Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 getting Stuff Packs frequently

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
The Sims 4 is getting new Stuff Packs frequently compared to its predecessor. The Sims 4 has 8 Stuff Packs after about 2 years release (Sept 2, 2014) compared to The Sims 3 which only had 4 Stuff Packs after 2 years release (June 2, 2009). The Sims 3 High-End Loft/Design & Hi-Tech and Fast Lane were released in 2010 while Outdoor Living and Town Life were released in 2011.

By the time it reaches 2018 or 2019, The Sims 4 will likely beat The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 for the number of Stuff Packs released. Currently The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 have 9 Stuff Packs (although one for TS3, Katy Perry's Sweet Treats, is discontinued) while The Sims 4 currently has 7.

Expansion Packs are also another question as The Sims 4 only had 2 EPs after release whereas The Sims 3 had 4 EPs (5 if you count The Sims 3 Pets but that was released in the Fall). As of June, there hasn't been any EP released in 2016 since Get Together in December 2015 (originally November 2015). That's interesting as TS3 was known for having EPs released in the Spring or Summer (actually start of June).

The Sims 3
  • Expansion Packs: 11
  • Stuff Packs: 9
The Sims 4 (as of June 22, 2016)
  • Expansion Packs: 2
  • Stuff Packs: 7
  • Game Packs: 3

It starting to make me think that EA favors Stuff Packs over Expansion Packs and even Game Packs seeing that more SPs are released compared to EPs and GPs.
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
Post edited by WinMacSims3 on

Comments

• Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I don't think it's anything to do with favoring a specific content pack. Stuff Packs are likely easier, quicker and less expensive to create in comparison to game packs and expansion packs which require more time.

Plus, should take into account that The Sims 3 had a Store releasing content basically weekly. I think we'll definitely be getting more Stuff Packs in The Sims 4 and I think that the amount of Game Packs we'll receive will balance with the lack of Expansion Packs. It's nice getting new content monthly though, I like that we're getting more for a cheaper price :3
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    I don't think it's anything to do with favoring a specific content pack. Stuff Packs are likely easier, quicker and less expensive to create in comparison to game packs and expansion packs which require more time.

Plus, should take into account that The Sims 3 had a Store releasing content basically weekly. I think we'll definitely be getting more Stuff Packs in The Sims 4 and I think that the amount of Game Packs we'll receive will balance with the lack of Expansion Packs. It's nice getting new content monthly though, I like that we're getting more for a cheaper price :3

Absolutely agree with you! I love that they can put out this SP's because they add a good amount of new items and a couple of gameplay items more frequently. Especially since I no longer download CC.
  • Options
    joseiloaizachjoseiloaizach Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2016
    That's because Stuff Packs are the new TS3 Store (with the difference that you can't buy items separately, but at least the SPs are not overpriced).

I think we'll have 4 SPs per year, along with 2 GPs per year, due to the Bundle Packs.
    Post edited by joseiloaizach on
    SWB%2BBanner%2BForums.png

♦ Origin ID: joseiloaizach
    ♦ Blog: simwillbuild.blogspot.com
    ♦ Twitter: twitter.com/SimWillBuild
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I think we might start seeing Stuff Pack Bundles(with 4 Stuff Packs), I guess that depends on how Game Packs we get though but I wouldn't mind :3
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    It seems to me that the developers are taking their time while developing EP's, which would explain why there have been only 2 so far.
  • Options
    Kathy090660Kathy090660 Posts: 813 Member
    I would love a stuff pack every month I love getting new stuff for my sims
    newsims4siggg_zps62d6d1ba.png

A Rainbow is a promise of God
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited June 2016
    It seems to me that the developers are taking their time while developing EP's, which would explain why there have been only 2 so far.

Either that, ***SPECULATION*** or maybe it's because they seem to be intergrating the content into the existing game this time around, whereas Sims 3 seemed to just build on top of everything. Which is why the Sims 3 seems to get heavier and bloats the more you have installed, whereas the Sims 4 base game and the Sims 4 all content seems to run exactly the same.

The downside is, it may just take much longer than they expected and thus causing delays.
    I feel like a lot of the EP content actually ends up in the base game files when installed. ***SPECULATION***

@elelunicy am I on the right page or do they work exactly the same? I just don't remember The Sims 3 intergrating to the base game files so much.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    The Sims 3 had The Store, so content wise, it was chocked full of stuff packs via a different means of acquiring it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    I love the stuff packs and game packs and honestly would prefer to see more of them and less expansion packs.
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,762 Member
    I personally feel like it was EAs way of compensating for delivering such an empty base game. Using SP to bolster sales and interest.
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I'm not really interested in SPs since I use a lot of CC. Some of the gameplay objects or certain items are nice, but I usually don't spend the $10 unless it's full of things I want.

The EPs so far have been a bit disappointing imo, but the GPs will never be able to replace them for me. I want more fleshed out EPs.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Stuff Packs and the new idea or Game Packs seems to be easier to focus on 'niche content' and is probably more easy to make rather than large EPs that despite there past success, usually might still only apeal to some players.

It seems like the focus is now on numerous smaller packs and less of the big stuff.

The idea probably works and they seem to sell well and I guess that this would be the theme for the next couple of years
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    The Sims 4 is getting new Stuff Packs frequently compared to its predecessor. The Sims 4 has 7 Stuff Packs after about 2 years release (Sept 2, 2014) compared to The Sims 3 which only had 4 Stuff Packs after 2 years release (June 2, 2009). The Sims 3 High-End Loft/Design & Hi-Tech and Fast Lane were released in 2010 while Outdoor Living and Town Life were released in 2011.

By the time it reaches 2018 or 2019, The Sims 4 will likely beat The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 for the number of Stuff Packs released. Currently The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 have 9 Stuff Packs (although one for TS3, Katy Perry's Sweet Treats, is discontinued) while The Sims 4 currently has 7.

Expansion Packs are also another question as The Sims 4 only had 2 EPs after release whereas The Sims 3 had 4 EPs (5 if you count The Sims 3 Pets but that was released in the Fall). As of June, there hasn't been any EP released in 2016 since Get Together in December 2015 (originally November 2015). That's interesting as TS3 was known for having EPs released in the Spring or Summer (actually start of June).

The Sims 3
    • Expansion Packs: 11
    • Stuff Packs: 9
    The Sims 4 (as of June 22, 2016)
    • Expansion Packs: 2
    • Stuff Packs: 7
    • Game Packs: 3

It starting to make me think that EA favors Stuff Packs over Expansion Packs and even Game Packs seeing that more SPs are released compared to EPs and GPs.

We had 3 months with no sp so I recommend their return.
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    Stuff packs are better than the TS3 store, glad EA got rid of the store and didn't make it's way into TS4.

TS3 store was ridiculously over-priced for just 1 item, seriously, the more stuff packs for TS4, the better!
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Stuff packs are better than the TS3 store, glad EA got rid of the store and didn't make it's way into TS4.

TS3 store was ridiculously over-priced for just 1 item, seriously, the more stuff packs for TS4, the better!

I agree about pricing, but I would rather have a store setup and buy exactly what I want instead of having to also buy content that I probably won't use along with the stuff I actually want.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    BrattonMattonBrattonMatton Posts: 896 Member
    More game packs please! <3
  • Options
    HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    As long as the SPs are well-made, I have no problem with how many are released. There is always the option of not buying them. Like another Simmer said, SPs are providing specific items that interest certain groups of players. I think with the amount of SPs that will be released, most players will eventually find something that interests them. :)
    aSE16f8.gif
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I just hope we get a fashions SP, because my females are seriously lacking some new styles. Not every SP has to be an even mix of objects and clothes.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Wow, can't believe we've only had 2 EPs only so far! D:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    CroxycookCroxycook Posts: 239 Member
    As others have said, compensating for the lack of a store is a big part of it.

But to me, just how much stuff is being added in patches and not in SP/GP/EP, like pools, family trees, drinking water, Star Wars costumes, gender customization, monsters under the bed etc etc etc, adds to the perception of the rate of content production being high or even frantic, sometimes.

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Wow, can't believe we've only had 2 EPs only so far! D:
    I know! It seems like the game has been out for ages... and only 2 EPs. And even those short-changed us somewhat.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited June 2016
    This far into Sims 3 we had 3 EPs; this far into Sims 4 we have 2 EPs and 3 GPs. So, maybe not less overall? The GP format is a major shift and, IMO, makes it no longer really apples to apples to compare only EP release.

I'm down for frequent stuff packs if they keep being this great, and bringing new gameplay with them!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Either that, ***SPECULATION*** or maybe it's because they seem to be intergrating the content into the existing game this time around, whereas Sims 3 seemed to just build on top of everything. Which is why the Sims 3 seems to get heavier and bloats the more you have installed, whereas the Sims 4 base game and the Sims 4 all content seems to run exactly the same.

The downside is, it may just take much longer than they expected and thus causing delays.
    I feel like a lot of the EP content actually ends up in the base game files when installed. ***SPECULATION***

@elelunicy am I on the right page or do they work exactly the same? I just don't remember The Sims 3 intergrating to the base game files so much.

The nature of the Sims 3 EPs is that they were all individual worlds -- if you wanted to incorporate a new EP with your current family, you had to either edit your world to add in new venues and features or abandon that particular save and load your family in the new save, where they ended up losing all their friendships and other relationships (can't remember if they could at least keep their money and skills). And some of the later packs (notably Island Paradise) you had no option but to relocate a family or start a brand new save to take advantage of all the features; for legacy players that was a legacy breaker. I like where each new pack is integrated with the existing game so you don't have to start a new save unless you're just tired of your current situation and want a fresh start (say you want to finally play the Pancakes but they've died off in your current save).

One thing I would like to see is a bit more space when they add venues, because I end up having to rebuild my worlds to accommodate the new buildings. It doesn't have to be a full world (those should be with EPs), but maybe a small district of some sort like we got with GTW. I was able to turn that (Magnolia Promenade) into an entertainment district, relocating my lounge, bar and nightclub there and adding a restaurant. Great place for Sims to go on dates, though I don't normally use the formal "dating" mechanism because I don't like going through all the steps every time plus you can't go from one venue to another. I'll send my Sims out to eat, then when they're done over to the nightclub to dance.

We can also look at the GPs as "mini-EPs" of a sort -- they're a little more in depth than either an SP or anything from the Sims 3 Store, but not quite as expansive as a full EP. I actually think that GTW would have been better off as 2 separate GPs, so both the retail aspect and the active careers could have gotten the attention they deserved. Looking at how well they did the management aspect in Dine Out (especially not having to be present at all times) and comparing it to retail you can see that they learned a lot from the retail experience.

I think that a lot of the pack content (EP, GP and SP) ends up in base game files, hence the need for a patch before every pack (fixing bugs as well as adding the content). We've seen how modders and others have been able to get hints about the pack content by looking at the patch files when they go to update their mods (if necessary), even before the SimGurus confirm it. And there has been content found in the files that has yet to be used (specifically about new age groups, IIRC), which means that they may have put in "placeholders" while the game was in development so they can add things later.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    This far into Sims 3 we had 3 EPs; this far into Sims 4 we have 2 EPs and 3 GPs. So, maybe not less overall? The GP format is a major shift and, IMO, makes it no longer really apples to apples to compare only EP release.

I'm down for frequent stuff packs if they keep being this great, and bringing new gameplay with them!
    I guess when you put it like that...

I don't mind how slow or fast things come out, so long as they are of high quality. It just seems like it's been ages and we haven't had much to expand the game. Fluff and stuff rather than substance.