Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you keep track of your sims?

jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
I also enjoy doing genealogy of my family and I notice that they use a lot of census records to keep track of the population. I did the same sort of thing with my sims so I can keep track of them and who marries who, who got divorced, etc. So I made in my word program a modified census sheet I made a table in word and labeled it with the different towns, and then I made 5 columns and put in Name, Residence, Status, Career, and Family (who lives with them). I then put all the names in and the other information. I am thinking of modifying a Family Group Sheet where I will list traits and aspirations and skills, so that I have a running record of those, I can update them in Word as needed, I can print out what I need also this way. I will keep the information in a spiral notebook and see how much I use it. Otherwise I have a hard time keeping track of who is who, as I play in rotation. Tell me how you keep your game organized. I would love to hear what you do. Here is a link to my census https://1drv.ms/w/s!Agx9suO_Y0CUg3ubLWSy7HfJV8u6
Post edited by jimmysnan on

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,572 Member
    edited September 2016
    I've made pages in order for me to keep track of my Legacy Challenge family; points earned along the way, etc. The Founder; founder's wife; heir and other children called 'spares', traits, aspirations, careers, and any other points they acquire along the way. Party awards, et al.

If I'm playing a rotation style game, I make a sheet that lists the families with the letters of the days of a week at the top and blank squares beneath each day, about four to six weeks in all. I then fill in a square using a highlighter, color of my choosing to indicate a 'round'. I generally try to play each household three Sim days, stopping as closely as possible around midnight. Then I move on to the next household on the list. Once all households have been played, I choose a new color. That way, if I have to stop gaming, in the middle of a 'round, I know just where to pick up the next time. This saved me from being stuck in neutral when I couldn't choose which household to play. Lose lots of gaming time stuck like that.

I like you're idea of keeping track of your Sims (since I'm also a Genealogist) but I'm usually so full up with that stuff when I finally decide it's time to 'relax' and power up my game, I think that were I to 'follow' them that closely, I'd go nuts. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    I've made pages in order for me to keep track of my Legacy Challenge family; points earned along the way, etc. The Founder; founder's wife; heir and other children called 'spares', traits, aspirations, careers, and any other points they acquire along the way. Party awards, et al.

If I'm playing a rotation style game, I make a sheet that lists the families with the letters of the days of a week at the top and blank squares beneath each day, about four to six weeks in all. I then fill in a square using a highlighter, color of my choosing to indicate a 'round'. I generally try to play each household three Sim days, stopping as closely as possible around midnight. Then I move on to the next household on the list. Once all households have been played, I choose a new color. That way, if I have to stop gaming, in the middle of a 'round, I know just where to pick up the next time. This saved me from being stuck in neutral when I couldn't choose which household to play. Lose lots of gaming time stuck like that.

I like you're idea of keeping track of your Sims (since I'm also a Genealogist) but I'm usually so full up with that stuff when I finally decide it's time to 'relax' and power up my game, I think that were I to 'follow' them that closely, I'd go nuts. ;)

Yes, I am worried about not keeping up with this system after I play with the game for awhile. It takes time, and I will most likely want to play instead of using the time to record. But I am hoping that I can keep up. The genealogy papers for my real-life family are piling up and I am playing a game instead of recording, this may be what happens here. We shall see. I like the highlighter idea.
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    Theres a great site called theplumtree? i think thats what its called you.... you can add pictures, traits, names etc etc
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    LunaNova wrote: »
    Theres a great site called theplumtree? i think thats what its called you.... you can add pictures, traits, names etc etc

Thanks I will go and check that out. I do like mine as I am used to it through doing genealogy for my real life family. But thanks I will give it a try!
  • Options
    chidoriaidachidoriaida Posts: 282 Member
    I use Excel to keep track of the sims since Sims 2. It works great for me.
  • Options
    I use Excel to keep track of the sims since Sims 2. It works great for me.

Can you tell me what you do like how do you keep track do you have charts and things for everything?
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    In TS2 I used to keep record of the number, gender, age and aspirations of sims in each neighbourhood. I used spreadsheets. In TS4 I haven't felt the need to track down my sims so I just play. Ok for my legacy challenge I downloaded a ready made exel to fill in. It's handy but also making me focus too much on getting points.
  • Options
    In TS2 I used to keep record of the number, gender, age and aspirations of sims in each neighbourhood. I used spreadsheets. In TS4 I haven't felt the need to track down my sims so I just play. Ok for my legacy challenge I downloaded a ready made exel to fill in. It's handy but also making me focus too much on getting points.

That's interesting. I might just leave out the points, all I am interested in is the traits, skills, and aspirations. I would not care if they got all the skills even.
  • Options
    FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    I have the Plum Tree family tree and I keep it updated with photos and relationships. I don't bother recording traits or other details though as I have too many sims. I am pleased to have this as the game's family tree has deleted two of my dead sims.

I also have a spreadsheet which I list my sims and their children. I keep track here of how much money each household has, which town they live in, age of the sim and the other milestones of interest to me such as portrait painted, violin/piano skills, A in school etc.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I have never once ever kept track of sims, or their points, in any of the games, from 1 to now.
  • Options
    Figwit wrote: »
    I have the Plum Tree family tree and I keep it updated with photos and relationships. I don't bother recording traits or other details though as I have too many sims. I am pleased to have this as the game's family tree has deleted two of my dead sims.

I also have a spreadsheet which I list my sims and their children. I keep track here of how much money each household has, which town they live in, age of the sim and the other milestones of interest to me such as portrait painted, violin/piano skills, A in school etc.

That is another thing I think I will keep track of how much money they have as I do not want my sims to get too wealthy too fast. I have to use the freerealestate cheat to get them bigger houses for the families, as I am re-making all the towns.
  • Options
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I have never once ever kept track of sims, or their points, in any of the games, from 1 to now.

I guess I am just 🐸🐸🐸🐸 like that. I have to have everything so I can see it.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited September 2016
    I have spreadsheets for some of my games. I usually update it for each family before I rotate to the next one. I like to know who has certain skills/hobbies/talents even when I'm not playing them, in case I want to hire someone in a business, or invite them out somewhere etc.

The TS2 one has so much info due to things like hobbies, turn ons/offs, talents, businesses etc. It's huge. I am doing a Megahood Rotation with original sims, adding in bin and new sims every so often. I chose the order by putting household name list into a randomiser.

This is just 11/82 and the number is getting higher as teens move to uni (their info gets moved to bottom when they move to uni, or deleted when they die. (I added Talent and Orientation columns later so top ones are empty)

f51924c882.png
    4e19a52e48.png

• Options
    MistyDoveMistyDove Posts: 695 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm old school, I write it all down in a journal. I just like paper and pen more than electronic stuff but using an excel sheet would probably be so much neater. I'm considering using plum tree though as I've heard great things about it!
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    What is it really called? I don't see "theplumtree" lol What word is plum replacing?
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    MistyDoveMistyDove Posts: 695 Member
    @BlkBarbiegal
    It's actually not censoring anything, it really is called Plum Tree the link is here http://theplumtreeapp.com/
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Ahh! Thank you very much. I left "app" out. :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I keep spreadsheets, but mine aren't as full as @EmmaVane 's - I keep less info per Sim most of the time (it depends on how I've decided to set up the save - a lot of what I use an initial spreadsheet for is making sure I've got a Sim balance I'm happy with). I do always like to keep track of who lives in which world (so I can find them without lots of map-switching), and who has NPC jobs (so I don't start playing as them). In my aging-on save, I also note what age Sims are and if they're available, because I am The Great Matchmaker and Creator of Children. This is all part of "fun" for me because I'm just like that, I guess.

I did start a database for one save, but that was mostly for an excuse to learn how to use my new software. And I have a genealogy started on Plumtree, replacing the genealogy tracking I'd used before, but I'm a Very Slow Simmer, so it's tiny.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    HannahcleolaHannahcleola Posts: 252 Member
    Ive kept notes on my sims since TS2. Things like hair color, eye color, skin tone, fav color, astrological signs, twins etc (i wish TS4 would bring back fav colors and signs :( ) I enjoy seeing how the genetics will be passed down throughout the family legacy. I write it all in my gaming notebook :love: my hubby always teased me for keeping a gaming notebook, nice to know im not alone! Lol I also have a baby name book I use for Sims names :blush:
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    What is it really called? I don't see "theplumtree" lol What word is plum replacing?

Yeah, it's an actual plum. Like the fruit.
    So it's a pun, because it's a family tree site.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    I use family echo to keep track of family trees and write little notes in the bio section. I tried the plum tree but it seemed like extra work compared to family echo.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I use Family Echo to create my family trees, and to add their bios, careers, and hobbies, among a few other minor things. Then I use the Plum Tree, for adding traits and aspirations. I'm thinking of using that spreadsheet idea, though, because I'd like to start keeping track of more in-depth things, such as their skills and ages.

Since I play with ageing off, I do write down all of my Sims' names in order of when they were born (as well as what generation they're a part of), so when I feel that it's time to start ageing them up, I'll know who goes first.

(And just for fun, here's what you can see of my family tree :p ):
    Screenshot%20310.png
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I have spreadsheets for some of my games. I usually update it for each family before I rotate to the next one. I like to know who has certain skills/hobbies/talents even when I'm not playing them, in case I want to hire someone in a business, or invite them out somewhere etc.

The TS2 one has so much info due to things like hobbies, turn ons/offs, talents, businesses etc. It's huge. I am doing a Megahood Rotation with original sims, adding in bin and new sims every so often. I chose the order by putting household name list into a randomiser.

This is just 11/82 and the number is getting higher as teens move to uni (their info gets moved to bottom when they move to uni, or deleted when they die. (I added Talent and Orientation columns later so top ones are empty)

f51924c882.png
    4e19a52e48.png

Really like this! Can I use some of it?
  • Options
    MistyDove wrote: »
    I'm old school, I write it all down in a journal. I just like paper and pen more than electronic stuff but using an excel sheet would probably be so much neater. I'm considering using plum tree though as I've heard great things about it!

I looked at the plum tree site, I find it confusing. I have to look into it more. I also have to join, I do not like joining too many things, as then I get too much spam e-mails all the time, as the e-mails either get taken from those sites or they get sold. I will check into it more.
  • Options
    Ive kept notes on my sims since TS2. Things like hair color, eye color, skin tone, fav color, astrological signs, twins etc (i wish TS4 would bring back fav colors and signs :( ) I enjoy seeing how the genetics will be passed down throughout the family legacy. I write it all in my gaming notebook :love: my hubby always teased me for keeping a gaming notebook, nice to know im not alone! Lol I also have a baby name book I use for Sims names :blush:

I too use a baby book for sims names, and a Building plans book for building houses, if I can get the houses to look like the book I am happy, I also have a garden design book and a decorating book, so I try to make the garden and furniture placements like the books. I purchase these at thrift stores and used book places most are fifty cents to a dollar, so not a bad price. I also have a notebook but that is not just a gaming notebook I use it as a computer notebook and put all my computer problems or new sites in I then transfer the problems to another notebook that I give to my computer guy when I take the computer in to be checked.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top