Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rolling Review and Thoughts on CL/VG NEW-Season End Video Greeting from Reg and Max

Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
MY OVERALL SUMMARY AFTER THREE WEEKS OF PLAY IS ON PAGE TWO- PLEASE SEE IT THERE

Thoughts on CL-

I moved my Cowboy Brian Reginald, from Oasis to the big city. Fed up with politics as usual he has decided to make the jump into government riding the “Simoleons For Everybody!” train into his new career. His plan: SAVE THE WORLD From The Incompetence of Everybody Else. He’s a loner and a hothead so I naturally moved him into the cheapest, most crowded apartment in the city. He’s also going to do a little urban farming on the side on his balcony to sell in the plaza.

Cons so far: YOU CAN NOT BUILD APARTMENTS (Sorry had to get that out- again) / It's VERY jarring the transition from the elevator spawn point to the ground and vice versa/ Musicals chairs (still)/ seeing people from way out in the suburbs in town doing the same things they do in the suburbs- for instance, Geoffery Landgrabb jogging through the Spice District and dropping to do push-ups… just like always… really all the way into the city for that ( :/ ) / It would have been nice if the two story promenade in Uptown had been fully accessible- it looked crowded and more like a real city down below and you feel an urge to go down and visit the bottom level but, of course, it’s just unattainable dressing (maybe they could open it up by putting out an Expansion Pack “Expansion Pack” that we could buy in the future) and last but DEFINITELY NOT LEAST: LAG! LAG! LAG! If this is the harbinger of things to come the Sims 3 will seem like flowing silk in comparison. It’s everywhere and I have tried every trick save removing MY ENTIRE LIBRARY (Uh, yeah… Uh, No). There was not a problem before the patch but now it’s saturating the game. As well, when I just tried to save the game before closing, it would not save. We’ll see how bad that is over time and if it too seems connected.

Pros so far- following below:
I put together an apartment for Reg with the idea that it’s in a building the owner is trying to “gentrify” but it’s mostly a cosmetic overlay as the plumbing and wiring are too expensive to fix. The landlord has a budget and limited resources doncha you know. However, I had been hoping and it’s true that in balcony apartments you can change the part of the outer wall that’s contained within the balcony and I’ve done that here. Hooray! We have to grab the little moments when we get them as builders in this game. I LOVE (I don’t say that very much with this iteration) this window and door set! It’s great- there’s another window on the other side of the door making a great view and letting in tons of light! My favorite build items so far! Really, I love them.

11-02-16_8-50-02nbspAM_zpsbtwcsu8l.png

I settled him in, he went below to eat in the plaza (musical chairs-sigh), chose the politics career and his cause, then settled in to write a letter of outrage regarding his cause when the neighbors next door were getting their "on" a little too ON. He’s a hothead and mean so he LOVED going over to yell (really made him happy! lol) Ms. Strapless Towel was not sympathetic and suggested he go out on the town and find a little fun of his own then she went back inside with a thought bubble over her head of a baby bassinet- yeah, back to making babies… The interaction was funny and I enjoyed it. It WAS different then say living in Oasis- we'll see if it continues being novel long term.

11-02-16_6-27-35nbspAM_zpsgsl6myqv.png

The next day the welcoming committee arrived and I invited them in. The Boom Boom lady from the night before was with them AND she spent the whole time tired with the bed thought bubble! Ha ha, that’s what you get “finding fun” all night long. They dropped off the fruit cake and played some console video games. Big fun boost with the object- more than the PC. (Is this a HINT that the Sims 5 will be CONSOLE ONLY? Time will tell…)

I sent him back to the plaza to protest for MORE SIMOLEONS! He got a few watchers and when he was finished they had upward pointing arrow thought bubbles and like coins going in a piggy bank so I took that as a positive-lol! Had him buy some fruit to plant on his balcony and something to eat again. The night before I had him haggle and this day I did as well. He was successful all three times. I don’t know if that means it’s easy or if it’s his personality. He is maybe level three in Charisma and that might be helping. The fruit seller looked a little nervous about giving him the discount as though he might not want other people seeing it and wanting the same- a true reaction or my reading into it, not sure but it worked at the time.

11-02-16_6-56-56nbspAM_zpsbhh79rwv.png

Since he wants MORE SIMOLEONS! I had him place his selling table out and sell the remnants of the fruit cake when the local wildlife wondered by in their underwear, sporting a green top hat! LOL! I really liked that. It was funny! That lady actually bought the cake! Yeah, I think she might have been on bath salts and living under the elevated highway though- old Methuselah Leprechaun there is probably her husband- lol.

11-02-16_7-02-12nbspAM_zpsmmqizxhm.png

He ate at the food stall again- NO musical chairs this time, yay! The little girl in blue is the daughter of one of my sims in Magnolia Promenade. What is she doing in Myshuno near dark. Those two ladies are probably wondering the same thing I am- Where's yo daddy? I can only imagine- I'm imagining her father has rented a vacation unit in the building behind them on the first floor and is watching his daughter carefully from the window ;) . Then Reg went through the garbage where he found a firework and went home... stinking of garbage, ha!

11-02-16_7-07-21nbspAM_zpsjghsusrf.png

After a shower I sent him to Uptown. It was about 8 pm and the upper level felt pretty empty. A few people about. He did a speech at the podium for the wind- no one stopped here but you know he’s still a little dusty from Oasis and this IS UPTOWN. At the end of the speech an info box told me that Reg didn’t inspire anyone- really? Gee, I couldn’t have guessed that from all the empty seats- ha! I don’t know if the podium just doesn’t work, he’s still too new to the career, Uptown people don't need no mo' simoleons or what. I’m going to try it in the Spice District later.

So, do I like it so far? Yeah, I do. It's fun. It's different and I especially like the chance to get out in the plaza. I rarely leave my home lot in the other towns- in Winderberg I do a little in the Harbour District but here I really felt the urge to go down. It felt a lot more open world. I saw people playing guitar and spraying graffiti and walking around in their underwear ect. I loved setting up the table and protesting. The apartment... sigh... I'd rather build my own but it was fun decorating the space, changing the outer wall helped and I have a "pretend" apartment building I'm going to place on the water in the Spice District soon so, it is what it is. All in all I am enjoying it, so far.

More to come...
Post edited by Renamed2002180839 on

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Re. removing your Library - this is the almost-100%-sure-cure for lag at the moment, and it has no effect on your saves or your Gallery. If you remove your Tray and restart the game, the only effect is that if you want to access any of that Library content to add it to your save, you need to put Tray back first. Unless you're actively using the Library, it's no harm done to pull it out temporarily. QA has been actively working on this issue.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Hi Jason! Your lag is not EP related, that's due to the patch. I had TERRIBLE lag after the patch hit (but before CL released). Removing my tray folder worked to alleviate it, but I didn't like not having access to my library while playing (I pull sims and place houses all the time while playing, so I felt crippled by my empty tray folder). I did discover that going into my game settings and going "offline" also fixed my lag issues, so that's the route I have chosen to take. I miss being able to share pictures directly to twitter, but it's better than not being able to access my Library.

SimGuruNick is aware of the issue and they're looking into it.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Thanks @luthienrising and @Ceres_Meiriona- Thanks for the info, I'm aware. :( With it being a new EP I have several builds that I am drawing in and out of my library to use (lots of scattered rooms current and from the past) and I'm placing numerous Sims as well in the new city in a new save dedicated to this pack- that's why it's really not an option, imo, to remove my library right now. I just think this is yet another example of not beta testing enough (shrug). It throws a bad cast over the new pack though which itself is not that bad.

I playing as I can at “work” today-lol. Picking up where I left off….

New Cons: There are not enough lots for building. Using the concept of placing several venues together on one lot and then just switching from designation to designation is NOT ideal. Especially in light of a venue like the restaurant where I have tables and chairs for different venues scattered across four floors and the roof. It causes the waiters to run everywhere as people sit everywhere, slowing down both order taking and delivery to the point of frustration. Otherwise you are forced to build walls whenever you change designations blocking off parts of the lot. That said, I love my building and the view and it's works okay.

New Pros following: I had Reg eat in a restaurant I’m just finishing up in Uptown. Check out the view! This is the lot AND the view wasted on the gym, ha. I really consider this something akin to the fourth “penthouse” lot due to its height. To me that's a big plus. I haven't really looked into the one in the fashion district like this but I hope it works as well and can be my fifth "penthouse" lot. I’m doing a four story building with a “Barnes and Noble” café and bookstore on the ground floor, followed by a day spa, followed by this restaurant and capped by a nightclub with a rooftop lounge. I gave the lot “chef’s kitchen”, “fast internet” and “convivial” as the traits BUT I forgot the game refused to save when I shut down last time AND I therefore did not have “chef’s kitchen” in place for this meal. I will in the future and I want to see how the meal turns out under its effect. Afterward I sent him home.

11-02-16_10-59-35nbspAM_zpsbsxgjhsg.png

Back at the apartment I had Reg play games again for a bit. Thinking about lot traits above I want to add that the apartment has the fixed TLC trait which I added “earthquake” too (I figure the repeated shaking is why stuff breaks all the time, lol) and the “good soil” traits for Reg's balcony farm. I figure the last one is really a sort of “green thumb” trait and it does seem to work well so far. I'm curious how good the quality of the fruit will be. I LOVE THOSE WINDOWS! No, really... no, I know I sound like a Fanbot but really, I do.

11-02-16_11-17-49nbspAM_zpsxfdmj3d0.png

I then sent him to bed only to be awakened by a mouse! Eek! I had him throw a mouse trap into the hole but… it only made the problem worse- lol. The thing probably took the cheese back to it’s family. It came out several more times in the night and made it’s little circuits around the floor but my sims slept though the rest. Then IT happened. Okay- LIFE IS HARD IN SAN MYSHUNO. Right after electing to have Reg (who was still sleeping) work from home rather then wake him up for work THERE WAS AN EARTHQUAKE and THE MOUSE WAS RUNNING AROUND LIKE CRAZY and REG HAD TO PEE SOMETHIG AWFUL! ALL AT THE SAME TIME! LOL! It was the perfect worst morning ever. I decided to try and tackle the mouse on my own- again… you know, after I went and peed. YES- I got him that time- HA HA!

11-02-16_11-20-38nbspAM_zps1cabmwwc.png

I intend on getting Reg back out to the plaza to stomp some more for the "More Simoleons!" platform and then maybe visit the Fashion District and the Meadows, which I have already replaced with my I.G.Y. City build to see how that lot runs in CL. I'm thinking of it as a planned development in the middle of the Meadows- kinda like the City Center development in Las Vegas. As soon as I can get done with this "work".

More to come later...

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Cons: I’m moving forward in testing buildings in the city and discovered you can’t put in-ground fountains on the penthouse lots. Why? You can drop a pool through the floor but not a fountain? Anyway, it’s not a huge deal since you can use the pool and the fountain sprayers to replicate a fountain by and large but still- another cut? Has no one at EA/Maxis heard of dying by a thousand tiny cuts? As well, I CANNOT find the matching material from the side of the skyscraper lot for use on the exterior of my penthouse lot. I went through the entire catalog and I just don’t think it’s there. That was a huge problem in 3 as I recall with the Bridgeport skyscrapers and it’s still a problem. I’m really not digging that but you know, this pack was just NOT made for builders- obviously, thanks EA.

Pros in the rolling story below: So I send Ol’ Reg down to give a speech which is well receive by exactly ONE person-lol. Still that’s better then the ZERO persons I got in Uptown so I feel really centered and confident in my progress.

11-02-16_3-44-36nbspPM_zpsyagmuqqi.png

I decide what’s needed is a good protest- and- Wait, WHAT? REALLY we need the push up convention RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW? The frustration you see on Reg's face there is the frustration you see on mine.

11-02-16_3-48-00nbspPM_zps4ygp9enz.png

Still Reg soldiers on, even Nancy’s digging it but you know MORE SIMOLEONS is right up her alley- luckily she seems to have missed the “everybody” part. Then this! Geoffery decides he’ll throw a little protest too… for trees! Trees? I think so- it was in his thought bubble. Sorry but money is more important than trees. Then the Pancake chick shows up to help him... AND then another person comes up protesting about the Rainbow People of the Arctic (again thought bubble, I'm just guessing at the cause) or something and Cowboy Reg is getting tense from all the “stranger danger” but I make him carry on the good fight! In the end my big supporters today are the crazy, old, half-naked guy and Nancy… I guess you have to start somewhere.

11-02-16_3-50-37nbspPM_zpsoeplic55.png

I took my protest to the Fashion District and… NOBODY gave me more then a second glance! Well, you know, fashion=self-absorbed I get it BUT I’m talking MORE SIMOLEONS FOR EVERYBODY! You don’t get more “me,me,me” in a platform then that. How do you turn that down? Anyway they were busy with breakfast so I decided the way to teach the pretty perfect people in the pretty perfect world a lesson was to deface said perfection with a political message delivered via graffiti. Maybe it's the deeply buried sensitive part of me (YES It's exists) thinking, maybe it was the fumes from the spray paint I kept spraying in my face and huffing, maybe it was aliens… I don’t know but- my work- IT’S BEAUTIFUL MAN!

11-02-16_4-44-41nbspPM_zpslnkpvlv4.png

Later at home the electrical panel started sparking- I thought about fixing it myself but, uh... yeah, Reg is still new in town, better to kill the landlord. So she shows up, fixes it, after staring at for like an hour and then tells me to call if I need anything else but not too often- Uh HELLO I’m paying good money for this place. It’s supposed to be nice! It’s got stainless steel appliances and butcher block counter tops for Sim's sake. Whatever! I will call whenever I want (we’ll see how that goes) cause somebody needs to get her lazy landlord butt up here and deal with these rats and roaches.

11-02-16_5-02-31nbspPM_zps3elh1t7h.png

Okay, overall I'm still digging the game. I can really see never living in the other worlds again- lol. The atmosphere of Myshuno is pretty well executed (minus the idi-oughtic jogger/push-upper gang). Next I'm going to continue with Reg but also launch a rags to riches sim selling junk from the empty lot where the Karaoke Bar was in the Spicy District and where he now lives in a tent. I'm going to test how well the selling tables work on a residential lot, right across from the plaza where the flea market is held and I'm going to be particularly interested in whether the sim gets more business due to bleed over buyers from the festival while it's going on. More to come...
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    OH! I nearly forgot and I want to add one more PRO- you can walk behind the buildings around the plaza- I thought it was just FX but there's a road and sidewalks and you can walk around back there if you want. I haven't really tested to see how far it spreads out though- yet.
  • Options
    JRBearJRBear Posts: 190 Member
    This is definitely my favorite review so far. I hope you post more updates. :)
  • Options
    Thanks @JRBear I'm trying to approach it in a fair manner with a sense of humor like I play- there's some neat fun things in it.

Cons: You CANNOT use the Flea Market tarp to sell furniture in your yard- I also don’t see a way to sell with it at the flea market either. To be fair selling furniture was never mentioned as a feature but I had hopes based on pictures of the flea markets and if you had the same hopes, then now you know that it can’t be done. Fruit can be placed for sale on the selling table but it just sits individually across the table in a scatter and looks really unnatural. I have not tried setting up one of the vegetable stands to sell harvestables but I think they are all staffed by NPC and not really player runable. I’m going to test that later.

Pros in the rolling story below:

David came to the city with high hopes, flush with excitement and looking forward to leaving the soggy ground of Willow Creek behind to live the high life with his newfound “soulmate”. Unfortunately, the “LTR” he met on Simdr didn’t actually understand what “LTR” meant- the poster thought it was just acronym like LOL or OMG and used it without purpose simply because it was on so many other profiles. The dream was over in two days, well… no, it was actually over in two hours cause you know it was Simdr but David managed to hang around for two days before the locks were changed and his stuff (read his backpack) was left on the curb. So, here is the young, homeless artist thrown out of his “soulmate’s” apartment and left to fend for a life on the street. No matter he exists as a child of the heavens! He lives IN HIS SOUL! He's alfresco with a harbor view! He eats in the garbage.

11-03-16_10-32-22nbspAM_zpslc8dwko4.png

Not every night though, as on this night, The Spice Festival has started just in time for dinner. I had him run over first and harvest everything free that was available as part of the festival before anyone else could get it. Then since he was hungry, I had him do the Spice Challenge. It’s FREE! He was a little apprehensive but as you can see EVEN A CHILD can eat it. "Yeah but his isn't on fire." What? It’s food. It’s free! Quit whining about the fire. He didn’t win the challenge :'(

11-03-16_10-35-52nbspAM_zps6fip2bye.png

The festival is pretty cool in execution. It does feel well attended. There’s quite a crowd and it’s neat the way it fades into being but even neater is the way it slowly closes down with various functions fading while others remain open, with the bar being the last to close. That felt real! It was a very good touch. The festivals are small and there’s not a ton to do BUT the crowd made it seem a bit like being in a small part of a larger festival- I really like buying spices here and harvesting fruits and vegetables. I bought the swag too (his haggling failed and he got red negative signs from the owner- uh oh)- David’s going to sell the “swag” at his “business”.

11-03-16_10-43-43nbspAM_zpsgkiuevdq.png

He was getting tense from no fun so I had him try out the “Bubble Blower”. He got “glum”- LOL. I don’t know I’ve seen that emotion before. It actually said about the blower: “David thought this would be fun?” Ha!

He was super tense after that so I tried having him shoot hoops. I was surprised because he really didn’t gain a lot of “fun” from doing this either. He did get a bit of fun boost from the “dream big” interaction but he also got embarrassment from pretending to be a star and a sprained ankle! Ha! I’m guessing this is more of an athletic boost then an entertainment one.

I got him some dinner after the basketball- haggling worked this time. There are some neat FX touches around the city- for instance this steam pipe! I hadn’t noticed it until now, small but cool and adds the realism I like about this area of the city. It’s strange but I’d swear that around 5 pm when you’d expect people to be coming and going from work that the foot traffic does pick up quite a bit through the plaza as though people ARE coming and going from work. Again, I could be reading something into nothing.

11-03-16_12-17-48nbspPM_zpsdxklyest.png

I WALKED AROUND testing the boundaries of the Spice District. The Freeway essentially marks the one edge- the avenue behind the apartment buildings marks that edge- while I was back there I tested placing the sell table away from the plaza on a general sidewalk area AND it placed! I was really a little surprised and excited by that. I was afraid it would have to be tied to your lot or the plaza but essentially it seems to go down anywhere! The far end of this pic where the building cuts across the street it is that edge and of course the water comprises the fourth edge. All in all not huge but not really small and the buildings cutting off the line of sight make the area feel bigger.

11-03-16_12-24-54nbspPM_zpspznnynrv.png

OKAY- again maybe it’s a fluke or I’m reading too much into it BUT this car just STOPPED IN THE STREET (Yeah, I know, right!) as my sim was crossing as opposed to just running him over and waited for him to cross before continuing- is that new?

11-03-16_12-27-51nbspPM_zps8lq0cqdf.png

I had him try selling wares at the end of the evening on his table and at first nothing. I was getting pretty discourage when I noticed a selection to “Start Yard Sale”. Bingo! That worked, well, mostly. Several people showed up and a few bought. I’ll need a lot (AS IN A LOT!) more expensive items to really turn a profit but I was excited when the little $8 floated up through the air. This will work better I think, like the retail stores, when you have a couple of family members running tables and the painting board all at the same time. But it does work and it’s promising. The next day the Flea Market sat up. I took over a table there but I’d say the results were poorer than doing it as a yard sale. I eventually selected “Start Street Sale” from the table interactions and while that increased traffic slightly there were still no sales. Let’s face it though, when your sim is trying to hawk fruit he picked for free at the festival the night before that could have something to do with it- LOL.

The flea market was well enough attended BUT there weren’t very many people shopping- mostly eating, sitting at tables and listening to a musician. I had David haggle for food again and he failed again- ha! I think sometimes the haggling works better if there’s no one else around.

11-03-16_12-48-48nbspPM_zps8ricwt5s.png

One thing that keeps striking me as I play in this city is the fact that is feels like ONE city that is cohesive and connected. I can see Uptown from the Spice District and I can see everything from Uptown ect. You don't feel as if you are just in a random neighborhood with no connection to the other neighborhoods available to play in within the city. I think this one was really planned and designed as a whole and to be represented as a whole- not just pieces thrown on a map and called a city. It's really a good step in the right direction and something that hasn't been touch on a lot and it's one of the big things I like about this city.

More to come...
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Just popping in to say that I'm really enjoying this thread! Lots of great insight here into why things are working or not for you.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    OMG did the car really stop for you?! Love that.
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    This is a great review so far, I like that you show both pros and cons. Thanks for the information. :)
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Love your thread! Thanks for sharing your views and adding the pics, I have enjoyed reading so far :)
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    edited November 2016
    love this thread.

Edit: did I read this right , we cannot build our own apartments??
    Post edited by Frn0731 on
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    @Simanite IT REALLY DID! LOL! I couldn't believe it myself and I'm going to have to try and replicate it but I swear to Sim, I directed David to cross the street to test the boundary of the district. He started across and the car came careening toward the curve, stopped- full stop- until David finished crossing and then started up again and went on. I was AMAZED! It could be a fluke, we'll see but it was great!

@Frn0731 Oh lord, I don't want to get that debate started again, lol, but yes, we cannot build our own apartments. There are three "penthouse" lots on top of skyscraper shells that act exactly as our current lots do- I hope to have a penthouse build ready to show soon- and that is some (small) consolation. It's what I have been working on this evening a little. There's a fourth lot in Uptown that while not technically a "penthouse" lot has the view and I count in the same vein as the other three. The "apartments" are all pre-built and are only located within San Myshuno- you can not place them in any of the other worlds, it has to do with the design of the concept and the manner in which existing saves in existing worlds would be corrupted. Marketing Excuse? Yeah maybe, I'm not a programmer but I tend to believe it. In many ways apartments are like mini neighborhoods with a shell designed to mimic a building instead of say the park type spaces normally found around lots. So, you wouldn't be placing a single building but an entire neighborhood in the other worlds when trying to place the apartments. I've already exhausted myself expressing my extreme displeasure with the way apartments have been done around the forum and a quick search will provide you with ample topics on the subject to add your own commentary to. I will say this, I'm enjoying redesigning the pre-mades more than I thought I would and the plazas around the units are very open and act closer to an "open world" then we have yet had in the Sims 4. I VERY MUCH like that and think it can't be harped on enough- it's a real selling point imo. For instance, I can leave my apartment, go to the plaza, buy vegetables, buy dinner and during flea markets buy furniture even, without loading screens. I can set up a stand for selling collectibles and other stuff or a board for selling my artworks in the same plaza and have a small retail business, also without a loading screen, I can attend special events without a loading screen and so on. It's a huge change in my opinion and while I would not say it's worth losing customization of apartments for... it still kinda is worth it and I am digging that aspect of it.

Tomorrow I hope to touch on some more building stuff and have that first Penthouse lot done for a Karaoke Siren- fingers crossed.

• Options
    michellecbus81michellecbus81 Posts: 107 Member
    Thanks for your review!
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    Very nice rolling review @JasonAnthonySterling.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I enjoyed reading your review.
  • Options
    MamajanaynayMamajanaynay Posts: 1,139 Member
    Thank you for posting your rolling review on CL, Jason. I especially appreciate the pro's and con's that you have experienced, it has helped me to make a decision as to whether to buy this ep or not to buy it. Like you, I'm soooo disappointed in not being able to put or build apartments in other worlds, but well it is what it is I guess. I can say that from reading your review (and I have searched and watched and listened to all the other reviews out there and tbh they just didn't sell me on why I should buy it), I will be purchasing CL next Wednesday. Thanks again! Waiting to read more!! :)
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Thanks for posting. So, I'm confused about not being able to sell things in your front yard. If I want a Sim that lives in another town to sell things in front of her house, I can't do that?

• Options
    imhappy wrote: »
    Thanks for posting. So, I'm confused about not being able to sell things in your front yard. If I want a Sim that lives in another town to sell things in front of her house, I can't do that?

Sorry for the delay in responding AND posting additional stuff- I'm swamped today and to make matters worse Photobucket has been down ALL DAY! Really, Photobucket. I'll use Tinypic tonight if nothing else when I get home.

@imhappy YOU CAN SELL things in your front yard with the table and the painting board- or as I tested out above pretty much ANYWHERE in ANYTOWN-lol! Just plop it down, fill the table inventory, select stock table and then select either "Yard Sale" or "Street Sale" whichever comes up based on where you are and Sims will arrive to buy! I don't know if I mentioned it above BUT you an also ADD YOUR OWN TABLE to the festivals while they are active! Like the spice festival, which is where I tried it and sell things then as well.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Thanks for the reply! Don Lothario is going to make a fortune off his dates :-)
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Hey, great read @JasonAnthonySterling :+1: lots of great points etc. Pity photobucket is down as I can't see your pics. I hope the links are preserved when it comes back on-line.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    @NZsimm3r All the links should be fine- lol- Photobucket goes down like this ALL THE TIME!
  • Options
    And so Photobucket is back and I am back with a pretty big CON: I spent a great deal of yesterday (of the time I had to play) working with this issue below. The map and specs lists the "penthouse" in the Arts District as 20x30 but... sigh, it's 17x28 (which would equate to a typical 19x30 lot)- meaning it's a building square on the grid off AND the roof was never built out over the balcony zone of the apartment below either, losing an entire chunk of the corner. It's not a huge deal if you are just building there (maybe) but it is if you are trying to place a lot from the gallery that builds from side to side OR if the lot contains build items in the missing corner as the game just erases whatever doesn't fit. OR if you are like me and pre-build an apartment based on the specs listed on the map before buying the EP and you spend a good deal of time trying to figure out why the lot is shearing off your wall and then getting plummed off about the matter. See the pictures below outlining the issue:

This one shows a pre-release apartment build I did, using the lot from side to side and the manner in which the side of the build was sheared off.

11-04-16_10-46-57nbspAM_zpswe5zsh6q.png

This is just a graphical illustration of the missing back corner over the balcony below. I drew the concentric boxes to show what ended up being erases when placed.

11-04-16_10-45-26nbspAM_zpsgbsrpt1i.png

Of course, this begs the question of why not simply mark the lot properly- no, it begs the question of why not simply make the lot the correct size and since it came pre-loaded with a penthouse I would assume it should have been discovered by EA/Maxis themselves and could have been corrected but wasn't- and by Deligracy herself for that matter since it's the lot she built upon. I caught the missing balcony roof part pretty quickly in fact, before the game released and that's why, already at that point I had built stopping a little short of where I thought it might be. Failing that it should have been marked properly in size. So a WARNING FOR ANYONE READING THIS: Download for this lot with the information above in mind OR look for builds that have maybe been hash tagged with this lots name, assuming anyone does that.

Better stuff to come....
  • Options
    GramcrackersGramcrackers Posts: 1,162 Member
    Have enjoyed reading your game-play story. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    A couple of more Cons as I've been working on the penthouses I'm adding to the game: No foundation usage in penthouses. Again, it’s the sort of thing that can exist in RL and I don’t see any real reason to exclude it save running out of programming time on these lots. And not being able to use it creates problems. ANOTHER WARNING TO PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO DOWNLOAD FROM THE GALLERY: If the lot you chose to place on the Penthouse lot has a foundation the game will erase the foundation AND anything sitting lower than the foundation except for the pool, so anything on the ground (furniture, bar-be-que ect.) and it also created a weird programming glitch wherein the roof over a raised patio remained in place although the patio was now gone due to the absence of the foundation BUT then the roof couldn’t be deleted. An error message, relating to not being able to place the pool under terrain (?), popped up with every method I tried for deleting the floating roof. So just be mindful when downloading lots from the gallery.

Karaoke can’t be done as a career :'( - lol - but seriously it does worry me for the future of this feature. It is a cute “party” toy. I have been having loads of fun with it and it’ll be a neat addition to nightclubs but I think maybe when the newness wears off it’ll be ignored. It just doesn’t seem to lead to any real benefit, save singing skill that in the end also doesn’t provide a benefit. The animations seem somewhat limited to my eye as well which might also contribute to a stale feeling after a mid-range period of time passes. Sims also crowd the singer in the same way as with the DJ booth from GT but not as many at one time as in GT. That may be because there haven’t been many sims around. Even at night they tend to cluster the bar and mostly ignore the singer. As well, the Karaoke machine and singer does not count as music for the dance floors from GT :/ .

I'm going to drop a little positive into this Con post though, since it's the second in a row (lol) because I was really somewhat pleasantly shocked to see this below. It's just FX, I know and yeah you can go running through the building and catch up with someone BUT you do see sims walking back and forth through the elevated walkway. I really assumed it'd be empty. The FX team has done a very good job with this city and this is another example of realism that I'd expect to have been overlooked that was in fact included.

11-05-16_11-24-42nbspAM_zpsdxzxblox.png

Posting my next Pro column shortly- just loading pics and text...