Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I did something silly with the saves, can I fix this?

Sasquatch7Sasquatch7 Posts: 240 Member
edited December 2015 in PC - Technical Discussions
I got a new computer earlier this year, and when I did, I decided to only copy over some of my saves. I copied all of them onto my external hard drive, but I only brought the ones that I was actively playing from the external to the new computer.

Now I want to start playing some of those older saves again, but I can't copy and paste them in the saves folder, because there are new files with the same names as the old saves. Is there anything that I can do to rename the saves, or am I just going to have to move the files back and forth based off of which save I want to play? I was able to load the old saves when I pulled the current folder to the desktop and put the old one in, but that's a pain I'd like to avoid, if possible.

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited December 2015
    Maybe you can try to rename the slots. Each different save is like "slot_00000001" and the different "save.ver"s. So what you do is just name the new ones something else like "slot_00000009" along with the respective versions as well.

Eg:
    slot_00000009.save
    slot_00000009.save.ver0
    slot_00000009.save.ver1
    slot_00000009.save.ver2
    slot_00000009.save.ver3
    slot_00000009.save.ver4

Then start the game to check if they're still there.

If they are, you can quit the game and put back the old ones and there will be some files that you might need to replace which is the autosave files. Just replace those and you'll be fine.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hello.
    If after doing what Dekay posted you are still unable to use the files, go into the game and use the "save as" option to create further versions of the new files. Continue to do that until you have slot numbers that aren't the same as your other old save games. Then move to the desktop the new save game slot files that have the same numbers as the old ones. (The moving to the desktop is just as a back up ) Place the old save games files into the saves folder.
  • Options
    Sasquatch7Sasquatch7 Posts: 240 Member
    I just wanted to say, in case anyone else ever has this problem, that @DeKay 's solution of renaming the saves seems to have worked. I haven't tested out every single save because I had a lot in the folder, but I spent about 15 minutes renaming everything to a higher number than the ones in my current saves folder, and just now I was able to load the Legacy household that I was interested in playing :) Now I'm going to go through and delete all of the excess saves, which won't be fun, but I was happy to find a way to be able to play any save I'd like without having to switch around folders each time. Thanks for the help, all of you :)
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Sasquatch7 wrote: »
    I just wanted to say, in case anyone else ever has this problem, that @DeKay 's solution of renaming the saves seems to have worked. I haven't tested out every single save because I had a lot in the folder, but I spent about 15 minutes renaming everything to a higher number than the ones in my current saves folder, and just now I was able to load the Legacy household that I was interested in playing :) Now I'm going to go through and delete all of the excess saves, which won't be fun, but I was happy to find a way to be able to play any save I'd like without having to switch around folders each time. Thanks for the help, all of you :)

Thankyou very much for updating and letting us know that it worked :) That is great!
  • Options
    That's awesome. Thank you so much for reporting back with the results. :)
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    LunarBritneyLunarBritney Posts: 41 Member
    So i wanted to merge my save files and the method @DeKay suggested works but it seems that there are two types of those like there are a couple of slot_000001.save and couple of slot_000002.save and the folder i want to merge with the last number is 6 so do i rename slot_00000001 to slot_000000007 and the files with slot_0000000002 to slot_0000008?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2017
    @gfrgrgr Slot_00000001 is the Autosave - leave that one alone. You can also leave your current ones alone. As long as you don't have a duplicate number when you try to copy over (because it will make a filename that the game can't see), you're fine. There's no order to the rest of them, and they will stay distinct when you look at Load Game.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    ^ Yeah, what luthienrising said is right. You don't have to put the slot_00000001 of the second folder to the first folder. Just rename the others and them move then to the folder you want.
    x3vZicL.gif