Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Switchable graphics, config log shows intel hd graphics 3000

SandorCleganeSandorClegane Posts: 9 New Member
Hi everyone,

My laptop has two graphics cards, namely Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon 7650M. I'm under the impression that Sims 4 runs on HD Graphics because the default setting are always on low medium whereas with my AMD it should be on medium.

When I open my config log it says this for graphics:

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Name (database): Mobile SandyBridge GT2+ [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 0126, Board: 17f4103c, Chipset: 0009
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 8.17.10.1333, GUID: D7B78E66-4266-11CF-B976-FE37B7C2C535
Driver version: 1333
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 2094MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
Opt. features: +sab +a8l8 +rgba16f +r32f +bc4 +bc5 -rawz +intz

But in my AMD Catalyst Control Center, I have set Sims 4 to HIgh Performance. My drivers are also up to date.

When I check my graphicscards.sgr file, I've found this for the AMD Radeon 7000M series:

card 0x6842 "AMD Radeon HD 7000M Series" $cardLevelMedium $resolutionLow

and for my HD Graphics:

card 0x0126 "Mobile SandyBridge GT2+" $cardLevelLowmedium $resolutionMedium

So I really don't know how to make Sims 4 properly run on my AMD instead of HD Graphics.

Any help appreciated.

Edit: It's defintely running on HD Graphics. I tried switching it from High Performance to Energy Saving in the CCC and there was no difference at all.
Post edited by SandorClegane on

Comments

• Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > how to change graphics card
    >

Thanks for the answer, but I already read that thread.

TS4.exe is already on high performance in my Catalyst Control Center but it's still running on HD Graphics 3000.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @luthienrising @MsPhy do either one of you have switchable graphics? It does not seem to be working for op. Thanks for your input
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    @luthienrising @MsPhy do either one of you have switchable graphics? It does not seem to be working for op. Thanks for your input

I don't. I'm pretty sure @MsPhy doesn't either :(

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,915 Member
    edited July 2015
    Someone posted a Youtube video on how to switch a game using AMD processors, HD graphics and Radeon with Catalyst. He used a different game to explain how to and it seems to include changing 3 options. It might be different to the NVidia explanations.
    The actual "How to" starts about 2.42 into the video after he complains a bit about frame rates. It might give you some ideas about Sims4. The "Target" launcher is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4.exe" (ignore quotes when entering)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oB2oDO-IFk
  • Options
    @Luthienrising thanks. My laptop has the intel disabled. It only runs on Nvidia so I have not run into this issue. also @chesterbigbird may know how to force the game to use the other graphics card or @ceejay402 since they use amd ?

• Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Nope, I don't have it either. I know I've read about it; maybe I can track down the thread.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hi everyone,

My laptop has two graphics cards, namely Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon 7650M. I'm under the impression that Sims 4 runs on HD Graphics because the default setting are always on low medium whereas with my AMD it should be on medium.

When I open my config log it says this for graphics:

=== Graphics device info ===
    Number: 0
    Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
    Name (database): Mobile SandyBridge GT2+ [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
    Vendor: Intel
    Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 0126, Board: 17f4103c, Chipset: 0009
    Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 8.17.10.1333, GUID: D7B78E66-4266-11CF-B976-FE37B7C2C535
    Driver version: 1333
    Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
    Texture memory: 2094MB
    Vertex program: 3.0
    Pixel program: 3.0
    Hardware TnL: 1
    Opt. features: +sab +a8l8 +rgba16f +r32f +bc4 +bc5 -rawz +intz

But in my AMD Catalyst Control Center, I have set Sims 4 to HIgh Performance. My drivers are also up to date.

When I check my graphicscards.sgr file, I've found this for the AMD Radeon 7000M series:

and for my HD Graphics:

So I really don't know how to make Sims 4 properly run on my AMD instead of HD Graphics.

Any help appreciated.

Edit: It's defintely running on HD Graphics. I tried switching it from High Performance to Energy Saving in the CCC and there was no difference at all.

hey @SandorClegane i have 8970m setting up the card in CCC should be the only thing needed. i too have my integrated chip listed as found and match. its not a an issue my card runs the game. one way you can prove to yourself is run this amd system monitor app
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDSystemMonitor.aspx

it will show when at desktop amd is at 0% and when you launch the game you will immediately get stats for the card. of course if you dont get stats for the card let me know that would mean your system isnt switching.

now i admit ive been lazy :) i have been meaning to alter config file to see if it would make a difference but honestly i highly doubt. but i be happy to tinker tonight if it woudl help you.

now i looked at the computer list of cards and 7650m wasnt listed im wondering what your drivers are called, so for example if they are called 7000m the game recognizes that as low like 3000 reading is fundamental i see you already determined this is the closest card/driver listed in the game as well.

also want to confirm that the default setting of low is the only issue you are having.

• Options
    MsPhy wrote: »
    Nope, I don't have it either. I know I've read about it; maybe I can track down the thread.

Thanks and no need to track down that thread I already posted the thread. Ceejay can help them since they play on AMD and also have an amd laptop
  • Options
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > SandorClegane wrote: »
    >
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > My laptop has two graphics cards, namely Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon 7650M. I'm under the impression that Sims 4 runs on HD Graphics because the default setting are always on low medium whereas with my AMD it should be on medium.
    >
    > When I open my config log it says this for graphics:
    >
    > === Graphics device info ===
    > Number: 0
    > Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
    > Name (database): Mobile SandyBridge GT2+ [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
    > Vendor: Intel
    > Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 0126, Board: 17f4103c, Chipset: 0009
    > Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 8.17.10.1333, GUID: D7B78E66-4266-11CF-B976-FE37B7C2C535
    > Driver version: 1333
    > Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
    > Texture memory: 2094MB
    > Vertex program: 3.0
    > Pixel program: 3.0
    > Hardware TnL: 1
    > Opt. features: +sab +a8l8 +rgba16f +r32f +bc4 +bc5 -rawz +intz
    >
    > But in my AMD Catalyst Control Center, I have set Sims 4 to HIgh Performance. My drivers are also up to date.
    >
    > When I check my graphicscards.sgr file, I've found this for the AMD Radeon 7000M series:
    >
    > card 0x6842 "AMD Radeon HD 7000M Series" $cardLevelMedium $resolutionLow
    >
    > and for my HD Graphics:
    >
    > card 0x0126 "Mobile SandyBridge GT2+" $cardLevelLowmedium $resolutionMedium
    >
    > So I really don't know how to make Sims 4 properly run on my AMD instead of HD Graphics.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Edit: It's defintely running on HD Graphics. I tried switching it from High Performance to Energy Saving in the CCC and there was no difference at all.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > hey SandorClegane i have 8970m setting up the card in CCC should be the only thing needed. i too have my integrated chip listed as found and match. its not a an issue my card runs the game. one way you can prove to yourself is run this amd system monitor app
    >
    >
    > it will show when at desktop amd is at 0% and when you launch the game you will immediately get stats for the card. of course if you dont get stats for the card let me know that would mean your system isnt switching.
    >
    > now i admit ive been lazy :) i have been meaning to alter config file to see if it would make a difference but honestly i highly doubt. but i be happy to tinker tonight if it woudl help you.
    >
    > now i looked at the computer list of cards and 7650m wasnt listed im wondering what your drivers are called, so for example if they are called 7000m the game recognizes that as low like 3000 reading is fundamental i see you already determined this is the closest card/driver listed in the game as well.
    >
    > also want to confirm that the default setting of low is the only issue you are having.

My driver is called AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series (so I think it belongs to the 7000M Series). Originally it was 7650M but it changed when I installed the Catalyst Control Center.

I installed the system monitor and when I launched the game it went from 0% to 60%. So I guess it ran on my AMD after all. Strange though, because when I set it on power saving in the CCC (it should use the HD Graphics then) it remained completely the same even though the 7650M should be better than HD Graphics 3000.

This is what the GraphicsCards.sgr says about the 7000M Series:

And about the HD Graphics 3000:

So, thanks for the help :)
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Switch the gpu using instructions @ceejay402 mentioned.
    Then it'll use your amd one.
    Sorry sims 4 likes to default to Intel HD, typically.
    But then depending on your resolution, decide which graphics setting is best.
    This should optimise performance. I know the amd should be better thn the Intel HD.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I guess I just expected a bit too much from my AMD Card lol.

Ceejay, one more question. I raised my settings to medium and on that system monitor the AMD cards now show between 90 and 100 per cent. A big jump from low medium settings when it was around 60-65. Is is dangerous for it to be so high? Like, could my GPU overheat?

With high and ultra it's also that high. I'm really wondering now just how high my settings should be.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I guess I just expected a bit too much from my AMD Card lol.

Ceejay, one more question. I raised my settings to medium and on that system monitor the AMD cards now show between 90 and 100 per cent. A big jump from low medium settings when it was around 60-65. Is is dangerous for it to be so high? Like, could my GPU overheat?

With high and ultra it's also that high. I'm really wondering now just how high my settings should be.

its a handy app im glad it helped :) for gamers reaching high % with cards is desired. it means one your CPU is strong enough and not bottlenecking the GPU and of course you are getting better visuals

things to consider is the age of the laptop if your system is in its third year then do be mindful how its running at a higher level. also heat, working harder means higher heat. so for sure keep it clean of dust and always have the system on a cooling pad with added fans and plugged in and monitor heat to confirm your temps arent getting too high.

i run my card on ultra for all games so my GPU usage hovers around 95-98%

so for sure if you start to have any performance issues with higher settings definitely lower but do play around with settings and resolution
  • Options
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > SandorClegane wrote: »
    >
    > I guess I just expected a bit too much from my AMD Card lol.
    >
    > Ceejay, one more question. I raised my settings to medium and on that system monitor the AMD cards now show between 90 and 100 per cent. A big jump from low medium settings when it was around 60-65. Is is dangerous for it to be so high? Like, could my GPU overheat?
    >
    > With high and ultra it's also that high. I'm really wondering now just how high my settings should be.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > its a handy app im glad it helped :) for gamers reaching high % with cards is desired. it means one your CPU is strong enough and not bottlenecking the GPU and of course you are getting better visuals
    >
    > things to consider is the age of the laptop if your system is in its third year then do be mindful how its running at a higher level. also heat, working harder means higher heat. so for sure keep it clean of dust and always have the system on a cooling pad with added fans and plugged in and monitor heat to confirm your temps are getting too high.
    >
    > i run may card on ultra for all games so my GPU usage hovers around 95-98%

Okay, thanks again for the help.

My laptop will be 4 years old in September. So I'll just put my settings on medium/high for now just to be safe.
  • Options
    you bet :) happy simming