Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Text disappearing???

The last two (I think) patches haven't showed properly in my game. The text doesn't show up at all. It isn't the codes instead of text problem, because the space for the text is there but the actual words aren't. Things such as invitations to birthday parties or dates show up without text, as does the hovering name above Newcrest when I scroll over it - it just isn't there.
I removed my mods folder and tested it; the problem persisted. I then removed my save and tray folders and repaired the game; it resolved the problem (the text appeared as normal) but after replacing my save, mods, and tray files the problem returned. I'm lost as to how to fix this, if anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them.

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    The blank space problem is pretty much the same as the codes problem. See: http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/11/codes-instead-of-text/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    1Dugawinduncan1Dugawinduncan Posts: 48 Member
    Okay, I followed the instructions there, and it didn't work. So I did a complete uninstall and reinstall through Origin and it still? didn't fix it????? Now what???????????
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    sorry to hear :( first i would reset my files i beleibve on occasion outdated mod can do this

how to reset your sims 4 files, pull your my documents/electronic arts/sim 4 folder to the desktop and run a test game if this fixes the problem you can move back old files to the new but test for problems:

files to move back (but again test each move)
    saves - game save
    options.ini - game settings
    screenshots
    custom music
    mods folder
    tray folder - all your saved builds and sims

and consider running ccleaner since you reinstalled to help clean up leftover files
    Cleaning up the Registry
    Download the free version of this registry cleaner program,
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

• install it, following the on-screen instructions.
    • Launch the program after installation has completed.
    • Click the Registry tab, and click the Scan for Issues button.
    • When scanning has completed, click the Fix Selected Issues... button.
    • When you're prompted to backup, click Yes, accept the default name and location
    • Click Fix All Selected Issues
  • Options
    @ceejay402 Okay, when I tried that, running a completely clean game solved the problem (the text appeared), but when I began moving files back one by one, my Saves folder seems to be causing the problem. What do I do now? I don't want to have to lose all my saves unless I have to.
  • Options
    @ceejay402 Okay, when I tried that, running a completely clean game solved the problem (the text appeared), but when I began moving files back one by one, my Saves folder seems to be causing the problem. What do I do now? I don't want to have to lose all my saves unless I have to.

Pull the saves back out and put them back one at a time. You should be able to figure out which save is corrupt.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Whoa, okay, I've continued testing and my previous comment is totally wrong. The problem seems to be with... everything.
    Running a clean game was fine - but I tested all 5 folders I was saving (no custom music) and no matter which one was in with the other 4 out, there was no text. I removed all of them again - there was no text, even with none of my files in! I repaired the game (all files still out), and opened it - there was text. But again, as soon as I moved anything in, it disappeared, and even in a completely clean game now, the text is STILL MISSING. This is really frustrating, but I don't want to give up hope.
  • Options
    Ok, if it's still an issue after you've tried the other things, your next solution is to uninstall and reinstall the game.
  • Options
    Okay - should I leave the files out or put them back to reinstall? (normally wouldn't be an issue, just wondering because they're what seems to be acting wonky)
  • Options
    Okay - should I leave the files out or put them back to reinstall? (normally wouldn't be an issue, just wondering because they're what seems to be acting wonky)

I would pull them out and then start the game so you have a fresh Sims 4 folder. Then just put back Tray, Saves, Custom Music, Mods, and Screenshots.
  • Options
    Okay. I fully reinstalled and added files back one by one - it all worked perfectly, until adding my Saves folder (the last one) back caused the glitch again. Re-removing it didn't resolve the glitch again, though. It seems like one of my saves is corrupt but once it's in game, the only way to fix the glitch is by repairing. Putting the file in and taking it back out causes the glitch. I'll try a repair with the saves folder in, then if that doesn't work I'll take out saves and repair my game between tests to find the problem. Does this sound good, or should I do something different?
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,597 Member
    Hello.
    Usually uninstalling and reinstalling helps to fix the glitch.
    Did you try a new game without your saves folder in after reinstalling? Was there text then?
    Put the files from the saves folder that end in .sav back into the saves folder one by one, testing after each one. Put one file in, then test the game,then take out. Then do the next one, until you have found which is the cause of the problem.
  • Options
    @rosemow that's the thing - I can't because even though it was fine before I added my saves folder back, the glitch persists even after taking it back out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking I'm going to be forced to scrap my entire saves folder and restart.
  • Options
    Try adding save files back individually. It could be one file that's causing the problem.
  • Options
    No, I don't think you understand what's actually happening here, let me try to explain again.
    All of my game files were in except for the saves folder, and the glitch was NOT happening.
    I put my saves folder in, and the glitch WAS happening.
    I took it back out (so my saves are no longer in the game at all), and the glitch WAS STILL happening.
    This is what happened the other time too; after I reinstalled, the glitch went away, but after adding my saves folder back in then removing it again, the glitch persisted. I don't know how that's possible, but here we are.
  • Options
    It does sound, then, like one of your saves is causing the glitch; hence my suggestion that you try adding just one .save at a time. I would add to that, don't add back the Scratch subfolder (it could be part of your problem) and don't bother trying to add .varX files (older versions of saves) or the .save file #000000001, which is the Autosave.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,597 Member
    With the glitch having returned again, you may need to uninstall and reinstall again, and then start afresh with the new saves folder, without adding back your old saves folder.
  • Options
    Sorry to bring back an old thread, but here we are again.
    I reinstalled (again) and added back my files EXCEPT my saves, because they were what seemed to be carrying the problem, as we determined. It was fine, the text was showing in game. I begin a new save (with a Sim from the my library, if that matters) and not even a Sim week into gameplay, the text is gone again. I repaired the game, hoping it was a one-off thing this time, but it didn't resolve the issue. So now, the glitch is back AGAIN - I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled yet, or reset my folder, I wanted to post this as soon as the glitch returned.
  • Options
    Okay, I'm not exactly sure what I did, but I'm pretty sure I squashed the bug for good! Thanks for the help guys, and sorry the glitch was so stubborn and i needed so much help.