Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Staying interested for many generations?

WestGhostWestGhost Posts: 138 Member
Hi Everyone,

I've been playing TS2 on and off since it was first released, but I have yet to get past generation four or five of a single family. I've never completed a legacy challenge with TS2, but have completed two legacy challenges with TS3, plus four or five generations after. Just wondering if any of you have ended up playing 10+ generations of one family in TS2, and if so, how did you keep yourself interested? Maybe there are some aspects to the game that I'm missing. (I have the Ultimate Collection on Origin.)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    Never, but that's because I've had to uninstall the game and factory reset the computer a few times.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I have only played one generation. I guess you could say I don't like the friends requirement for the jobs.
  • Options
    mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    SSDSSDSSD2 wrote: »
    Never, but that's because I've had to uninstall the game and factory reset the computer a few times.

Same here. It seems my games always fail once they get that interesting. I don't think I've ever been able to play 10 generations without having to reinstall.

<----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I cant play that long with any sims game. I usually play multiple families at a time, and ive never gone past 1st generation like ever lol
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    The longest I ever had was when the game was released, when it first came out I started a family and had them for 42 generations. How did I stay interested? I was really invested in the family, first time we could actually play from cradle to grave. I suppose the release of new content here and there didn't hurt either, there was always something new to try and do. I had that family from start until the computer I had the game on died, about a year after Sims 3 release. ( I was going back and forth between games) Yes I did cry when I lost them.. :'(
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    As already mentioned, give your sims some hardships if the game is too easy. Try something you have never tried before. Try mastering a hobby or collecting all vacation momentos. Try and get to the highest level of career. Do what th sims want to do, fulfill all their wishes or fears!

I am guilty of getting fed up of certain sims, I find once I get attached to them it's easier to carry on. If I get bored I try something new. I move my sims to a new home, give them a new hobby or career or send them to meet new people by sending them to a community lot I maybe don't use as much. I've recently got quite into building my own community lots to give my sims new places to go.
  • Options
    SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    The longest I ever had was when the game was released, when it first came out I started a family and had them for 42 generations. How did I stay interested? I was really invested in the family, first time we could actually play from cradle to grave. I suppose the release of new content here and there didn't hurt either, there was always something new to try and do. I had that family from start until the computer I had the game on died, about a year after Sims 3 release. ( I was going back and forth between games) Yes I did cry when I lost them.. :'(
    How'd you prevent them marrying back into the family? Unless that wasn't a concern?
  • Options
    I'm loving everyone's responses! :) Generation 3 heiress of my current legacy is now in college. I decided to have her get ALL of the scholarships (meaning I got her abducted by aliens, turned her and her parents into vampires, and then let her parents die of sunlight.) The family dog is holding down the fort until she finishes college. Having her single, orphaned, and undead certainly makes things more interesting. But I don't have much of a theme going, and the abundance of cash really makes things too easy.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)

I've finished several Legacy challenges and Many Apocalypse Challenges in TS2... And! I've also deleted many I've started so I've never finished more than I've started. XD

I think the ones I have finished are because I like my Sims. Some get boring... and I have to mix up the family some. Give them a little bit of a hardship. Or personality- like a garage band for some teens and they go off to Uni together. Or a Vampire that falls for a Zombie but they can't marry because he can't give her children (for the Legacy and that's from Candi's Uglacy XD ).

I just finished a Hopeless Apocalypse where no one can move in. It was hard at the beginning but get easier. It was only about 6 generations but it was fun because I had a name theme and I liked them. :)

So, give 'em a quirk and something to fight for or against (like all stories). :)

*I also find that sharing stories helps. :)

Man, does this bring back memories. I remember reading Candi's Uglacy and LOVING it!! I gave up on my own uglacy after about three or four generations. May I ask what your strategy is for Apocalypse challenges? I always wanted to try one but keeping track of the restrictions always seemed overwhelming to me.

This. Is. AMAZING. Did you rotate households a lot or just stick with one? Did you have a favorite sim/generation?
  • Options
    JanoJano Posts: 100 Member
    Sorry if this is not relevant to this thread but does the game get buggy after so many generations.
  • Options
    Jano wrote: »
    Sorry if this is not relevant to this thread but does the game get buggy after so many generations.

It's totally relevant! Yes, the longer you have been playing a family, especially if you stay on the same lot, the more glitches build up. This is actually a good question for @JULES1111 and @Rflong7 . Do you guys have any suggestions on dealing with that?
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    WestGhost wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of you have ended up playing 10+ generations of one family in TS2, and if so, how did you keep yourself interested?

Not me. I do the opposite: Less than four generations of 10+ families. It soon gets complicated when teenagers from different families are moved together at college. When six or eight playable sims from different families are moved into one dorm with half af them males and the other half females, they tend to make couples, meaning the next generation gets one parent from one family and the other parent from another family (unless it's an alien baby, of course).

After third or fourth generation I tend to either loose tracks of the neighborhood or run out of space.

• Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited March 2017
    SSDSSDSSD2 wrote: »
    How'd you prevent them marrying back into the family? Unless that wasn't a concern?

I never moved sims out. I kept every sim born in game in the house, until they died. So I had a house with aunts, uncles, cousins all living together. It was a balancing act deciding who was gonna marry and how many kids they would have. You have to make sure you have room to keep adding. Several offspring were from alien abduction, so no spouse needed to keep it going. :)

@WestGhost No I only played the single family. I never rotated lots. I would create sims in CAS and drop them in the neighborhood as needed, especially if I aged other sims up with mine. I had several favorite sims in that game. I don't think I had a specific favorite generation, I enjoyed each of them equally.

@Jano I didn't have many issues keeping it going. I moved in to new homes if it seemed to be getting a little buggy. I never waited for it to be a big issue. Didn't happen often though, I think it was only about 4 times I moved them in to a new house because of a issue. I moved them a few other times just for a change of scenery, or if I just needed a bigger house. :D I honestly did not have many issues at all with Sims 2. I guess I got lucky, I would remember reading patch notes to fix issues, and I was always confused because I never experienced any of the issues they said they fixed. :D
  • Options
    TheSimsFan96TheSimsFan96 Posts: 102 Member
    Hello, @WestGhost! It's a lot of fun to play long generation families! I remember the farthest I got was to generation 6 while playing the Landgraab family in Bluewater Village. Lots of fun! A glitch that I have seen to occur sometimes is with the tombstones (you'll have lots on your lot from past generations if you're going to be playing for a long time!) will either start a glitch where your sim will randomly jump at random objects, and perform object interactions in odd behaviors and positions, sometimes can even cause the tombstone to completely disappear causing even the sim to be erased! You can avoid this by either moving them to a community lot (if you have TS2: Nightlife) (Gothier Gardens in Downtown is a perfect graveyard, heck you can even create your own!) or you can download a mod such as "No unlink on delete" that has to do with tombstones being deleted or when disappearing and will avoid the sim's character data to stay intact. Happy Simming and have fun along the way! :)
  • Options
    TiaDogTiaDog Posts: 79 Member
    james64468 wrote: »
    I have only played one generation. I guess you could say I don't like the friends requirement for the jobs.
    There is a mod that removes the friend requirement for the jobs.
    Sims Games I like to play - Sims 2 / Sims Medieval / Sims 2 Pets ( Wii ) / MySims / MySims Kingdom ( Wii )
    i-like-to-be-alone-but-i-hate-being-lonely-quote-1.jpg
  • Options
    JemsnationJemsnation Posts: 3 New Member
    I apologise for hijacking this thread but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to start a new discussion. I haven't played the Sims 2 in a while and since the last time I played, Windows took it upon itself to upgrade to 10 from 7. I know this is a common problem, I'm seeing it come up a lot, but I can't find the solution. I have the original with seasons, apartment life and nightlife as well as the h&m and ikea stuff packs. If anyone can help or show me how to create a discussion, that would be great!
  • Options
    These problems?

Yes those problems. But reading all that was like trying to read French. I understand some of the words but it doesn't make sense to me. Am I better off uninstalling and starting from scratch?

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    These problems?

Yes those problems. But reading all that was like trying to read French. I understand some of the words but it doesn't make sense to me. Am I better off uninstalling and starting from scratch?

Probably not... What exactly are the problems you are having?
  • Options
    These problems?

Probably not... What exactly are the problems you are having?

Never mind! I think I've got it sorted. Just took a while for my brain to compute. doh!
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Jemsnation wrote: »

No. I had a fourth trouble when starting from scratch, which was solved after downloading the free version of Visual Studio. The issue was not being able to patch the base game. Luckily, the free version of Visual Studio was able to catch an interrupt and allow me to make the patching continue rather than break and uninstall the game. It's not good installing the base game from four disc and then University from two disc just do watch the installation go down the drain doing the last part of installing University.

Solving the graphic rules are more complicated and might involve modifying two files using Wordpad.
  • Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    james64468 wrote: »

I don't have an issue with fulfilling job requirements, but typically I've only ever played through one generation before moving on.

However, this last time I was playing, I got invested in two families and their kid/kids. The families live next door to each other. The daughter's family is very wealthy, and the son's family started out REALLY poor. I have the son and daughter going steady now, and I plan to have them get married and move in to her family's home after they finish college (of course, I have to have them start college first). Or rather, I made an "apartment" (I don't have the UC, but the lot is large enough that I created a separate place on the lot and have a fence between the two buildings). It started off as an outhouse for the family and eventually became a laboratory with a downstairs bathroom for the father because of his job, but I moved the lab inside and that's when I got the idea to turn it into an apartment for the upcoming newlyweds. Which means I'll probably have to have them actually get married on her family's lot if I want them to stay there after the honeymoon. I hadn't really thought that part out but I'm thinking that's going to be what I have to do). I plan to have their apartment be two rooms. The bedroom and maybe a bathroom upstairs, and the kitchen downstairs, and they're going to have to go outside from the kitchen to access the stairs to get to the bedroom. I'm toying with the idea of another outhouse. I want them to kind of struggle after they're first married and earn their house upgrades like her parents had to. Should be interesting. Especially if they start having kids before they're really financially ready to, lol.

So yeah, they will be the first families I ever go past the first born/generation on.

Incidentally, this is also the first time I've ever allowed a family member to die, let alone killed one off on purpose (the daughter's mother. I forced her to starve to death. Her grave is in the yard where the apartment is).
  • Options
    Wow, I'm really glad that this discussion has taken off. :) I love hearing everyone's sim stories.