Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Theory on The Sims 4 Seasons

Comments

• Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I would love a season EP with disasters! It would add so much to the gameplay!
  • Options
    WenzelWenzel Posts: 75 Member
    Indeed some basic form of weather is amongst the things that the game needs in my opinion (after an actual AI and an actual character for sims - without that I can't be bothered to play for more than a few minutes anyway).

I guess that rain and snow requires lots of effort, as you'd need to have some alernative wet/snowy textures for each and every single surface in the game? Also, you'd need some sort of code to adapt clothing somehow (unless you want to make sims walk around in their swim-suits even in snow). A new outfit-option for rain and snow.

So, as a quick patch to ease our pain and impatience, what about giving us a different lightening setting? Cloudy instead of sunny. Give us more diffused light and a grey colour-tone for the sky. You have given us a new light-system for free, so why not give us a cloudy sky for free! :)
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Wenzel wrote: »
    Indeed some basic form of weather is amongst the things that the game needs in my opinion (after an actual AI and an actual character for sims - without that I can't be bothered to play for more than a few minutes anyway).

I guess that rain and snow requires lots of effort, as you'd need to have some alernative wet/snowy textures for each and every single surface in the game? Also, you'd need some sort of code to adapt clothing somehow (unless you want to make sims walk around in their swim-suits even in snow). A new outfit-option for rain and snow.

So, as a quick patch to ease our pain and impatience, what about giving us a different lightening setting? Cloudy instead of sunny. Give us more diffused light and a grey colour-tone for the sky. You have given us a new light-system for free, so why not give us a cloudy sky for free! :)

It's not as though Sims have always worn things that make sense. But yeah I do agree with the rest.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    I dont think so because its technically not "seasons". You need weather for seasons. Not just sun and wind. You need rain, hail, snow/sleet, thunderstorms. Theyre just little themed packs that would go well with them.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2016
    Neia wrote: »
    @Goldmoldar @azxcvbnm321
    The MMO engine argument doesn't make much sense considering MMO are precisely the type of games that are changed/expanded the most after their release. If they truly are using a MMO engine, you bet it's specifically designed to allow easy expansion because that's what MMO do.
    Or to reuse azxcvbnm321's analogy, you are basically saying the house can't be moved because it was supposed to be a mobile home.
    To you it may not make sense, but looking how much can be done with Sims 4 it looks like much cannot be done. If the engine was above average there would have been no need to go back to loading screens. I am going by what I see with Sims 4 and it is gimped and the engine was not built ground up for Sims 4. You can turn it upside down, sideways but Sims 4 is just average and nothing more.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    I thought the loading screens were done, because Sims 3 was horribly laggy and crashed all the time....
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I can't wait for seasons. I hate feeling like my sims live in Florida. I have enough of that in real life…
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    I thought the loading screens were done, because Sims 3 was horribly laggy and crashed all the time....
    It was done for various reasons and the lagging problem was one of them but not every one had the problem. It was mainly done for those with low end specs Imho.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    WoltereysWoltereys Posts: 45 Member
    I think the real reason we're not going to see stuff like Seasons or Generations (no toddlers) is that the game engine is extremely limited and they CAN'T do those without redoing the entire game. How would seasons work with the set backgrounds? They'd have to do a custom background for each world and each season. While this is possible, it seems like too much work for them to bother with. I also doubt pets will be released, ever. Pets would require new animations and ways to multitask. If they did Pets but not toddlers, that would create a firestorm of controversy on the forum and elsewhere. So they'd have to do toddlers if they are going to do pets, and they aren't going to do toddlers because of the difficulty of programming carryable toddlers while multitasking, which is why babies are restricted to the crib as objects in the first place. This indeed is a new type of Sims game, it is very very limited as to what can and can't be done.

I agree with you. I DONT think we will get Seasons Like TS3 or TS2. Maybe we will get a snowy getaway, beach getaway, Fall geteway. Like granite Fall. Even The Sims 4 Expasion Packs survey talks about Seasons been a Vacation theme EP. There is no Seasons. Is not like it will snow in all neighborhood. Maybe rain since it doesn't required so much and is simple to have. It talks about places where there is snow, cabin, ice skating and more.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    It was done for various reasons and the lagging problem was one of them but not every one had the problem. It was mainly done for those with low end specs Imho.

Well, now we have loading screens, but the game can't support more than 180 sims and relationship culling is more alive than ever.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Well, now we have loading screens, but the game can't support more than 180 sims and relationship culling is more alive than ever.

So true, that is technology for you ;)
  • Options
    That's true. I personally have nothing against the loading screens as it did make the game a lot more stable. However the extreme culling and relationship decay are really not needed. Or at least we should be able to turn them on and off and control them. My computer was fine before the relationship decay patch was done!
  • Options
    kmariakmaria Posts: 282 Member
    edited August 2016
    I think it's silly that so many people comment about the game engine not being able to do one thing or another, but how many of you really know anything about it apart from what you assume? I wish EA or a guru would weigh in on that to set people straight, if they haven't tried already.

The surveys all mentioned things (like seasons) that a lot of people seem to be under the impression the game just can't run... Why would they be questioning implementing those things if the "game engine" couldn't handle it? I know it has its problems, but can we stop talking pretend truths about things we actually don't know anything about? I mean, I'm not sure how many of you have experience in game development but unless you do, and you've take a look at the guts of it, you don't know what you're talking about.

I am really looking forward to seasons. The first time I noticed the puddles, I was excited that it could be a sign of weather to come! I need some autumn vibes, personally. I hope when it does come that it's full of seasonal recipes. Pumpkin spice lattes anyone? :D
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    I'm genuinely worried that EA is going to put Vacations and Seasons into a single EP. The survey suggested that only Summer and Winter would be added, and they'd be tied to specific vacation worlds. They even named a world after Will Wright. I'm sure he's happy....
  • Options
    azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    kmaria wrote: »
    I think it's silly that so many people comment about the game engine not being able to do one thing or another, but how many of you really know anything about it apart from what you assume? I wish EA or a guru would weigh in on that to set people straight, if they haven't tried already.

The surveys all mentioned things (like seasons) that a lot of people seem to be under the impression the game just can't run... Why would they be questioning implementing those things if the "game engine" couldn't handle it? I know it has its problems, but can we stop talking pretend truths about things we actually don't know anything about? I mean, I'm not sure how many of you have experience in game development but unless you do, and you've take a look at the guts of it, you don't know what you're talking about.

I am really looking forward to seasons. The first time I noticed the puddles, I was excited that it could be a sign of weather to come! I need some autumn vibes, personally. I hope when it does come that it's full of seasonal recipes. Pumpkin spice lattes anyone? :D

But we do know. And I've tried to tell everyone again and again but maybe some people don't understand.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14988689/#Comment_14988689
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14441474/#Comment_14441474

Then please review the all the information on Olympus, the canceled online game that was recast into Sims 4.

To summarize:

1) The minimum specs are incredibly important because EA guarantees that computers with the minimum specs will be able to run Sims 4. If they can't, then EA faces massive lawsuits from greedy class-action law firms who do nothing but troll around for these kind of things. That means the game must run on computers that are more than 10 years old. I don't think those computers could even run Windows 10 right now, but they have to be able to run Sims 4. I don't think people truly understand how limiting the minimum specs are to adding new features and content to the Sims 4.

2) EA/Maxis did the same thing for Sim City 2013, impose a ridiculously low minimum requirement. As one EA executive put it, they wanted grandma's laptop to be able to run Sim City. Well that tied the developers' hands as to what they could put in the game. These low requirements were a strategy that Maxis wanted to follow. Those strategies failed, which is why Lucy Bradshaw was fired (officially she left the company, but we all know the truth).

3) There is no reason why Maxis would ever intentionally put in relationship culling and culling in general unless they were desperate. The Sims are all about relationships and people interacting with others. For them to go to this step means that they are on their last legs, willing to do anything they can to reduce computing power so that it can still meet the minimum requirements.

4) No new EPs have been announced and none are set to be released anytime soon. This all fits the narrative. They're having massive issues with adding new features and assets into the game. Now they could just add a new minimum requirement for the EP, but all the free updates and the patches still must fall under the old minimum requirements. I think they are struggling with how to add a new EP. This last part is speculation, but I believe the next EP will be the last for Sims 4, whatever it is. The Sims 4 engine is the engine that never could in the first place. Maxis has a problem though, Sims 5 won't be ready until 2018 at the earliest. That means they must continue to get Sims 4 users to buy their products until Sims 5 is ready. I suspect there will be plenty of new SPs and maybe a few GPs, but I'm predicting only one more EP and they'll announce Sims 5 sometime in 2017-8.

• Options
    I don't know where this idea came from that seasons will be tied to a world. I read the survey and it stated: See the seasons back home!
  • Options
    That is really interesting! Thank you for adding the tweets!! Also, just to remind people there were a season and toddler EP in the survey. Doubt they would have done that, if they did not think it could work. For some reason there is this rumor that seasons would only be at the vacation destinations, planned for in the pack. It also states the weather would be in our home cities.
  • Options
    ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member

But we do know. And I've tried to tell everyone again and again but maybe some people don't understand.

Then please review the all the information on Olympus, the canceled online game that was recast into Sims 4.

To summarize:

1) The minimum specs are incredibly important because EA guarantees that computers with the minimum specs will be able to run Sims 4. If they can't, then EA faces massive lawsuits from greedy class-action law firms who do nothing but troll around for these kind of things. That means the game must run on computers that are more than 10 years old. I don't think those computers could even run Windows 10 right now, but they have to be able to run Sims 4. I don't think people truly understand how limiting the minimum specs are to adding new features and content to the Sims 4.

2) EA/Maxis did the same thing for Sim City 2013, impose a ridiculously low minimum requirement. As one EA executive put it, they wanted grandma's laptop to be able to run Sim City. Well that tied the developers' hands as to what they could put in the game. These low requirements were a strategy that Maxis wanted to follow. Those strategies failed, which is why Lucy Bradshaw was fired (officially she left the company, but we all know the truth).

3) There is no reason why Maxis would ever intentionally put in relationship culling and culling in general unless they were desperate. The Sims are all about relationships and people interacting with others. For them to go to this step means that they are on their last legs, willing to do anything they can to reduce computing power so that it can still meet the minimum requirements.

4) No new EPs have been announced and none are set to be released anytime soon. This all fits the narrative. They're having massive issues with adding new features and assets into the game. Now they could just add a new minimum requirement for the EP, but all the free updates and the patches still must fall under the old minimum requirements. I think they are struggling with how to add a new EP. This last part is speculation, but I believe the next EP will be the last for Sims 4, whatever it is. The Sims 4 engine is the engine that never could in the first place. Maxis has a problem though, Sims 5 won't be ready until 2018 at the earliest. That means they must continue to get Sims 4 users to buy their products until Sims 5 is ready. I suspect there will be plenty of new SPs and maybe a few GPs, but I'm predicting only one more EP and they'll announce Sims 5 sometime in 2017-8.

Your prediction runs along the same lines as my own, one more expansion pack, GPs and SPs until the Sims 5 announcement. Frankly, I am ready for Sims 5, however, this time why not include Seasons, Pets and Toddlers in the base game. I have had enough of all this waiting and wishing and hopelessness. Playing a game should not mean experiencing angst.
  • Options
    kmariakmaria Posts: 282 Member
    @Neia thanks :) someone should make a thread with those and sticky it as an announcement haha
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    If they do add seasons, I hope when switching between lots/worlds the world maps & icons look snowy too (or like fall, spring, etc.). That could be cute & would make it more immersive to me :)
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member

To summarize:

#1 makes no sense to me. How could a company be sued for their game not being able to be run on older computers?
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @MocaJava technically you can't but if you market a game to consumers and it sells in part because of your promise that t will run well on low-spec computers, and then you release an EP which suddenly renders the game useless on said devices, then you could - in theory - get sued by someone. Especially in the US ;)
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    @MocaJava technically you can't but if you market a game to consumers and it sells in part because of your promise that t will run well on low-spec computers, and then you release an EP which suddenly renders the game useless on said devices, then you could - in theory - get sued by someone. Especially in the US ;)

Ok I get that, didn't think of that. I saw that happen with World of Warcraft, suddenly some people's video cards would no longer work with an update they did before a new expansion came out.
  • Options
    CunninghamCunningham Posts: 1,310 Member
    I mean, we really do need weather...I'm pretty sure we will get this in an expansion pack.
    'I'm Just Another Plum Faced Irishman, Am I Not?'
    "Dr Moose's daycare challenge "
    The Sims 3 - Wishlist/Top5
    oGh7KNi.gif