Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Getting Stuck at Work/School - New Patch Update Issue

So my sims are showing as being at work/school when in fact they are home. The only solution I've found is to evict and then put them back in the house. This also happened when I was trying to age up a child and made her leave school early. However when this happened it showed that two things that she was still at school and the game was registering that she was still aging up although you could clearly see that she was already a teen, because of this I had to shut down the game w/o saving because I couldn't evict b/c the game was thinking that the child was still aging up.

This issue started happening after the update. Any permanent solution to this problem?

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,597 Member
    Hello
    I am sorry that you are having this issue.
    When it occurs, you can try to have them " leave work/school early".
    Try resetting them and see if that helps.
    Try taking them into CAS and back and see if that helps the issue.
    Another thing to try doing is to try having another sim that is in the household travel to another lot. Once that sim is on the other lot and you are controlling him, there will be icon on the portait of the sim that is at home. Click on " care for Self" and that may help to fix the issue.

To try to prevent it occurring again, repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder
  • Options
    AsselchenAsselchen Posts: 3 New Member
    Same issue here. It started after the patch. NOTHING seems to help, except saving the sim to the library, deleting it in game and then retrieving it back from the library. But I did that and the same bug happened again after 1 sim day, so that's also not a solution. Really frustrating.
  • Options
    Asselchen wrote: »
    Same issue here. It started after the patch. NOTHING seems to help, except saving the sim to the library, deleting it in game and then retrieving it back from the library. But I did that and the same bug happened again after 1 sim day, so that's also not a solution. Really frustrating.

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having this issue. Try repairing the game and resetting the sims 4 folder like I posted in the above post and see if that may help to prevent the issue occurring,
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »
    Asselchen wrote: »
    Try repairing the game and resetting the sims 4 folder like I posted in the above post and see if that may help to prevent the issue occurring,

That didn't do it for me. Again the bug reappeared the next sim day. I hope there will be a fix soon, otherwise the game is pretty much unplayable right now.
  • Options
    Hello @Asselchen
    If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if the issue is still there when your sim goes to work next time . If it has helped with the issue, put your mods/ CC back into the newly generated mods folder that is in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the causes of the problem.
  • Options
    Yup, that worked! Thank you! Somehow it didn't cross my mind to check this.
  • Options
    jalodejalode Posts: 2 New Member
    @rosemow that worked. Getting rid of the cc's. It didn't even occurs to me. Gracias!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    jalode wrote: »
    @rosemow that worked. Getting rid of the cc's. It didn't even occurs to me. Gracias!!!!!!! :D

You're welcome. :) I am glad that it worked .
  • Options
    CreedanceCreedance Posts: 4 New Member
    Okay, I have just recently started having this problem with my child sim(s) being glitched as at school when they're home and I have done all the things mention but it doesn't work. Reset sim tells me it can't find the sim. Traveling to different lots with that sim and with others does nothing as the only option that appears after traveling is to leave early. Telling them to come home early just says ___ is currently at school leaving early could lower performance blah blah blah, click yes and it still shows them as being "at school" when they're home. I've evicted and put back and the next sim day it happens again. I've repaired the game. I have no cc or mods or anything like that to remove. I didn't have this problem until I had my adult sim buy a vets office and work at it while the kids were at school. Is there anything else that can be done? Cause I'm about to just delete this family...
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Creedance wrote: »
    Okay, I have just recently started having this problem with my child sim(s) being glitched as at school when they're home and I have done all the things mention but it doesn't work. Reset sim tells me it can't find the sim. Traveling to different lots with that sim and with others does nothing as the only option that appears after traveling is to leave early. Telling them to come home early just says ___ is currently at school leaving early could lower performance blah blah blah, click yes and it still shows them as being "at school" when they're home. I've evicted and put back and the next sim day it happens again. I've repaired the game. I have no cc or mods or anything like that to remove. I didn't have this problem until I had my adult sim buy a vets office and work at it while the kids were at school. Is there anything else that can be done? Cause I'm about to just delete this family...

Hello @Creedance
    I am sorry that you are having this issue. It is similar to what simmers have posted about on this AHQ EA thread
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Sim-Home-from-Work-but-icon-still-grey/m-p/6608081#M57435
    You may like to post feedback on the thread.

Try first resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or " options " file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder
  • Options
    DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Hi @Creedance , Welcome to the forums! I started the thread on the AHQ site that @rosemow has referred you to. I'd love it if you could post your problem on that thread so the QA team could see it is happening in a game with a career other than a CL career. They may need another save to look at to help pinpoint what is causing this. They will post a request, if they do.

In the meantime, what fixes it for me is to travel to a community lot once all sims are home. After arriving, save and then exit the game. When you reload the save, the icon should be back to normal. Having said that, unfortunately, I think you will find it is an ongoing problem in that household because I think the glitch is related to the adult sim's career. Unless you want to consistently use the workaround to fix the problem but want to keep the family, try selling the clinic and putting the adult sim into a regular career. Avoid the CL career choices, as they seem to cause the same issue. If you have GTW, one of those active careers should be okay. I have a doctor in my game and haven't had the problem.
  • Options
    @rosemow Resetting my sims folder sold my vet clinic and reset everything but my saved family. My kid was still grayed out as though he was at school. @DOLLDRMS1 Okay I will post there because nothing seems to be permanently fixing the issue. Thank you for the help guys!
  • Options
    Creedance wrote: »
    @rosemow Resetting my sims folder sold my vet clinic and reset everything but my saved family. My kid was still grayed out as though he was at school. @DOLLDRMS1 Okay I will post there because nothing seems to be permanently fixing the issue. Thank you for the help guys!

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having this issue :(
  • Options
    @Creedance I, too, am sorry you are still encountering an issue with the child sim. If I understand your post correctly, after you reset your folders you copied back the folders rosemow told you to and didn't sell the vet clinic until you played again, correct? Also, your post doesn't indicate for sure that traveling to a community lot, saving after arrival and then exiting the game and reloading the save fixed the greyed out icon. Does it? If not, then I'm at a loss for a temporary fix but if so, let's try one more thing to fix your family.

If the workaround is successful, after you get everybody back home with no greyed out icon, once again save your game and then exit. Open your The Sims 4 folder in your My Documents. In it you will see a file called localthumbcache.package. Delete that file without worry as it will regenerate when you next play. After deleting it, repair your game through Origin and then play. Hopefully, that will take care of the issue.
  • Options
    @DOLLDRMS1 I didn't sell my vet clinic it was already sold when I reloaded the game after following the steps given by @rosemow. Kinda like it did when I evicted my household and put them back in for a one sim day fix. I have traveled to another lot with mom and the twins and saved, exited, reloaded and still he was greyed out, even upon returning home. I traveled again and left him behind and told him to come home and it wouldn't bring him home from the other lot. I had to travel back to get him. It only seems to be the male twin/child who is a vampire that just won't fix. The sister did it once and that fixed itself the next school day when it was time to go. It registered she was supposed to leave I guess and she ended up "returning home" from school instead and was showing as home for the whole day (saying next school day in 24 hrs so no performance was lost) and the next day she went to school and came back as normal. She hasn't gotten stuck since, but for whatever reason it won't do the same for him. I have repaired the game and still nothing. So I have no idea what it is doing but I don't think I'm going to be keeping this family, unfortunately. I don't know why it's being so stupid and I'm just too frustrated with it all at this point to continue dealing with it. I thank you for trying though!
  • Options
    @Creedance , Thank you for posting on the AHQ thread. Both crinrict and I responded to you there but now SimQA_Icarus has also responded indicating they have been able to reproduce the issue and are investigating. That should lead to a fix at some point and end the sim home but not home problem.

I'm sorry you lost the family but understand your frustration with the issue. I have felt the need to just let a family go because of problems myself. Fortunately, that's not a common decision that has to be made. I hope your new game goes smoothly!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I am sorry that you had this issue and may have to not keep the family @Creedance :( The Developers are investigating. They would like to have your save game if you would be willing to upload it to them. It would be very helpful for them as they do the investigations.
    Post edited by rosemow on