Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 incompatible with Windows 10 - lilashley

Last Christmas I got a new laptop, HP Pavilion Notebook, and I just recently put the sims 3 and all the expansion packs via origin. Everything downloaded fine and the game launcher came up perfectly when I press play to start the game the normal intro including the sims 3 logo, the maxis logo and the short video intro thing appears then I get to the 1st loading screen that also displays the expansion pack. It wont load my game will not continue pass this point the music plays then stop and a windows notification appears telling me there is an issue and when I troubleshoot the diagnosis is incompatibility. I searched high and low for 2 days, I've tried everything i could find and nothing has helped. I really want to start playing the sims 3 again so please help. Thanks in Advance I've included my computer specs below.
System Information
Time of this report: 6/3/2016, 12:31:48
Machine name: DESKTOP-MNQ4JDI
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.160422-1850)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: HP Pavilion Notebook
BIOS: F.51
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3700 @ 1.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8050MB RAM
Page File: 3587MB used, 5741MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.10586.0000 64bit Unicode

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Your laptop is underpowered to run the game with all the expansions.

You could get away with only just the base game, but I recommend that you use a cooling pad and not play for long periods of time.

Seasons, Pets, Island Paradise, and Into The Future are possibly one of the most demanding expansions of them all.

Since it is a laptop, you are unable to upgrade its processor or graphics card, so the only option is to buy a new computer altogether. You do need a gaming computer for the Sims.

In terms of cooling pads, Cooler Master, Thermaltake, and Zalman make good cooling pads.

Cooler Master:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-X3-Cooling/dp/B0079T2KHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464982611&sr=8-1&keywords=cooler+master+cooling+pad

Thermaltake:
    http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Aluminum-Adjustable-Temperature-Notebook/dp/B00J0NZYOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464982645&sr=8-1&keywords=thermaltake+cooling+pad

Zalman:
    http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-NC3500-Laptop-Cooling-Ports/dp/B008WJAY8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464982682&sr=8-1&keywords=zalman+cooling+pad

Notifying...
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13
    @igazor
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Your processor is way under requirements. If you could post the part of your DxDiag that reads Display Devices. I would need to see your video card. I do suspect that as a whole your computer does not meet the requirements to play the game why it won't start
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited June 2016
    The Sims 3 does actually run on Windows 10 as seen in this YouTube video. Please note that The Sims 3 is the original version and The Sims 4 is the older version. The Sims 2 shows the black boxes under Sims, that's a video card glitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVXx59QQoLA

I believe your PC's hardware is not up to spec. The Sims 3 requires at least a 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 on Windows XP or 2.4 on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 so if you have a CPU speed slower than 2.0/2.4 GHz especially on Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron processors, the game will run slowly due to the lower speed.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    The Sims 3 does actually run on Windows 10 as seen in this YouTube video. Please note that The Sims 3 is the original version and The Sims 4 is the older version. The Sims 2 shows the black boxes under Sims, that's a video card glitch.

I believe your PC's hardware is not up to spec. The Sims 3 requires at least a 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 on Windows XP or 2.4 on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 so if you have a CPU speed slower than 2.0/2.4 GHz especially on Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron processors, the game will run slowly due to the lower speed.

They haven't posted their video card but I suspect that is under requirements too. Their video card may not support windows 10 either. Hard to say without knowing their video card
  • Options
    RainaElfRainaElf Posts: 35 Member
    i've been playing sims 3 on windows 10 since i got a new computer last august. but i've noticed some freezing that i've read some say could be caused by my video card.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DEWLILLY
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model Inspiron 5551
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU 06D7
    Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz, 2159 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 8/13/2015
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 1.01
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State Off
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.0"
    User Name DEWLILLY\Mari
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.88 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.87 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 4.76 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 2.06 GB
    Page File Space 896 MB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Name Intel(R) HD Graphics
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F31&SUBSYS_06D71028&REV_0E\3&11583659&0&10
    Adapter Type Intel(R) HD Graphics, Intel Corporation compatible
    Adapter Description Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Adapter RAM (2,142,130,176) bytes
    Installed Drivers igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32
    Driver Version 10.18.10.4276
    INF File oem20.inf (iVLV2M_w10 section)
    Color Planes Not Available
    Color Table Entries 4294967296
    Resolution 1366 x 768 x 60 hertz
    Bits/Pixel 32
    Memory Address 0x90000000-0x903FFFFF
    Memory Address 0x80000000-0x8FFFFFFF
    I/O Port 0x00001050-0x00001057
    IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967293
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys (10.18.10.4276, 3.62 MB (3,797,424 bytes), 10/9/2015 5:34 PM)

ComSpec %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe <SYSTEM>
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS 2 <SYSTEM>
    OS Windows_NT <SYSTEM>
    Path %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\ <SYSTEM>
    PATHEXT .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC <SYSTEM>
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE AMD64 <SYSTEM>
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8, GenuineIntel <SYSTEM>
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL 6 <SYSTEM>
    PROCESSOR_REVISION 3708 <SYSTEM>
    PSModulePath %ProgramFiles%\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules <SYSTEM>
    TEMP %SystemRoot%\TEMP <SYSTEM>
    TEMP %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    TEMP %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp DEWLILLY\Mari
    TMP %SystemRoot%\TEMP <SYSTEM>
    TMP %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    TMP %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp DEWLILLY\Mari
    USERNAME SYSTEM <SYSTEM>
    windir %SystemRoot% <SYSTEM>

• Options
    @RainaElf I just looked up your laptop , your processor is under requirements of 2.4 ghz or better , your video card does not meet requirements and you only have 4gb ram. The game alone needs 4gb ram to run you need extra ram to run windows 10 , origin and other programs. Your video card and processor are also sharing the computer ram you have with windows. I would not try to run more than the base game on your computer .

This game does require a mid range gaming desktop or higher end gaming laptop if your playing all eps or the more demanding eps such as Seasons, Pets, ITF and IP
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Celeron processors make me break out in hives. They never perform as well as they should even on office related tasks and are not meant for gaming. But I think @RainaElf could get away with the base game and some of the earlier EPs (up through LateNite or Generations maybe) even on integrated graphics as long as they keep it cooled, the game graphics options turned down, and have realistic expectations on things like load/save time and performance. I wouldn't play TS3 on that machine, and it will struggle with things, but some gameplay shouldn't be totally impossible either.
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Onboard_Graphics
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @igazor they might run into error code 12 with only 4 gb ram running windows 10 , integrated gpu/cpu if running more than the base game. They may need ram for origin too. Windows 10 has forced updates unlike previous versions of windows where you have the option not to update
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 - Yes, agreed. That is the sort of thing I meant about realistic expectations. Chances are that the player is going to continue playing on that computer with the EPs they want anyway, and again it shouldn't be impossible up to a point. But it's not going to be a smooth and crash free experience either and I would expect that processor to take a very long time to load up games generally, if it can.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor you're right - it takes forever for saved games to load. then there's the in-game lagging. this is the only computer i have, unfortunately.

sorry for the late response -- i lost this thread and couldn't find it again.
  • Options
    This game does require a mid range gaming desktop or higher end gaming laptop if your playing all eps or the more demanding eps such as Seasons, Pets, ITF and IP

I play University, Late Night, Town Life, Ambitions, and Generations

• Options
    @igazor they might run into error code 12 with only 4 gb ram running windows 10

I've gotten that exactly twice

• Options
    RainaElf wrote: »
    @igazor you're right - it takes forever for saved games to load. then there's the in-game lagging. this is the only computer i have, unfortunately.

sorry for the late response -- i lost this thread and couldn't find it again.

I'm afraid there really isn't much you are going to be able to do to improve the experience on that laptop. It's possible you might be able to purchase and add more memory (RAM) to that model, but the processor is what it is and you don't have a dedicated graphics card there. This isn't a laptop meant for gaming, but you are fortunate that it's strong enough to run (to some extent with glitches and slow load times) the combination of EPs that you have. The question becomes, is its performance strong enough for the game still be fun to play for you.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    RainaElf wrote: »
    @igazor they might run into error code 12 with only 4 gb ram running windows 10

I've gotten that exactly twice

I agree with what @igazor is telling you in above message on your computer. This game needs a gaming computer to run efficiently . Your computer is under requirements to run the game

Error code 12 is not having enough computer memory to run the game.

If your getting error codes, its possible you have some bad saves. On your computer go to Documents Folder to Electronic Arts Folder to the sims 3 folder. In the sims 3 folder click on saves. If you find any saves with "Bad" on the end of them delete those. Use "Save As" option every time you save . This will give you a new clean save rather than overwriting the old save. You just give the game a new name every time you use save as. I label my game with numbers . Example Moonlight falls 1, 2 , 3 etc so my progress gets renamed with save as. Since you are low on computer memory you should save frequently (like every 15 minutes) to further help avoid error codes.
  • Options
    Thanks. :)
  • Options
    I took off Ambitions and Generations and it seems to be running a bit better ...
  • Options
    kmaradamskmaradams Posts: 2 New Member
    can https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ematic-11-6-Laptop-Touchscreen-2-in-1-Windows-10-Intel-Atom-Quad-Core-Processor-2GB-RAM-32GB-Flash-Storage-EWT117/940365785?selected=true handle sims 3?
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    kmaradams wrote: »

No, it's not even close to what you would need. I'm not the one to help you find something suitable, but I thought if you were planning to shop today, I'd let you know that's not going to work.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    kmaradams wrote: »
    I'm afraid not in any way possible. TS3 requires a relatively strong processor, more RAM, hard drive space, and at least some attempt at a decent graphics card. Laptops that can run just the base game and maybe an early EP or two on low graphics settings will tend to start in the $500 or $600 range, for the entire game more like the $800s or $900s and up (with some discounts available as sales happen). Desktops will run a bit cheaper. Price is not the determining factor, but this is a $150 device meant to be used for light web surfing, email, and it maybe can work with a very small collection of documents. It is essentially a low-end tablet with a keyboard built in.

This thread is likely to get locked up on us as it's a necro from over three years ago. A better place to have a conversation while you still have New Member status and cannot begin your own threads would be here:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues#latest
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!