Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Remarks from EA's COO

lyralyra Posts: 420 Member
edited July 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I just found this article on Honeywell regarding TS4:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-07-01-eas-moore

Some highlights:
: When it comes to adding new IP to that, do you have to be perhaps..pickier than maybe other people, because you do want to have a game that has the potential to build that sort of legacy?

Peter Moore: When you look at new IP, it's got to be IP that can't be watered-down; it's got to be something you can build upon. Sims is probably one of the best examples of that, where not only does the game grow over the years, the game you ship and then the expansion packs. You think about everything you do and it's four or five years later which is a little bit of a challenge then when you ship a new one, because Sims 3 players going "Wait a second."

"When you look at new IP, it's got to be IP that can't be watered-down; it's got to be something you can build upon"
Q: "Where's everything in Sims 4?"

Peter Moore: "I got all this stuff," and they forget, "well it's taken me years, to accumulate this." Then you ship Sims 4 - now we just did the expansion pack and everything's starting to feel good about Sims 4 now - but it takes a long time to do that and we always totally underestimate that when we ship a Sims game. You forget what most people now are living with.

Q: Vampires, dogs ...

Peter Moore: Everything! They're on their fifth relationship! The Sims players...They're a hard-core bunch, a very hard-core bunch.

Toddlers and swimming pools! Think of that and all the furore that was.

New IP is a little bit of a challenge because you've got to build it and the gamer has to have patience that the first one is kind of putting a stake in the ground. Mass Effect, the first one was exclusive on Xbox 360 and then it grows and then that opening video is the sum of three previous Mass Effects and when N7 comes on there and the little tingle goes up your spine. That doesn't come overnight. That takes decades, and we've learned that.

Thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Well, ha-ha.

Mass Effect, the first one that was temporarily XBOX exclusive he mentions - wasn't EA's game at all.
    EA bought Bioware afterwards.

For sakes of that series, and I'm fan, I just hope ME4 which is will be released next year, won't be a mediocre sequel like they did with Sims 4.
  • Options
    lyralyra Posts: 420 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm not sure why this was moved to Feedback, as it's a news posting, not feedback on the game. @SimGuruDrake
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Well, ha-ha.

Mass Effect, the first one that was temporarily XBOX exclusive he mentions - wasn't EA's game at all.
    EA bought Bioware afterwards.

For sakes of that series, and I'm fan, I just hope ME4 which is will be released next year, won't be a mediocre sequel like they did with Sims 4.

I prefered ME1 over the second one but it wasn't bad, going to play the third one ina few hours I hope it's good :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    marcellala wrote: »
    I found this very telling:

Peter Moore: Everything! They’re on their fifth relationship! The Sims players…They’re a hard-core bunch, a very hard-core bunch.

He doesn't even know that this is the fourth version.. He doesn't know anything about us.

maybe he means Medieval, no idea :grimace:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    "everything's starting to feel good about Sims 4 now."

He's right. Ever since I stopped playing it, I've been feeling just fine. As someone who begrudgingly was going buy everything this game had to offer (I hate that EPs and SPs come with less), I'm very happy with the amount of money I've saved.

Toddlers and family-focused play came 4 or 5 years after TS1, right? So is he saying that we'll just need to wait for TS5 before we get our generational play back? OK, fine I'll wait--with my purse closed.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    "Then you ship Sims 4 - now we just did the expansion pack and everything's starting to feel good about Sims 4 now"

I think he's oblivious, and it just shows why TS4 still has tons of issues and problems -- the people behind it don't know what they're doing.

yes, the more i depart from TS4 the better it feels - pure self preservation

& yes, they have no idea what sims is about :tired_face:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member

Peter Moore: Everything! They’re on their fifth relationship! The Sims players…They’re a hard-core bunch, a very hard-core bunch.

He doesn't even know that this is the fourth version.. He doesn't know anything about us.

I'm worried he counts Olympus as a game and that is the "mystery 5th".
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2015
    I thought this part was interesting:
    "Q: Is that a case of you talking to the studios about what they want to do and trusting them to know how much time they need, or does it come from you?

Peter Moore: It's actually from the studio. The studio will come, we sit down, we have what we call 'key franchise reviews', we have three, four year views of what our portfolio will be. We then sit down with the studio heads and say "Okay, what do you need?"

I know everybody thinks companies like us say "you must deliver the game!" That's not how it happens. The big bad EA forces the game out before...That's not what happens. The studios are in control, they know what their milestones are. If a studio says "Look, we just need the time," they need the time.

We've done that with golf, just recently, certainly did it with Battlefield Hardline last year. Nine times out of ten it's always for the benefit of the player. It's also for the benefit of the franchise, look at Battlefield Hardline. If we had forced it to come out in October and it was a bad experience, that's two strikes on that franchise because we were still reeling a little bit from Battlefield 4, which now is rock-solid and everybody's loving it.

A company like ourselves, that invests billions of dollars every year in building up the games, bringing the games to market, you've got to have a long-term plan. Those plans always change. I could sit here off the top of my head and tell you what's going to ship in FY 18, right now, as regards to the plan. Then I'd sit here in FY 18 and say, "Well now that didn't quite work out the way it is." That's just the way our industry is, but you have to have the discipline to say that if a game isn't going to make it, or if we have to give a game a year off if it's an annual game, that you just fill in with other stuff and make it all happen. That's who we are."
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

Sims 1
    Sims Online
    Sims 2
    Sims 3
    Sims 4

There are also the "My Sims" series.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Sims 1
    Sims Online
    Sims 2
    Sims 3
    Sims 4

There are also the "My Sims" series.

Oh yeah. I forgot about Sims online. Mainly because I never touched it.
  • Options
    Also The Sims Medival
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    It seems that he doesn't really understand Sims players. He is sorta giving hype where there really isn't any. He pretends to know.

I do feel just fine as I stopped playing the game. The only remorse I have is that I bought the game along with the other things. But I can say that about the past year with the exception of 1 or 2 games.

The I got all this stuff comment is null when you compare it to one single game that isn't even complete yet and I can vouch for it and the gameplay. Not only I can vouch for it, but so can the Steam players that play it. 1 month and they hit 1 million copies sold ( remember the game is not finished and not expected to be finished until next year). It has stayed in Steams # 1 top selling list since it dropped a month ago..

I got all this cool stuff in a base game not even complete. I have a development team that actually listens to their customers/players. I don't have to wait years to enjoy actual gameplay in a game or be nickeled and dimed to death for tiny DLC.. This game so caters to its player base, I can host my own server with my rules.. you know.. I really do rule in this game.. no gimmick.. real open world sandbox..no gimmicks..

I could go on, but I was just lurking and found what he said amusing.. so I replied (bored to tears waiting for the hubby to get home to play our game..lol).
  • Options
    KarmaKarma Posts: 837 Member
    Everything in this thread is giving me life, mawma! Slay 🐸🐸🐸🐸! Preach!
    WsYdHZD.jpg

• Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    Can someone please enlighten me what he means with "IP"?
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited July 2015
    @Cyron43. It stands for Intellectual property. It's referring to the various Series they own or pay royalties for (like Star Wars) and release, like TS and others.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!