Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are peoples thoughts on "stealing" In the gallery?

Well I'm gunna just say it....I feel like creations are being stolen. If you download from me or anyone else I don't feel like you should re-upload the creation. If you modify the creation (example: change furnishing in a home, change a sim slightly) then you should always credit the original creator in the description. I know that some feel like this is not an issue, and that when you up-load something it is for others to use. Which I agree. Things in the gallery ARE for other people to use. Use in their game....not use to re-upload into the gallery so that they can get some downloads. There has also been an increase in "stolen" things receiving Maxis Faves. I think it would be a good idea to have a way to not allow re-uploading. I know that there is the original by tag, but it seems like that is not enough. It is very easy for people to get around the original tag and remove it from the creations. Some people I'm sure disagree with me, but this is how I feel about the subject of things being stolen. It has happened to me, which is why I feel pretty strongly about it. What are your guys thoughts? Is it theft? Admiration for the creation? Or just not a big deal?

Lemme know :)

Please don't be hateful towards one another in this thread. I'm hoping to have a very civil and adult debate here. Lets keep the Zagadoos to ourselves and just talk about it.
TunnelSnakesRule_400x400.jpg

Origin Id On Gallery ropodog

MY YOUTUBE

MY TUMBLER

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    It is rude. Lesser evil than stealing a mod or CC from someone and claiming it as your own, but still rude.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    MandysAMessMandysAMess Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited September 2015
    Mightydan wrote: »
    You're basically giving permission to everyone to use your creations as they please once you upload them to the gallery. Any simmer is free to download your creation and place it in their game, edit it, feed your sims to the cowplant, paint your house pink, etc.
    Once uploaded to the gallery, our creations stop being ours and belong to EA.

Sure, everybody would like to be recognised and credited for their own creations. However, you must remember that this isn't a popularity contest. Don't make a big deal about it. The only thing that matters is that you're happy with your creations and are able to enjoy playing with them. Besides, I bet that most of these "thieves" are just kids reuploading stuff they like to the gallery. I doubt they're doing this with ill intent.

I totally agree with you! I think the majority of the re-uploads aren't done to take credit or 'steal', a lot of people use the gallery as a back-up for their sims & lots and don't even think about it.
    My Simblr: WaffleKone
  • Options
    NOVEMBER_11SARAHNOVEMBER_11SARAH Posts: 767 Member
    You're basically giving permission to everyone to use your creations as they please once you upload them to the gallery. Any simmer is free to download your creation and place it in their game, edit it, feed your sims to the cowplant, paint your house pink, etc.

Sure, everybody would like to be recognised and credited for their own creations. However, you must remember that this isn't a popularity contest. Don't make a big deal about it. The only thing that matters is that you're happy with your creations and are able to enjoy playing with them. Besides, I bet that most of these "thieves" are just kids reuploading stuff they like to the gallery. I doubt they're doing this with ill intent.

Sometimes I think it could just be kids etc. but I kept having this person who had 100s of followers steal my creations and just re-upload them. They never changed anything about the house they would just re-upload it and because they were "Sims" famous they would always have more downloads from my stolen creations. That's why I stopped uploading houses and quite frankly we shouldn't have to stop uploading for fear of our creations getting stolen.
    New Zealand!!!
    I have dyslexia so my grammar sucks.
    Sim Story:
    https://smfblog11.wordpress.com/
    Simblr:
    http://thestrangenessofstrangetown.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Once you upload to the Gallery, it is no longer yours. It is Maxis's.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,669 Member
    This is why I always keep my nice creations to myself unless I feel like sharing. :innocent:
    My Top Song of the Day: Empty by The Click Five
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,998 Member
    I personally don't mind people re-uploading the few things I have created, I just hope they enjoy them. Usually if I re-upload someone else's house or sim it's because I don't want to lose the sim, the house or inventory if my game crashes. (The community works like a cloud) And I let people know that it isn't my creation.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,429 Member
    I think the sudden increase of "stealing" is mainly a bug. If you have downloaded a lot from the gallery, you dont get rid of the original signature even if you completely bulldoze the lot. This has happened twice to me.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,620 Member
    I think it is a big deal. Especially if you put a lot of work into it. I suggest not uploading it if your creations means that much to you. Prehaps make your own "robodog's Creations" thread? That way you can show off your creations without worrying that people will uploading it as their own. Maybe only give your creations via pms?
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,620 Member

I totally agree with you! I think the majority of the re-uploads aren't done to take credit or 'steal', a lot of people use the gallery as a back-up for their sims & lots and don't even think about it.

But there are 2 options one can be uploaded to gallery for everyone to download and the other for personal use (?).
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    It's kind of controversial, as anything uploaded to the Gallery is automatically owned by Maxis but I still think it should be an option whether or not to let others re-upload your creations, they may own the game and Gallery but the work isn't theirs, kind of like how a book may be owned by a publisher but the writer is still the one who made the content and should be praised for it.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member
    Honestly, it bothers me, but when you post something? That's the consequence that comes with it.
    There should be an option to stop people from re-uploading and an option to ask for permission to re-upload.
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,067 Member
    I think the sudden increase of "stealing" is mainly a bug. If you have downloaded a lot from the gallery, you dont get rid of the original signature even if you completely bulldoze the lot. This has happened twice to me.

yes and no
    1) a patch added that
    2) author can be changed if is re-uploaded at a blog, as blogs have no same fields than gallery
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member

In my early days in the game, I would download houses I liked to see how they were built. There is one in my gallery still, that I did this with. I bulldozed the lot and rebuilt. It is not an exact copy. I actually did the work. But the original builder's info is there. It looks like I "stole" it, but I didn't. I learned the lesson to start a whole new build, but I didn't steal anything. It's not, as far as I know, possible to strip out the original builder's info.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I'm not sure how that goes... I can imagine people download a house, adjust it and someone says: "Wow, that looks great what you did to it, can you upload it for me to the gallery?!" I'm not sure if you can see who the original creator is..? Because if not, I can imagine you won't remember. If you can then yes, it would be the decent thing to do to add that information to the upload. But I kind of can imagine people forget that in the process of playing and building and adjusting and sharing. I don't think it's always meant as stealing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    0Chloe wrote: »
    Honestly, it bothers me, but when you post something? That's the consequence that comes with it.
    There should be an option to stop people from re-uploading and an option to ask for permission to re-upload.

Why would there be that option? It belongs to EA once you upload it.
  • Options
    0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member

Oh, it does? I didn't know that. Fair enough. Scrap the option. Lol. :D
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,067 Member

Oh, it does? I didn't know that. Fair enough. Scrap the option. Lol. :D

I also o agree with it
    Better I think when you upload content, EA give it a public license

You know any case of EA or Maxis demanding a blog because upload content from gallery?
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    I don't really mind if someone reuploads my things. It normally says "original by" automatically and that's enough for me. When i upload i share them so everyone can use them however they please, even reupload, if it comes to that.

However i wouldn't reupload anyone elses lots, i guess because I'm a builder myself i see no point in it. I've had the "original by"-bug a few times, where it says someone else built a lot just because i had them placed there before bulldozing and starting over. For someone who is proud of their builds, that's mortifying xD And I've not even shared them because of it.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,463 Member
    edited September 2015
    ropodog wrote: »
    Well I'm gunna just say it....I feel like creations are being stolen. If you download from me or anyone else I don't feel like you should re-upload the creation. If you modify the creation (example: change furnishing in a home, change a sim slightly) then you should always credit the original creator in the description. I know that some feel like this is not an issue, and that when you up-load something it is for others to use. Which I agree. Things in the gallery ARE for other people to use. Use in their game....not use to re-upload into the gallery so that they can get some downloads. There has also been an increase in "stolen" things receiving Maxis Faves. I think it would be a good idea to have a way to not allow re-uploading. I know that there is the original by tag, but it seems like that is not enough. It is very easy for people to get around the original tag and remove it from the creations. Some people I'm sure disagree with me, but this is how I feel about the subject of things being stolen. It has happened to me, which is why I feel pretty strongly about it. What are your guys thoughts? Is it theft? Admiration for the creation? Or just not a big deal?

Lemme know :)

Please don't be hateful towards one another in this thread. I'm hoping to have a very civil and adult debate here. Lets keep the Zagadoos to ourselves and just talk about it.

If I download a sim or lot and change it I ll upload it to download to another pc for safe keeping then I'll remove from the gallery.

I'm sorry I don't count this as stealing and I don't remove the original creators tag. And by the way EA needs to fix it were the tag can't be removed.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top