Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I miss open world

Comments

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »
    @JoAnne65
    I think you may missing something about the "travelling is too long" argument. It's not just how long you are looking at your screen while your Sims is travelling, it's also how long in a Sim day it takes them, and how long the other Sims you may invite will take to go there. I think it's a fundamental difference between close world/open world, and not a matter of implementation, because you're pretty much expecting the other Sims in the open world to be seen moving in this open world.

Suggesting to use a cheat code to teleport all these Sims sounds as impractical than suggesting you close your eyes when there's a loading screen (there's even a music when loading is finished so you know when to open them again :D).
    I didn't miss that because I included that in my test ;)

Sims 3
    Slowest car (3) from one end of the world to the other = 65 minutes
    Fastest car (10) from one end of the world to the other = 32 minutes
    Teleporting (cheat, space ship or jetpack) = 1 minute to the very spot you want your sim to be)

Sims 4
    Sim time leaving from home =2 seconds
    Returning home =10 minutes (in Windenburg, where they have to walk to a certain point before they hit the loading screen)

Now indeed when you summon a sim it may take a while, unless you summon an NPC, they pop up in your garden just the way it is in Sims 4. Unless the sim in question owns a spaceship, then they appear almost immediately as well. Why do I mention this? Because we are discussing open world concept in the future, not in the past, and summoning a sim in a flash is possible in that open world (with the Lady Ravendancer Goth's Book O' Spells for example your sim can summon sims immediately, it works like teleporting). Open world doesn't rule out what people like in Sims 4 (no time passing while travelling), closed neighborhood and loading screens everywhere does rule out the pleasure of travelling and the reality of the time it takes for people who like that in their game. There is no travelling and I am one of those simmers who very much appreciate they added walking off a screen (though I highly regret it's not driving or cycling).

So if we exclude the teleporting/magic spells/spaceship, it does indeed take quite a lot of time. You can return home in 2 seconds too in TS4 by the way, just press M again to go back home. All movements are 2 seconds in TS4 : want to have a drink at the bar with coworkers ? 2 seconds later in-game, they're all there in an already populated lot. Changing your mind because you spotted your ex at the bar ? 2 seconds later in-game, and you're in front of the populated restaurant. Want to bring your so ? 2 seconds later it's done. Feeling tired ? 2 seconds later and you're back home. All following the normal rules of the game, no cheat codes.

I'm also discussing open world as a concept in the future, where I assume people would expect to see Sims walking around, and not have everybody teleport in front of the lot like in TS4. And time passing while travelling is certainly not the only problem I have with an open world. Ask yourself this question : if the loading screens were so short to be only in the blink of an eye, would you be fine with TS4 world structure ? If your answer is no then that means it's not just the loading screens themselves that make a difference, but there's some other consequences of the TS4 world structure that you don't like, and that some other may like.

For example, I like that my other Sims aren't doing something while I'm on another lot, I like that my neighborhs aren't visible in their houses, I like that there's no coherence and people are just semi-randomly passing by in front of my houses, I like that I can travel from the desert to an European town to New Orleans in less than 1 hour, I like that my Sims aren't doing things at the other end of the world, I like that the rest of the world isn't alive and I like that there's no visible building rabbit holes. Open world would most likely rule out most of that for me.

I'm not saying you can't like open world by the way, I'm just pointing that no option here (open world/close world) is without consequences on the enjoyment of players who like the other one. Open world has as much potential to ruin the enjoyment of close world players, than close world to open world players.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    One personal POV, it's not the loading screens that bother me about closed worlds. It's more that I can't locate and track sims and stuff where my sims aren't. I'm the kind of creepy watcher who stalks townies to help my sims locate their friends and find new friends, I look inside community venues to find what kinds of fun activities my sims might do next, and I also find plenty of collectibles this way, which is important as almost all my sims enjoy gardening and fishing so I need to take the time to locate wild plants and fishing spots. And it's much easier to take screenshots of the landscape in an open world too. Without open worlds, all these things are ruined, and my sims stay much more at home in TS4 than in TS3. Even much more than in TS2, because at least in TS2, they need to go shopping, time is delayed when they're on a community lot which is very convenient, and Nightlife makes it easy for friends to hang out all together downtown. I find TS4's closed worlds a serious obstacle for my sims' socialization and skills practiced outdoors.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2017
    @JoAnne65
    I think you may missing something about the "travelling is too long" argument. It's not just how long you are looking at your screen while your Sims is travelling, it's also how long in a Sim day it takes them, and how long the other Sims you may invite will take to go there. I think it's a fundamental difference between close world/open world, and not a matter of implementation, because you're pretty much expecting the other Sims in the open world to be seen moving in this open world.

Suggesting to use a cheat code to teleport all these Sims sounds as impractical than suggesting you close your eyes when there's a loading screen (there's even a music when loading is finished so you know when to open them again :D).
    I didn't miss that because I included that in my test ;)

Sims 3
    Slowest car (3) from one end of the world to the other = 65 minutes
    Fastest car (10) from one end of the world to the other = 32 minutes
    Teleporting (cheat, space ship or jetpack) = 1 minute to the very spot you want your sim to be)

Sims 4
    Sim time leaving from home =2 seconds
    Returning home =10 minutes (in Windenburg, where they have to walk to a certain point before they hit the loading screen)

Now indeed when you summon a sim it may take a while, unless you summon an NPC, they pop up in your garden just the way it is in Sims 4. Unless the sim in question owns a spaceship, then they appear almost immediately as well. Why do I mention this? Because we are discussing open world concept in the future, not in the past, and summoning a sim in a flash is possible in that open world (with the Lady Ravendancer Goth's Book O' Spells for example your sim can summon sims immediately, it works like teleporting). Open world doesn't rule out what people like in Sims 4 (no time passing while travelling), closed neighborhood and loading screens everywhere does rule out the pleasure of travelling and the reality of the time it takes for people who like that in their game. There is no travelling and I am one of those simmers who very much appreciate they added walking off a screen (though I highly regret it's not driving or cycling).

So if we exclude the teleporting/magic spells/spaceship, it does indeed take quite a lot of time. You can return home in 2 seconds too in TS4 by the way, just press M again to go back home. All movements are 2 seconds in TS4 : want to have a drink at the bar with coworkers ? 2 seconds later in-game, they're all there in an already populated lot. Changing your mind because you spotted your ex at the bar ? 2 seconds later in-game, and you're in front of the populated restaurant. Want to bring your so ? 2 seconds later it's done. Feeling tired ? 2 seconds later and you're back home. All following the normal rules of the game, no cheat codes.

I'm also discussing open world as a concept in the future, where I assume people would expect to see Sims walking around, and not have everybody teleport in front of the lot like in TS4. And time passing while travelling is certainly not the only problem I have with an open world. Ask yourself this question : if the loading screens were so short to be only in the blink of an eye, would you be fine with TS4 world structure ? If your answer is no then that means it's not just the loading screens themselves that make a difference, but there's some other consequences of the TS4 world structure that you don't like, and that some other may like.

For example, I like that my other Sims aren't doing something while I'm on another lot, I like that my neighborhs aren't visible in their houses, I like that there's no coherence and people are just semi-randomly passing by in front of my houses, I like that I can travel from the desert to an European town to New Orleans in less than 1 hour, I like that my Sims aren't doing things at the other end of the world, I like that the rest of the world isn't alive and I like that there's no visible building rabbit holes. Open world would most likely rule out most of that for me.

I'm not saying you can't like open world by the way, I'm just pointing that no option here (open world/close world) is without consequences on the enjoyment of players who like the other one. Open world has as much potential to ruin the enjoyment of close world players, than close world to open world players.
    And if we don't exclude teleporting and magic and futuristic means of transportation (and why would we, when you're in a hurry you're in a hurry right?) it won't take a lot of time. The choice is up to the simmer, Sims 4 doesn't have that choice. I don't want my sim to arrive in town two seconds after leaving home, for me it's a huge immersion killer (fortified by the fact they teleport). What you describe in your first paragraph is a nightmare for me in terms of life simulation and so is what you express in the third. The reason I get drawn into Sims 3 as soon as I open the game and forget time is the fact that it feels like a real world, not like a collection of isolated bubbles with no cohesion. Now, I do understand that's personal preference and opinion, but fact is that the Sims 4 way is only great for people like yourself, while open world at least leaves options to cater players who are not into travelling and time 'wasting'. NRaas SP even proves that it is possible to set different households in that open world to do or do not what you, the player, wants. I can't travel in Sims 4, I can teleport in Sims 3. And I can disable free will and put my sims at home in a chair if I want to, they won't do anything. That sums it up for me. Sims 4 only caters a very specific selection of players, Sims 3/open world has options.

What you seem to miss by the way - after missing the fact I did pay attention to sim time, not only real time - is that I don't have a problem with loading screens. I did say so in the post presenting my 'test'. I'll quote myself:
    I just did a 'speed' test, because I was curious what the differences effectively are between travelling in an open world and travelling between loading screens (for 'scientific' reasons, not because I care but because others seem to care; I don't mind waiting for a bit in 4 myself and I love travelling through an open world).

It's not loading screens as such that bother me, I'm not the one who is in a constant hurry apparently. Others seem to be. So if I'd ask myself the question "if the loading screens were so short to be only in the blink of an eye, would I be fine with TS4 world structure" the answer indeed would be: no. On the contrary. At least there is this sense of travelling for me, the player, when travelling at least takes 30 seconds for me. If that would only take the blink of an eye too, every sense of travelling would be completely gone all together.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @JoAnne65
    Yes, I know you like travelling, it wasn't a question for you per se, more like a little though experiment so that everybody could try to see it from someone else's perspective, to try to get the picture beyond just the "loading screens" themselves.

I'm excluding magic and futuristic because I'm talking about normal behaviors encountered in game, not various hoops you can go through to try to make it behave in a more bearable way. You don't see me suggesting you only play in a single neighborhood to get a sense of travelling in TS4 either ;)
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    They didn't make the Sims 4 open world because it was really laggy in the Sims 3, especially Isla Paradiso. Isla Paradiso is pretty much impossible to live in. My best computer couldn't even handle it.

But as more and more EPs, GPs and SPs are added Sims 4 is starting to slow down, so I wonder how much of Sims 3 lag was due to open world, and how much came from poor programming? As much as I love them, Sims games stick to pattern:
    release buggy game, follow up with patch which only fixes some of the bugs, while breaking something else, stick head in sand and leave fixes to modders. Release new buggy content which breaks previously working Content, follow up with patch which only fixes some of the bugs, while breaking something else, stick head in sand and leave fixes to modders... Rinse and repeat.

Back on subject, yeah, I do miss open world, but I have learned to live without it.
  • Options
    CourtLuvesSimsCourtLuvesSims Posts: 54 Member
    I miss open world too, but there were too many issues. I do think we should at least be able to walk to the lots that we can see right next door and across the street though.
  • Options
    SimmeringBreeSimmeringBree Posts: 266 Member
    SuRihtanil wrote: »
    They didn't make the Sims 4 open world because it was really laggy in the Sims 3, especially Isla Paradiso. Isla Paradiso is pretty much impossible to live in. My best computer couldn't even handle it.

They didn't make sims 4 open world because sims 4 was suppose to be a MMO or online not a single player game. Its why the graphical style is more cartoon based, its also why we had such a lack luster base game. Again it's also why there wasn't toddlers, family trees, family relationships such as aunts/uncles etc. when game launched, you wouldn't need that sorta thing in a MMO playing with other players. Sims 4 is just a thrown together patched up project that was meant to be played a entirely different way but last minute changes is what we got... I am still hopeful for news on sims 5 and a proper offline single player game from start to finish... we sims fans deserve it.

With all respect but what makes you so sure Sims 4 was originally multiplayer, and that we're going to even get a sims 5 I don't really get where you are getting this from..
  • Options

They didn't make sims 4 open world because sims 4 was suppose to be a MMO or online not a single player game. Its why the graphical style is more cartoon based, its also why we had such a lack luster base game. Again it's also why there wasn't toddlers, family trees, family relationships such as aunts/uncles etc. when game launched, you wouldn't need that sorta thing in a MMO playing with other players. Sims 4 is just a thrown together patched up project that was meant to be played a entirely different way but last minute changes is what we got... I am still hopeful for news on sims 5 and a proper offline single player game from start to finish... we sims fans deserve it.

With all respect but what makes you so sure Sims 4 was originally multiplayer, and that we're going to even get a sims 5 I don't really get where you are getting this from..
    Google 'Sims 4 Olympus' and you'll find the answer. As for Sims 5, what's wrong with hoping this franchise doesn't end with version 4?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    edited March 2017

Google 'Sims 4 Olympus' and you'll find the answer. As for Sims 5, what's wrong with hoping this franchise doesn't end with version 4?

AFAIK, despite its flaws, Sims 4 is very good in sales.
    EA would make a huge mistake if they wouldn't give green light for the development of Sim 5.
    And if it is developed from the ground off as a singleplayer game (like Sims 3), it may also contain an open world again
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Proteus42 wrote: »

EA would make a huge mistake if they wouldn't give green light for the development of Sim 5.
    And if it is developed from the ground off as a singleplayer game (like Sims 3), it may also contain an open world again
    Sims 1, 2 and 3 were very good in sales too; that didn't stop them from starting to develop Sims 2, 3 and 4 though, so I don't understand your argument (??). I do hope there will be a Sims 5 myself, like I hoped there would be a Sims 4 during Sims 3 (and I love that game). I also hope, if they do, they'll take their time. Don't rush anything, think it through and please please please make it an experience every single Sims player can agree on they improved it.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    I miss it too. City Living could've been so much bigger. I know we had lag issues, but it seems i'm having them already in Sims 4 (as many others) so I don't even think it would've mattered if we have open world or not.

I remember my sims jogging at night with this beautiful sky over them, running trough town and not 30 seconds and go back to home..
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    edited March 2017

Sims 1, 2 and 3 were very good in sales too; that didn't stop them from starting to develop Sims 2, 3 and 4 though, so I don't understand your argument (??). I do hope there will be a Sims 5 myself, like I hoped there would be a Sims 4 during Sims 3 (and I love that game). I also hope, if they do, they'll take their time. Don't rush anything, think it through and please please please make it an experience every single Sims player can agree on they improved the experience.

It seems like you are misunderstanding me.
    I said that, exactly because Sims 4 is good in sales, there is quite a big chance that we will get Sims 5 (and therefore there is no worry, that the Sims series will stop with Sims 4)
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Sims 1, 2 and 3 were very good in sales too; that didn't stop them from starting to develop Sims 2, 3 and 4 though, so I don't understand your argument (??). I do hope there will be a Sims 5 myself, like I hoped there would be a Sims 4 during Sims 3 (and I love that game). I also hope, if they do, they'll take their time. Don't rush anything, think it through and please please please make it an experience every single Sims player can agree on they improved the experience.

It seems like you are misunderstanding me.
    I said that, exactly because Sims 4 is good in sales, there is quite a big chance that we will get Sims 5 (and therefore there is no worry, that the Sims series will stop with Sims 4)
    Oh, sorry :D (I misread "wouldn't" for "would"). We agree then ;) Though apparently not everything Sims 3 yielded was spent on Sims 4, but on a game called Titanfall. So there's another wish of mine: please spend Sims money on Sims next time.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    edited March 2017

Lol these beta videos make people so sure it was originally multiplayer that's what.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2IPZDJ-pt0[/video]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAPuMqOmBzY[/video]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsx-pgwMYew[/video]
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    FluffalFluffal Posts: 5 New Member
    It took a lot of mods and debugging to make TS3 OW playable, so I understand why EA wasn't eager to re-open that can of worms in TS4
    But I still do find myself missing that feature when I hit a corner of the lot I'm stuck in on TS4
  • Options
    Fluffal wrote: »
    It took a lot of mods and debugging to make TS3 OW playable, so I understand why EA wasn't eager to re-open that can of worms in TS4
    But I still do find myself missing that feature when I hit a corner of the lot I'm stuck in on TS4
    Instead they could have looked into what those mods did to make open world run better and use that knowledge in the new game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Sims 4 olympus, the worst idea, all this time wasted for this... Must not be surprised about the quality of TS4 honnestly...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Sims 3 open world wasn't the problem. It was the bad coding. Which caused the lag, glitches, and crashes (not to mention it was 32-bit instead of 64-bit which limited the game's potential even more). Just because it didn't work the first time though they shouldn't have abandon it. Where would humans be if they gave up on the first try for anything? Sims 4 was originally Sims Online 2.0 called Olympus at the time. After SimCity 2013 disaster with online DRM they scrapped the original plan and made Sims 4 in under a year on a poor quality engine that lags to this day (due to sloppy coding).
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    EmmaNijiEmmaNiji Posts: 102 Member
    I say get over it. Get what you get and don't throw a fit. enjoy the game and what it already has. Make the best of it. I have fun with it every day no matter what it is lacking. The people who created TS4 have been working very hard on it. Clearly, they can't make everyone happy. Every person who works on the game is just that, a person. They are not literal gods that can simply create anything out of thin air just because a few people complain and don't get what they want.
  • Options
    @Candyd well said !
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    There will be ever people which will deny the fact TS4 is empty. I don't know why, but open your eyes, TS4 is bad for many things. Emotions and toddlers after 2 years is not an excuse!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    EmmaNiji wrote: »
    I say get over it. Get what you get and don't throw a fit. enjoy the game and what it already has. Make the best of it. I have fun with it every day no matter what it is lacking. The people who created TS4 have been working very hard on it. Clearly, they can't make everyone happy. Every person who works on the game is just that, a person. They are not literal gods that can simply create anything out of thin air just because a few people complain and don't get what they want.
    Relax. People are only expressing their opinions here. Opinions about the game, not about the people working on the game, like you are.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    There will be ever people which will deny the fact TS4 is empty. I don't know why, but open your eyes, TS4 is bad for many things. Emotions and toddlers after 2 years is not an excuse!

why TS4 is empty and bad for many things? Things like what please? Yes, we got toddlers after 2 yrs since its launched but we did have a better improved version of toddlers and its the best so far I've seen.

The Sims Game
  • Options
    But EP's are not good. For the moment of course.
    Lu4ERme.gif