Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"vmmap needs to take control of another process"

MettiMoeMettiMoe Posts: 2 New Member
edited February 2015 in Mac - Technical Discussions
Hey guys,

I really need your help! (I'm german, so please excuse my english)
My game crashes when I press the mouse wheel ( I don't really know if this is the right word for it. The little wheel on your mouse for scrolling) to change the angle. If I do so, the game freezes and the little mac loading circle appears. And after a few seconds this message shows up:
"vmmap needs to take control of another process for debugging to continue. Type in your password to allow this."
If I type in my password the loading process continues and nothing happens.
Apart from this my game runs perfectly.

my specs:

- iMac ( 2011)
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2
- Processor 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5
- Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
- graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

I really appreciate your help! Many thanks in advance!
Post edited by MettiMoe on

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Sounds like a memory issue. Have you tried purging your RAM?

http://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    MettiMoeMettiMoe Posts: 2 New Member
    I tried it but it doesn't help. Now I noticed that the game sometimes runs very slow...but only for 1-2 minutes. Maybe it is a memory issue because my Mac only has 4GB. Is there a way I can improve the memory?
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    You could upgrade your RAM
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    MettiMoe wrote: »
    I tried it but it doesn't help. Now I noticed that the game sometimes runs very slow...but only for 1-2 minutes. Maybe it is a memory issue because my Mac only has 4GB. Is there a way I can improve the memory?

It would do for a little bit because it's cleared out the RAM.

This seems to be a growing problem with users who have 4Gb installed so yes, upping to 8Gb will help. I purged my RAM last night after half an hour of playing and cleared out 3.5Gb!

I'm only speculating here, hopefully @ErikTheRod may be able to clarify, but maybe it has something to do with the game being 64-bit, not 32-bit like the Windows version. It's capable of accessing more RAM so is very greedy.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    stewielover1992stewielover1992 Posts: 308 Member
    I got the same message a few times, and I have 16 gb of ram. The game just runs terribly on my mac side.
  • Options
    BillTheCatBillTheCat Posts: 9 New Member
    I have the same issue. I think since I have my machine setup for development is why. I think the devs left some debug code in on accident. Hopefully the will fix soon
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Make sure you are updated to Yosemite as it seems to solve many of the Mac problems. Also make sure your game is patched as EA released a patch on Friday for the Mac Users.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    Did that and it's still happening.
  • Options
    SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    edited February 2015
    Note that this "VMMAP NEEDS TO TAKE CONTROL OF ANOTHER PROCESS" message is a generic "game has crashed" type message, and so it's likely that some of you are reporting are different issues. As for the original reported crash:
    My game crashes when I press the mouse wheel ( I don't really know if this is the right word for it. The little wheel on your mouse for scrolling)

... we have reproduced this issue and have found that some of the "extended" buttons on some mice can cause the game to crash. For the short term if you find a button like this, don't press it :neutral_face: . This will be fixed in a patch in March!
    Post edited by SimGuruModSquad on
  • Options
    Note that this "VMMAP NEEDS TO TAKE CONTROL OF ANOTHER PROCESS" message a generic "game has crashed" message and it's likely that some of you are reporting are different issues.

Could this be memory related in part?

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    In general I do not expect crashes will be related to the amount of memory you have as long as you are within spec (i.e. 4GB+).

In the case of the mouse button issue it *is* technically a memory issue: the game is referencing memory it should not be - but that is not something an end user can fix, it's a bug in the game code.

Performance can definitely be impacted by amount of available memory. If you have 4GB+ you should be OK here, but it depends what other apps are running as well as what is going on in your game and what your game options are set to.
  • Options
    In general I do not expect crashes will be related to the amount of memory you have as long as you are within spec (i.e. 4GB+).

In the case of the mouse button issue it *is* technically a memory issue: the game is referencing memory it should not be - but that is not something an end user can fix, it's a bug in the game code.

Performance can definitely be impacted by amount of available memory. If you have 4GB+ you should be OK here, but it depends what other apps are running as well as what is going on in your game and what your game options are set to.

That makes sense. 4Gb really is the minimum so for those with 8Gb+ we shouldn't get any memory crashes (apart from buggy ones :p )

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Just to throw two more cents in. Mine happened most recently after about an hour of play. I tried to go into settings and it crashed with this message. Before that it was running smooth as butter. I have 16 gb of memory so I'm sure it's not that.
  • Options
    moonlu11moonlu11 Posts: 3 New Member
    Heyy!
    I have the same problem! I downloaded this weekend and always just after I open this two messages apear. I had given my password but it doesn't work :( if someone know how to resolve this tell me please! I also have an Imac
  • Options
    moonlu11 wrote: »
    Heyy!
    I have the same problem! I downloaded this weekend and always just after I open this two messages apear. I had given my password but it doesn't work :( if someone know how to resolve this tell me please! I also have an Imac

What do you mean by "given my password"? When are you being prompted for your password?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Bubbabooboo5Bubbabooboo5 Posts: 387 Member
    I just started having this problem two days ago...and still having it with the patch...
  • Options
    If you talking about starting the game in Origin, Origin needs your Mac Admin pass word to update itself. Enter that and allow Origin to update.
  • Options
    FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    I get this now and then and it happens when I go into Settings to change something. I am slowly learning to 'save' first.

I have 8GB RAM, by the way.
  • Options
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > moonlu11 wrote: »
    >
    > Heyy!
    > I have the same problem! I downloaded this weekend and always just after I open this two messages apear. I had given my password but it doesn't work if someone know how to resolve this tell me please! I also have an Imac
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What do you mean by "given my password"? When are you being prompted for your password?

I have downloaded the game like a month ago. At first, the game did work properly but this chart opens: "vmmap needs to take control of another process for debugging to continue. Type in your password to allow this." I meant that it asked me to type my password to allow that. I did put my password, but nothing changed! Do someone know a solution? because I really want to play my sims 4 I've been waiting monthsss :(
  • Options
    moonlu11 wrote: »
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    >
    > Heyy!
    > I have the same problem! I downloaded this weekend and always just after I open this two messages apear. I had given my password but it doesn't work if someone know how to resolve this tell me please! I also have an Imac
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What do you mean by "given my password"? When are you being prompted for your password?

I have downloaded the game like a month ago. At first, the game did work properly but this chart opens: "vmmap needs to take control of another process for debugging to continue. Type in your password to allow this." I meant that it asked me to type my password to allow that. I did put my password, but nothing changed! Do someone know a solution? because I really want to play my sims 4 I've been waiting monthsss :(

It's memory related. Make sure you have nothing else open on your Mac. Having a lot of CC can cause memory issues when you're playing so if you have a lot maybe think about culling some.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's memory related. Make sure you have nothing else open on your Mac. Having a lot of CC can cause memory issues when you're playing so if you have a lot maybe think about culling some.

OK! so if that's the problem what should I do to resolve it? Thank you for your time and help! @BluebellFlora !!
  • Options
    You could add more RAM to your Mac. It's very easy to do:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT1423
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    SciberiusSciberius Posts: 7 New Member
    OK so I have had this problem on and off for a while and attributed it to running it on a minimum spec iMac. Like Mod Guru stated it doesn't seem to be the main culprit. Yes, shutting down all non-essential apps (especially iTunes) does seem to help. However, If you play for days on end like I tend to you may want to try these little tidbits that I have found to make game play a lot easier.

1) When SimsGuru starts doing his daily "I like this creation" in the Gallery, go offline. If you get off before the 4th or 5th like, game won't crash. Don't understand it, but during his daily sharing session, mine always crashes.

2) Once the crash happens, go to Origin and under the "Games" menu choose "Reload my Games". This tends to work to keep everything running smoothly. If I remember to do this before I start playing I generally can play for a really longtime with no issues.

3) If this still doesn't help, in the Origin App, right click on Sims 4 and choose "Repair my game". This will fix some of the quirkier stuff.

4) last but not least, if you love mods like me, clean out the cache on a regular basis. This step cannot be understated and is so simple to do once you get the hang of it.
  • Options
    chrissi13chrissi13 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi Everyone,

I have gotten the "vmmap" error numerous times. I am running 16GB of ram and the only other application running on my Mac is Origin which I am assuming needs to be open since there is no game disk. Please let me know if there are any other problems that could be causing this. Thanks!
  • Options
    Play in offline mode. That's what I do and I haven't had any problems with the game.