Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is food "Normal" now?

When I hover over a dish, quick or otherwise, it says "Quality: Normal." How does this work, exactly? Before the qualities were "Okay," "Good," and "Excellent!" If "Normal" is the same as "Okay," it doesn't explain why my level 10 Cooking skill Sim (who wasn't uncomfortable or anything) made a tuna casserole of "Normal" quality.

Does have to do with the ingredients? I looked at the notes for the new patch, and I couldn't find anything about it.

Comments

• Options
    BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    Does it evaluate baked goods the same way now too?
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    They might have made changes to what effects quality in preparation for the DO GP. It was too easy to get excellent before, with just a few cooking levels and Good produce.
  • Options
    cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    I noticed that they have a poor quality now too , I have no idea if they before . I have a level 4 cook with high quality fridge and stove that makes awful food , I have her husband cooking now and he's a level 2 that makes perfect meals. Neither one are foodies or perfectionists.
    I'm gonna have to pay closer attention to the meal rating system now.
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    I mean, my Sim was at level 10 cooking, AND has the best refrigerator AND the best stove. There weren't any fish in the fridge, though. Maybe that's the key?

This has possibly negative implications for my Perfectionist Sims, who often roll wants to make something of excellent quality. I guess meals will no longer be the easy out. Darn!
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I'd personally give normal a rating of about 5/10 - not terrible, but nothing to write home about either.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I mean, my Sim was at level 10 cooking, AND has the best refrigerator AND the best stove. There weren't any fish in the fridge, though. Maybe that's the key?

This has possibly negative implications for my Perfectionist Sims, who often roll wants to make something of excellent quality. I guess meals will no longer be the easy out. Darn!

Yes, before (months ago) normal meant your Sims were going to have a bad after taste. I hope it didn't nerf all that hard work.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member
    When I hover over a dish, quick or otherwise, it says "Quality: Normal." How does this work, exactly? Before the qualities were "Okay," "Good," and "Excellent!" If "Normal" is the same as "Okay," it doesn't explain why my level 10 Cooking skill Sim (who wasn't uncomfortable or anything) made a tuna casserole of "Normal" quality.

Does have to do with the ingredients? I looked at the notes for the new patch, and I couldn't find anything about it.

My sim who has a level 10 sometimes make an 'okay' tuna casserole too. I think for some dishes, you have to get them to 'practice' and make some a few times before they can really get an 'excellent' quality. :) Hope this helps.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Well, several "Excellent!" meals have been made now. :) It seems like they've become a bit more rare, but not by much. "Normal" will give your Sim a happy moodlet; only "Poor" will give them an uncomfortable one.
  • Options
    chensaytaylorchensaytaylor Posts: 700 Member
    I found that when I make it, and get it out of the fridge later it says Excellent...(10 cooking and 10 gourmet cooking AND a perfectionist) BUT since the patch if she has to stop mid-meal to tend to a baby then finish eating her food it says that...taste experimental food and learn... and it says normal... but my plates still sparkle... and she gets the gourmet food buff....
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I don't mind my sims almost always make excellent food. Today I had a sim (new to cooking) actually make poor quality food and I was tickled. He wasn't too happy eating it though. I'm hoping there have been more tweaks to mood buffs too. He was bored much more often than my other sims had been in the past lol.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Audio_5urfAudio_5urf Posts: 655 Member
    maybe it's like the video game skill mechanic where there is a hidden skill level behind each game.. maybe it's the same with dishes.. can't expect to win a pro tournament on a new game you just started playing.. why would it be any different with food dishes?
    Lets make The Sims 4 great again!
    -- Origin ID: Audio5urf --
    Feel free to add me, and check out my gallery shenanigans.
  • Options
    ST7_MTNMANST7_MTNMAN Posts: 172 Member

I will go out on a limb and say that it has to do with Dining Out for several reasons that they touched on yesterday during the live stream.

1)When buying a new restaurant your staff will have to level up and be trained in order to make certain meals.

2) They also said that your sims will have to be a level 5 or higher to cook the experimental dishes @ home.

Now with this being said you throw in #3 Where they said that most of the food from other packs would work in your restaurant.

So in order to do that I would say the patch might've added a little something that pertained to dining out in order to catergorize the item in the same manner as the items in the DO pack itself. And maybe when you get the DO pack and you place the item on the menu it will also have a # next to it so that you can place the right items on your menu.

Now this is just me throwing out an idea as to why it "Could" be happening no way shape or form am i saying this is the way it works just a theory that i thought could be the reasoning behind your question.
  • Options
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    I hope 'poor' replaced 'okay' because honestly if something tastes 'okay' I'm not going to complain like my Sims do all the time.

Yeah, "Okay" doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. I think it's Poor (they get the uncomfortable moodlet), Normal, Good, and Excellent. For everything but Poor, they get the happy moodlet.
  • Options
    DeandylanDeandylan Posts: 496 Member
    Well it doesn't matter in my game because Beyoncé hates everything she eats. :(