Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Team, really? Bowling? ~_~

Comments

• Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited March 2017
    meeoun wrote: »
    Is this a joke? Are we really getting bowling for our next pack?

Who even plays bowling anymore?? I live downtown DC, and there's like one bowling alley connected to a movie theater AND it's either completely dead or full of old people.

Couldn't we have like...I don't know... another vacation destination? a sports pack?! Like soccer or football or even tennis? You know? A popular sport people actually play these days?
    :/

Well I live elsewhere and I gotta tell you, that it is completely opposite to what you're seeing. It isn't full of old people, but in between teens and adults. Also, family also gather there with their younger children and what not :smile: I know you're expectations didn't met unlike some who are waiting for this activity to return, but/so you shouldn't be so self-centered about it and tell us ("oh, bowling is plum because I'm subjective about it and it's a scarce sport where I live, dismissing the fact that people play TS4 around the world and have different cultural stuff going on").

Though, I can agree that they could have save this sport along with other ones in its theme Game Pack, or unless they're already have that planned on the list.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Who even plays bowling anymore?? I live downtown DC, and there's like one bowling alley connected to a movie theater AND it's either completely dead or full of old people.

Couldn't we have like...I don't know... another vacation destination? a sports pack?! Like soccer or football or even tennis? You know? A popular sport people actually play these days?

Well I live elsewhere and I gotta tell you, that it is completely opposite to what you're seeing. It isn't full of old people, but in between teens and adults. Also, family also gather there with their younger children and what not :smile: I know you're expectations didn't met unlike some who are waiting for this activity to return, but/so you shouldn't be so self-centered about it and tell us ("oh, bowling is plum because I'm subjective about it and it's a scarce sport where I live, dismissing the fact that people play TS4 around the world and have different cultural stuff going on").

Though, I can agree that they could have save this sport along with other ones in its theme Game Pack, or unless they're already have that planned on the list.

Too be honest I don't see what is so self centred about not wanting bowling in The Sims. She is only provided feedback and this is the feedback area. The feeling is that maybe more could be offered instead of just bowling which might come across as a bit more 'set dressing' while ideas for big EPs get side-lined.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I overexaggrated perhaps :) Though, bowling is still something cool to-do in my country.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, I overexaggrated perhaps :) Though, bowling is still something cool to-do in my country.

That's great there's some people that like it. And sure, we can use the "bowling is popular where I live" Trojan horse to counter my popularity argument. But STILL, out of all activities you could do, you would choose bowling? Yeah O-K.

Our sims in this iteration have very little to do as a "group" and it's bothersome that the team is wasting time making a rehashed feature of a sport that's "meh" here in the states. I mean, gee I don't see EA Sports coming out with any Bowling games.

Wth Sims Team? **
    Challenge this game's engine and your coding expertise to give us a sports activity that our sims as a group (not turn base) can do "together" that's new to the franchise. And relatively popular.
  • Options
    Agree
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Bowling will always find its way into the game. My only beef is that it's coming in the form of a stuff pack. Bowling warrants its own venue, and to date no SP has introduced a new venue type. This will probably be a stuff pack intended to have "basement" bowling alleys, or makeshift alleys at venues where they don't really make sense.

I don't plan on buying it. IMO this content could have, and would have made more sense in a "night out" venue game pack with different venues all holding unique purposes. Getting a bowling alley + some decor doesn't interest me on it's own.
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    They should give us something more fun to play with like seaside worlds or something seeing as the seaside is a fun place to go, as well as swimming the in sea (hint hint ;) ) or something as I need another world. And I know its sad but I find new worlds more fun than getting a bowling pack like theres 0 bowling alleys were I live, literally.
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    @Ciarassims A summer theme could be popular for the summer season but would the world be as elaborate as Isla Paradiso with the houseboats, diving and mermaids? I sadly fear not and I wonder if Sims could even swim in the water in TS4.

Only time will tell though
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @Ciarassims A summer theme could be popular for the summer season but would the world be as elaborate as Isla Paradiso with the houseboats, diving and mermaids? I sadly fear not and I wonder if Sims could even swim in the water in TS4.

Only time will tell though

We have already been told that it's possible to make bodies of swimmable water. I'd like that and bowling. But bowling can fit in a stuff pack - a new kind of terrain plus a whole swimming system plus a world* wouldn't. The two are far from mutually exclusive.

*We have also been told that while they could redo existing worlds' water, that is unlikely to happen - I suspect there's a desire to put that degree of development budget into more other new stuff, so that maybe whatever pack ocean swimming comes in would be more fully fleshed out.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    one of the gurus said they can swim in the sea but it will have to be in another world so its a win win for me really, sea swimming and another world :smirk:
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,097 Member
    Hopefully they'll throw in some pool tables for those that don't feel like bowling.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2017

That's great there's some people that like it. And sure, we can use the "bowling is popular where I live" Trojan horse to counter my popularity argument. But STILL, out of all activities you could do, you would choose bowling? Yeah O-K.

Our sims in this iteration have very little to do as a "group" and it's bothersome that the team is wasting time making a rehashed feature of a sport that's "meh" here in the states. I mean, gee I don't see EA Sports coming out with any Bowling games.

Wth Sims Team? **
    Challenge this game's engine and your coding expertise to give us a sports activity that our sims as a group (not turn base) can do "together" that's new to the franchise. And relatively popular.

Why is what's popular where you live more relevant than where others live? :confused: Also ... I could swear I've read almost the exact same sentences in your OP somewhere else before.

But, isn't bowling also on wii sports or something? Seems some people do like & play it?

I didn't wait for bowling per se either tbh, but I don't mind it being an SP. It's something we also used to do a lot where I lived before. And if well done, it can be fun in the sims. I don't get this "I don't want it, so it's a joke" attitude, that's also been displayed earlier about toddlers & vampires. Not everyone will like everything, but there should nonetheless be something for everyone .. no?
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Wth Sims Team? **

Why is what's popular where you live more relevant than where others live? :confused: Also ... I could swear I've read almost the exact same sentences in your OP somewhere else before.

But, isn't bowling also on wii sports or something? Seems some people do like & play it?

I didn't wait for bowling per se either tbh, but I don't mind it being an SP. It's something we also used to do a lot where I lived before. And if well done, it can be fun in the sims. I don't get this "I don't want it, so it's a joke" attitude, that's also been displayed earlier about toddlers & vampires. Not everyone will like everything, but there should nonetheless be something for everyone .. no?

I agree.
    I'm always puzzled by the idea that everything should be trendy and fashionable. As if everything "classical" should be shameful and banned, and that alone should make it less enjoyable. While we're at it, why not banning stuff that older generations like as it isn't super cool and trendy ?
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Tinabina74 wrote: »
    ok well what about making not just bowling like some sorta carnival so not just bowling? or amusement park play games and rides?

I've never heard of bowling as a carnival activity in the real world. I wouldn't want a carnival pack watered down with activities that aren't associated at all with carnivals. There's plenty of activities that actually happen at carnivals to fill at least a gamepack without needing to be watered down. I got tired of watered down packs in the past. Why was University watered down with relatively lame bowling? I'd rather have had more university (and better bowling, which at $10, not some $3 corner of an unrelated EP, I suspect this can be). Etc., etc. Stuffing items together doesn't make for better development. Look at how fully fleshed out Vampires are when they get a whole GP - $20 of development - to themselves instead of being a corner of an EP or stuffed in with 4 or 5 other supernaturals! Sure, we pay more, but we get more for that money.

The closest I can think of bowling as a "carnival activity" would be Skeeball machines, and bowling is totally different.

Bowling is an activity that can be done by all ages (except probably toddlers). Children can have birthday parties at the bowling center. Teens can hang out there after school or on a Saturday (especially if/when we get Seasons and the weather is a bit messy). Adults can have after work bowling get-togethers (I was in a work bowling league for a few years); it'll also be a good activity for Bro Sims. Even Elders can go for a match; I might even form a Elders bowling group once my Sims hit that age. And it will be a good family activity as well.

It's not like it's a GP or EP -- it's a stuff pack, but like Backyard Stuff adds activity to the game.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sports so far have always been about animations for this game (please correct me if I'm wrong; mind you, I am aware they can win or lose, but that seems to be rather random to me, not based on actual gameplay). I regret that. The great thing about sports is the competition element. If they add that aspect, any sport could be fun.

They could tie in the bowling skill with the general fitness skill (or Motor for children) similar to what they did with the water slide in Backyard Stuff; the higher the Fitness/Motor skill the more successful one is at bowling (and less chance of fails).
  • Options
    Bowling will always find its way into the game. My only beef is that it's coming in the form of a stuff pack. Bowling warrants its own venue, and to date no SP has introduced a new venue type. This will probably be a stuff pack intended to have "basement" bowling alleys, or makeshift alleys at venues where they don't really make sense.

I don't plan on buying it. IMO this content could have, and would have made more sense in a "night out" venue game pack with different venues all holding unique purposes. Getting a bowling alley + some decor doesn't interest me on it's own.

If we can have an SP that adds an NPC (butlers), I don't see why we can't have an SP that includes a venue. But I wouldn't mind my wealthy Sims with a bowling alley in the basement (I think a President added bowling alleys to the basement of the White House in Washington DC), or expanding my community center basement underneath the park in Oasis Springs to add a few lanes.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    As far as stuff packs go, bowling seems like a fair enough addition. I mean, we're not talking about an EP or a GP here. I like the idea of another activity which can be done individually or in pairs or groups. It gives our sims a new destination and I'm sure we could add a disco or cafe to it if desired.

As for the OP's alternative suggestions - well, a new vacation place would probably be restricted to a game pack. As for soccer/football, the animations would likely be restrictive and unsatisfactory in a sims game anyway. We had it in ts3 and there wasn't much to it really.

So I personally think the team made a pretty good choice with bowling. I think it will beat the likes of party stuff, patio stuff, garden stuff, spooky stuff and kitchen stuff.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited March 2017
    I like bowling and my son loves it but at the end of the day I'm hoping this "stuff" pack has great "stuff". Specifically maybe some 1950s 1960s retro style stuff. It seems to me, sometimes, that the word "pack" is all people read and seem to assume that all packs are the same price and size. This is a ten dollar stuff pack to use as filler between the larger releases. By and large I have found all the stuff packs well done and well worth the cost. Now, if they were releasing the Bowling EP (expansion pack) then I might better see the complaints here.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited March 2017
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't know bowling was so unpopular. I mean I'm a teen and I still go bowling with friends here and there ( although only one of my friends and I are really into it ) Then again, we like all kinds of sports and activities so maybe we're not the most average guys to ask about this.
    However, I'm pretty happy with getting a bowling SP. It's a neat group activity that doesn't seem to cost much to develop as opposed to more complex sports like football or soccer. ( Imagine the amount of rules and scenarios you'd have to implement to keep the games authentic and dynamic ) This is not to say I wouldn't like to see these in the game one day, but I'm also super happy with bowling.

Besides, the theme and outfits we saw so far seems to suggest some 50s vibe which is always appreciated in my book.

I think it's just in decline in metropolitan areas where rents are so expensive.
    Plus there's so much more competition entertainment wise in bigger cities than there is in say rural midwestern US.

Can't speak for other countries but I spent two years in Japan and don't recalll ever seeing a bowling alley.
    With the limited space they have there I doubt there are very many.
  • Options
    MiataPlay wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll throw in some pool tables for those that don't feel like bowling.

Or thrown in a new bar as well. I have good memories of the post bowling drinks :blush:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @Yoko2112
    For me personally, making complex sports with all their rules would be a complete waste of time. I'd rather have lots of sports to choose from, with funny and cute animations :)

If they do something slightly more complex, I'd rather have it done for children's game like cops&robber or hide&seek (which have much simpler rules than soccer anyway).
  • Options
    AutumnBladenAutumnBladen Posts: 295 Member

In my smallish (it wasn't in the middle of a city but it wasn't exactly small small either) hometown there were two or three bowling alleys. Now, my husband he lived in a tiny hometown and he still had one bowling alley in it plus two or three in the slightly bigger town nearby. Now we live in a major city in a third state and there are tons of bowling alleys. Also, Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky are all on the same half of the US as Washington, D.C. so it's not like you could claim it was a regional thing. So, I'd say bowling seems like a pretty common and legitimate idea. Maybe you're just not really aware of how many bowling alleys there are in Washignton D.C.? Cause I know unless you go and look it up, you don't always notice that sort of thing in such a big city.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Thats what I've been trying to understand since this the teaser!

what makes bowling so great, that it gets it's own pack?
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Bowling works well for the Sims franchise because:
    • It's a group activity
    • It's a casual activity. You don't require a lot of equipment, prep, or fitness to play.
    • All ages can play, and in the same group (maybe even toddlers!)
    • It's uncomplicated (not something like softball or baseball)
    • It actually IS fairly common and/or popular in many areas (I actually tried to go bowling for the first time in a long time last weekend, and the lanes were sold out on a Saturday night. And I don't live in a small town.)