Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please help - missing baby!

Two of my Sims (Jupiter and Benjamin) tried for a baby and I heard the chimes after they'd WooHooed. I was playing other families and when I went back to check on them, their baby had been born but she is missing!

Jupiter and Benjamin both have the "It's a girl" moodlet, with about 9 hours left to go. I can see the baby in their family trees; she is a vampire ghost called Malinda...but she is nowhere else to be found. She isn't on the family side bar or in the list of the knows Sims for Jupiter, Benjamin or their older son, Lee. Neither of the adults have Malinda's gravestone and it isn't at the graveyard either.

What happened to her? Did she die off screen? How can I get her back please? This is so horrid :(

Comments

• Options
    Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    I have heard of this before and I believe there is a naas mod that can help. Perhaps @igazor can help with the details.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    She could have been taken away by the child services social worker while you were playing elsewhere.

But besides that without mods, TS3 is not conducive to rotational play. It was designed to be, but things like this happen all of the time. As soon as you make another household active, anything can happen to the one you just left behind. In many cases, the game will emigrate (cull) sims, including babies, out of the game permanently when it thinks the town is overpopulated even when it really isn't. This isn't supposed to happen with sims you have played actively or those related to your currently active household, but it happens anyway.

A placeholder in the family tree does not mean the sim is still in your world (game).

Mods such as NRaas StoryProgression do not allow culling/emigration, at least not by default. SP also offers the tools many players use to protect the households they wish to play in turn from other unwanted forms of progression. Depending on how much time has passed, a MasterController Reset might bring the baby back but even that won't be effective if the sim is really no longer in your game.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Awww, that would be a right bummer :( Is the MasterController Reset the same as MS reset lot? I just tried that but it didn't help. I tried resetting my baby but no luck there either and she isn't showing up in the MC list of Sims in town (even though many homeless Sims and staff Sims, like barmen/women are).

I'll try to recover her in Overwatch but if I can't get her back, I'll just pretend she was stillborn :( Thanks so much for helping though, @Celticgamer0 and @igazor.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Usually if you quit the lot - load another lot or sometning - then go back, the baby is there waiting.
  • Options
    I tried that too but she didn't show up.
  • Options
    It won't necessarily be in the bassinet you had ready, did you look for a new bassinet in weird parts of the house?
  • Options
    She isn't showing up anywhere, not even on the side bar where the other family members are. I checked the crib but it was empty. I looked round the house for a gravestone (in case she had died on her home lot) but there were no graves either. It's weird...like she's a phantom baby.
  • Options
    Oh right I had the wrong end of the stick I thought she WAS showing in the family bar
  • Options
    No worries, it's all good :) I'm going to try and recover her with Overwatch now.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Even if there was a crib on the lot, the baby wouldn't necessarily go in the crib if it came back.

You said you quit the lot but is that the same as evicting them in edit world and moving them back in? Sometimes that will bring back missing sims. And you said she wasn't listed in the sims from add sim with MC? Did you check every option? When I was trying to get my cats back, they were in a very unlikely area (can't remember now what it was, but I remember thinking, "that wasn't right").
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    From the sound of it, I think it might be expecting too much for Overwatch to be able to help in this case (the baby not even showing up in the family's PortraitPanel). Your only recourse might be to revert to an earlier save from before she was born or before she went missing and re-play things, if you have such an earlier save available.

You could also use MC's Instant Baby function to generate a new baby for the two parents right away. Not the same thing of course, it won't be the same baby, but just an option. (MC Cheats module required)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @ChelleJo, I tried evicting the family and merging them with a separate household but no luck.

@igazor, I've got an earlier save but I can't remember if it's before or after Jupiter got pregnant. I'll check it and see, though if she isn't pregnant, I'd rather play that one because it's awful seeing the baby on the family tree but not being able to find it, lol.

The really bizarre thing is, when I first missed the baby and looked on the family tree, Jupiter knew one of her traits (athletic) and now, during my attempted debugging, Jupiter knows the other (loves the outdoors). It's almost like a totally invisible baby xD

I'm probably going to download MC Cheats next because I want to make some Sims be related to others too.

I've got to log off a bit now but I'll try again later and keep everybody updated.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited September 2016
    I have big games and play rotationally. My sim families often have babies and multiple toddlers. It is normal for me to activate a household and find one of more of the babies and toddlers missing. They don't have icons on the left of the screen either. In almost every case I get them back by clicking on the roof of their home and use master controller to reset the Sims in the household. The missing babies and toddlers usually appear in that list and I reset them and they pop back into the family.

The one time this hasn't worked I did something else because I couldn't think of that else to try. I used master controller to add sim to the household. I chose to add the sim from the home world by age. This gave me a list of toddlers in the home world and I found her in that list.

I hope you find a way to get your baby back.
  • Options
    Ow, sorry that you lose babies and toddlers! I tried adding in a Sim from age but it only showed the other two toddlers in my game (Nicky and Clara).

How do I reset all Sims in the house please? It that the same as "reset lot"?
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    @plushtrap_107 Have you tried evicting the family to the clipboard in edit town then placing them back into the house? I deleted a horse once and that is how I got it back so I could get rid of it the proper way rather than deleting. Try the clipboard thing.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Reset Lot will reset the Sims too.

But I usually see Sim in the list of options when I click on the roof and choose NRAAS Master Controller. Then I see another list and I choose Sim from that list and then I find reset sim from there. It might be under advanced which would be the next choice after choosing sim.
  • Options
    @Jessa_Dakkar, I tried that yep, but still no baby :(

@Karritz, I just tried that and I found the family list but only Jupiter, Benjamin and their toddler son, Lee, show up.

• Options
    Well, I don't really know what to suggest as I'm relatively new to mods.

If desperate, do you have an old save you can pick the baby up from and save them to the library - even if you have to use a random other sim from your library to save them with and then introduce the baby back to the current save? I did something like that once ages ago to get my baby sim's imaginary friend back into the game. It worked then. If you find you need to get rid of the other random sim then you can use MasterController to totally annihilate them. I just remembered how I did it - because I had just the baby with the doll in my library - I used NRAAS Porter mod and only packed the one baby. Then I could unpack it - probably into an unoccupied house - and then merge it back with the original household. Use Master Controller to fix the family tree - Add Child or Add Parent sort of thing.

The only other suggestion I can think of is to make a new baby or toddler with the same traits etc (if you can remember them) and put her in with the household and fix the family tree.
  • Options
    @Karritz, I went back to my old save to look but Jupiter hadn't got pregnant then. I'm going to save much more often from now on and also save after any female Sim gets pregnant, just in case.

I'm playing for 3 game days now, to see if the baby somehow ages up and returns as a toddler. I think she may be dead/culled though :( I think it will come down to adding a new baby; I've seen an option in Master Controller to do that.

Thanks lots for helping though and thank you to everybody who has helped :)
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    @plushtrap_107 This is a long shot but there's the option to Add Sim. I think that's the way I recovered some long dead missing sims from my family tree. On the MasterController family tree if you click the baby can you navigate to Status? It might show a location.
  • Options
    @coco, IT WORKED! I'VE GOT HER BACK :D

Sorry for all the caps but I am SO stoked! I'd given up on recovering her; I'd *just* made her a memorial out in the back garden of her home.

Blimey, I can't even remember exactly what I did it now but she's there, in the family and waiting outside the house for her Dad to pick her up!

Poor little thing, when I looked at her personal info, it said she had died of thirst and was an "Out of towner".
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    @plushtrap_107 YAY!!!!! I'm so glad you got your baby back! <3
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Ouch! Died of thirst...Poor baby :( Glad you got her back!
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    @plushtrap_107 So happy for you! I thought that she must of been in the game somewhere because you still had her picture in the family tree. Not sure if you have StoryProgression or not but it's definitely a must have mod to prevent this sort of thing happening again. I'm really glad you managed to save her though :smiley:
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Thanks so much guys! Also, thanks so much for helping and being patient while I scoured Bridgeport for the little tyke ;)

I'm going to download StoryProgression tomorrow and also MC Cheats. (It's after 2 in the morning her, boohoo, I can't play any more). I'm really impressed by how much the mods help my game, by fixing bugs and letting the save file run smoothly.

Thanks again everybody :)

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top