Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WIP - Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square

soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,262 Member
edited April 2017 in The Sims 3 Builders
Hello everyone, I finally got the incentive to start back on a pet project of mine to create Toronto landmarks which I had put on hold since creating my one (and only) Toronto Islands world which included my novice CN Tower. So I'm posting here in case you would like to come along on my journey to create Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square. I'll try to make the architecture as close enough as I can, however the interior will be modified for in-game Sims 3 playability. I'm not sure whether this will become a multi-function rabbit hole or some kind of park... will figure it out by the time I'm done, lol.

So without further ado, here's the progress I've made so far. Comments and suggestions are most welcome :smiley:

After figuring out the overall layout of the building, the CFE work on the centre dome and the flanking towers began. The dome gave me a lot of grief since it curves both upwards and downwards. In hindsight I should have approached it differently but it's good enough for my purposes so moving on.
Session1a_zpsg2z7krw9.jpg

The towers were a breeze in comparison with just a little tweaking needed. Switched building to Bridgeport to get more of a city feel and completed the sloping 2-storey ramp - another challenge which I may revisit later on. How I admire those masters of CFE with their perfect curves and mathematical calculations. Ah well, a little free-spirited imperfection is only human :wink:
Session%201b_zpsohyimf27.jpg

The next session was focused on the green roof garden which I think is a really cool feature of any building that incorporates this environmental benefit. Added in the second ramp and dropped in some placeholder windows while I looked for more reference photos online.
Session%202_zpsd6zmstmf.jpg

I was thinking to perhaps make this a performance park since this such a cool hangout in RL, however I'm thinking it would be neat for sims to get married at the city hall so I've got a few ideas going on. Added a subway stop for Sims playability, dropped in a few more objects to get a feel for space requirements then decided to call it another night.
Session%202b_zpsuzokl0m2.jpg

So at the next session I decided to rethink using the skating rink which I was considering switching out along with other seasonal activities. Instead I created a pond which (hopefully) will freeze in the winter for skating - more like the real thing. This time I was more careful with the terrain tool when making the arches so the CFE curves are gentler. Had to lose the big crowd area around the stage to make room and created a small shop to represent the skate rental building in RL. Sims will be able to purchase items from the savvy sellers shelves. Messed about using the ITF sculpture to make a ball (which I later deleted). Was trying to figure out if possible to replicate the 'eye' wall within the council chamber but that's a challenge for another day.

Session%203_zpsptc7xvfd.jpg

My piece de resistance IMHO is the Toronto sign which I had great fun creating... and now this is where I'm currently at. What do you think so far? Any thoughts on how this lot should function? :smiley:
Session%203b_zps8kc6cbbf.jpg
Post edited by soocoolsim on

Comments