Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

2016 Mac book pro

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Did you buy the extra graphics card and install it easy extra as I don't think you can get that in the UK

I'm in the UK :)

No, it's not possible to install another graphics card in the 13" MBP. The 13" only has integrated Intel graphics. The high end 15" has both integrated Intel and dedicated AMD. I would always advise to go for the higher end 15" but they are significantly more expensive than the 13" as they are a lot more powerful. Not only do they have dedicated GPUs but also quad core i7 processors. However, there is also an incompatibility issue with the AMD graphics in the new 15" MBP on Sims 3 (but some have managed to get it to work).

This would be the best one - http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MJLT2B/A&step=config#

The hard drives and memory aren't upgradeable in the retina MBPs.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    MusicreChMusicreCh Posts: 1 New Member
    Thank you for replying. Im in two minds whether to get the mac or not. I like the idea of a mac - its portability battery life etc. But I get can so much more with a windows laptop for much less. Ive seen a fabulous MSI gaming machine. i7 processor 16gb ram, Nividia GTX 970M graphics card running at 2.6ghz with a boost of 3.5ghz. I dont think I'll have a problem with this machine.

Yes you can get more for less but it's like comparing apples and oranges, completely different. Plus Macs are renowned for lasting a very long time. I'm posting this on a 9 year old iMac which can still play Sims 3 and Sims 4. The in game graphics have to be on low-medium settings but the actual machine is great. Still boots in 20 seconds or so, running the latest OS, isn't slow and can still have multiple apps running at the same time and keep going. I want to get a new one but this one still does everything I need it to!

I'm so tired of hearing ppl say macs last longer than PC's lol. I mean come on! The hard ware is exactly the same then and it is now.
    How can you possibly say macs last longer?
    If it's a gaming mac which are all sad.. the pc wins hands down.
    If it's an office base laptop no one wins, they both technically last forever, or whichever hard drive fails first.
    Mac does not make their laptop hardware.. ram, SSD, mainboards, and processors are contracted out from the same place pc gets their hardware.
    Not to mention the variations to compare are endless! Desktops also get their hardware from the same place hp etc... get theirs from.
    You are going to get 100s of different pc to choose from. So maybe the ratio of dead laptops in the pc word is 10,000 higher because they sell 100,000 more than mac. So looking at ratio being sold in comparison the mac failure rate looks awesome! But they're only selling a fraction of what is sold in the pc world.
    I have a 286 laptop that is still 100% in operating condition.. Although dos isn't exactly popular these days ;-).
    So yah, macs don't use magical hardware that makes them last long... sorry to burst your bubbles out there hipsters.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    MusicreCh wrote: »
    I'm so tired of hearing ppl say macs last longer than PC's lol. I mean come on! The hard ware is exactly the same then and it is now.
    If it's an office base laptop no one wins, they both technically last forever, or whichever hard drive fails first.
    Mac does not make their laptop hardware.. ram, SSD, mainboards, and processors are contracted out from the same place pc gets their hardware.
    Not to mention the variations to compare are endless! Desktops also get their hardware from the same place hp etc... get theirs from.
    You are going to get 100s of different pc to choose from. So maybe the ratio of dead laptops in the pc word is 10,000 higher because they sell 100,000 more than mac. So looking at ratio being sold in comparison the mac failure rate looks awesome! But they're only selling a fraction of what is sold in the pc world.
    I have a 286 laptop that is still 100% in operating condition.. Although dos isn't exactly popular these days ;-).
    So yah, macs don't use magical hardware that makes them last long... sorry to burst your bubbles out there hipsters.
    Speaking for myself, my bubbles remain unbursted. :p

This forum is an amazing place. Here on the tech boards we have avid simmers who happen to be tech professionals, many of us with decades of IT experience and varying levels of education in an assortment of related fields, certainly with tons of experience with the games in question, coming together to offer advice to our fellow players. Yes, occasionally we are lectured to that we don't know what we are talking about but one has to consider the source before taking any of that seriously. Especially from someone who has just clearly demonstrated that they don't know how ratios work mathematically and has further backed up their claim with an anecdotal about one functional elderly laptop.

Regardless, this is not the place where one gets told off for being deluded or a "hipster" (this is a bad thing?) for preferring one ecosystem over another for our own personal use as such is not really helpful to anyone, especially on a thread that is over a year old. Reported for being off-topic. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    MusicreCh wrote: »
    Thank you for replying. Im in two minds whether to get the mac or not. I like the idea of a mac - its portability battery life etc. But I get can so much more with a windows laptop for much less. Ive seen a fabulous MSI gaming machine. i7 processor 16gb ram, Nividia GTX 970M graphics card running at 2.6ghz with a boost of 3.5ghz. I dont think I'll have a problem with this machine.

Yes you can get more for less but it's like comparing apples and oranges, completely different. Plus Macs are renowned for lasting a very long time. I'm posting this on a 9 year old iMac which can still play Sims 3 and Sims 4. The in game graphics have to be on low-medium settings but the actual machine is great. Still boots in 20 seconds or so, running the latest OS, isn't slow and can still have multiple apps running at the same time and keep going. I want to get a new one but this one still does everything I need it to!

...... Says someone who evidently thinks a computer's life is over when the hard drive fails.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Me personally has heard alot of good stuff about Mac but not when it comes to gaming=P ive had a Mac too but it didnt last longer, i would personaly recommend MSI or Asus ROG for sims 3 or 4 but i dont talk 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about Mac xD If it works then thats great, no matter the laptop you have as long as it can handle the game for a long time x)