Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Turn-based games?

loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
I'm looking for a new (to me) turn-based game to get into when I'm having a break from TS4, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? Waaaay back, I used to play Civilizations and enjoyed that so that's the sort of thing I'm looking for, though it could be set in any context, not just Earth's history. Any (helpful!) suggestions welcome. Oh, and it needs to work on Windows 10 :)

Comments

• Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Try Valkyria Chronicles. On PC.
    It's not a classic strategy, but something unique. And has a story.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll check it out :)
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    Have you tried the new Civilization: Beyond Earth?

It's actually pretty neat, I really like the new tech tree & Affinity mechanics. The expansion Rising Tides allows players the ability to build Colonies on water tiles which I think is pretty rad :+1::+1::star:
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Esine wrote: »

It's actually pretty neat, I really like the new tech tree & Affinity mechanics. The expansion Rising Tides allows players the ability to build Colonies on water tiles which I think is pretty rad :+1::+1::star:

How does that compare with Civ 5?
    I was looking into buying it a while ago but it had allot of bad reviews. Has it improved since release?
    I loved civ 5 and also civilization colonization... Endless Legend is also great.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Yeah I actually dreaded the release too as I love the Civ series & had sunk so much time in Civ 5.

I actually ended up enjoying BE as later updates changed the game & the Expansion has made the game much more enjoyable for me especially with the new factions & the Water Tile/Diplomacy improvements.

I really like the look of Endless Legend. Will check it out :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Yeah I actually dreaded the release too as I love the Civ series & had sunk so much time in Civ 5.

I actually ended up enjoying BE as later updates changed the game & the Expansion has made the game much more enjoyable for me especially with the new factions & the Water Tile/Diplomacy improvements.

I really like the look of Endless Legend. Will check it out :mrgreen:

Will wait for a sale and grab beyond earth :)
    Endless Legend is a really good game, i stumbled across it when i read the bad reviews from Beyond Earth LOL. the graphics are great too!
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

No, not tried that, but have looked at it. Like you, I was put off my the bad reviews initially, but if it's improved a lot then I'll reconsider - thanks! :)
  • Options

I was looking into buying it a while ago but it had allot of bad reviews. Has it improved since release?
    I loved civ 5 and also civilization colonization... Endless Legend is also great.

I was also looking at Endless Legend yesterday too - it does look good and a bit different to what I normally go for... And it's only £14 on Amazon UK, not a bad price :)
  • Options

I was also looking at Endless Legend yesterday too - it does look good and a bit different to what I normally go for... And it's only £14 on Amazon UK, not a bad price :)

Well worth the cheap price tag. ;)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader games. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options

Thanks! Looks interesting, though quite old - do you reckon it'd work with Windows 10?
  • Options

Thanks! Looks interesting, though quite old - do you reckon it'd work with Windows 10?

Should work on windows 10. :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

Should work on windows 10. :)

Super, thanks!
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I play stronghold when I feel like burning enemies... or just annoying my own soldiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI3GuugNDMA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zJlO6KZpVw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGf8e0okyvo

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Movotti wrote: »
    I play stronghold when I feel like burning enemies... or just annoying my own soldiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI3GuugNDMA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zJlO6KZpVw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGf8e0okyvo

Love those voices :D
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    South Park: The Stick of Truth <3
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    South Park: The Stick of Truth <3

:o Hilarious :D
  • Options
    ^^^ Friggn Love that game!!!! :joy::mrgreen::+1::+1::star:
  • Options
    MrPride77MrPride77 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @loubyloulou said:
    > I'm looking for a new (to me) turn-based game to get into when I'm having a break from TS4, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? Waaaay back, I used to play Civilizations and enjoyed that so that's the sort of thing I'm looking for, though it could be set in any context, not just Earth's history. Any (helpful!) suggestions welcome. Oh, and it needs to work on Windows 10 :)

You should try Little Lord of Twilight on steam! Love it!
  • Options
    MrPride77 wrote: »
    > @loubyloulou said:
    > I'm looking for a new (to me) turn-based game to get into when I'm having a break from TS4, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? Waaaay back, I used to play Civilizations and enjoyed that so that's the sort of thing I'm looking for, though it could be set in any context, not just Earth's history. Any (helpful!) suggestions welcome. Oh, and it needs to work on Windows 10 :)

You should try Little Lord of Twilight on steam! Love it!

Thanks, I've not heard of that one - I'll check it out :)