Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Storyline VS Freeplay

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don't really play to fulfill any kind of story, but I usually have a background story in my mind when I create a household or start a new relationship or something like that.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2017
    A combination. I have general overarching storyline, but I also look at whims and see how things play out and things can change.

Don't mean to hijack but I think it ties into this thread - I saw on another thread how a player didn't like randomness in their game (e.g. vampire biting) because it messed up their story.

The biggest thing I want in the game is more randomness. Do you want more or fewer random events in your game, or do you think it's perfect the way it is now?
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    A combination. I have general overarching storyline, but I also look at whims and see how things play out and things can change.

Don't mean to hijack but I think it ties into this thread - I saw on another thread how a player didn't like randomness in their game (e.g. vampire biting) because it messed up their story.

The biggest thing I want in the game is more randomness. Do you want more or fewer random events in your game, or do you think it's perfect the way it is now?

I don't think you're hijacking at all! It makes me happy when people add to threads I start as it grows.

To answer your question(s), even as a storyline player I would love more randomness. I take inspiration from the sims and game events for the stories I tell, so more random events would just be even more story fodder for me.

I have yet to use mods with this generation of the game (just loads of CC), so I do a lot of experimenting to try to trigger random events and encounters in game. A lot of what does occur randomly in the game right now requires a bit of imagination. I'd love to see the burglar NPC make a return, and similar types of NPC sims. I feel like such characters, and the events that go with them, contribute to making the world feel more alive.
  • Options
    AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    Both.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    mmt3363 wrote: »
    I'm curious what sort of play style other simmers enjoy. Do you follow a storyline or do you just sort of freeplay and make it up as you go along?

I'm more of a storyline player. I enjoy planning out things like who marries who, who they date along the way, how many kids they have, if and when they marry, and so on. Some things I leave up to chance, but I always have certain sims in mind for specific stories I want to tell and how I want their life to play out. Sometimes I feel a little weird about it because I literally have notebooks filled with "town planning" so to speak.

Anyway, what's the run down in your game? How do you rule the world?

I typically have a general outlime or goal I want to accomplish, but for the most part I let the scenarios unfold organically.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    A mixture of playstyles depending on my whim. My favourite sim has her own story and I stick to it. Then I might play a single sim and see where my mood takes me. I will not allow the game to dictate terms. So it doesn't matter how often the game wants the sim to play a violin or busk in the park if i want the sim to work on his painting skill he does. Most of all if I fancy a quiet spell I find a quiet corner of Newcrest and I build.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    ArtsyBananaArtsyBanana Posts: 339 Member
    Both always, and it depends on what I'm trying to do at the moment.

For example I'm doing a legacy play-through right now, so off course as much as possible I have a story line in mind, but I don't let it stop me from unexpected things to happen, or change the story entirely when something comes up and changes the storyline (like unexpected deaths, Having TWINS :D , or children being a gender that I did not plan to have as an heir).

In between while no actual story is happening much, such as just leveling up careers and skills and whatnot, freeplay still happens in between times of where storylines will be made.

well that's how I play, but we all have our own playstyle balance ;)
    See what's up in my gallery: Origin ID: ArtsyBanana
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)
    https://imgur.com/L3Q6aQZ

• Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    It's my own personal soap opera. Who's cheaten who, who's being true, who don't even care anymore.

It makes you wonder who's doing right with someone tonight and who's car is parked next door! LOL

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    my own story is a sopa opera plus it makes one think of racial and social injustices in today's world
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Intentionally, I'm just maxing out as much of the skills and aspirations as I can for my main Sim. She also seduced every female Sim she comes across, just for fun, lol. Stories tend to come out of that indirectly. So a mix of both, I guess. But I don't play with any particular story in mind.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    Both, I will have a loose story in mind that I am playing to but I may let sims whims and random happenings in the game influence that story now and again.
  • Options
    ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    edited March 2017
    I've got a sweet little 'sub-plot' going on at the moment.

I decided to have an asylum type game. Seven Sims with the Insane trait and one Non-insane Sim to look after things should the others need a bit of help.

The Seven had a mix of other traits I don't usually use or they were the tortured artist type.

The plan was to play the one 'caretaker' Sim and leave the others to see how they got on.

I discovered that they had no trouble ferreting out food but needed a bit of help by being reminded to pee.

So straight off I got more involved than I meant to. I also found that Sims with the Insane trait can manage by themselves as well (or not) as any other Sims. So, all in all, a bit disappointing as far as drama is concerned.

Except, one of the guys is Sim gold. He's a Knowledge Sim with the Creative and Geek traits. He's always waving his arms around and talking to himself or the furniture, presumably using the Creative trait to make up good stories :)

He's a bit carelessly dressed but really nice looking. And he showed a bit of an interest in the caretaker Sim very early on. He wanted to cloudgaze with her but I was too busy organising everything to arrange that. Often he wanted to chat to her but I'd have them both busy doing other things.

Then one day they found themselves alone together and they just hugged before going about their business. It was as if she'd known all along.

I made sure to let them cloud gaze together earlier today :)

But, for the purposes of the storyline he'll always be too fragile to be let out to live independently. She'll stay put because it's the only life they can have together. His bed is in the same dormitory as hers, they form a T shape (sort of). I didn't plan where he'd sleep either.

This part of the story is so appealing to me. So much of it was driven by the Sims themselves building on my loose little plan.
    Don't feed the trolls
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I do both, but I'm not as extravagantly into storytelling as other simmers are. I'm more into Freeplay, and let the stories unfold around me.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited March 2017
    As my oldest son would say, "A little of column A, a little of column B." For the most part I drive the story, but then sometimes the game itself add its own little twist. Something will occur that was completely unexpected. Sometimes, I roll with it, other times, not so much.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/