Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Generic Lots are Still Ghost Towns

SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
edited March 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
This has been a problem since the base game came out, but...Well, it's about the Generic lot type. It's the lot type that allows for the most creative freedom with community lots, since there's no item requirement list so you can build what or however you want. Unfortunately, in game, even with mods to increase the amount of sims on a community lot...no one shows up. Not a single NPC or townie ever enters the building. I built a bathhouse using the Generic lot type and (in spite of having other things that would attract sims, like motion gaming rigs, chess tables, and snack machines) no one but my sim was in the building...for hours on end! Sims walk around all over outside, but no one comes in...ever.

This, of course, is a bad thing because only the specified types of community lots attract autonomous NPC sims. So, if the player wants to build a venue that's going to actually have people around, one that looks lively and busy, they need to follow one of the pre-determined templates or they get a deadzone (unless they can wrangle something together using the Get Together expansion...to just have a hope of getting people into one type of venue...See the problem?).

So, please, please, please, someone do something about this. I miss TS2's high degree of freedom with community lots and the Generic lot type is the only one that affords me that same kind of creative freedom...but then my creative, fun new lots are empty and desolate! And, sure, I could pick one of the templates, but sometimes what you really want to make for your sims doesn't follow the established templates and might even be cluttered or hampered by having to squeeze those items in just to get some NPC traffic there. The checklists are great for beginners, but for old hands like me, what we want for community lots is unhampered, unpenalized creative freedom.

(P.S.: Sorry if this came out kind of ranty. This issue just hit the "For crying out loud! Why haven't they fixed this yet?!" point for me, that's all.)
There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
5MNZlGQ.gif
When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I think that this is a shame as 'busier community lots' was one thing that was 'promised' to the players because 'community lots are so empty in TS3!' yet in TS3 I have seen busy community lots with my own eyes :open_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member
    Huh? I thought only the Sims 3 had 'horrible ghost towns.' Interesting.
  • Options
    jusMeh wrote: »

Yes it is interesting how everyone likes to point out how 'empty' TS3 lots are yet there is a lot of evidence around that TS3 lots can be very busy!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    HeidrHeidr Posts: 148 Member
    Ninoochat wrote: »
    I think that this is a shame as 'busier community lots' was one thing that was 'promised' to the players because 'community lots are so empty in TS3!' yet in TS3 I have seen busy community lots with my own eyes :open_mouth:

This is getting ridiculous guys. Don't you have better things to do than jump on ts4 threads to boast about ts3? You're completely off topic, not helping, even trying to start an argument. It's getting old, feels like 2010 all over again when ts2 people could not stop criticizing ts3.

On topic. I think generic lots were made so that you can pretend to own another lot for your family, like a personal museum or a secondary house (maybe a fancy vacation house on the island of Windenburg!), so that no one can intrude in your property. I like to use it on cemetery, those places aren't usually full of people.

You can create any type of lot and just hide the required items in a closed off basement, just pick any lot type close enough to what you're creating!

I thought I'm the only one who think Sims 3 fanatics are getting a little too annoying to deal with.

Then, to OP, are you sure? In my game, I always have problem with crowd. Even if it is a generic lot, I always seem to have people coming especially the clubbers.
  • Options

This is getting ridiculous guys. Don't you have better things to do than jump on ts4 threads to boast about ts3? You're completely off topic, not helping, even trying to start an argument. It's getting old, feels like 2010 all over again when ts2 people could not stop criticizing ts3.

On topic. I think generic lots were made so that you can pretend to own another lot for your family, like a personal museum or a secondary house (maybe a fancy vacation house on the island of Windenburg!), so that no one can intrude in your property. I like to use it on cemetery, those places aren't usually full of people.

You can create any type of lot and just hide the required items in a closed off basement, just pick any lot type close enough to what you're creating!

I am sorry but are we not allowed to give our feedback in a feedback thread?

Well, here is a picture of a busy community lot from TS3: :smile:

17218484_1896722467277103_8450878224184768901_o.jpg?oh=98d289170fd537589bdc23b1c4861f2a&oe=595FDBE4

17192009_1896805483935468_8274847794724086774_o.jpg?oh=a1f50046aa17192180e39655dd6f4020&oe=596FF417

17157587_1896805463935470_3258135629584658279_o.jpg?oh=4c3ced4c5797b1302e1bdeb47ce360f9&oe=59612C74
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I love your pics @king_of_simcity7

Anyhow on topic, I have noticed this in the sims 4. I've also noticed that my game always generates the same townies regardless of which city I'm playing in to frequent my lots including vampires appearing during the day :o . Hopefully it's addressed soon.
  • Options
    @MidnightAura Thanks for the feedback :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Gullveig wrote: »
    Then, to OP, are you sure? In my game, I always have problem with crowd. Even if it is a generic lot, I always seem to have people coming especially the clubbers.

Yep. I've played this lot multiple times and it's always empty, even though I'm using the MC Command Center mod to increase traffic on community lots. It works perfectly for parks, gyms, and most other public venues...but the Generic lot is emptier than an outdoor water park in the dead of winter. It's crazy!

The thing is, though, that I shouldn't have to settle for a pre-defined lot type and make a nook somewhere to squeeze in and hide the checklist items just to get people to show up. If a second home property is what they're aiming for, they should put in a "Purchase Alternate Home" option somewhere. To me, it seems like a total cop-out for these lots to be devoid of life for reasons of "random, undisturbed makebelieve". If Generic lots can't be improved to automatically attract more NPC's just by default, then they should change the lot type to "Quiet" and add an "Advanced Mode" community lot with no checklists that, no matter what you put there, will attract sims who will come and do things there.

Honestly, I really do miss how hassle-free TS2's community lots were. You just picked a lot size, plopped it down, chose "Community Lot", and no matter what you put there you would get sims coming in and using the facilities. No checklists, no deadzones, just sims showing up and doing stuff. That's really all I want--a checklist-free community lot type that will still be full of activity.

Like I said before, the checklists are great for beginners. They give novice players a framework to work off of to get the feel of how to make a community lot. However, for someone like me, who cut their teeth on the unbridled freedom of previous games in terms of what to put on community lots, it can just get grating to have to put up with that all the time and the lot checklists become almost chore-like to follow. In TS2, I can build a community lot that's nothing but 30 chess tables and chairs and sims will still come. TS4? It's follow the checklists or you get nada! *head-desk* :s
    5MNZlGQ.gif
  • Options
    lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    I thought that was kind of the point for generic lots...not a good point, but not an unattended thing to happen. Am I mistaken?
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Wouldn't a bathhouse fit pretty easily into a spa venue (assuming you have Spa Day)? That's what first came to my mind, anyway.

There's enough variety now in the venues available that I think you can fit most builds into one of them, with maybe only a couple listed items as extras you might not need. Just find the closest one, and go from there. It's not hard to hide away one or two things if you need to, or better yet, find creative ways to incorporate them.

I do wish the generic lots had more use, but if you have most of the packs, you have quite a few different lots to choose from these days.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Wouldn't a bathhouse fit pretty easily into a spa venue (assuming you have Spa Day)? That's what first came to my mind, anyway.

There's enough variety now in the venues available that I think you can fit most builds into one of them, with maybe only a couple listed items as extras you might not need. Just find the closest one, and go from there. It's not hard to hide away one or two things if you need to, or better yet, find creative ways to incorporate them.

I do wish the generic lots had more use, but if you have most of the packs, you have quite a few different lots to choose from these days.

Unfortunately, I don't have Spa Day (just the base, Outdoor Retreat, and Get to Work), and of the lot types I do have available, nothing really works as far as things that I could hide away that wouldn't cause problems or things that wouldn't mess up my theme if I tried to mash them in somewhere. Again, I wish that they at the very least had a sort of advanced community lot type with no checklists that attracts sims regardless of what you put there. Having to follow a checklist to get a community lot to actually have any life to it at all can just be a huge pain...-_-;
    5MNZlGQ.gif
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    This has been a problem since the base game came out, but...Well, it's about the Generic lot type. It's the lot type that allows for the most creative freedom with community lots, since there's no item requirement list so you can build what or however you want. Unfortunately, in game, even with mods to increase the amount of sims on a community lot...no one shows up. Not a single NPC or townie ever enters the building. I built a bathhouse using the Generic lot type and (in spite of having other things that would attract sims, like motion gaming rigs, chess tables, and snack machines) no one but my sim was in the building...for hours on end! Sims walk around all over outside, but no one comes in...ever.

This, of course, is a bad thing because only the specified types of community lots attract autonomous NPC sims. So, if the player wants to build a venue that's going to actually have people around, one that looks lively and busy, they need to follow one of the pre-determined templates or they get a deadzone (unless they can wrangle something together using the Get Together expansion...to just have a hope of getting people into one type of venue...See the problem?).

So, please, please, please, someone do something about this. I miss TS2's high degree of freedom with community lots and the Generic lot type is the only one that affords me that same kind of creative freedom...but then my creative, fun new lots are empty and desolate! And, sure, I could pick one of the templates, but sometimes what you really want to make for your sims doesn't follow the established templates and might even be cluttered or hampered by having to squeeze those items in just to get some NPC traffic there. The checklists are great for beginners, but for old hands like me, what we want for community lots is unhampered, unpenalized creative freedom.

(P.S.: Sorry if this came out kind of ranty. This issue just hit the "For crying out loud! Why haven't they fixed this yet?!" point for me, that's all.)

I've heard about this issue (haven't tried it myself yet)

And I do hope they find a fix for it
    There are a couple of venue types I'd like to be able to create but I've heard that this feature is broken.
  • Options
    HeidrHeidr Posts: 148 Member

Yep. I've played this lot multiple times and it's always empty, even though I'm using the MC Command Center mod to increase traffic on community lots. It works perfectly for parks, gyms, and most other public venues...but the Generic lot is emptier than an outdoor water park in the dead of winter. It's crazy!

The thing is, though, that I shouldn't have to settle for a pre-defined lot type and make a nook somewhere to squeeze in and hide the checklist items just to get people to show up. If a second home property is what they're aiming for, they should put in a "Purchase Alternate Home" option somewhere. To me, it seems like a total cop-out for these lots to be devoid of life for reasons of "random, undisturbed makebelieve". If Generic lots can't be improved to automatically attract more NPC's just by default, then they should change the lot type to "Quiet" and add an "Advanced Mode" community lot with no checklists that, no matter what you put there, will attract sims who will come and do things there.

Honestly, I really do miss how hassle-free TS2's community lots were. You just picked a lot size, plopped it down, chose "Community Lot", and no matter what you put there you would get sims coming in and using the facilities. No checklists, no deadzones, just sims showing up and doing stuff. That's really all I want--a checklist-free community lot type that will still be full of activity.

Like I said before, the checklists are great for beginners. They give novice players a framework to work off of to get the feel of how to make a community lot. However, for someone like me, who cut their teeth on the unbridled freedom of previous games in terms of what to put on community lots, it can just get grating to have to put up with that all the time and the lot checklists become almost chore-like to follow. In TS2, I can build a community lot that's nothing but 30 chess tables and chairs and sims will still come. TS4? It's follow the checklists or you get nada! *head-desk* :s

Well, you can try this. Add a few club that use the generic lot as gathering spot or attend the event which held in the specific generic lot. It might trigger the crowd boost.
  • Options

Well, you can try this. Add a few club that use the generic lot as gathering spot or attend the event which held in the specific generic lot. It might trigger the crowd boost.

I'll try that when I get Get Together, but for now that's not really an option for me (My leisure budget is totally cleaned out from the holidays still and my cash flow situation is...complicated).

But do you know the most frustrating thing in all this? The Generic lot type's tool tip description (when you hover over the option in the lot type drop-down menu) specifically says that visitors are allowed which, logically, should mean that NPC sims should be spawing in and using the facilities like any other community lot. So, this is a pretty clear indication that there's a glitch here...either that, or it's a poorly worded tool tip that's been causing players like me a whole lot of confusion and frustration for the past couple of years. Either way, workarounds notwithstanding, the dev team needs to do something about the situation with Generic lots. Fix the NPC spawning, change the tool tip description to better reflect what the purpose of the lot type is, add an advanced level community lot...something, because as things stand now it just feels like some sort of cruel bait-and-switch.
    5MNZlGQ.gif
  • Options
    SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member

Wow. Real mature, guys.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • Options
    tammer400tammer400 Posts: 647 Member
    I love your pics @king_of_simcity7

Anyhow on topic, I have noticed this in the sims 4. I've also noticed that my game always generates the same townies regardless of which city I'm playing in to frequent my lots including vampires appearing during the day :o . Hopefully it's addressed soon.

Ik i get the same sims alot in community lots so i hope they add varitey of sims that'll be there and two the vampire thing is one of my major feedback on anther post cause they are really dumb. I mean i had a vampire who died in the park cause he was out in daylight
  • Options
    Maho-GamerMaho-Gamer Posts: 94 Member
    I get the irritation. I can see why a person would want a "private" lot for purposes such as machinima and whatnot, but the generic lot's eternal emptiness is very frustrating. I feel annoyed when I've made a lot that doesn't fit any of the predetermined ones, and have no one else in the town interact with it.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I wonder if the intent for generic lots was so that people could have a place outside of their Sims home where they could have private weddings or birthday parties or what have you, without being interrupted by townies. But personally, I would prefer it to be a little more flexible, where we could have it act like a regular public lot. Are there any lot traits that could help with this? Maybe they could patch one in, or release on in the future.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I wonder if the intent for generic lots was so that people could have a place outside of their Sims home where they could have private weddings or birthday parties or what have you, without being interrupted by townies. But personally, I would prefer it to be a little more flexible, where we could have it act like a regular public lot. Are there any lot traits that could help with this? Maybe they could patch one in, or release on in the future.

If that was the case, the description wouldn't say "Visitors are allowed" though. Unless the German translation (where I took this from) is wrong and the English one actually says "Visitors are NOT allowed".
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »

If that was the case, the description wouldn't say "Visitors are allowed" though. Unless the German translation (where I took this from) is wrong and the English one actually says "Visitors are NOT allowed".

Nope, the English definitely says "Visitors are allowed". I've checked.
    5MNZlGQ.gif
  • Options
    SimFan298 wrote: »

Wow. Real mature, guys.

Sorry did I say something wrong?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    Just a reminder: if there are posters who have a history of disrupting threads via hijacking, derailing, baiting, gaslighting, etc, you can always put them on mute. Just click on the profile, look for the button marked "ignore." I know it feels good to stand up to them and everything but your words are not only falling on deaf ears, it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. They just see your words as an invitation to be even more disruptive.
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    OP: I agree with you about generic lots. I tried making my own cinema with Movie Hangout Stuff by building a generic community lot with snacks, a bar and fun activities. I ended up needing to label it a "lounge" in order to get people to show up. I haven't visited that lot lately but when I did, it was weird. Only a few elderly men showed up and were hanging around in a creepy way. I guess that's why I haven't gone there much.

I still have my small cemetary listed as a generic lot because I don't want to add bathrooms and a hotdog grill to a cemetary. Lol. Whenever I am in a neighboring lot and I click on a generic lot, the travel icon says something like, "Travel to the Isolated Venue." Erm, that kind of works for a cemetary but NOT for a movie theatre complex.

I agree with you that it limits flexibility.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.