Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't install any of my store content any more

Here is what happened. I was very unhappy with the way my origin-based sims 3 game was functioning, so I bought a complete set of sims 3 including all expansion and stuff packs, and they are all non-Origin, disc-based software. I loaded it on my laptop which has no Internet access. I had spent a fortune buying Sims 3 store content and I figured I would transfer the download folder over to my laptop, where I could finally play the game the way I wanted to. No such luck. Unbeknownst to me, by the time I downloaded all my store content, it had been changed in its programming, and when I went to install it on my laptop, it gave me an error message saying the installation failed and I needed up-to-date software (meaning I either update to the latest version or I don't get it to work). I don't want to let that laptop Sims 3 update past 1.67 because it is finally running (more or less) the way I want it to, and with later updates on my other computer which used to have an Origin-based game, that later version of the game had so many problems it was virtually unplayable. I thought it might help if I loaded the earlier version on this computer (the one that used to have the Origin game) and I tried to download again. No such luck. When I transferred the files to the laptop, the installation still failed. I spent a fortune on store content--I own almost the entire store, and it's extremely unfair to have to do without it in order to have a game that works. Here's what I'm asking. There has to be somebody out there who is still playing the 1.67 version (because it works so much better) and who has all or almost all store content. I am scrupulously honest and would not be asking for something I had not paid for, but if someone could share those files, I would be enormously grateful. It's hard to decorate a tomb without all that stuff, at least to decorate it well. I would be happy to provide a complete list of my content that I have purchased. Someone, please take pity and help me. Thank you so much!

Comments

• Options
    napoleonwrassenapoleonwrasse Posts: 310 Member
    edited August 2016
    Store content files are attached to a single account which is why they can't be installed on another persons computer without sharing the account. This also means that sharing store files is considered pirating and is against EA's EULA and forum rules.

But your store content should be able to install and there are solutions to get it installed. That error does not necessarily mean you need to update to 1.69. You shouldn't have to with discs except if your base game is issued after September 2012 (I believe that's the date) because that is when EA forced the game to be tied to Origin.

Some things you could try if your base game is from before that (though you may have tried them):

Repatch the game using the 1.67 Superpatch sometimes the game doesn't get patched correctly.

Delete the missingdeps file your DCCache folder (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/DCCache) because it sometimes corrupted and can cause issues with the launcher/installing. It's safe to delete as it will regenerate itself.

Delete the Content Patch folder (Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ContentPatch). This will force the game to redownload and patch the store content/launcher.

Start a clean sims 3 folder.

Try installing using this method. There is a helpful video on page 12.

When installing, the ebc files in the DCCache folder need to be less than ~200,000 KB. If the files are too large this can cause problems. Also, the launcher can only handle installing a few items at a time. So installing everything at one or in large batches can also cause issues.

If none of these things are a factor when you were installing or you already tried them, you can try using the Download Dashboard in game as sometimes that works better for people when installing via the launcher does not work. Just make sure to install in small batches and keep the ebc files under the ~200,000 KB limit.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
  • Options
    TimevesselTimevessel Posts: 95 Member

You wrote:
    Store content files are attached to a single account which is why they can't be installed on another persons computer without sharing the account. This also means that sharing store files is considered pirating and is against EA's EULA and forum rules.

I'm not sure if you were saying I was pirating or not--perhaps not--but I wasn't. The disc game is on my laptop computer that is totally offline and doesn't even have online capabilities. It also is my computer just like this one. It just happens to be a laptop. I can't download anything to that computer--it's not connected to the internet. Secondly, I was only going to transfer my store content that I paid for to that game on that offline computer (download on this one and transfer to that one). There would only be one copy of my store content. I'm not even playing my Origin game any more--I deleted it--but I actually bought and paid for two complete sets of the Sims 3 game, and as far as the Sims 3 base game, I think I have paid for 5 or 6 copies--some Origin-based and some not, and I also have several more extras of expansion and stuff packs.

You wrote:
    But your store content should be able to install and there are solutions to get it installed. That error does not necessarily mean you need to update to 1.69. You shouldn't have to with discs except if your base game is issued after September 2012 (I believe that's the date) because that is when EA forced the game to be tied to Origin.

Thank goodness. I hope I can get it to work. My base game on the offline laptop is 2009. In fact, I managed to get the entire set of Sims 3 packs that allow disc loading and not being on Origin. I don't even have an "account" for that separate offline game, but it is legit. There is no way to connect to online to register it, although I guess I could call, but I would like it on my same account, because that is where I own all that store content. I just want the store content transferred to my other computer.

You wrote:
    Some things you could try if your base game is from before that (though you may have tried them):

Repatch the game using the 1.67 Superpatch sometimes the game doesn't get patched correctly.

I tried the superpatch 1.67 on this computer with one of the disc-based Sims 3 games I own, and the installation of store content still failed.

You wrote:
    Delete the missingdeps file your DCCache folder (Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/DCCache) because it sometimes corrupted and can cause issues with the launcher/installing. It's safe to delete as it will regenerate itself.

You wrote:
    Delete the Content Patch folder (Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ContentPatch). This will force the game to redownload and patch the store content/launcher.

I cannot delete the content patch folder, because the laptop is not online-capable. The game cannot redownload and patch the store content/launcher. It used to be possible to patch the store content manually, but I cannot find how to do that any more. Do you know how?

You wrote:
    Start a clean sims 3 folder.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. Could you clarify? Just for the discussion, though, I don't think the game loaded badly or the 1.67 superpatch, because I tried it again on this computer and had the same problem.

You wrote:
    Try installing using this method. There is a helpful video on page 12.

There may be some helpful info in that--I will check further--but I actually developed my own way to avoid duplications. And truthfully, my laptop won't run all the content anyway. I just wanted to install certain items for the particular character I am using, then when I get another character, install what I need for them.

You wrote:
    When installing, the ebc files in the DCCache folder need to be less than ~200,000 KB. If the files are too large this can cause problems. Also, the launcher can only handle installing a few items at a time. So installing everything at one or in large batches can also cause issues.

I could check the ebc files in the DCCache folder, but I was only trying to install a few files, one at a time It would not have exceeded that limit.

You wrote:
    If none of these things are a factor when you were installing or you already tried them, you can try using the Download Dashboard in game as sometimes that works better for people when installing via the launcher does not work. Just make sure to install in small batches and keep the ebc files under the ~200,000 KB limit.

As I mentioned above, the download dashboard would be impossible, because that computer is not online.

Thanks for your response.

• Options
    One more thing. I'm new to doing all this manually. If there is a way to patch store content manually that would be great. If not, would saying yes to having the EA download manager when loading the disc game on this computer solve the problem perhaps? I didn't know if that still worked or what it was or what. But if it updates the game on this computer, that won't help getting that update to the other computer. Do you know what I mean?
  • Options
    Oh no. I wasn't saying you were pirating. I hope I didn't offend you. I am very sorry if I did. I just meant in general sharing store files with another account can be considered that. I just don't want you to get in any trouble or something for asking about it.

Unfortunately there is no manual store patch that I know of. Download manager was replaced by Origin and is basically the same thing.

A clean folder is where you move the current Sims 3 folder to the desktop and then launch the game to regenerate a new one. But that might not be helpful since it seems like the issue might be a online or account problem. My apologies for not quite understanding that and the offline issue originally.

So to be clear there's no way to connect to the internet?

Since you are knowledgeable in the best way to install store content that's probably not the problem. So those other solutions are probably not useful.

As you mentioned you might want to contact EA via live chat or phone because it could be that since store content is linked to the old base game reigstered on your account it won't install with the new games on your offline laptop because it is a different base game and so the store content is not linked to it. What you could do is contact EA and see if there's anyway to register the new base game to your account instead of the old one or (not ideal) create a new account and register the new base game then transfer your store content to that account. EA help is very good at account problems so if this is the problem it might be worth a try.

Then you could perhaps install the new base game (if you haven't already) on the online computer and make a clean folder on it. Then install the store content, and store patch and then just transfer the DCCache, DCBackup, and Content Patch folders to the offline laptop as was your plan.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
  • Options
    You wrote:
    Then you could perhaps install the new base game (if you haven't already) on the online computer and make a clean folder on it. Then install the store content, and store patch and then just transfer the DCCache, DCBackup, and Content Patch folders to the offline laptop as was your plan.

How do I store patch then? (without going through Origin and without updating past 1.67)
  • Options
    You wrote:
    Oh no. I wasn't saying you were pirating. I hope I didn't offend you. I am very sorry if I did. I just meant in general sharing store files with another account can be considered that. I just don't want you to get in any trouble or something for asking about it.

That's why I was asking for someone to share their 1.67 store content (only the items that I bought). I was hoping someone working for EA might do that, or someone who used to work for them who still has contact with them. Also, anyone willing to help is more than welcome to verify that I own the material with EA--whatever we would have to work out to do that. I am very poor. I had to save for a very long time to buy all that store content, and this is not fair at all. It hurts. Hundreds of dollars down the drain. I deserve my content on whatever computer I wish to run it on and with whatever version of the game I wish.

I tried EA chat. They were totally not listening and not helpful. Their solution was to go to an Origin game and update to the latest update. That person said it was related to the fact that my game has not had the latest update. That doesn't mean they were right, of course. My past experience is that the advice I have gotten from them is usually incorrect or incomplete and mostly not helpful (through the official EA Help) which is why I am here. I am asking for someone to help me with some files. This is not just a legal issue, it is a moral one, and I am in the right morally. I know that there are some good and knowledgeable people working for EA--I have talked with some of them. All it takes is one. But I am much more likely to find one here than through EA Help.

I am begging someone to help.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    As long as you are online you can get the store patch. It should download automatically when you click the downloads tab. I am on 1.67 and have gotten the store content patch without Origin or updating.

I'm sorry that EA was not helpful. Usually with account issues they are. I don't know if any of the Gurus can help because they usually just direct to customer service and they are the only EA representatives here.

I agree that it should work with any game version but unfortunately EA has set up a system where that's not possible.

Which is why to me it seems like your issue is account related and that's why you are getting errors. Store content is registered/linked with a specific account through a registered base game. Since you have two different base games the content is only linked with the first base game and so will not install on the other computer. This could be why it's giving you errors. You could try doubling checking with EA if this is how store content works and if so see if they have a solution to connect the second base game with your store account. They would be the only ones to link the store content and give it to you I'm afraid because it has to be linked. So the only option might be to contact them again.

I have never had good luck with EA fixing specific store errors but have had luck with them fixing account issues that could cause the error. So if you want you could try asking about the above without mentioning the specific error and see if that goes better.

As for giving the content the issue is not that you are on 1.67 it's that it is not the same registered base game as your account. Therefore you will probably run into the same error with those files as well.
  • Options
    Thanks much. I will give it another go as far as contacting EA. I appreciate all your help.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    No problem. I'm happy to help. I really hope you get it worked out. :)
  • Options
    DarkSolitude-XDarkSolitude-X Posts: 5 New Member
    I don't mean to necro this thread, but I had the same issue, and I'd rather not pollute the forum with a same question. Just to start, I keep my store content backed up to a flash drive. I originally downloaded from Windows 7 (same hardware, different OS), trying to install in Windows 10 gave me the little yellow box, and a installation failed message. I copied my sim3pak file to the downloads directory in the sims 3 directory in documents.

I haven't tried nuking Windows 10 and reinstalling Windows 7 yet (I did redownload from the store, and all was resolved btw, so all is good). I just wanted to ask for future reference, if the store content is tied to OS/Hardware checksum, or what. I am asking this because, if the store ever goes the way of the Sims 2 Store, then I want to make sure that my purchase Sims 3 content can still be accessed. So.... is the store content tied to a sys build/checksum? And why did I get a installation failed message when I tried to install my backed up copy?
  • Options
    I'm not sure why it would fail due to OS. I do know that store content is tied to the specific base game that is registered to your sims 3 account, but I do not know about hardware or OS. I personally upgraded to Windows 10 and didn't have any issues installing store content and I also installed it on a second computer too. So it does not seem like it is tied to OS or hardware, just the specific base game.

Because of how the launcher is, there are numerous reasons why store content can fail to install. So I am not sure what it would be in your case.

Just as a side note another way backup your store content is to keep the files in the DCCache folder. The ones ending in .ebc are the store content. When you reinstall or create a new folder you can just move those files over without reinstalling the store content. I would still keep a backup of the simpacks, but it's a nice secondary backup and time saver.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    edited October 2016
    @napoleonwrasse When you add backed up store content to a new game it has to be the same version. There are two versions, disc and digital. If you download store content and you have your game installed from discs, you get the disc version. If you download store content and your game was installed by digital download, you get the digital version. If you try to put backed up store content from one version into another version folder, it will not work. You'll have to download the new version.
  • Options
    @ZeeGee I didn't realize that. Thanks for the information. I always play with discs and have no plans to use digital so it works for me. But if somehow I did use digital you are saying I would have to redownload all the store content again? Just out of curiosity is it worth making a backup of digital and disc?
  • Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    @ZeeGee I didn't realize that. Thanks for the information. I always play with discs and have no plans to use digital so it works for me. But if somehow I did use digital you are saying I would have to redownload all the store content again? Just out of curiosity is it worth making a backup of digital and disc?

I have Sims 3 installed on several different computers, two are the digital download from Origin version, the rest are all from DVD, with the base game from 2011 and therefore not dependant on Origin at all. I use the same Store files to all of them, and it has worked fine so far.

When I first started using downloaded Store objects I always installed them via the Launcher, but then I tried the other much faster method, to just copy the files in the DCCache folder and transferring them to my other computer, and it worked perfectly and saved me 4-5 hours of rather tedious work. :)
  • Options

@napoleonwrasse I had Origin digital downloads of the games and the store content. When I changed over to all discs (to avoid 1.69) I tried copying my store backup files into the new folder. The game saw the files because the name appeared in the launcher but there was no preview picture in the launcher and the content did not show up in game. I finally found a thread where Ciane explained the different versions.

So yes, I have a backup of both versions in case for whatever reason I do have to go digital some day. If you have two different computers to play with maybe give it a try and see if your different games recognize the ebc files. Mine didn't.
  • Options
    @ZeeGee Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the downloaded store simpacks worked on both, just not the ebc files?
  • Options
    @napoleonwrasse Not dumb at all! Nothing worked for me. I had my dcbackup, dccache and downloads folder backed up. When the ebc files weren't recognized, I tried to reinstall from my downloads backups and it wouldn't work. The launcher would not install the Sims3packs. When I downloaded them again from the store, they installed fine.
  • Options
    @ZeeGee Ok. Thanks. I might have to make an additional backup then.
  • Options
    You're welcome. :)
  • Options
    @ZeeGee I just uninstalled all my disks and installed the origin basegame with 1.69 and was able to transfer my ebc files with no problems. So I wonder what the difference is between your experience and mine and it seems as well @SuzyCue72.
  • Options
    "ZeeGee wrote: »
    I had Origin digital downloads of the games and the store content. When I changed over to all discs (to avoid 1.69) I tried copying my store backup files into the new folder.

When you changed to the disc version, I assume that meant changing to a new base game serial code also?

@ZeeGee I just uninstalled all my disks and installed the origin basegame with 1.69 and was able to transfer my ebc files with no problems. So I wonder what the difference is between your experience and mine and it seems as well @SuzyCue72.

Could it be that Store item files must be linked to the same base game code to work? I registered my DVD base game code on thesims3.com several years ago, and downloaded the Origin digital version to another computer a couple of months ago, linked to the same code.

There are some more about this on Simsvip, but I must admit that I find the image on that page more confusing than clarifying.

• Options
    @SuzyCue72 Store content definitely is tied to a specific base game so that's probably it. Good thing too. I don't think I could deal with another redownloading.

That image is confusing but if it was accurate both you and I would not have been able to put the store content on both the digital and disk installs. (Unless they mean different base game by game version) Yet we can. So I guess if it works don't mess with it.
  • Options
    @SuzyCue72 The Simsvip link explains what happened to me. I went from digital downloads to disc downloads and they didn't work. It was the same game code.

@napoleonwrasse Well it's good you know now that your backups will work! I don't really understand why it works for some people and not for others.
  • Options
    @napoleonwrasse Hopefully we're right in this case and Wee Albet is wrong, because like you say, it would be a real nuisence to have to download all the Store content again in order to use it in the digital install of the game.

Lisa, one of the commenters below the article, seems to have the same experience with this as you and me.
  • Options
    I wonder if the 1.69 patch fixed the incompatibility between the different versions of store content?