Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Speed Readers Reading Circle

POLLYANNA2POLLYANNA2 Posts: 172 Member
Hi @lisabee2 and @Rainydayz179

I hope you don't mind that I started the thread! I am so keen to get going!

I suppose the first point would be establishing some feedback guidelines and maybe some targeted area we want to work on?

Also, a link to the first post in your story would help me a lot, as I can struggle to navigate which posts start where when I am playing catch up.

Another random thought I had was maybe start tagging our posts with something like speedreadcircle and then we know that those posts are meant to be read for discussion?

I am sorry if that was a brain dump- my thoughts are all jumbled!

Edited to add: Sorry! I assumed that we'd play catch up with chapters but would you both prefer to have a summary? Bah! Brain so scattered.
YouTube%20Forum%20Banner_zpsu3ts3wnz.png
ou can read my Sim-Lit here:
https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    ***reserved for guidelines and link to first post***

Polly's first post: https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/2016/05/01/generation-one-snow-white-recap/

• Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    POLLYANNA2 wrote: »
    Sorry! I assumed that we'd play catch up with chapters but would you both prefer to have a summary? Bah! Brain so scattered.

I'd figured if no one else had made the thread by now I'd go ahead and do it so grats @POLLYANNA2 ya beat me to it!

*looks at blog posts* Okay 'Till Death Do We Part is 33 chapters including 3 bloopers and outtakes chapters. Heart & Soul is the spinoff legacy of which I've published 4 chapters including the succession laws and rules chapter. My stuff has very few words, I mostly try to show in the screenshot what's going on and then just add in a bit of text. I know one person read it all in around an hour because she commented on every post as she was reading.

The question is like you said, do we want to play catch up (which I'd prefer but it's up to ya'll) or do we want to post a summary? I've already thought out some of the summary for 'Till Death Do We Part and I can tell you right now the first chapter is going to get a paragraph summary because it's my ghost's backstory.

This is assuming that we're focusing on one story-line in our circle? Also, I'm not sure if tagging the posts would help much, at least for my blog, because I use blogger not wordpress. Do you have threads on the forums that you update when you post a new chapter? I do. Either that or we could post the links to each new chapter here? Boy I'll be glad when we get this all figured out and can start! ;)
  • Options
    I am happy to play catch up. Maybe we can make it a weekend goal? Establish guidelines and play catch up? What do you think @lisabee2?
    I think one story line would be easier to start. And it will allow us to really dig into the characters and plot of that story. We can always have the option to expand once we get into a routine.

I don't have a thread here for when I post a new chapter but might make one if that's easiest? I also sometimes drop them off in the Writer's Lounge or can drop them here?

What are some thoughts on feedback guidelines; both when we'll give feedback and how.

I am guessing that you are both from similar time zones but I am over in Australia so being online at the same time might be difficult...
    I am thinking we could agree that each Sunday our time, we sit down and type up thoughts and encouragement on the weeks posts. If we have any questions they can be posted anytime?

I will research and see if there are some existing guidelines anywhere...

• Options
    @POLLYANNA2 I'm in eastern standard time USA.

I guess the easiest would be to post our new chapters here so we don't miss them.

To me a week seems like a long time to wait to give feedback. I might forget some detail that I really liked by the end of the week... unless I took notes while I read, that's an option. ;)

Not sure about guidelines, if you don't find anything I'll do some searches as well.
  • Options
    @POLLYANNA2 I read like 13 chapters of your story but I have this extremely annoying issue where wordpress keeps wanting me to log in my old book blog wordpress account instead of my gaming one. It happens every time I try to like or comment. So I give up for tonight. I'll have to use the computer to comment on the posts I've read in the morning. Loving it so far though!
  • Options
    Hey! So my google search was very successful and there were TONS of results and there was a common theme in all the guidelines I found which was "You need a goal- what are you hoping to get out of it?". Then the feedback should be a mix of positive and constructive and the constructive should try and address the writer's goal.

I also hear what you are saying about once a week being a bit long but maybe if we do formal feedback once a week (see structure below) and then random thoughts and comments whenever?

Formal Feedback Structure could have 1 thing that addresses the author's goal, something really positive and then something out of the box (possible future posts/style things etc)

What do you think? If you like, maybe we could all state our goals?

Also @Rainydayz179 that sucks about wordpress. I am new to blogging and I don't know why it does what it does sometimes! Thank you so much for reading it though. I get so excited when I see a new like or comment. Like I said I am a complete blogging Newbie so everyone is a complete thrill. I never expected anyone to read my story, besides my husband. I just wrote it for me. I received my 50th like badge today and I may have done a little excited dance!

• Options
    @POLLYANNA2 I'm just waking up in my neck of the woods so it's a bit early for deep thoughts about goals at the moment. About WordPress, I even tried using a different browser and that one wouldn't let me sign in. I only have that account for liking and commenting because my blog is on blogger. I also started mine just for me. Then my little niece was playing sims and she started reading it. Around when Sims 4 came out I started posting links to my updates on the forums and to my surprise people actually read it. There aren't any likes on blogger so I don't get the instant feedback that WordPress users do. I've noticed some of the more popular stories getting 10 likes in the first few hours after publishing a new chapter.
  • Options
    I know it's a bit early to start posting updates on here since we're not caught up in the stories but I figured eh why not?

Chapter 1.5: Home Improvements
    imageedit_113_7672912526.jpg
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    edited May 2016
    ....can I join the speed readers? If not no worries. Understand fully if you're filled up for now.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    ra3rei wrote: »
    ....can I join the speed readers? If not no worries. Understand fully if you're filled up for now.

I don't see why not? We're still waiting for @lisabee2 to join us in the thread. So far @POLLYANNA2 and I were just trying to think of goals for our stories that we can discuss weekly. We decided to concentrate on one story each for now. So post your starting chapter for us and then you can post your update chapters here too. :)
  • Options
    @POLLYANNA2 You'll have a bunch of comments to approve on your story because I finally got it fixed so that I can comment! I ended up resetting the cookies in the browser. I didn't want to do that because I use it to pay bills and some other stuff so now I'll have to find my log in info for all those sites but it was worth it! I'm taking a break from reading to play for a bit then I'm going to get back to it later.
  • Options
    @ra3rei Welcome! I am happy to have you and can't wait to start reading your work! Which story would you like us to read?

I think maybe we should cap at four? Just to make sure we can do each other justice? I probably can't commit to reading more than three on top of RL.

Thanks for all your comments @Rainydayz179. I hope you like the drama. I am making my way through your Ambrosia Challenge first- just because I like context! I had never heard of the challenge before and so I am really intrigued and I love the ghost!! <3

I was thinking about my goal as I was driving home today and I think my aim is to find my story-telling feet and style. Learning how much drama to inject, how much I should let the Sims lead me into the story and how much of it should be me directing them. I was always a more challenge based player rather than a story teller, but a blog is bringing out my storytelling side more.

• Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    OH That would make me so sad if you joined and I had to read Ghost @Ra3rei (totally joking of course .. adore that story and Sam is a total darling!!) ..I know @roseinblack69 wanted to be in our circle too :)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    I don't mind either recap or catch up .. just let me know
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    roseinblack69roseinblack69 Posts: 4,070 Member
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    OH That would make me so sad if you joined and I had to read Ghost @Ra3rei (totally joking of course .. adore that story and Sam is a total darling!!) ..I know @roseinblack69 wanted to be in our circle too :)

No worries @lisabee2 ;) I'm feeling good joining Circle E :) My story isn't short, so I totally suit there.
    Sorry for lurking here, I just wanted to answer your thoughts :)
  • Options
    Yes I think four is perfect. I never did make it back to your story last night @POLLYANNA2 because Deligracy had a Twitch stream and her streams are usually when I'm sleeping so I was really excited to watch one. Wow they're complete chaos! :D So I'll have to get back to it today.

@lisabee2 & @ra3rei which stories of yours are we reading? :)

As to goals I'm still feeling unsure but I'll give it a try-
    Goal 1: To make sure that the readers get to know all of the family, not just the heirs.
    Goal 2: To have some sort of a story going on, not just me commentating pictures. (Although some have said that's what they prefer.)
    Goal 3: To not let whatever story there is interrupt the flow of the chapters. (I know I've already done this in unpublished chapters.)
    Goal 4: To have readers feel as strongly about my characters as I do.
    Goal 5: Just to be better at the whole "story" thing altogether.

I might have been doing this for almost 2 years now but the bulk of that time I didn't try to make any kind of a story out of whatever challenge I was playing. I'm still struggling with that and that's why I felt being in this circle could help me. With support and feedback I can hopefully get better. Looking back at some of my old stuff I cringe at how bad it was but at the same time it gives me hope that I'm getting better! <3
  • Options
    A bit of a sad chapter today. It was supposed to be getting to know the triplets a little bit but things took a turn for the worse.

Chapter 1.6: Heartbroken
    imageedit_116_3532071746.jpg
  • Options
    @Rainydayz179 I only have one story :)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    @roseinblack69 that was sweet of you TY :)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    @Rainydayz179 I finished "till death do we part" already and catching up on Heart and Soul should be pretty easy. That I cannot read yours on my phone will slow me down a bit :)@POLLYANNA2 So sad about the first generation (Snow is obviously my <3 FAV) but will jump on Jasmine's story to catch up to where I am already reading. Re3rei .. I will have to dig back in your stories cause I am done with all current stuff :) I saw one about (something like) blue peas (??) that looked intriguing :) Being a new blogger I only have one story .. it sprang (accidentally) from the insane asylum challenge. Mine are all pretty quick reads but you have to option of starting where you wish :)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    @lisabee2 That's awesome that you've already read 'Till Death Do We Part and are starting Heart & Soul! I am just getting ready to write chapter 16 of H&S. Did you post a link to your starting post and I just didn't see it? @ra3rei Which of your stories are we reading?
  • Options
    Morning!! I have a mug of coffee and I am ready to write! @Rainydayz179 I am in to the third generation of your ambrosia challenge and love your pictures. I should be finished with it today and then can get onto your legacy. I know it's not needed to understanding the legacy but I need my context! I know this might be against popular opinion but Rose has been favourite so far. She was the most unique of all the characters.

@lisabee2 Would you mind posting the link to the first post in your story? I can add it to the first link page and also it will help me find my way. I can get confused navigating blogs :)

I'll be back when I have a new post for you all. Coffee- let's get typing!

• Options
    POLLYANNA2 wrote: »
    Morning!! I have a mug of coffee and I am ready to write! @Rainydayz179 I am in to the third generation of your ambrosia challenge and love your pictures. I should be finished with it today and then can get onto your legacy. I know it's not needed to understanding the legacy but I need my context! I know this might be against popular opinion but Rose has been favourite so far. She was the most unique of all the characters.

@lisabee2 Would you mind posting the link to the first post in your story? I can add it to the first link page and also it will help me find my way. I can get confused navigating blogs :)

I'll be back when I have a new post for you all. Coffee- let's get typing!

Actually it would be a bit hard to understand the legacy without reading the ambrosia challenge first so I'm glad you had time to read it. I still haven't completed the ambrosia challenge part because Kristof hasn't topped his career and Amira hasn't completed her aspiration. As to liking Rose, I think I'm the only one who didn't like her. But I had to watch her constantly fight with her dad and brother. I'm afraid nobody is going to get much attached to any of the sims in the first generation of the legacy because there are so many it's hard to give them the time they should have.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    So I have two new posts today- telling Raja's point of view. It was hard to write and they are long parts but let me know what you think.
    https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/2016/05/27/ch-221-rajas-story/

https://pollyannasims.wordpress.com/2016/05/28/ch-2-22-rajas-story-part-2/

Edited to add: There is a little more of Raja's story arc but I'm thinking of going back to Aiden and Bridgette for a bit and them coming back when their lives is a bit mundane. What do you think?

• Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    I've not been ignoring you all, I swear. I just kept saying I was waiting for a proper keyboard, but that never happened.

I'm not sure which of my two main stories to focus on. I admit ghost is a lot shorter being only 9 chapters to the Huffmans 30ish, but the Huffmans have shorter chapters and more variety...and less plot.

The Huffmans is your regular legacy format of watching a single family. Each gen will be around 25 chapters and I'm just started on gen two. Unlike many legacies though there is a focus on family moments and a lot less drama. Their struggles tend not to be interpersonal, but I'm working to add appropriate drama as it comes up in game. It's def a weaving of writing and gameplay.

A Ghost of a Chance is an ambrosia challenge and we just started on generation one. I gave a lot of energy around it right now and I am usually only a chapter or two ahead in writing. It's a bit more story focused, I'll admit my last chapter and next two will be all staged pictures, but I take every opportunity to weave when I can.

Do you all have a preference? My current goal is to write 1 to 2 chapters a week for both these stories with an occasional binge week for my other stories where I'm currently lacking as much energy.

Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.