Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Rule For My Restaurant: NO ELDERS!!! (Update: They aren't allowed in my vet clinic either now)

TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
So I have a funny story to share.

I've got to the point in my sims game where I have opened up a business, it's actually doing quite well. (3 star rating and going on up. I had to expand the dining room just recently to fit all the guests that keep coming in)

But in my most recent sim day of service we had a bit of a... hiccup.

So it's the middle of the rush, customers are happily eating, my sim is running about the floor welcoming guests and checking up on tables, All is going well. Until suddenly some tragic music starts to play. Then one of the older sims gets up and just DIES, right there in the middle of my restaurant.

Naturally not wanting an urn to worry about I plead for her life and she gets brought back, everyone is happy business can go back to normal.

But then good old Victor Feng not wanting anyone to steal his thunder decides that he too, shall have a go at dying. meanwhile it's causing service at my restaurant to suffer because ALL the waitstaff and the customers have gathered around in a big circle of pity party around this guys dead body.

I try to plead for him also but death decides he's not having it and leaves me with a lovely urn. At this point my staff is tired, customers are unhappy, and I've had enough of this dying nonsense. So I send everyone home for the day and pack up shop.

A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
Post edited by Tentacrocacles on

Comments

• Options
    jessienebulousjessienebulous Posts: 108 Member
    My detective sim had an elder coworker who dropped dead on the clock, and with the cop shop layout, managed to block my sim in so she couldn't get through the mass of sobbing sims in order to carry on with her work day. My comp runs slow on big public lots so I couldn't even properly fast forward through it. I ended up ending the shift early, delaying her promotion.

Say "YES" to mandatory retirement for NPC sims! :D
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member

Say "YES" to mandatory retirement for NPC sims! :D

It happened again but this time it was my head chef that died on the job. :\ no promotion for them I guess.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I have aged a lot of the restaurant staff down after a sudden death one lovely sim afternoon.

My sim was having an awesome girls day out with 2 of her nearest and dearest friends. After a workout at the gym, a relaxing swim and soothing sauna they decided to grab the obligatory coffee and cake at a diner.

Their whole day was ruined when, after the waiter brought out the cake, he promptly carked it in the middle of restaurant. How rude! So now about 98% of restaurant staff are now young adults. Sounds ageist but.....IDC! :D
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    My Sims' father has just died during his wedding ceremony. That was a party >:) !
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I'm sorry if this sound ageist, but I delete all old townies because of this very reason. I went to a lounge (me completely forgetting that it attracts old people) and 7 sims died. One after the other. I figured it'd be fun to hang out there but it was a terrible idea. Everyone was miserable. Sims shouldn't be "very sad" from "lost of a loved one" they didn't even know!
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited February 2017
    I really dislike elders lol ... they just drop dead everywhere.
    I only like them when I play legacies, but that will never happen in this game till they fix the game's family tree.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    We need an age restriction lot trait.
  • Options
    zuzumax2zuzumax2 Posts: 78 Member
    I've had like 5 nanny's die in front of my kids
    7wjjB5a.gif
  • Options
    dirtyDdirtyD Posts: 65 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    I only like them when I play legacies, but that will never happen in this game till they fix the game's family tree.

Whats wrong with the family tree? I stopped playing for a while & recently started back up with the release of toddlers and am currently playing my first legacy family. I know at launch there wasn't a family tree, but it was later patched in. Was it patched with problems?
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    dirtyD wrote: »

Whats wrong with the family tree? I stopped playing for a while & recently started back up with the release of toddlers and am currently playing my first legacy family. I know at launch there wasn't a family tree, but it was later patched in. Was it patched with problems?

Unless they fixed it, the trees has issues like ... well culling and that the game doesn't recognize any other family members besides grandparents, siblings, parents, children.

If I'm wrong please somebody correct me , but I think this game has a hard time recognizing cousins, great grandparents, step family members and in laws and well you get the point.

21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited February 2017
    zuzumax2 wrote: »

I think it's an ode to Elders dying at parties from TS3.
    I've had this happen as well, poor old Walter Connelly kicked the bucket.

01-20-17_2-22-44AM.png

01-22-17_6-42-30AM.png

01-24-17_4-38-33AM.png
  • Options
    BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    zuzumax2 wrote: »

Im sorry but lol :D
  • Options
    Maybe its my morbid sense of humor but this is hilarious to me :p
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I worry about this happening whenever I play my restaurant. I've been struggling at 4 1/2 stars for so long :joy: If this ever happened, I'd probably cry myself LOL.
    dirtyD wrote: »

Unless they fixed it, the trees has issues like ... well culling and that the game doesn't recognize any other family members besides grandparents, siblings, parents, children.

If I'm wrong please somebody correct me , but I think this game has a hard time recognizing cousins, great grandparents, step family members and in laws and well you get the point.

The game does recognize some of those roles, actually! :smiley: I'll put it in a spoiler since it's a little lengthy with pictures. :)
    The family tree recognizes great-grandparents (anyone after that is a "descendant")
    78726b2e084136ace84095c1af70eb6a.png
    3a545b3dc490a952210845ca5ba9ba61.png
    Half-siblings are shown:
    ef55e17abd6c5c83c3bfef9800958796.png
    As do step-children and step-siblings:
    c01bda74b9015cfba4a321b3ced5e5cf.png
    9ebbba76a50baec1a00fce1b916f65db.png
    (Yeah, this family is whack, I swear I didn't do this. MCC is a wild thing, LOL)
    But step-parents only show up under the circumstance when the other spouse is listed.
    c87993008e8f480d38264aa9762cd87e.png

In game, however, those relations don't show up in the panel, and half-siblings are listed as full siblings.

I like to think that the family tree doesn't show in-laws probably to conserve and prevent cluttering/overlapping of the tree in case of weirder relationships... But it doesn't recognize them in game when you hover over them when they are spoken to, which I find unfortunate.
    Cousins would be listed if it showed an aunt/uncle's family as well, but it doesn't, so... :( They do show up when you're talking to them and under relationships like this, however, so they exist (and the game does prevent autonomous romantic options for them as well.)
    aff97906ff4836d2eccc719d31dc9852.png

The cousins they do not show are those past first degree (which also includes the 'once removed' parts, so first cousins once removed are also not listed as cousins) within the tree and in general when spoken to.

I too also wish family trees had more depth. :( For now, there's always other sources like ThePlumTree and FamilyEcho to keep track of my beloved family trees. :sob:
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I use Dine Out a little differently than a lot of people do. I don't play as a restaurant owner/manager. I've scattered all the restaurant venues throughout various worlds and then I went in and customized each restaurant's menu to be a bit unique but also competitive against the others. I'm just saying that because my Sims are always customers and the restaurants are places for them to hang out on a random evening or weekend or they will stop in after going somewhere else.

Anyway, a while ago, I had a family go out for burgers at Hogan's Burger Bar which I put into Newcrest. They got to their table but during dinner, four different random elder Sims died. Everyone in the restaurant was crying. I figured that the place must be cursed which is funny because there's a guitar song about it too. It was a bit ridiculous. Did four people get food poisoning and die? :wink:

I was annoyed by the 4 urns that stayed in the restaurant until I eventually went into build mode and removed them. I did make a town cemetary on a small lot in Newcrest and I put them there until I feel like releasing them and getting rid of them. They are now extra random graves so that the cemetary isn't just full of my own Sims.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    My sims went out for a romantic dinner, at an unowned restrauant, and most the staff was elderly, and decided to die. This all happened while my sims were waiting on their food on a different floor, so I did not know what was going on. Got tired of waiting so went up to have them leave and saw like 3 urns in the kitchen. :lol:
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member

Me too. :p
  • Options
    JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    How rude. Hope your Sims skipped on the bill.
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    Nope ! No time to die , Must close the shop !!
    jr73Y.gif

• Options

Me too. :p

i know lol. it's so ridiculous i cant help but laugh
  • Options
    MissyScabtreeMissyScabtree Posts: 81 Member
    I hated how there seems to an overabundance of Elders in the game, it sounds horrible I know, but most of the time I went out, be it a club, lounge or just in the little food stall/park area outside my apartment, a good 60-70% of Sims that walked by or showed up were Elders.

Even when dining 90% of the staff were Elders! So I just went in and aged them all down. I used MC Center to turn the percentage that Elders spawn down, which oddly it was only something like 25-30%, but it felt like 100%!

No more huddled up groups of Sims nearly dead from hunger or peeing themselves because they are perma-crying! xD
    "Silence is the most powerful scream."
  • Options
    FriedCawfeeFriedCawfee Posts: 195 Member
    I had one death in each of the two restaurants my sims own, both from hysteria, they laughed to death. After the initial shock I took it as a compliment that the food and atmosphere were to die for...
    Playing the Sims since 2001.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I noticed the game decided to generate a lot of elders last time I opened my restaurant... now I'm scared...
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Before we got Dine Out, I had an ice cream shop in my game that someone created using the GTW retail system and the ice cream maker from Movie Hangout. One day, I sent my Sim there for ice cream and there were like 3 elders on that lot who died while I was there -- one employee and two customers, I think.

At least Grimmy seemed to enjoy my Sim's music:

09-21-15_8-09nbspPM_zpszz5ma1qe.png
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)