March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dag Dag

Hey Simmers!

I wanted to share some news with you. After 8 amazing years, from The Sims 2 Castaway all the way through The Sims 4 Get To Work, the time has come for me to leave The Sims Studio. This has been a deeply personal and challenging decision for me, but it’s one that I believe is the best for the future of my family. The commute between home and the studio is crazy long. When you are a young single game developer it’s something you can cope with, but when you have a young family, that 3 hour commute becomes pretty arduous, no matter how much you enjoy your work.

Make no mistake, my love for this game, the people that make it, and you guys – the people that play it with such passion! – is unwavering. Deciding to leave has been one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make.

The memories that I’ve made over the last 8 years working in The Sims Studio are ones that I will cherish for the rest of my life, and I wanted to share just a few of my favorite with you!

• Working on my very first video game, The Sims 2 Castaway, was an incredibly eye opening experience. I was blown away by not only the talent of The Sims Studio’s artists and engineers, but their commitment to creating a high quality product. BTW – Castaway is awesome. If you haven’t played it and still have a Wii or PS2, find yourself a copy – it’s a blast!

• Teasing the announcement of The Sims 3 base game. When we put this image up and unveiled the awesome new TS3 plumbob, I got my first taste of how passionate The Sims Community was. You guys went crazy!

• Working on The Sims 3 Ambitions. This was the first pack that I got to be world producer on, and I learned so much overseeing the creation of Twinbrook. Can you guess who my favorite family is? The Bayless family! Why? Because their family description is the best line of text ever written in a Sims game; The origins of the Bayless name are a bit hard to track down. Written records (where legible) even two generations back use the "less," "liss" and even "lies" suffix varietals. Debt prison records from 1788 list one Phillipe Bai l'Est as a catfish-thief and "chronic renegor" but lineage is circumstantial at best, and like little Chase says, "Why y'all cares 'bout 'postrophes?"

• The Sims 3 Town Hall – I wasn’t on stage for this event, but I got to go and it was one of the first times I got to meet some of you in person. It was so cool to talking to you and getting to know you.

• Unveiling The Sims 3 Seasons – Admittedly, my delivery during this presentation was a little shaky (my first big presentation!) but it included my most favorite line I have ever said during a live broadcast “Winter is Coming to The Sims 3!”

• The Sims 3 Island Paradise – The pack was by far the most fun I’ve had developing and releasing a Sims Expansion pack. We did quite a few live broadcasts for these. “AQUA SLEDDDDDD!”

• Gamescom 2013 and Sims Camp – Wow. All I can say is wow. This week was by far the most fun week of “work” I have ever had in my life. Game Demos, Live Broadcasts, BOAT RIDES, and of course a little Kolsch!

I could seriously go on forever.

Words cannot express what working in The Sims Studio for the last 8 years has meant to me, both personally and professionally – it has been a truly awesome experience. And I couldn’t be more excited for the future of The Sims Franchise – Get To Work is just the beginning! There is no other studio like this one, no other game franchise like The Sims, and no other fans like you. I can’t stress enough how big of an impact your encouragement (and criticism) actually has on the development of this game. You guys may not realize it but we simply couldn’t do this without you!

It has been a great pleasure creating this game with you over the last 8 years and can’t wait to see where you’ll take it in the future.

Dag Dag Simmers,

SimGuruRyan

Comments

• MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Good luck in your future endeavors, and thank you for your contributions.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,360 Member
    We ll miss you Simguru Ryan. The studio is losing a very talented person.
  • Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    I loved reading about some of your favorite memories!
    Best of luck to you. :)
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • OpicanaOpicana Posts: 379 Member
    Aww...I'm a bit teary now. Totally understandable, but you will be missed. Thank you for working on a game that has been so important in my life!
  • TheRealPinkieTheRealPinkie Posts: 27 New Member
    Goodbye, Guru Ryan. Thanks for the memories (hundreds of hours of them)
  • Kira101xKira101x Posts: 276 Member
    We'll miss you! Thanks for everything you've done and best of luck to you :smile:
  • BrandiBugBrandiBug Posts: 1,313 Member
    Aww, I'll miss you! Good luck on your next adventure!
    giphy.gif
  • SimGuruShannonSimGuruShannon Posts: 7 New Member
    Bye Ryan! We will miss you dearly and wish you the very best of luck!! HUGS!
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Good luck to you and your family. You will be missed.
  • luengarkluengark Posts: 85 Member
    Dag Dag, Ryan.
  • emochild67emochild67 Posts: 120 Member
    On one hand, i am sad to see you go. On the other hand, i am happy that you will be doing what you think is the best for you and your family. Much respect to you, and hopeful wishing for the future!
  • lal8626lal8626 Posts: 16 Member
    So sorry to hear this but sometimes you just know when it's right time to move on. Even if the decision is difficult. I loved Castaway and played it for many hours on my PS2 and is still one of my favorite games in this crazy franchise. Best of luck and you will be missed.
    Simmer 4 Life
  • LukeThePlumbobLukeThePlumbob Posts: 203 Member
    Its going to be really sad to see you go :( Good luck To you and all your family! You'll be missed!
    website-banner-april-2015.jpg

• MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    Aww! Dag dag Ryan! So many happy memories to take with you. All the best :star:
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • SimGuruRachelSimGuruRachel Posts: 2 SimGuru (retired)
    We will miss you, SimGuruRyan! Your hard work and passion for The Sims will always be a bright spot for this team. Lots of luck for the future, and enjoy all that free time you get back from your commute. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Goodbye, SimGuruRyan. Thanks for all you've done. Good luck with your future plans.
  • AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    I wish you and your loved ones the best of luck and a happy life! I loved reading your post and seeing that you enjoyed your time working on the sims. :) I hope where every you work next will bring you just as much joy if not more!

Dag dag, SimGuruRyan.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • al456al456 Posts: 306 Member
    Gonna miss you a ton! Will always remember the hilarious and fun broadcasts you and SimGuruGraham did :D From Seasons to Island paradise, some of the best expansions you were a part of :) Good luck in the future and don't forget to Shaka Bra!
    ~ SimManiac383 on the Gallery
    ~ https://twitter.com/Simmaniac383 < Twitter
    onm6UoE.jpg

~SimManiac
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    Dag Dag Ryan. You will be missed. I hope the best for you and your family wherever that might lead. :)
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    Dag dag, SimGuruRyan :(
  • 00Nur00Nur Posts: 84 Member
    Suddenly the long drive time to the work rabbit hole in Sims3 makes sense! ;) Best wishes in all you have and all you have to come. Your enthusiasm was always contagious and you left a mark on all of us. Farewell!
  • kimmyfrmtxkimmyfrmtx Posts: 140 Member
    edited February 2015
    *sad moodlet*
    Sorry to see you go but family comes first. Good luck on whatever comes next for you! Dag Dag!
    Think I will go water some plants now.
    The sims 4: I give up.
    Maxis and EA have killed the sims. RIP
  • patrygpatryg Posts: 1 New Member
    Bye SimGuruRyan. :( Good luck on your next adventure! :smile: