Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hand keeps getting stuck when dragging items from inventory

Lately when I try to drag an item from my sims inventory to either sell it or place it on the world the item will get stuck in the hand, and not let me sell, place, or do anything else with it. I can't put the item down, or pick others up. Anyone else having this issue? I've had it happen a few times now. Last time it was fixed my loading an earlier save, but this time I didn't have an earlier save as the game autosaved after this happened. I've tried reseting the sim, but since it's not the sim that is messed up it doesn't help. Also tried exiting the game completely and restarting but still have the issue. Anyone else experience this? What did you do to fix it?

Comments

• Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    I am having this issue. Anyone else?
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    Also having this issue. Since my game doesn't take long to load up, I've been saving, quitting, and coming back in and it works again. It's happened to me three times to memory but not every time I've moved things from my sim's inventory.
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    Same here. I fixed it by deleting cache files and then loading the game back up. But I am waiting to see if it happens again. Seems to be a random occurrence.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I have the same issue -- mentioned it in the "Inventory Issues Since Patch" thread. Seems to happen when I'm moving a lot of stuff from inventory, like right after I garden and I'm trying to sell off the excess. Also have the issue of way too many collectibles cluttering up inventory, but that's because EA gave us things like herbs and flowers but no place to store them. And I keep finding eggs even though I've found them all -- I'm tempted to take a break from the game till May 1 at this rate. :/
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    TAWNI1121TAWNI1121 Posts: 29 New Member
    I have the same issue as well.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    JlkealJlkeal Posts: 99 Member
    Same issue here.
  • Options
    WndblwzWndblwz Posts: 368 Member
    Repeatedly having the same issue.
  • Options
    Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    I have also been having this problem since the March 26 patch. Once the hand becomes 'stuck', the only way to clear it is to save, close and then restart the game. I have no cc or mods, and apparently repairing the game doesn't do anything to help.

I also got the inventory and mailbox glitch with that patch, but will report those bugs in the other threads for those when I find them.
  • Options
    TAWNI1121TAWNI1121 Posts: 29 New Member
    Just a tip to save a little time when this happens -- for me it goes away if I just save the game and go back to the main menu, don't have to completely close the game. I've cleared my caches but still get this bug.
  • Options
    TAWNI1121 wrote: »
    Just a tip to save a little time when this happens -- for me it goes away if I just save the game and go back to the main menu, don't have to completely close the game. I've cleared my caches but still get this bug.

I tried that but it didn't work. I had to completely close the game. I will try that next time it happens though. Seems to happen mostly when I try to drag a bunch of stuff to sell out of their inventory.
  • Options
    Bumblebee26200Bumblebee26200 Posts: 239 Member
    I found that clicking on another item in the inventory and selecting 'place in world' fixed it for me, although the inventory was still a little glitchy until I restarted the game it made things bearable :)
  • Options
    Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    I wanted to mention another thing I noticed about the *stuck hand*. Since my Sim is a gardener and collector, I am constantly clearing his inventory and have had this stuck hand problem (as noted in my previous post) pretty consistent, although randomly. So I have been really paying attention to try and see when it's most likely to occur. This is what I have noticed:

When I am selling things in inventory, or even moving things to the fridge, I have noticed that sometimes a stack of items I have just sold still appears to be in the inventory. If you are not paying attention to what you have sold, you may not realize you already did this stack of items (flowers, eggs, or whatever) and try to do it again, thinking it is another stack of items still needing to be gotten rid of. This is when the hand gets *stuck*, as it is not really there anymore, so it can't do anything with it.

If you pay attention and see that the stack you just sold (and got money for) still shows, don't click on it again. Just close the inventory, and reopen it. You will find those items are no longer there; they have been cleared. So far, this has kept me from having my hand get stuck. I did test it out, and if you click on it a second time when it's not really there anymore, the hand will become stuck into a fist, sometimes with the item on it, but sometimes just a fist without the item showing.

I'm not saying it's a solution to the entire problem, but it has helped me somewhat, so I hope it can help others also.
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    I wanted to mention another thing I noticed about the *stuck hand*. Since my Sim is a gardener and collector, I am constantly clearing his inventory and have had this stuck hand problem (as noted in my previous post) pretty consistent, although randomly. So I have been really paying attention to try and see when it's most likely to occur. This is what I have noticed:

When I am selling things in inventory, or even moving things to the fridge, I have noticed that sometimes a stack of items I have just sold still appears to be in the inventory. If you are not paying attention to what you have sold, you may not realize you already did this stack of items (flowers, eggs, or whatever) and try to do it again, thinking it is another stack of items still needing to be gotten rid of. This is when the hand gets *stuck*, as it is not really there anymore, so it can't do anything with it.

If you pay attention and see that the stack you just sold (and got money for) still shows, don't click on it again. Just close the inventory, and reopen it. You will find those items are no longer there; they have been cleared. So far, this has kept me from having my hand get stuck. I did test it out, and if you click on it a second time when it's not really there anymore, the hand will become stuck into a fist, sometimes with the item on it, but sometimes just a fist without the item showing.

I'm not saying it's a solution to the entire problem, but it has helped me somewhat, so I hope it can help others also.

I agree with this.

Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    JlkealJlkeal Posts: 99 Member
    I noticed that as well, Simberella777. I have been mostly avoiding the 'stuck fist' thing, but occasionally I get distracted (when my cat decides he wants attention NOW, lol) and I end up with that stupid fist again. The trick for me is to slow down and pause between the objects I am clearing out. Even though I want to hurry up clearing out the sims inventory, because I get so tired of doing it. :/
  • Options
    DyrewitchDyrewitch Posts: 465 Member
    Same here .
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I had this too. Changing lots fixed it and let me get at the things I couldn't in inventory. It definitely happened when I was on an inventory-management binge. I'll stick to small batches for that now.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    z9s3v7z9s3v7 Posts: 28 New Member
    I've had this issue twice. Exiting the game and going back in seemed to fix the issue.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

Yep. Good eye. That's how it happened for me too. I was putting paintings up on the wall of my sims gallery and I clicked on a painting a second time even though it was hanging on the wall, it was still in inventory. After trying to move it out again is when I got the stuck hand.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    I'm having the same issue as everyone else in this thread. I wish EA would address it.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue as everyone else in this thread. I wish EA would address it.

Hello.
    Simmers have found that it can help when the issue happens, to do this :
    Try dragging a painting off an easel or moving a painting on the wall, and that can unstick the cursor.