March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I download someone's entire Mods folder and get all their custom content in one go?

FawnFoxFawnFox Posts: 360 Member
I know this is kind of weird, but I was wondering if this could be possible - say someone uploaded their entire Mods folder for download, could I download it and swap it for my Mods folder? Would that mess things up, swapping the folders?

Of course this is all hypothetical though, as I have not encountered someone who's uploaded their entire CC folder! :p

I'm trying to think of a way to get lots of custom content without going through the painful process of downloading pieces one by one. So is it possible?

2afmmf5.jpg

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,479 Member
    Hello.
    It is better to go to the individual sites to download the cc or mods. When at the sites, you can then read more information about the cc/mods and instructions that the cc Creator has written about how to install and use the cc/mods. The sites will give info on where /how to find the cc in the game. With mods, you will know what sites to go to for checking if there are updates of the mods after a game patch. By going to the cc sites and downloading the cc/mods yourself, you will know what you are installing in your game, and what files refer to what cc.
  • FawnFoxFawnFox Posts: 360 Member
    Right, okay :) So is file sharing Mods folders something that is possible but discouraged?

2afmmf5.jpg

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited March 2016
    It should technically work fine, with the benefit that the Resource.cfg will have already been made to suit the folder structure. However if it also contains mods that change the game behaviour, then you need to know what they are and how to check when they need updating. At the end of the day you bought the game to have fun with and if you'd find it more fun and less hassle to use someone else's mods folder then go for it. :)
    Post edited by IngeJones on
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    Yes, this does work. I gave my friend all of my CC awhile back. Just make a note that some mods or CC might work for them but not you and vice versa.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    You theoretically could do this but many creators have "no reuploading" in their terms of use and uploading their creations as part of a mods folder would therefore be breaking their ToU
    Post edited by Pegasus143 on
  • -KendallKatz--KendallKatz- Posts: 244 Member
    I don't think I'm eligible to post links, but if you search up AuroraSims on YouTube she has a video labeled "My Mods Folders [Sims 3 & 4]" in which she has both her Sims 3 and 4 Mods folders to download in the description.

As the others previously said, it isn't always convenient downloading other's Mods folders and it could cause problems. Be sure to check & see if your mods are up to date! I am downloading now as I type.

Hope this helps! :)
    origin id: slayingsims
    4677c7a6473e6a278b30e270c9b1e82a.gif
  • -KendallKatz--KendallKatz- Posts: 244 Member
    ^ Edit: There are many other videos I have found as well. You will need Winrar or 7zip in order to extract these files and make them viewable in-game. Most of the video makers will update the links on the video or create a whole new one so you don't have to worry about updating your cc. :)
    origin id: slayingsims
    4677c7a6473e6a278b30e270c9b1e82a.gif
  • indiebellindiebell Posts: 1 New Member
    does anyone have any sims mods or cc they can send me
  • SimPaperrhSimPaperrh Posts: 19 New Member
    MOst creators have a no re-download tos but I believe Dima Honey has a mods folder up for download you can find it on their youtube :)
  • EmmaTrettvikEmmaTrettvik Posts: 1 New Member
    sure, you can get mine. i just have to find a way for others to download it, just a warning though, its about 11-12 GB. i`ll edit this comment when i find a way and link it!
  • gustavowizardgustavowizard Posts: 616 Member
    i dont see why not... even script mods would not have problems... off course you need ALL the dependencies so you need the entire mod folder, also keep an eye for double scripted mods, those can be problematic
  • lexatesimlover120608lexatesimlover120608 Posts: 1 New Member
    could someone on here put there entire mods folder up for download?
  • Princess_07xPrincess_07x Posts: 926 Member
    edited August 2019
    if anyone has any links please inbox me them :)
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited August 2019
    Since many creators don't allow this, it's not a great idea. However, some deactivated creators have their entire drive up for downloading. I believe that Gohliad is one.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Princess_07xPrincess_07x Posts: 926 Member
    Since many creators don't allow this, it's not a great idea. However, some deactivated creators have their entire drive up for downloading. I believe that Gohliad is one.

Thank you :) I will check it out