Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monitoring my CPU temperature

BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
edited January 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
So yesterday my PC crashed from overheating, after about 5 hours of consecutive playtime.
Today I ran Speccy to monitor the temperature, to make sure it doesn't happen again, and it's reading a 75 degrees celsius temperature.
That's too hot. And it was after only 10 minutes of playtime.

I decided that to play TS4 I will need to put a fan next to my PC.

I'm wondering if that's normal. 75 degrees seems a bit hot. What are you guy's temperature running at?

Windows 10 64 bits.
AMD FX 4100
8 Go RAM
GTX 760
Post edited by BlueOvale on

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,642 Member
    Could you download Hwmonitor instead and see if it's giving you the same results: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

@chesterbigbird: Your input?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    So yesterday my PC crashed from overheating, after about 5 hours of consecutive playtime.
    Today I ran Speccy to monitor the temperature, to make sure it doesn't happen again, and it's reading a 75 degrees celsius temperature.
    That's too hot, even after only 10 minutes of playtime.

I decided that to play TS4 I will need to put a fan next to my PC.

I'm wondering if that's normal. 75 degrees seems a bit hot. What are you guy's temperature running at?

Windows 10 64 bits.
    AMD FX 4100
    8 Go RAM
    GTX 760

OK download and install the program dekay linked.
    Open the program and LEAVE IT OPEN while you are playing, after playing check hwmonitor and check for the MAX temps for both your cpu and graphics card.
    If with speccy those temps were after you had already closed down the game then you have a problem with excess heat.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited January 2017
    This is after maybe 20 minutes of gameplay :#

The CPU max temp is indicated in two places. One says 74 degrees, the other says 65 degrees.
    The GPU max temp indicates 84 degrees.

This is with the case open, but with no fans working next to it. I have no idea why it's so hot.
    What do you think may be the problem? I didn't know excess heat was a thing...
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,642 Member
    When was the last time you cleaned the case? It could be the dust.
    I hope chesterbigbird will be able to help you out. She knows about desktops more than I do but that I know there's definitely some excess heat problems going on.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Even the GPU is running hot I think? Is 84 degrees celsius normal for a video card?
    This is baffling. The only thing all these components are linked to is the motherboard, so maybe that's where the problem lies?

Oh and I dusted the case tonight, so that's not the problem.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Is your computer off the shelf or custom? What kind of case and cooling do you have ?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Is your computer off the shelf or custom? What kind of case and cooling do you have ?

It was custom made by a local shop. I bought a new fan last month because the previous one broke. I couldn't tell you it's brand or specs though. Same for the case. It's pretty standard, nothing fancy. The temperatures recorded when the case was open, so I don't think air flow is the culprit here. And I applied a new layer of thermal paste this last summer.

I did have MSI Afterburner for a while. Do you think maybe the fan speed was altered there?
  • Options

It was custom made by a local shop. I bought a new fan last month because the previous one broke. I couldn't tell you it's brand or specs though. Same for the case. It's pretty standard, nothing fancy. The temperatures recorded when the case was open, so I don't think air flow is the culprit here. And I applied a new layer of thermal paste this last summer.

You only have one fan in the computer?

@chesterbigbird
  • Options
    I have two. A small one attached to the CPU, and a big one to redirect the heat outside the case.
  • Options
    You will probably need more fans but Ill wait for chester to answer since she builds.
  • Options
    I don't know if my case is big enough. And I feel like this could be a band-aid solution. Something's not right with my components. In the meantime I'll put a big fan next to my case. Even if I read it can screw up other things. Thank you for your input :)
  • Options
    I have two. A small one attached to the CPU, and a big one to redirect the heat outside the case.

You actually need to have a front intake fan. (Or side intake.)
    84 isn't too hot for the gpu although i would like it cooler. 65 is ok for the cpu but 74 is getting warm.
    Is it a stock cpu cooler or a aftermarket one? Does it look like this:
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=amd+fx+4300+stock+cooler&client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimhJD_yNDRAhXIj5QKHfDnCEsQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=515&dpr=4#imgrc=wvnMxew2D6nsoM:
    I would look into getting a intake case fan and upgrading your cpu cooler.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I have 4 fans in my computer plus a cpu cooler. You need intake , exhaust and cooling fans . Your case and not having enough cooling sounds like the problem
  • Options
    Airflow is a very complex thing inside a pc. Generally you will want equal intake and equal exhaust. Too much exhaust can equal more dust inside the case. So i always try to have positive pressure (more intake.)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Is it a stock cpu cooler or a aftermarket one?
    It looks exactly like this. That makes it a stock cooler? Are they worst than the aftermarket ones?

I didn't know custom PCs needed so many fans to be honest.
    I've been running this set-up for decades. And to be fair, the PCs sold always have one exhaust fan and that's it (from what I've seen).

I'm afraid it will take off like a helicopter! And the noise... oh boy.
  • Options
    And I'm especially amazed to know that some laptops can run this game with only one small fan confined in a tiny case.
  • Options
    Anyways, thank you all for our help. Looks like I have some money to spend :(
  • Options
    It looks exactly like this. That makes it a stock cooler? Are they worst than the aftermarket ones?

I've been running this set-up for decades. And to be fair, the PCs sold always have one exhaust fan and that's it (from what I've seen).

as I mentioned I have 4 fans. My PC is very quiet even while gaming
    And I'm especially amazed to know that some laptops can run this game with only one small fan confined in a tiny case.

Depends on the laptop. Gaming laptops designed for gaming will not have one fan. My gaming laptop has 3. One intake and 2 exhaust. Cooling is very important while gaming . A laptop without good cooling can heat up hardware and damage it. This also applies to desktop too. Heat will cause damage to hardware.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention. PC's off the shelf usually do not have good cases with good cooling even if they have gaming hardware inside. They make cases designed for gaming. When you do custom you not only pick out your own hardware , you get a case with good cooling. One that can handle extra fans or liquid cooling. Enough room in the case to replace or upgrade hardware. The case is just as important as the hardware inside it.
  • Options

Stock is not the best. A cheap aftermarket one can be had for around $40. And fans an be had for as little as $10.
    The off the shelf non gaming pcs do not need the cooling because the hardware inside them is not going to get as hot because it's not used for gaming.
    Any desktop that will be used for gaming needs some sort of intake.
    Laptops have completely different hardware.. they are designed to get hotter then a desktop.
    I'm suprised you got a custom pc with no intake fan as that's a big no no.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    I guess the store technician could've told me I was missing components. I don't know why he didn't.
    And I hope my power supply will be strong enough for all these extra pieces. It's 725 watts.

And pheobebebe13 I never doubted you. I'm just totally surprised by this new information.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I guess the store technician could've told me I was missing components. I don't know why he didn't.
    And I hope my power supply will be strong enough for all these extra pieces. It's 725 watts.

And pheobebebe13 I never doubted you. I'm just totally surprised by this new information.

I was just making a point that you won't have to worry about your PC taking off like a helicopter for having too many fans.LOL Some people have more than I do. I spoke to someone in here who had 11 fans

Your power supply sounds fine. Mine is 750
  • Options
    Elliephant92Elliephant92 Posts: 5 New Member
    I play on a mac they run like a charm but my god they heat up ridiculously fast and the fan sounds like an aircraft! After about an 1hr or 2 i come off the game to let my laptop cool, which also cools fast but i find it's still a problem. Don't recommend MacBooks for game play!
  • Options
    I play on a mac they run like a charm but my god they heat up ridiculously fast and the fan sounds like an aircraft! After about an 1hr or 2 i come off the game to let my laptop cool, which also cools fast but i find it's still a problem. Don't recommend MacBooks for game play!

Macs are not good or designed for hardcore gaming. They are ok for games like the sims if you do have a dedicated video card. I guess it depends on the Mac you have and what specs it have. We do have a Mac section in here for those who do play on Mac. Mac has it's own native version of the game. The game runs differently on Mac than PC http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions