Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Annoying Websites

--ginafz9l---ginafz9l- Posts: 330 Member
Helloo!

Right, so I am trying to do a little bit of research at the moment as to what people hate the most on websites (so I know what not to put on mine). Examples include pop ups and having to scroll loads to get the the content. If you agree with someone then please post that you agree, as I hope to create a little chart :P

Comments

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    A pop-up when I try to close the site and ads opening in other tabs. They are the worst when you headphones are on and suddenly you hear a guy shouting " DO YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY?!"
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Slideshows that are any longer than 15 images. Even 15 is pushing it. Nobody has time for that plum.

When the entire page reloads as you progress through a slideshow, especially if it takes you back to the top of the page and repositions your cursor so that you have to scroll down to get back to the forward button.

A million ads, especially when all million ads reload as you progress through a slideshow.

Those ads that cover the entire screen with a barely visible 'X' button. Also, slideshows.

"You'll never believe..." "This child's rare talent / teacher evisceration / metamorphosis into a caterpillar will amaze you!" "5 of the greatest fingers on my hand! Number 3 is one EVERYONE should observe!" etc. advertisements. Those need to die.

Upworthy.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I don't mind static picture ads so much but I hate hate hate video ads. Especially if it's on a website where I'm trying to watch a video already. Nothing like hearing the latest news or an interview and hearing someone start yapping about something I'm totally not interested in.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The slideshow thing is something I never thought of @Archivist. Come to think of it now and they actually kind of are annoying - it's not like anyone looks at all of it, especially the long ones
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    The slideshow thing is something I never thought of @Archivist. Come to think of it now and they actually kind of are annoying - it's not like anyone looks at all of it, especially the long ones
    There's one site that keeps showing up on my Facebook feed, and all of their slideshows take three clicks per image just to progress from one to the next. First it'll show the image, then the first half of the caption, then the second half, and each click reloads every ad on the page. It's ridiculous. What's worse is, I can't seem to block them because they have a million different Facebook pages. Answers, Answers Pop, Answers Celeb, Answers Fashion, Answers Sports, Answers Cordless Bungee Jumping, Answers blah blah blah. I want to create them as a Sims family in a house with no doors or toilets and just watch.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    Here's a reasonably comprehensive list of DON'Ts for website design, from the HTML Writer's guild. The article is old now, but the logic behind the basic design tips is sound.

hwg.org/opcenter/newsletters/tips/feb00a.html
  • Options
    EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited April 2015
    + Ads.
    + Pop-ups.
    + An article that has 20 pictures puts two pics on each page.
    + A video article even though it can be typed down.
    + Video ads.
    + Slideshows that are too long.
    + In general all those things that websites do to gain revenue. I mean, I don't have a problem with that, but Ads everywhere and Pop-ups poppping up every 5 seconds and an article focused on pics having 2 pics per page are beyond ridiculous. :angry:
    + Almost forgot. Those plum articles that have misleading or/and clickbait titles. For example: "EA shut down Maxis" ( -_-) or "You'll never believe what we found in the Amazon jungle" (a lot of trees!), and especially those that ends with an ellipsis: "A cancer patient is cured after a psychic told her that..." (Going to heaven is the cure).
    I usually try to stay away from those websites as possible. And thank you AdBlock! :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Oh and I agree with all the users above. :#

Sorry if this post came off as a rant. :# Hope your website will do well! :D
    Post edited by EsnesNommoc on
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    ANYTHING that plays sound without the user's prompting. For all they know, the user could be in a context where sound isn't exactly wanted and expected. Even then, there's a good chance the user won't even like what's playing.

Oh, and I also hate how Facebook sometimes updates its feed while you're trying to click on something, which causes you to click on something else. It's advanced stuff, but if you plan on making dynamically updating pages, try to avoid that.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    edited April 2015
    Do not click on frankly.pitas.com
    You have been warned.

Also, I dislike websites who advertise their facebook/twitter pages.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    Archivist wrote: »
    "You'll never believe..." "This child's rare talent / teacher evisceration / metamorphosis into a caterpillar will amaze you!" "5 of the greatest fingers on my hand! Number 3 is one EVERYONE should observe!" etc. advertisements. Those need to die.

I agree with everything, but this especially. I plumming hate click bait. I know its purpose, but I hate it anyway.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited April 2015
    xBob18 wrote: »
    Do not click on frankly.pitas.com
    You have been warned.

Also, I dislike websites who advertise their facebook/twitter pages.

y u do dis

Edit: Nevermind. Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs. :p
  • Options
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    Here's a reasonably comprehensive list of DON'Ts for website design, from the HTML Writer's guild. The article is old now, but the logic behind the basic design tips is sound.

hwg.org/opcenter/newsletters/tips/feb00a.html

Thanks, I was actually just looking for peoples personal opinions but oh well
  • Options
    mariesummersmariesummers Posts: 598 Member
    *ads
    *video/music pop up
    *links to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 sites this has happened before

Mostly all have this has been solved with ad blocker thankfully
  • Options
    crzy_gal_101crzy_gal_101 Posts: 1,856 Member
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    When I'm reading an article and I see this advert saying "These pictures will make you laugh like hell" or "Guess what this guy found in his basement" and it leads you to a slideshow full of ads and about 3 pictures about the thing you pressed on. I keep getting reeled in by them :/
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    A pop-up when I try to close the site and ads opening in other tabs. They are the worst when you headphones are on and suddenly you hear a guy shouting " DO YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY?!"

Omg I was on a site once and this game ad came up and I didn't know and I heard shooting and I thought it was real and screamed xDD
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Those blaring
    YOU HAVE ADBLOCK
    Popups. Shut up already.
    6JSxk49.png?1