Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay experiment: Homeless toddler

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    edited July 2017
    Update for parenthood!

Short recap: The Baum couple raises an adopted toddler named Kyle after their biological son, Karl, was abducted at birth and later abandoned in the streets of San Myshuno. Karl is now fostered by the elderly bar singer Izumi Ikeda.

After they've made fools of themselves on autonomy, today I took control over Georg and Aerith Baum again. I figure Aerith is an anti-authorian mother while Georg is stern but fair. After playing the family for one sims day, I decided to have them visit Karl in San Myshuno.

- obsolete -
    Post edited by EnkiSchmidt on
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Great read!
  • Options
    SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    Wow! I'm so glad I found this. It's the first and only story I've gotten interested in reading. Thanks so much! Can't wait for more !
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Sometime after the visit, Georg Baum stood at Izumi's door early in the morning.

Biological parent stalking isn't fixed yet :(

- obsolete -
  • Options
    Oh my gosh! Cliffhanger :#
    I love it! Please don't leave me hanging on this cliff for too long!
  • Options
    Tomorrow :)

I cut the chapter in two because I need to get a little ahead of you all for the times I play other households. This is taken from my rotational save and Karl's fate is just a small side arc in the overall story.
  • Options
    Tomorrow :)

I cut the chapter in two because I need to get a little ahead of you all for the times I play other households. This is taken from my rotational save and Karl's fate is just a small side arc in the overall story.

I'll be waiting. I bookmarked this thread so I won't miss out! Thanks again for taking the time to post this.
  • Options
    damagedlostbrokendamagedlostbroken Posts: 293 Member
    This was a very intriguing story, and I can't wait to see what happens to Karl next!! I've bookmarked as well. Awesome story writing!!
  • Options
    the1975the1975 Posts: 82 Member
    I read this as I was procrastinating and honestly, no regrets. This story is soo interesting to follow and I honestly can't wait for updates!

I also love how you have the towns organized and how you have sims placed in different classes. Have you posted anywhere about the specifics of the class system you have set up/rules? That'd be a fun read. :)
  • Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    I love this
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    the1975 wrote: »
    I also love how you have the towns organized and how you have sims placed in different classes. Have you posted anywhere about the specifics of the class system you have set up/rules? That'd be a fun read. :)

Yes it would. I also like how you have different clothing styles for each world. I would love for you to shes more light on this, one of these days B)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Oops posted double sorry
    Post edited by SparklePlumley on
  • Options
    PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    :) What a great story! <3
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • Options
    lmusiclmusic Posts: 288 Member
    Loving it!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    - obsolete -
  • Options

@SparklePlumley @the1975

My worldbuilding is scattered across my other story on this board and my tumblr, but I do not have actual rules, more like following my gut feeling.

The bottomline is that Sim Nation has no official social classes anymore, but everyone acts as if they still had. This gives me utmost freedom in my roleplaying, as I can enforce or downplay the underlying social structures depending on what kind of story I want to tell.

I put the rest of my ramblings under a spoiler:
    The simplest appliccation of my secret class system is to say "no, regardless of how rich you are, this item/venue/lot/marriage partner is out of reach for your rank".
    Also while the law states that you keep or merge your surnames after marriage, the erstwhile noble families (Landgraab, Goth, Villareal, Lobo, Diaggro, McNally) force theirs on the marriage partner. In pairings with drastically different standing, like rich enterpreteur Georg Baum and street musician Aerith Kyle, the "lower" ranking partner assumes the spouse's name, too. Yup, little Kyle Baum inherited his adoptive mother's maiden name so that it didn't get lost.

Per default Sim Nation is progressive and benevolent when it comes to gender idendity, species, lifestate, religion or women's rights, but they cannot shake off their biases when it comes to a person's percieved social rank and their relations to a clan (both blood and loyality based).
    As a result Alexander will get punished for his burglary, for even a noble isn't above the law, but chances are that his trial won't be fair. He might get an impartial judge or one who believes a noble should behave better than a commoner and thus pass a harsher sentence or one who thinks nobleborn teens have a right to act out and thus passes a lighter sentence. Whatever I feel like, in fact.
    Had Alexander damaged another noble, the other family might demand to get him handed over as their servant and everyone in the government would turn a blind eye.

Most of my Sim Nationers have a strong identity as members, retainers (usually armed/combat trained) or subjects of their aforementioned clans and the government abides by this. So when Wolfgang, a Goth by marriage and a former Villareal retainer on top, threatened Georg earlier in this thread, this was very serious.
    Max is messing with the system atm, having Jo Landgraab, Alexander Goth and Mia McNally in his junior Renegades club. He's expected to marry one of these three and ditch the other two, as not to make them "traitors", but he's Max Villareal, so I wouldn't count on that.

Another key element is the recent war between Earth and Sixam that earth won. Registered aliens face no insitutionalized prejudice, but unregistered ones are treated as war enemies and face court martial.

Sim Nation shares a border with Al Simhara that goes right through Oasis Springs. Sim Nation's side belongs to the state of New Maxisland. The Windenburgbay, which encompasses all the other ingame towns, is part of the state of Newstate. They have a grand-mayor (ranking above the town mayors but below Newstate's governor) that is re-elected every half a year real time. Voting is twofold, first the citizens vote for a party and then for a candidate from the winning party.
    The Grand-Mayor is always a playable sim and at the moment that's Diego Lobo. The grand-mayor has a say in what venues I can build and what they look like. I downloaded a cc robot for my prison and that's way too gross and militaristic for Diego's taste already, so no way he'll let me add anything else to that lot before I gave him something more artsy first.

Recently another form of "class" pride emerged: Each town developed it's own clothing style, so that I can see at first glance who lives where.

And that's everything already.

I'll open a new thread for my fashion guidelines, okay? I figure I cannot be the only one who implements their own fashion rules and it would be fun to gather them all in one place! Just need to compile and upload a few pictures first.
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    images broken?
  • Options
    xPaxion wrote: »
    images broken?

I can see them alright, but I've been told before that some readers have trouble getting the pictures displayed properly.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    xPaxion wrote: »
    images broken?

I can see them alright, but I've been told before that some readers have trouble getting the pictures displayed properly.

So, I refreshed the page and now the pictures won't work for me, either. I'll try to re-upload.

Edit: Just posted the same old links again from my draft and can see the pictures again. No idea what went wrong, probably the links were damaged, but the files themselves seem to be uncorrupted/intact. Can you see something now?
  • Options
    AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    This should get promoted
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • Options
    Now that's what I want to know. (Why Karl was abducted)
    Can't wait for your fashion thread. So far I only have San Myshuno sims in different fashion, by neighborhood. The neighborhoods already kinda go by class. So for me this was easy. Windenburg will be fairly easy too. The others though, are more difficult. At least for me. I'm sure you will give me some ideas and inspiration.
    Thanks again for such an interesting read.
  • Options
    The key to this question is: Why was Kyle given up for adoption at birth?
    I hope I can adress this during the story. At the moment I'm working on Karl's manners or rather the lack thereof. I want him to grow up with bad manners from his stree urchin days, but it's hard work. Any suggestion what I can make him do besides make messes, burp and fart?
  • Options
    At the moment I'm working on Karl's manners or rather the lack thereof. I want him to grow up with bad manners from his stree urchin days, but it's hard work. Any suggestion what I can make him do besides make messes, burp and fart?

Toddlers can take off their clothes in front of strangers as well the other things u mentioned. As far as I know that's all toddlers can do for the bad manners trait.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    A week passed.

- obsolete -
  • Options
    You're welcome. Lol I bet Karl will have fun with that. I know my toddler IRL does. Shes going through that stage and I can't keep a stitch on her.

Love the shot of Izumi and Karl 's potty time. It's and important part of potty training. Though no one ever want to admit it