Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Fans Want Everyday Stuff In The Games.

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
Several people asked why people want dishwashers, and or laundry or anything other mundane thing having to be done in life in their games.

Two words: Life Simulator.

Some say they play these games to escape, I don't do that, I play to 'Play With Life' as the motto of the TS3 says.

I am not looking for a game that is about fantasy (though I love many things about fantasy in my games) but about a Sim that has to do everything I do in my life, has to deal with it, over come it, and persevere. And in the meantime while bad things are happening or the boring mundane things like picking up the trash around the living room, (too many parties?lol) they may find some 'fun' now and then just like we all live.

If I want a game that has no ups and downs, always happy, never makes a Sim sick, they never have to worry about getting sick from not eating properly, worry about dying, worry about someone leaving them, or finding someone cheating, and or worry about their kids, then I would have quit playing years ago and found a 'happyville' game.

Why do some of us want dishwashers? or Laundry and enjoy these things?

Because it's life. Not everything about life has to be in the game but c'mon why should my 'Sims' have a better life than I do? Seriously?

Let's say I am sick with a very bad cold, what do you find in person's living room that is camped out on the couch? Lots of juice glasses, water, cups, and plates on their coffee table. Tissue thrown everywhere, dust gathering, (causing more sneezes) and about five different remotes to their TV, their stereo, whatever else they have rigged up, probably a laptop laying in the floor, a couple of blankets, piled on the couch, a Kindle or NextBook somewhere buried in the covers, (they are so small) a phone in that pile of mess on the table, and maybe many more things in the room.

That's life. And I want my Sims to be as miserable as I am sometimes. That is playing with life. Playing with 'life' to me isn't happy, happy, but somebody is going to have to get better, get up and clean up that mess and or not get better and call the doctor and be rushed to the emergency room. LIFE. (In reference to the game of LIFE). lol

Did you ever play the game of LIFE? the old board game? It's not a happy road most of the time.

Why do I want laundry in The Sims? Because I have to do it. Why should these pixel people have it better than me? I don't own a dishwasher. But that is a luxury to me, so yes, I think my richer Sims should have one. It's not that I can't afford one, it's that there is a problem under my cabinets that one can't be installed without a total remodel of my foundation in my house.

So, yeah, dishwashers are big deal. Not only because Will Wright thought about these things and what Sims should suffer, enjoy, and or make their lives easier or worse but because it's supposed to be about 'life' and life isn't a bed of roses. :p
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    sparkler_rosesparkler_rose Posts: 466 Member
    I still don't personally understand it. I mean I do, but when we have serious bugs, and playing issues, i'd rather have those fixed, or at least something that I think is super fun. But hey if it makes you happy, then more power to ya. Wash on! ;)
  • Options
    Don't you think it's about time I get something out of this game that makes me happy? LOL I mean I have been here since this forum originated on the TS3 and was all moved over here. Considering how much I have been disappointed, upset, and let down...I think it's about time some of us do get some things we would like so we can enjoy this game as much as those who "Like It Just The Way It Is' if that is all true then they can stop right now,..and not add anything else, call it a success and be done with it if it is loved 'Just like It Is'. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    sparkler_rosesparkler_rose Posts: 466 Member
    All I said was that I don't get it... but I also said if you or others are happy then that is great.

Personally I am content with the game. By that I mean there is still a lot I would like changed/added (like TODDLERS!) but I still enjoy it. Heck I still have yet to take any of my sims camping. Not sure why I was so excited to buy OR. Oh well. I'm sure they will eventually
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Hi. :)

I agree with you, but to be honest I'm done asking for stuff for this game. I stopped buying after GTW and have yet to see something new or something that interest me. I mean, I already have and ice-cream maker and dishwasher in TS3, so I'm not wasting my time asking for things, I'll just wait and see if anything 'Extraordinary' comes, but till then I'll have my fun in TS2 and 3. :D
  • Options
    @Astro, I didn't say I was buying the SP. My Avi is a boxing toddler, ready to fight. LOL, But I will install the 'free patch' in case I want to load up the game and finally have the multi eight Sims per household in my game no longer have to wash those by hand. I know it should have been in base when they said the reason was because it wouldn't show the multitasking they had added (eyeroll) but hey, a win is a win.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    This is the one thing I want even more than toddlers; setbacks, failures, seeing my sims go through tough times. It makes their successes seem more rewarding, and their lives more meaningful.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Astro, I didn't say I was buying the SP. My Avi is a boxing toddler, ready to fight. LOL, But I will install the 'free patch' in case I want to load up the game and finally have the multi eight Sims per household in my game no longer have to wash those by hand. I know it should have been in base when they said the reason was because it wouldn't show the multitasking they had added (eyeroll) but hey, a win is a win.
    Eh, I tried to play the game a few weeks ago and encountered more bugs than ever before! I seriously tried to play, but the bugs killed it for me. So I don't now if I'll even try out these dishwashers, or even toddlers (if they're patched in, which I doubt- highly).

Yeah, a win is a win. If people enjoy this game and all that's added to it, Its a 'plus 1' for them, and I'm kinda jealous. :D
    I wanna enjoy the shiny new Sims game, but I can't! :anguished:
  • Options
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    This is the one thing I want even more than toddlers; setbacks, failures, seeing my sims go through tough times. It makes their successes seem more rewarding, and their lives more meaningful.

Agreed, and environment should play a bigger roll like it always did. Not just a -1 point downgrade to happy meter. But impact them all day and until they can clean it up, my Sims in this game groan at the broken commode, say something about the water then leave the room and right back to happy. That's not how life works is it? If my sink is throwing water all over my walls and floor (going to rot them) then I'm not happy just because I left the room. It's kind of superficial and shallow gameplay in the TS4.
  • Options
    CipherMandyCipherMandy Posts: 524 Member
    I actually agree with you completely, Cinebar. This is a life simulation game, I want "life" things in my game. Including dishwashers, washing machines/dryers and so on. It personally adds to my game play. Just as I want my fantasy games to have lightsabers, blasters, Jawas, dragons, magic that shoots out of my finger tips and so on.
  • Options
    ^ This.

I haven't felt challenged since TS2, (Pregnant Sims, need I say more?). I don't feel very challenged in 3, and sure as heck don't feel challenged in 4, (with all the hand-holding you CAN'T fail).
  • Options
    Yeah, there are more people not buying because we do feel the gameplay is too watered down and way too happy. But with that said there are just as many who cry when their Sim isn't happy all the time, and have helped changed the core of the game from it's original meaning and reason to exist.
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    edited July 2015

Yes and yes!

One of the things I miss the most is the wants/fears from TS2. To me, it brought a level of gameplay that was meaningful. I don't want my sims to be perpetually happy in a Utopian world. I want reward and consequence, this to me makes playing fun and an adventure. How we can guide their lives and be there thru their triumphs and misfortunes.

I missed this level of play when TS3 came out. I held out hope they would bring this back for TS4. That has not happened. Heres to hoping they ( The Devs) finally get it and bring it back to TS5.

The devil is in the details and in a Life Sim its even more important to focus in on those "minutia" of details. Even if we were to be guided by how @simgururachel described it, a soap opera, the game seriously lacks drama to be even described as such. I don't know what soaps she watches but the ones I've seen are chock full of crazy drama.
  • Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    I agree, Cinebar. Life is messy. Sims live too much in a vacuum, in this version.
  • Options
    MinaMina Posts: 175 Member
    JoBass24us wrote: »

Yes and yes!

One of the things I miss the most is the wants/fears from TS2. To me, it brought a level of gameplay that was meaningful. I don't want my sims to be perpetually happy in a Utopian world. I want reward and consequence, this to me makes playing fun and an adventure. How we can guide their lives and be there thru their triumphs and misfortunes.

I missed this level of play when TS3 came out. I held out hope they would bring this back for TS4. That has not happened. Heres to hoping they ( The Devs) finally get it and bring it back to TS5.

The devil is in the details and in a Life Sim its even more important to focus in on those "minutia" of details. Even if we were to be guided by how @simgururachel described it, a soap opera, the game seriously lacks drama to be even described as such. I don't know what soaps she watches but the ones I've seen are chock full of crazy drama.

I miss the wants/fears system in TS2, too. I thought it was neat that Romance sims could roll the want the get married AND the fear of getting married at the same time. It's the little things.
  • Options
    SimGamer15SimGamer15 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I miss all sims 2 family interaction. It just made the game feel special. :)
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, I agree with the upshot of what you are saying here.

I never drag trash to the bin or dirty dishes to the sink. My sims have to do it. I may use the cas cheat, but if I want a sim to change appearance, then I need to get them to a mirror or dressing table. I put the notion of animated curtains in the ideas forum as I would like my sims to wake up and let the light in (or shut it out).

It is those little details that enhance the immersion tremendously. For each of these items, there is also the potential for adding new types of sims and interactions - cleaner, for example if we had working washing machines, ironing boards etc.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    SzYKK7z.gif
    And this is why/how i've been playing the sims, for 14 years.
    If i wanna play a fantasy game, I play Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.
    If I wanna play a game about supernatural powers, I play "Life Is Strange"
    If I wanna just watch my virtual dolls go through life experiences in their own quirky way, I play the Sims.
    Because there's no game known, that truly does that in the deep way that the sims has. I'll never forget the sims and the sims bustin' out. Their story was like: "moving out of mom's house and living your own life."
    The "Play with Life" campaign that TS3 had pretty much defined what i always did in the sims. Playing with life, life experiences, good and bad.

Note: Mind you, I have nothing aganist anyone who plays opposite from me. To each their own <3 . However if you'd like to know why these things are so important to others and not to you. I think @Cinebar just hit the nail on the head pretty perfectly.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    SimGamer15SimGamer15 Posts: 2,019 Member
    yeah. I loved how realism played out in the sims 2. :)
  • Options
    While we are on the subject of easy peasy I think the Sim should tell the player they are stressing them out when they make them do several goals, fill several aspiration goals etc. It could add some realism that no one (other than a work alcoholic) enjoys having to fill those linear aspiration goals. Why can't the Sim turn to the player and say 'stop it!' 'you are stressing me out!' 'Stop making me do this ten times!' lol

Not because their motives are pressing but for their own mental health. I know in TS3 and TS4 we have a little bit of this with moodlets but I miss the days when Sims drug their feet when you told them to go do something they didn't want to do, and or against their trait and personality. I think good Sims should refuse to do mean interactions (to the player) but could do them if forced. I think they should look at you and say no, I refuse, lol but then you could eventually make them do it. Why is evil and good the same thing in this game with the mischievous trait available to everyone? Why even bother in CAS to assign different traits if they can all be mean. Any Sims without good traits could and should if we press them, but not if they are good. They should refuse up to a point. Then it's dance puppet, dance puppet.

• Options
    Hm, moved to deadville. O.K. I wasn't giving feedback but was having a discussion explaining for (me) why dishwashers and laundry is important to some of us because others asked why in another thread. But this is feedback? Then what is a discussion now? Is the price of eggs feedback?
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    While we are on the subject of easy peasy I think the Sim should tell the player they are stressing them out when they make them do several goals, fill several aspiration goals etc. It could add some realism that no one (other than a work alcoholic) enjoys having to fill those linear aspiration goals. Why can't the Sim turn to the player and say 'stop it!' 'you are stressing me out!' 'Stop making me do this ten times!' lol

Not because their motives are pressing but for their own mental health. I know in TS3 and TS4 we have a little bit of this with moodlets but I miss the days when Sims drug their feet when you told them to go do something they didn't want to do, and or against their trait and personality. I think good Sims should refuse to do mean interactions (to the player) but could do them if forced. I think they should look at you and say no, I refuse, lol but then you could eventually make them do it. Why is evil and good the same thing in this game with the mischievous trait available to everyone? Why even bother in CAS to assign different traits if they can all be mean. Any Sims without good traits could and should if we press them, but not if they are good. They should refuse up to a point. Then it's dance puppet, dance puppet.

I like this as well. Of course, it will be open to the criticism that some control of our sims has been taken away! For me, this is a price worth paying, providing that the game provides a solution to the 'puzzle' of how to, say, tell a sim to go away without being mean - Plead for Mercy, perhaps? ;)

I have been exploring the mischief trait recently and it is actually proving to be one of the most interesting set of interactions. I still haven't got to the bottom of it. Sometimes it is positive, others negative. I am pretty sure the outcome isn't random.

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with the upshot of what you are saying here.

I never drag trash to the bin or dirty dishes to the sink. My sims have to do it. I may use the cas cheat, but if I want a sim to change appearance, then I need to get them to a mirror or dressing table. I put the notion of animated curtains in the ideas forum as I would like my sims to wake up and let the light in (or shut it out).

It is those little details that enhance the immersion tremendously. For each of these items, there is also the potential for adding new types of sims and interactions - cleaner, for example if we had working washing machines, ironing boards etc.

I used the trash a few times. Just felt wrong. I used the sink a few times...you know it breaks the sinks (Sims can no longer use it) if you drag the dishes to the sinks. I don't do that and again it just feels wrong. Simulation. Get off your duff Sim, do the dishes but thank goodness with so many some of my Sims can put them in a dishwasher again, I hope they actually use it, lol, but when I think 'Sims' I think about them having to do everything I have to do and that means no slot popping but walk to that fridge while toddler screams to get that bottle. Good times. >:)
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2015
    The Sims used to be about taking the every day mundane and turning it into something fun, exciting, or just a joke. The worst possible tragedy in TS4 is dropping ice cream on the floor, lol.

I would prefer having a game with everyday real-life events and consequences, as long as they "Sim-ify" them, than to have one where my Sim could be an elite master secret agent or something unrealistic like that.
  • Options
    mtwtfss71mtwtfss71 Posts: 173 Member

Yes! This is a huge issue for me. I want my Sims to suffer and I want to be challenged as a player to help my Sims get through the tough times. Then, when (and if) they succeed in life, I will feel rewarded for my efforts. To me, this is the 'game' part of the game and it is woefully missing.