Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Starter Home Stuff Pack Ideas After Losing Poll

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
Since Eco Friendly stuff won the poll it's been suggested by GuruGraham we continue our ideas about the others in Ideas.

I was looking forward to a pack which would bring back cheap, ratty, torn, stained furniture and accessories for poorer Sims. I remember when I got University Life in TS2, that pack's furniture (even medieval, too) was amazing.

Some people start out with used furniture, used appliances, refurbished appliances, used curtains, used old worn books or whatever. As they grow into adulthood and find their own way, they borrow, and barter their way to a better place and things.

Not only did I want this type of theme so I could play my rags to riches stories with more immersion, but when TS4 was first announced I thought, finally! it will matter to these Sims what type of environment and where they live. I couldn't have been more wrong. Seems older games have actual 'environmental scores' and that's a thing of the past.

Not every Sim should be depressed they don't own the most expensive or best thing, some people in real life don't put much stock in materialistic things and poorer people sometimes are even happier because they put value on their life by their loved ones and friends and not their stuff.

But we all know there are some of us (sometimes) who dream of something better, the grass is greener etc.

My ideas for this sort of stuff pack.

I would want to see these objects (furniture) lower comfort and happiness. Depending on the object whether they worked properly maybe more risk to how often they break, how often they stink, how often they become even dirtier.

When TS4 was announced I thought maybe furniture and houses would age/wear out overtime. Much like how those things in the CL TLC lot trait is handled, but more noticeable. Maybe some of those lot traits could be unlocked for all lots so players could experiment with those traits in houses and other buildings.

I would like Sims to have to paint their own walls, fix holes in the floors on their own. Maybe these things could accompany a skill level. Maybe a new career (visiting other homes to fix) as a carpenter, electrician/ all in all handyman. It might be fun the repair guy becomes an open career. Risk of bad things happening if not enough skill, would be welcomed.

Sims involved in their own projects, reupholstering their own couches/chairs. Painting and refurbishing their own dresser/buffet etc.

Trash to Treasure projects...for the Sims and not us. Bring an odd piece home, the Sim would have to read up on how to refurbish it, (horrible moodlet until they fix it) (unless put in a closet out of sight) then go buy the tools and paint/varnish to fix it etc.

This could introduce a home improvement hardware venue, where they can take classes, (open class where they practice on things to gain skills) then bring those skills home to repair their own ratty furniture and appliances.

Sometimes putting Sims thru the paces is more fun, than simply opening buy mode.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    Okto84Okto84 Posts: 198 Member
    I do use CC to make shabbier houses and community lots, so I'm not so much needing them added in game.

I'm curious about some ideas related to it though. Right now, I think the environment scores are out of balance. It takes very few decorative items to put them way up high. I'd like to see them lowered - but not just that, I'd like objects to have different environmental effects and sims respond differently to them, I suppose creating some kind of sense of taste. Maybe some items make the environment shabby, some homely, some both, and some making them the environment classy. We could have sims respond positively, negatively or indifferently to these scores based on traits.

I do want to be able to select more traits though, or this might not be so useful. I feel picking traits for these things would be of limited use when we're spending a whole trait on them and have other more influential ones on the list. Related, but a bit off topic is the vegetarian trait. It's cool, but really not a good use of a whole trait when we can't select that many.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Shabby furniture is a big deal to some of us and what it would mean to the materialistic Sim >:) or to those who are quite happy to not have the most expensive. I really enjoy the beat up/dirty stuff on the lots in CL which have the traits we can't use. I hope they open that up for all buildings.

ETA: What I don't want is Sims rolling over and over a whim for eco friendly stuff...especially for those who wouldn't even care depending on their traits. if not eco friendly Sim don't roll it, please. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    @SimGuruDrake, move this to simgurugraham corner.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @SimGuruDrake, move this to simgurugraham corner.

We were asked to move discussion of things other than the Eco theme pack to Ideas Corner.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Maybe some of those lot traits could be unlocked for all lots so players could experiment with those traits in houses and other buildings.

It might be fun the repair guy becomes an open career. Risk of bad things happening if not enough skill, would be welcomed.

Sims involved in their own projects, reupholstering their own couches/chairs. Painting and refurbishing their own dresser/buffet etc.

Trash to Treasure projects...for the Sims and not us. Bring an odd piece home, the Sim would have to read up on how to refurbish it, (horrible moodlet until they fix it) (unless put in a closet out of sight) then go buy the tools and paint/varnish to fix it etc.

This could introduce a home improvement hardware venue, where they can take classes, (open class where they practice on things to gain skills) then bring those skills home to repair their own ratty furniture and appliances.

Love those ideas, especially the one I made bold.
    I didn't see a lot of suggestions for starter homes so I'm all for making a wish thread. I usually play my Sims from rags to riches too and I think we've got a fair amount in the game now that works. ( the counters in CL, chipped dresser, wall deco from Vampires )
    Starter home could take two different directions, one being more towards farming and one being more "first apartment". IKEA type furniture could definitely fit the latter one.
    When it comes to objects I would love to get
    a cupboard type fridge
    an iron bed frame
    rag rugs

We can always wish, right?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @mannanna Yes, I keep dreaming. I was hoping someday the game would age like the Sims do. Over time things age in their homes and even their homes, but that might be too much for a stuff pack. :)
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2017
    Okto84 wrote: »
    I do use CC to make shabbier houses and community lots, so I'm not so much needing them added in game.

I'm curious about some ideas related to it though. Right now, I think the environment scores are out of balance. It takes very few decorative items to put them way up high. I'd like to see them lowered - but not just that, I'd like objects to have different environmental effects and sims respond differently to them, I suppose creating some kind of sense of taste. Maybe some items make the environment shabby, some homely, some both, and some making them the environment classy. We could have sims respond positively, negatively or indifferently to these scores based on traits.

I do want to be able to select more traits though, or this might not be so useful. I feel picking traits for these things would be of limited use when we're spending a whole trait on them and have other more influential ones on the list. Related, but a bit off topic is the vegetarian trait. It's cool, but really not a good use of a whole trait when we can't select that many.

What you are describing, would literally be so great. I would looooooove if sims could walk into a building and get a buff like "ooh fancy, " "so comfy," "so modern," "I'm afraid I might catch bubanic plague" etc. Sims just becoming happy when I put two plants in a room, really gets on my nerves.
    Of course, all sims shouldn't be blown away by decor because that will once again cause the happy plant scenario. These reactions shouldn't be according to traits, but likes and dislikes. In TS3, we could choose our sims' favourite food, music, colour etc. I think this should be added to TS4 and expanded upon to actually affect our sims in their everyday life. If a sim likes rain, they'll be happy when it rains (Seasons). If they like pink, they'll be pleased when in a room full of pink stuff and have a special interaction to "complement on choice of colour scheme" etc, as well as complement a sim if they are wearing their favourite colour. It doesn't have to be complicated at all, it's just a small touch that really makes a difference :)

As for the OP, I really like your ideas. It would be great to add a bit of a challenge to TS4, as our sims generally have it very easy. Negative things like a sofa having fleas, a mat being stained and having an odour etc. would make for great stories. Once again, gift giving would be great to add, since sims can then pass on a hand-me-down to another unfortunate soul and maybe sims can have a chance of recieving a ratty piece of furniture in the mail upon moving, as a house-warming present and to help them out.
    The houses don't have to detoriate and sink into the ground with age, but the house should get a bit dirty every now and again out of its own, like the shower having to be cleaned or the counters being dusted. Sims barely have to clean at all, and this would give some more purpose to maids and sims with the trait "loves to clean." Slobs could also then excell in the dirt that slowly accumilates over the sim weeks as they never lift a finger to clean. Maybe the return of death by flies? :naughty: