Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will neighbourhood editing ever be an option?

I came to The Sims from Sim City back in 2000

Building cities was my thing, playing The Sims was my thing, in TS2 I eventually used Sim City 3 to build a neighbourhood but that was nothing compared to joy of a CAW tool in TS3 B)

Ok, TS4 now looks unlikely to have a CAW tool, but what about the option to add lots and move them around? What about adding trees and effects?

In TS2 you could do that in the base game, you could do that in TS3 after Ambitions but thanks to CAW, I built my own world as I wanted straight away :smile:

But in TS4 I hear horror stories of tiny worlds with not many lots.

Will they ever give players the option to make their worlds their own? At least add some lots and maybe some trees?

What about add a balloon? In TS3 I call the balloon the 'charm balloon' as it adds charm to the game.

Why are TS4 players being given nothing as usual? It isn't TS1 so why is the game as limited as TS1, but without the same charm?

Discuss nicely :smile:

The Sims: Imagine...
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member

Building cities was my thing, playing The Sims was my thing, in TS2 I eventually used Sim City 3 to build a neighbourhood but that was nothing compared to joy of a CAW tool in TS3 B)

Ok, TS4 now looks unlikely to have a CAW tool, but what about the option to add lots and move them around? What about adding trees and effects?

In TS2 you could do that in the base game, you could do that in TS3 after Ambitions but thanks to CAW, I built my own world as I wanted straight away :smile:

Will they ever give players the option to make their worlds their own? At least add some lots and maybe some trees?

What about add a balloon? In TS3 I call the balloon the 'charm balloon' as it adds charm to the game.

Why are TS4 players being given nothing as usual? It isn't TS1 so why is the game as limited as TS1, but without the same charm?

No one knows.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I would love to be able to edit the public spaces.
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    I really hope we will be able to create worlds for this game someday! I want to remake Sunset Valley and possibly other TS3 worlds. But the way the map works makes me worried that CAW will never exist in TS4, neither lot placement. I mean, the map is just a picture lol.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Considering the neighbourhoods in this game are pre-designed IE every rock is placed and shaped, as are the roads, lots, ETC... I'd say it's unlikely that neighbourhood editing will be added to the game.
    raw
  • Options
    HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    It seems unlikely with how the neighborhoods look. That makes me a little disappointed because I love to see what other people make.

The other map design that they had makes it seem like it could be possible. I wouldn't really trust EA to give us this much.

But I'd love to be wrong.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Thanks for the feedback so far :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited November 2015
    There was an extensive discussion on the forums with one (or maybe more) of the SimGurus last ... December? ... about what we were looking for in world/neighbourhood editing. I suspect that something is at least possible and has at least been considered, or that discussion would not have happened. Finding what in the release cycle funds the development, and deciding what to develop exactly if that turns up, is a whole other thing, and none of us can know those answers, if they exist yet. (edited for a typo)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    With the shameful duotone map view being a 2D image, never.
  • Options
    There was an extensive discussion on the forums with one (or maybe more) of the SimGurus last ... December? ... about what we were looking for in world/neighbourhood editing. I suspect that something is at least possible and has at least been considered, or that discussion would not have happened. Finding what in the release cycle funds the development, and deciding what to develop exactly if that turns up, is a whole other thing, and none of us can know those answers, if they exist yet. (edited for a typo)

A bit like toddlers then, they are 'looking into it' but then go quiet and never mention it again...

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015

A bit like toddlers then, they are 'looking into it' but then go quiet and never mention it again...

Or can't, until they have features down and a release date. (I'm sure this is as frustrating for them as it is for us. I know I often find it frustrating to not be allowed to talk about my work, which is the usual case.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Or can't, until they have features down and a release date. (I'm sure this is as frustrating for them as it is for us. I know I often find it frustrating to not be allowed to talk about my work, which is the usual case.)

Good points :smile:

There is such a backlog of things to do it seems like things have gone haywire over there

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    edited November 2015
    I was a CAW builder in TS3, too, and with that experience, I would say that TS4 world editing IS possible if they wanted to allow it. If you fly around the neighborhoods in camera mode, you can see that TS4 worlds (by which, I mean the whole loaded neighborhood you see and play in) don't look very different from the way TS3 worlds were put together, the way lots were placed, objects, trees, effects, and all the other elements. I've even found the oh so familiar lot tears! At the very least, we should be allowed to move and delete world objects and trees in game mode like we could in TS3.

Moving or changing lots would be the only thing that I could see being problematic because of the way lots are selected from a separate map view and not just by clicking directly on the lot in the open world. If they would make lots selectable from within neighborhood view, maybe, but that would add another loading screen to wait through—load the world select menu > load the world > load the neighborhood > load the house. I'd be fine with that, if it meant we were allowed to have full world editing, but maybe a lot of people wouldn't be?

But I really see absolutely no reason why we can't at least delete a palm tree or move a picnic table or place an extra trash bin or something. No reason at all. I'm very annoyed that they're not allowing us that much.
  • Options

Good points :smile:

There is such a backlog of things to do it seems like things have gone haywire over there

I don't think we know enough to say there's a "backlog" or that anything's "gone haywire". There could be a clear plan that things are falling into nicely, with a lot of what's been highly requested (and is possible) well on the way through development. It's a one-way window, though, and we're on the side that can't see. It's easy to imagine anything you like behind that dark glass; doesn't make whatever we imagine true.
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    I hope they do add in a CAW or neighborhood editor one day. I love seeing what other users create, and sometimes I see things that I'd at least like to adjust. It may very well be possible, but there's no way any of us could tell you if they'll add it or not. It may interfere with their attempt to make more money or it may draw more players to the Sims 4. It could be good or bad, possible or improbable.

Very hard to say... At the very least I hope they will share a tool for users to use, it's not really "fair" that a portion of creators can't create the way they're used to or the way they long to within the Sims 4.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member

The thing that bothers me about your post is you keep referring to the sim players, like it is about us and not you. sorry if this sounds negative. How about why am I/we being given nothing as usual or Will they ever give me/us the option to make my own world.
    Sorry but it just seems to me that you are talkin about us and not you.
  • Options
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I would love to be able to edit the public spaces.

I would love that, have always wanted to do that also
  • Options
    Evalen wrote: »

The thing that bothers me about your post is you keep referring to the sim players, like it is about us and not you. sorry if this sounds negative. How about why am I/we being given nothing as usual or Will they ever give me/us the option to make my own world.

I am speaking out on behalf of others :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

Why? Do you not play or have the game.
  • Options

Why? Do you not play or have the game.

No, I wouldn't buy it, sorry.

But I still feel obliged to speak out as I have been a member of the community for 15 years :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    As I see it no one needs anyone to speak out for them, they are pretty audible around here.
    Sorry you are not buying the game, did you try the free offer.
    There are things like CAW that I would like to see in the future and some other things, but I am happy with what I have seen so far and can't wait for the Get Together Ep. They have been adding some really nice stuff so far.
  • Options
    As I see it no one needs anyone to speak out for them, they are pretty audible around here.
    There are things like CAW that I would like to see in the future and some other things, but I am happy with what I have seen so far and can't wait for the Get Together Ep. They have been adding some really nice stuff so far.

Some players are very shy at speaking on here and I do not wish for their voices to fall on death ears. I am like a messenger ;)

But I had seen enough to put me off TS4

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

Some players are very shy at speaking on here and I do not wish for their voices to fall on death ears. I am like a messenger ;)

I haven't seen a shy person out here yet. except those who love the game. But you are a one sided messenger.
    Oh well have fun on the forum, that is what it is for. don't want to derail your message.

• Options

I haven't seen a shy person out here yet. except those who love the game. But you are a one sided messenger.
    Oh well have fun on the forum, that is what it is for. don't want to derail your message.

Cheers
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2015
    Yes I'd love for neighborhood editing and thanks for making this thread king. Some Simmers are actually shy. I mean it took me many years to even get the guts to join forums.

I was actually talking about this with another Simmer in another thread how we both like making our own world look. Being a builder, I'd love to have more creative tools especially for neighborhood editing. The Sims 2 offered more creative freedom for me than the Sims 4 does in terms of having a town editor. Plus it had that SimCity hook up, so Simmers could make their own worlds too. It was awesome.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yes I'd love for neighborhood editing and thanks for making this thread king. Some Simmers are actually shy. I mean it took me many years to even get the guts to join forums.

I was actually talking about this with another Simmer in another thread how we both like making our own world look. Being a builder, I'd love to have more creative tools especially for neighborhood editing. The Sims 2 offered more creative freedom for me than the Sims 4 does in terms of having a town editor. Plus it had that SimCity hook up, so Simmers could make their own worlds too. It was awesome.

Thanks for the feedback :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg