing features). Wouldn't you want to request the feature, regardless how you put it: negatively or positively. And how would you feel If you people suggestion "you should question yourself why you purchase this game?" ? Would feel guilty from the passive-blame somebody dropped on you? Just try to put yourself in the OP's shoes instead of suggesting such redudant response like that. Disagreeing is one thing, but putting a prejudgemental blame is another.
    Feedback is one thing but I am defending the game nothing needs to be done half of you who think something is wrong with it think it should be TS3 so go back and play the game you enjoy and quit trying to change the game to be like past games the appeal is that its not like past games. Sorry but really if you dislike the game don't buy the packs and don't play. Play the games you enjoy because TS4 is apparently not one of them

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options

Who cares if the sims don't do as you ask its a game rather then get mad because they don't just chill and let them do what they want to do. This is about players choice here and we really don't have to control every little thing they do.

If the game assigns me a task to "Read Vampire Lore Volume 1," how can you sit here and tell me it's outrageous that I want my sim to read the danged book and not try to put it down every 5 seconds to watch TV? Who are you to sit here and claim what's the "right" and "wrong" way to play, especially when the aspiration itself is evidence they at least partially had goal-orientated players in mind?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

If the game assigns me a task to "Read Vampire Lore Volume 1," how can you sit here and tell me it's outrageous that I want my sim to read the danged book and not try to put it down every 5 seconds to watch TV? Who are you to sit here and claim what's the "right" and "wrong" way to play, especially when the aspiration itself is evidence they at least partially had goal-orientated players in mind?
    I'm not telling you how to play and if you choose those aspiration and sims rather watch TV and not read then try again later. They aren't unreasonable and completely ignore what you say. I have spent 20 days of my sims life trying to complete their aspiration and forcing them to be on the computer programming but I let them at least do something they enjoy doing like listening to music. So I get it gets frustrating they don't listen but they are also sims so what are you expecting them to grow a brain? That isn't going to happen.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    kaleidoscopicdollkaleidoscopicdoll Posts: 38 Member
    My biggest problem with this is when my Sims ignore their children to do some random thing. I'll have a toddler with its hunger or energy in the red and I'm telling the parent to take the kid to bed or feed it, but they ignore their child to go get a glass of water or decide they need to make a wall hanging on the woodworking table. Between the autonomy issue and the lag where sims stand there for ages before changing tasks, I'm kind of shocked my sims haven't had any children taken away yet. It is very, very frustrating.
    I don't know why but I find it very hard to make a sim finish a book, too. Often I'll queue the same "read book" interaction at least three times so if they cancel the action themselves they'll at least go back to it.

I love this game but sometimes I want to bang my head against a wall.